ACV rinse + low pH conditoner = dry hair?

Miosy

I normally do a ACV rinse after every conditoner. I started using Elucence conditoner which has a low pH of about 4.5 to 5.5. After I rinse the conditioner, I did my normal ACV and my hair didn't get that slip at all. It felt yucky. I am guessing since the conditioner already has a low pH, an ACV will only make the effect of the rinse more concentrated resulting in a lower pH.

Are other conditioner more on the basic side like Lekair cholestrol and Motions Moisture Plus because I always got that slip afterwards w/ a ACV rinse. I'm guessing that the ACV rinse cancels out with the basic conditoner and brings the hair back to neutral pH.

What do you guys think? Sorry for the long post.
smirk.gif

This is the same thing that happened to me when I used an ACV and Elucence (i use my conditioners on top of an ACV...no rinsing) and your right
smile.gif
. Acid pH conditioners with an ACV can be disastrous leaving your hair tangly with very little/no slip. This has also happened to me when I used Keracare's Humecto and I know I get some serious slip consistently when using this conditioner. I didn't experience this when I used Suaves humectant or Pantene for example. I got tons of slip.

So I now have to look to see which conditioners have an acid pH and be more cognizant not to do an ACV with them

I'm so glad for this topic because I was just about to go out and buy some apple cider vinegar to rinse my hair with, but decided to settle for now with my Pantene 2 in 1.

Can you explain more about ph and an ACV rinse? Or would you know where I can go to learn more about it. I'm sure I'll understand these posts a little bit more.

Sweetyb,

There are a couple of threads describing how an ACV rinse benefits your hair. Things I can remember off of the top of my head is that it gently clarifies, adds shine, manageability and that it closes the cuticles along the hairshaft.

I do remember a couple of posts where some people have tried it and hated it and now I’m thinking that this is what the reason may be. Interestingly enough, I was talking to a co-worker of mine who used an ACV rinse with Ensure and experienced matted hair.
shocked.gif
Ensure never worked for me when used alone in that it tangled my hair up anyway. I’m thinking that the combined acidity of both an acid pH conditioner + ACV is cumulative meaning that the pH may be too low which results in tangly hair. Not everyone will experience this but shoooo, it sounds good to me!
laugh.gif

Where is Supergirl???? <QQ> Do you or does anyone know which conditioners have a low pH? The only ones I can think of are Keracare’s Humecto and Ensure. Perhaps some conditioners are not compatible with an ACV.

do you guys know that I truly love this board!
this makes perfect sense. I've also experience the same after using humecto but not after using lekair cholesterol.
I seem to learn something new each time I come here.
kiss.gif

Thanks for the info. I guess I will try the diluted ACV rinse after a deep conditioning.

Does anyone know the pH's for hair products? I may make this another thread though.

Honi said:
This is the same thing that happened to me when I used an ACV and Elucence (i use my conditioners on top of an ACV...no rinsing) and your right
smile.gif
. Acid pH conditioners with an ACV can be disastrous leaving your hair tangly with very little/no slip. This has also happened to me when I used Keracare's Humecto and I know I get some serious slip consistently when using this conditioner. I didn't experience this when I used Suaves humectant or Pantene for example. I got tons of slip.

So I now have to look to see which conditioners have an acid pH and be more cognizant not to do an ACV with them
So Suave Humectant and Pantene Conditioners have high pHs???? How do you find out the pH of conditioners??? Is it on the bottle somewhere???

you can use ph test strips, that you would use for a pool or a hot tub just dip it into your shampoo or conditioner like you would to the water. I think a good ph lever is between 4 or 6 I read some where.

Ar010 said:
okay I am so confused. I thought an ACV was to be used before the conditioner.

Ar010, it's just a matter of preference. I know of people who use ACV before they shampoo. Some use it before the conditioner (I do this) and others use it as a final rinse. HTH. :)

Back