Anybody Survive Heat Damage w/o Cutting?

Maksi

My hair texture has changed after having too much heat applied to my hair (mainly in the crown area, which is looser in curl pattern anyway). What I'm left with is hair that reminds me of a mild relaxer/texturizer. I've transitioned out of a texturizer before for 21 months w/o too much difficulty. I'm thinking this will be the same. Has anyone transitioned from heat damaged hair to natural? If so, what can I expect?
I'm working on getting some photos up soon.
Thanks!
Maksi

I got heat damage after a press one time at the salon last June. The stylist used the marcel stove and flat iron with no heat protector. Over a three month period some of it 'gradually' reverted back, but some pieces stayed straight. I cut those pieces out.

I got my hair pressed recently with a FHI ceramic iron for a special occasion. I was so scared it would not revert, but to my surprise all of my hair reverted after I shampooed. From now on, if I get it pressed it will only be with a ceramic iron with moderate heat. I learned the hard way that straightening combs and marcel stoves are a no-no for natural hair. Hope your hair reverts back. Give it some time.

bmoreflyygirl said:
Why don't you just trim it a little at a time until it's all gone?

Exactly! This is what I'm thinking--but so many times I've read where people with heat damage 'just cut it off,' or 'had to cut three inches,' etc. etc.
BTW, your puff is gorgeous! :)
Thanks, Maksi

BrownSkin2 said:
I got heat damage after a press one time at the salon last June. The stylist used the marcel stove and flat iron with no heat protector. Over a three month period some of it 'gradually' reverted back, but some pieces stayed straight. I cut those pieces out.

I got my hair pressed recently with a FHI ceramic iron for a special occasion. I was so scared it would not revert, but to my surprise all of my hair reverted after I shampooed. From now on, if I get it pressed it will only be with a ceramic iron with moderate heat. I learned the hard way that straightening combs and marcel stoves are a no-no for natural hair. Hope your hair reverts back. Give it some time.

Sorry this happened to you too, but it sounds like you are a survivor. It's encouraging that some of your hair reverted over a 3 month period. I have also noticed that my hair is getting wavier. But the texture is not the same. Twistouts just don't have the same fluff.
How much did you end up cutting off and why? Thanks, Maksi

i just went through the same thing. After my press was washed, not all of my hair reverted back. I immediately got braids. I kept them in for three months. After I took out the braids, some of my hair still did not revert. I just cut it bit by bit and kept washing. I just recently had an inch and a half cut off...not because some of the ends were still straight, but because i hadn't had a hair cut since I did the BC in Nov. '05. You'll survive it...believe me.

Maksi said:
Sorry this happened to you too, but it sounds like you are a survivor. It's encouraging that some of your hair reverted over a 3 month period. I have also noticed that my hair is getting wavier. But the texture is not the same. Twistouts just don't have the same fluff.
How much did you end up cutting off and why? Thanks, Maksi

I end up trimming the straight pieces because I wanted to be able to wear a wash n' go. It was not alot though. It was only in the lower nape area and above my ears. I cut about 1 1/2 in. in some places. My hair was only about 3 inches at the time anyway.

Back