Any Texlaxed Ladies Wear Their Rollersets W/O Flat-ironing?

LocksOfLuV

Is this even possible to rock a smooth/sleek rollerset W/O the flat iron while being texlaxed (or not relaxed bone straight)?

*prays* Please say it is so!

If so, how to you maintain it while you sleep??

SohoHair

Yup! I do all the time, in fact i haven't flat ironed since October. I pin curl my hair at night and have gorgeous curls that last all week. In order to get the set really smooth I roll upwards (I find if get the roots sleeker), use a serum, and wet the roller and my hair thoroughly.

OneInAMillion

Me! I just pincurl at night. This works well until about 4 months post. The key is getting that roller down tight. My hair dresser is really good about that too, as she gets it much tighter than me.

LocksOfLuV

SohoHair said:
Yup! I do all the time, in fact i haven't flat ironed since October. I pin curl my hair at night and have gorgeous curls that last all week. In order to get the set really smooth I roll upwards (I find if get the roots sleeker), use a serum, and wet the roller and my hair thoroughly.

Okay see, I am getting a relaxer in a feww weeks and I was gonna just bun but I reeeeeaally want to wear it down. I want to look sexy at my SOs game.:D

Dangit I got to try rolling upwards!!

LocksOfLuV

OneInAMillion said:
Me! I just pincurl at night. This works well until about 4 months post. The key is getting that roller down tight. My hair dresser is really good about that too, as she gets it much tighter than me.

Okay so it sounds like the key is pincurling at night. What do you use to secure the pin-curls?

Sosoothing

Yes it is. It took me a while to find what worked for me. All I needed were my mesh rollers, coconut oil conditioning jelly (yup:) ) and my hooded dryer. My hair didnt even need to be soaking wet but I had to make sure the hair was taught and sleek on the roller. The way the hair rests on the roller is the way it comes out. It turned out very nicely.

To maintain it, I made pin curls, as someone suggested here, and then wrapped my scarf before bed. I will be doing it again this weekend and will take pictures this time.

SohoHair

LocksOfLuV said:
Okay so it sounds like the key is pincurling at night. What do you use to secure the pin-curls?

I use Good Hair Day hairpins, since they are gentle and don't snag or damage my hair. I buy them at Sally's.

The Girl

Lkaysgirl said:
Yes it is. It took me a while to find what worked for me. All I needed were my mesh rollers, coconut oil conditioning jelly (yup:) ) and my hooded dryer. My hair didnt even need to be soaking wet but I had to make sure the hair was taught and sleek on the roller. The way the hair rests on the roller is the way it comes out. It turned out very nicely.

To maintain it, I made pin curls, as someone suggested here, and then wrapped my scarf before bed. I will be doing it again this weekend and will take pictures this time.
please do and I love mesh rollers as well.

glamazon386

I used to but I got tired of pincurling after a few nights so I always ended up just wrapping it. I never flat ironed it though. I used those little clips you use with the magnetic rollers to hold the pin curls though.

crlsweetie912

I use pincurls too. I use the same clips that I showed you in the thread yesterday about rollersetting. I like to wear my hair on the curly side so I use about 20 give or take a few. For less curl somewhere between 5-10 would be my best guess.

OneInAMillion

LocksOfLuV said:

I use the long bobby pins. I know some ppl say they're bad, but haven't experienced any problems while using them. I probably make about 20 pincurls (I like them pretty tight though).

lonei

It seems that I'm the odd one out, there is no way I can NOT flat iron after otherwise it is so frizzy and poofy in certain sections! I cant wait till all my hair is bone straight again!

sprungonhairboards

I always flatiron after my rollerset. I can't rollerset tight enough to make my hair straight, especially the roots. I probably could'nt do it if my hair was fully relaxed either. I'm just not that good at rollersetting. I can't for the life of me understand how people do it and get the hair so smooth and straight and tight. Half way through drying some of my rollers are usually falling out and I'm putting them back in.

Aura

Me too! There is "NO" way, I can rollerset with the regular magnetic rollers without flatironing my roots, and I have 4b hair, Maybe if I put the mesh rollers on super tight with pins it my work, but I haven't tried it yet. But my roots is like an afro once it's dry.

LocksOfLuV

Aww I hope I can get it straight enough. I feel kinda discouraged now.:(

Although I plan to rollerset after I get a fresh relaxer/texlax. Oh well, we will see.

OneInAMillion

You know what, the product that I use when rollersetting also has a lot to do with how flat my roots come out after a rollerset. I think you'll get better results if you use something like Silicon Mix, or something with plenty of cones in it. Another good one is the Hydra TLC Mask. The first time I used this, I was probably 5 months post and I intended to get my roots blown out. My roots came out so smooth that I decided not to have them blown out.

Let us know what works for ya!

LocksOfLuV

OneInAMillion said:
You know what, the product that I use when rollersetting also has a lot to do with how flat my roots come out after a rollerset. I think you'll get better results if you use something like Silicon Mix, or something with plenty of cones in it. Another good one is the Hydra TLC Mask. The first time I used this, I was probably 5 months post and I intended to get my roots blown out. My roots came out so smooth that I decided not to have them blown out.

Let us know what works for ya!

Oh yeah, I knows bout them cones!!!!:lol: But yeah, I will let you ladies know.

prettypuff1

i do roller sets. i sit under the hooded dryer once a week after i wash, then i just reroll nightly. It is big hair but i like it

Sosoothing

JustMeSteph said:
please do and I love mesh rollers as well.

Not too shabby is it?

Isis

Lkaysgirl said:

Not too shabby is it?
Very pretty!! Your roots do look smooth and straight too!

I too rollerset on my texlaxed hair and I've never owned a flat iron. I use the ponytail method to get my roots taut (but not too tight) and airdry that way in my dripping wet rollerset. My roots aren't sleek but I like my rollersets. :)

lonei

lonei said:
It seems that I'm the odd one out, there is no way I can NOT flat iron after otherwise it is so frizzy and poofy in certain sections! I cant wait till all my hair is bone straight again!

I take it back, I used flexi rods and because you can pull them extremely taught, it came out super straight! I love the curls they are not frizzy at all! I will be doing this from now on hopefully and only using the maxiglide if i set my hair on large roller after a relaxer in order to trim it!

Mortons

I can never get my hair straight from just roller sets. I think that I need to practice them more. I have only done them 2 times.

Whimsy

I'd suggest pin-curling at night to keep the curls. If you want to wear it straight w/o a flat iron you can just wrap your hair around your head after it's all dry. it'll be flat/smooth but with great body.

dlewis

I rollerset without flatironing afterwards and I'm texlaxed. After 3 weeks I can't get my roots straight but that's because I normally have a lot of new growth. So sometimes (not all the time) I'll straighten my roots with the curling iron.

The picture in my siggy is 5 weeks post relaxer, so I straighten around the front hairline because of an event I had to go to.

I do a loose wrap at night to maintain my curls.

Last edited:

ladylibra

i used to back when i was relaxed/textlaxed... here's the only pic i have, not the best example though...

also i sucked at pincurls so... after a day or 2 i just wrapped my hair. this way it wasn't stick-straight and it was full of body.