Any naturals that grew their hair past apl wearing it out?

Did you grow your hair past apl w/minimal psing

• Yes I did using braid/twistouts

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Yes I did using wash'n gos/ puffs

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • Yes I did using heat like blowouts/pressing/rollersets etc.

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • I grew my hair past Apl using mostly PS

Votes: 25 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I probably could if my strands were thicker/courser. I don't mind protective styling, because I like how I look in them. Even when I was relaxed, I had to wear protective styles to retain.

constance said:
Krystle~Hime, this is totally me. I would be bald if I wore my hair out most of the time. PS for life.:yep:

For my hair, ps is the best way for me to retain my growth. Rarely do I wear my hair out. If I do, it's 4 special occasions & only in the summer. If I want 2 wear an "out" style, I wear a wig.

@PinkPeony Aren't they awesome? A cute variation to them are the hairzing check out their website hairzing.com they even have a variation for exercisers that need a firmer hold to keep hair in place! I found out we get a 10% disc when you enter LHCF in the promo code field at checkout

Last edited:
How long did you grow your hair? My hair is mbl now.

What styles would you wear? I wear braidouts b/c they require the least amount of time and effort, but look the best on me.

How long did it take you? I've been natural for about 5 yrs, but i kept it a twa for maybe 2 yrs, then started attempting to retain length. So it took about 2.5 yrs to get from nape length to mbl for me.

What do you think contributed to your success? Sealing my ends regularly. My retention took off after I decided one day to try sealing my ends with some left over shea butter that I decided I wouldn't use on the length of my hair anymore. I challenged myself to seal multiple times a week, and NOT trim at all for 3 months (after giving myself one last major trim). When the 3 months were up, I saw that I still didn't need a trim, and all the splits and knots that I would constantly sprout up like 2 days after trimming weren't there. Plus I retained at least an inch of the 1.5 I should've grown in that time (the growth was noticeable). These days I'm hella trifling and lazy with my hair, but I still manage to seal my ends at least twice a week.

I've grown my hair to bra strap length without protective styles 4 times over the years.

I wear my hair out almost all of the time, but because of it my ends become a dry crispy mess when I get to bra strap length. I've been wearing protective styles now for 3 weeks straight and I can already tell a huge difference, in the way my hair looks and feels.

Definitely protective styling... I mean... I don’t see myself co washing everyday or leaving my hair loose... Hell-to-the-no! SSKs, tangling, mating and all that stuffs...hum...
I actually PS because I am lazy. I want to wake up in the boring with my hair already done :yep:

@**SaSSy**

Wow! You're like my natural hair twin! My last relaxer was in Feb 2010 also! :yep:

Also, I cut my hair around the fall time too....I bc'd in October 2010, but my hair is no where NEAR APL like yours. :look: Wonder what I'm doing wrong?? :look: :ohwell:

Have you trimmed your hair since?

I feel like my hair is growing (definitely!), but not as fast as yours. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, because when I pull my hair, it doesn't feel like it's even close to APL!! :nono:

Crystalicequeen123, I do little to no trimming months at a time, and have only dusted once this summer. I have at least 80% shrinkage, and I don't use heat (once or twice a year with medium heat blow drying), so people are really surprise when I wear my hair blown out, or in some other stretched style.

Back