Air Dry experts please chime-in

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
I have been airdrying my relaxed hair off and on for over a year. It's going great but I can't seem to master keeping my ends from drying up and becoming crispy. Can you ladies tell me how your hair is air dried (in a wrap? ponytail? bun?) and what products give you great results. It seems that my hair prefers to be sealed with Green Tea Butter, but I need something else.
Feel free to point me to any threads I've missed :look:

Thanks!

Hey, I know plenty of you still airdry, relaxed, natural and everyone inbetween. Anyone?

How often do you dust or protective style? The ends of your hair are the oldest and most worn and so to keep them looking fresh, you really need to dust regularly so you have new ends and to wear them often in a protective style. Do you seal them?

It's a long time since I was relaxed but I used to use a serum (John Frieda) on my damp hair and the results were smooth strands. Perhaps a serum on your ends might help seal them and keep them from drying up?

*tiptoes out of a thread on relaxed hair because I know nothing about caring for it*

I juice my ends with HS14 and then seal with aragon oil or CO or CO mixed with EVOO. mmmmmm but I do that every morning and evening.
I PS with buns also and that has helped tons.

I make sure to use a good DC (Kenra MC, for me) with heat. After that, I use Roux PC. (Since I found this product, my ends have been AMAZING when I air dry). I follow with my leave in (rusk and GVP The Conditioner) and then seal with oil. I lightly comb through my hair every 30 min and by the time my hair is dry it's really soft and silky...especially the ends. Also make sure that your ends aren't damaged...

Thanks guys!
I know it's not damage...I've been doing this awhile and my last trim was 2 weeks ago (before that was a year and only an inch needed to be cut). I think a serum would be good. I don't use alot of cones but I'm open to suggestions.

I make sure to use a good DC (Kenra MC, for me) with heat. After that, I use Roux PC. (Since I found this product, my ends have been AMAZING when I air dry). I follow with my leave in (rusk and GVP The Conditioner) and then seal with oil. I lightly comb through my hair every 30 min and by the time my hair is dry it's really soft and silky...especially the ends. Also make sure that your ends aren't damaged...

Co-signing. Using the Roux PC after my DC (and prior to applying my leave-in) really helps. My ends tend to be very dry also.

I air dry in two pigtails, the ends sealed with argan oil and jane carter nourish and shine. Then i just wrap them around the ponytail holders like little buns. Since they're soaking wet they stay in the buns on their own. No pins necessary.

Unless I'm trying a rollerset this is the only other way I dry my hair. After I wash and condition put in a leave a little wrap foam and wrap my hair and flat iron the next morning if I want to wear it down. Otherwise I pull it up in a bun and go.

I air dry my hair in two plaits that are rolled up separately and pinned. Before that, I moisturize and seal using coconut oil. I make sure my ends get a healthy dose of saturation before braiding them.

Im by no means an expert on airdrying, however for the past 4 weeks Ive been airdrying my hair successfully without the dry crunchy ends I use to have when I air dried. The key for me was using leave ins that aided in keeping my ends from drying out and reapplying them a few times throughout the airdrying process. I use BBD Stretch Cream and Joico Restorative hair oil. Also since my ends tend to dry before the rest on my hair I lightly apply JBCO to the ends once they are about 90% dry to keep them soft. I air dry my hair using the scarf method and I let the back just hang.

Sounds like i'm just missing the right products for my ends. I will rotate my oils and see what works.
Thanks!

I find its about the DC and the products you use after. I always use a leave-in, seal with oil, moisturize and detangle, then airdry. I let the hair dry for about an hour and then I style (Its 80% dry at this point).

Nightly I take down the style, apply moisturizer to my ends mostly and then I brush through my hair with a boar bristle brush to distribute oils from the scalp (sebum) and the moisturizer throughout my hair.

My nightly moisturizing is for my ends, not the rest of my hair cause it stays moisturized from wash day. I stole these techniques from Macherieamour and my hair comes out great every time, plus the nightly moisturizing keeps my ends happy.

I use:
DC: Aubrey Organics White Camellia
Leave-In: Bee Mine Deja's Hair Milk
Sealant: So many oils (usually castor/sweet almond oil mix or Avocado/EVOO mix)
Wash Day Moisturizer: Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier (this stuff will keep your hair moisturized for LOOONNNGGGG periods of time)

Nightly Moisturizer: Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer (light enough to use often, has enough oilis to not need a sealant and leaves the hair soft and moisturized every time).

HTH!

My hair is good for the week after my DC days.I moisturize my ends only every night. I think I will try sealing my ends with and avocado oil mix. I'll report back after my next DC.

I air dried my hair overnight by putting it in a bun. I put my leave ins in and moisturized and sealed. No frizzy ends :yep:

Back