Adding oil to relaxer?

PatTodd

Ladies, I'm about to touch up my hair for the first time in six months and for the first time since joining the forum. I seem to recall some ladies mentioning adding oil to the relaxer mix for added moisture. I need some guidance on this. How much oil, and what kind? I will be switching from no-lye to lye for the first time and will probably be using Vitale regular formula. Thanks in advance.

I added a teaspoon of sweet almond oil and avocado oil to the amount of relaxer I used to touch up. I really wanted to use some Aphogee Essential Fatty Acid (EFA) oil, but I couldn't find any.

Adding oils makes the relaxer more creamy and your hair is more moisturized afterwards. I'll be adding oils to mine from here on out.

HTH

Thanks ladies. One more question - since I have SO much new growth, I will probably mix up an entire batch of relaxer to avoid running out.

Kombov_dymond, are you saying you add one teaspoon EACH of sweet almond and avocado oil? I am assuming you use half a container of relaxer for your touch up - should I add four teaspoons total to an entire container? Thanks in advance!

Back