ACV Rinse, how often???

mika vs sasha

So, I saw the other thread on ACV which made me remember that I have a enitre bottle in the kitchen. Well, I was thinking about adding this to my Sat. morning hair routine. How often would you use ACV rinse, once a week or twice a month or 1 once a month.

I just started do an ACV rinse once a week after I was with a shampoo and just before I condition.

I switched from ACV to neutralizing poo which I use once every other poo.

Why did you switch? Also what will the neutralizing poo do for your hair, because I have 3 big bottles and I only use it after a perm.:confused:

So, I saw the other thread on ACV which made me remember that I have a enitre bottle in the kitchen. Well, I was thinking about adding this to my Sat. morning hair routine. How often would you use ACV rinse, once a week or twice a month or 1 once a month.

I actually leave it on.

I have a mist bottle with Infusion 23 repairologie, moisturologie, ACV and aloe vera juice and water.

I was first trying it out, but I like it so I'm keeping this as my mist concoction. Not to mention I have way too many products and I'm trying to use what I have instead of buying more stuff. :look:

Yes, i was wondering this myself. I find out that if you have really dry hair to co wash, so now i only shampoo maybe once a month and condition wash every two to three day. Since i don't shampoo as often, i needed a acv rinse to remove any buildup and was wondering how often. I also need to know what are the measurement, acv to how much water?

Thanks Meverllyn

I used it once as my final step but it was way to harsh and drying on my hair, so now i use it only when my hair doesn't seem to be behaving as usual, which is about once every 3-4 weeks. And I use it between shampoo and conditioner. I fill a glass with warm water and add about 2 tbsp of ACV.

On average I'd say about twice a month. I fill up an 8 ounce plastic applicator bottle with warmed sage tea and add a few spoonfuls of ACV into it. I shake it up and pour it over my hair after I've shampooed then follow with a moisturizing conditioner.

Tea spoons??? That's why it's good to post BEFORE you doing something to your hair. I filled up half a cup, filled the rest with water and then poured it over my hair. It made my hair super dry. No wonder why :nono: Maybe I'll give it a try and have better results

just did my first one today and my hair loved it! It felt really soft and it was a lot easier to do my rollerset. I barely lost any hair.

I was so inspired that I'm letting my hair air dry to see how the rollerset turns out.

======

How often do you wash?

At least twice a week. I love ACV rinses so when I was wearing twists, I did one daily. I needed to get my hair wet for the twists to hang straight down - I'd let them drip dry that way. So I'd do a CW and rinse with water then ACV rinse. Or I would just make the solution in a basin and dunk my head till twists were saturated then drape a towel around shoulders and let my twists drip dry. I even used to spritz my hair with a solution of ACV, EOs of lavendar, rosemary and geranium, glycerin and distilled water. This was daily so in a way, I ACV'd daily.

BTW, the solutions I've been reading about are way stronger than mine, which could explain why you guys are getting drying effects. I put about a 1/4 cup in a full basin of water and I've never had problems. When I used to use a gallon container to make my solution and pour it over my head, I would use 2 tablespoons (about 1/8 of a cup) of ACV then fill the gallon container with water.

Too much acidity can be bad for your hair, so the way I look at it, even the smallest drop of ACV makes the solution acidic if the water is filtered or soft (which is what you want), and if the water is hard, that little drop neutralizes it a touch making it more acidic than it was (again that's still better than using the hard water). So better to err on the side of having the solution too dilute that to damage the proteins in the hair by having too conc a solution.

At least twice a week. I love ACV rinses so when I was wearing twists, I did one daily. I needed to get my hair wet for the twists to hang straight down - I'd let them drip dry that way. So I'd do a CW and rinse with water then ACV rinse. Or I would just make the solution in a basin and dunk my head till twists were saturated then drape a towel around shoulders and let my twists drip dry. I even used to spritz my hair with a solution of ACV, EOs of lavendar, rosemary and geranium, glycerin and distilled water. This was daily so in a way, I ACV'd daily.

BTW, the solutions I've been reading about are way stronger than mine, which could explain why you guys are getting drying effects. I put about a 1/4 cup in a full basin of water and I've never had problems. When I used to use a gallon container to make my solution and pour it over my head, I would use 2 tablespoons (about 1/8 of a cup) of ACV then fill the gallon container with water.

Too much acidity can be bad for your hair, so the way I look at it, even the smallest drop of ACV makes the solution acidic if the water is filtered or soft (which is what you want), and if the water is hard, that little drop neutralizes it a touch making it more acidic than it was (again that's still better than using the hard water). So better to err on the side of having the solution too dilute that to damage the proteins in the hair by having too conc a solution.

Good tip, girl!!! That's why it wasnt working for me. Now, 2 questions for you -
(1) when do u do the ACV rinse? b4 DC or as a final rinse?
(2) when you say twists, do u mean extensions?

I just did 1 this weekend to the braids in my weave, but I smelled like a pickle for 2 days, so I had to wash again. I also wanted to remove the product buildup from the Surge, MoistureAide, Infusium, etc. Looks like I needed more water.

I usually shampoo, deep condition and do it right before my final rinse. 2 full cups of warm water with about 2 tbs of acv. I poor it over my hair, slap a baggy on and continue showering. Then I do a final cold water rinse over my entire and head and I'm done.

Also, give the honey rinse a try. Very moisturizing. Do it the same way you would an ACV rinse.

Good tip, girl!!! That's why it wasnt working for me. Now, 2 questions for you -
(1) when do u do the ACV rinse? b4 DC or as a final rinse?
(2) when you say twists, do u mean extensions?

1) I do the ACV as my very final rinse. It just makes sense to me to do it then since it closes the hair cuticles leaving them smooth and locking in the goodness of the conditioner. Doing it before conditioner seems to me like it just makes it harder for conditioner to enter the hair shaft, although some people do prefer this method. I also like it as a final step because it ensures that my scalp is left residue free, so no risk of itches from left over conditioner. Some people fear that it will strip off the conditioner from your hair, but I don't believe it does. My hair feels very smooth and moisturized after every wash with conditioning or after every DC when I complete each session with an ACV rinse.

2) When I say twists, I mean twists on just my hair. In this first pic, you can see how the twists lie straight at the front, albeit shrunken. That's because I dunked my head in ACV solution and styled them wet letting them drip-dry in position. The back of the hair shows twists that I redid after my hair dried. The back twists were not re-dunked in ACV solution so notice how wavy they are.
Twistoutbraidedupdo-vi.jpg

Here's another pic of my twists hanging down straight because I dunked them and let them drip dry:
AirdryingTwists-vi.jpg

Even to create the style below, I dipped them in ACV solution then made the ponies so that the weight of the water would make them kinda hang instead of sticking up in the air. Letting them drip dry, to me, gave a neater appearance:
TwistsinPigtails07_2006-vi.jpg

I haven't worn twists with extensions but I am wearing extension braids. Since I am wearing water wave (wet and wavy), the ends of the extensions where my hair doesn't reach get wavy after a wash. So drip drying leaves them like this:
BraidsApril2007-vi.jpg

To get them completely straight, I usually air-dry my braids in the style below, after an ACV rinse:
AirdryingUpdoBraids-vi.jpg

I might not be doing it correctly but I avc rinse before I cowash inbetween shampoo's. i do it that way so that i can wait untill wash day but still have "clean" hair.

Why did you switch? Also what will the neutralizing poo do for your hair, because I have 3 big bottles and I only use it after a perm.:confused:

I switched because I got tired of mixing up stuff in my shower. I love being a mixologist, but that was taking it a little too far. :lachen:I also stopped because you can smell ACV on your hair if you do it as a final rinse AND because too much ACV in the ratio and it'll make your hair hard. Sometimes I got it just right and sometimes I didn't.

Originally, I started using it because wanted to use up the rest of the poo that came in the relaxer kit and make absolutely sure it was neturalized. After that first post-relaxer use, I was hooked. It made my hair all buttery soft and detangled :huh: I was amazed.

Thank you...

I am going to try using it more often... I am at the end of a stretch and it helps my hair so much...

Thanks again

I switched because I got tired of mixing up stuff in my shower. I love being a mixologist, but that was taking it a little too far. :lachen:I also stopped because you can smell ACV on your hair if you do it as a final rinse AND because too much ACV in the ratio and it'll make your hair hard. Sometimes I got it just right and sometimes I didn't.

Originally, I started using it because wanted to use up the rest of the poo that came in the relaxer kit and make absolutely sure it was neturalized. After that first post-relaxer use, I was hooked. It made my hair all buttery soft and detangled :huh: I was amazed.

Thanks so much,Sareca!!!!:kiss: I will be pulling out my big bottles of neturalizing shampoo!!!!:yep:

Sareca, you must've been using a lot because once the hair dries, you're not supposed to smell the ACV at all. You hair just has a "clean" smell. For those who can't stand the smell while the hair is drying, try adding essential oils as I do. I love that my hair doesn't have a perfumery smell but just a light scent of the oils, if any.

Back