6 Month Ayurveda Challenge

This past Friday I did my second henna treatment... loved it -- looks great, no grays!

For a daily routine:

Every morning I co-wash, moisturize, seal (vatika or coconut oil) and style. At night I rinse my hair thoroughly, using a rinse of amla, brahmi, and hibiscus; then moisturize and seal with brahmi oil and baggie.

This Thurs. evening I will pre-poo overnight with shikaki oil.

Clarify and rinse thorougly on Fri. morning. Use amla, brahmi, and bhringraj powders mixed together with my crece pelo conditioner and a little coconut oil as a DC for about an hour under a heating cap.

Rinse this mixture (it makes my hair so soft). Moisturize, seal, style and be on my way.

Sounds like you didn't use a leave-in. The Profective Root Health is full of protein and will not leave your hair soft. The Dr. Bronner's is a good alternative, I cannot say whether or not it will be drying, but I think you're going to have to play that by the ear.

For your mom I would probably just use an oil and a shampoo bar to keep it simple. How about oil to pre-poo, shampoo bar, and a DC. Maybe a second Ayurvedic oil to seal the leave-in and moisturizer or the same one. HTH!

I forgot to put that in my post. I used NTM Silk Touch as a leave-in, I don't think my natural hair likes it :nono:, I'm still looking for products for that she likes :lick: Thanks for the reggie for my mom, I'll try that:yep: Man I didn't know the root health was full of protein :wallbash: I need to go look up some more moisturizing stuff and try to lay off the protein. Thanks for telling me!

I forgot to put that in my post. I used NTM Silk Touch as a leave-in, I don't think my natural hair likes it :nono:, I'm still looking for products for that she likes :lick: Thanks for the reggie for my mom, I'll try that:yep: Man I didn't know the root health was full of protein :wallbash: I need to go look up some more moisturizing stuff and try to lay off the protein. Thanks for telling me!

NTM is full of cones and most people don't find it that great of a leave-in, but its still a great moisturizer. Try it as a moisturizer its great. As far a leave-in goes, I like Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Leave-In and Giovanni Direct Leave-In. HTH!

Sareca's thread got me to making oils when I first started with Ayurveda. I made one with Shikakai, Amla, Neem. And another one with Bhringhaj, Brahmi, Amla. I later added Horsetail & Nettle to the second one. I bought the glass oil bottles from Target, melted my Coconut oil down and filled the bottle almost full. (leave room for the powder). Then I poured it in a tiny Crockpot I bought for this purpose. I added a teaspoon each of whatever powders and let it simmer for about six hours also. I have to admit I'm too lazy to strain, So I let it sit in the pot for a few days, and when all the sludge/powder settles to the bottom I pour the oil off the top. Most ladies use one of the methods mentioned above. I think the next time I make one I'll try using the tea bags. I also Infused some Vatika oil with Shikakai, Bhringraj, & Fenugreek. This one I call my Vatika cocktail. It's great way to keep the Fenugreek in my hair when I don't want to make tea or deal with the gumminess. The Shikakai I'm using is in the bar now, & the Bhringraj I have right now is kinda stemy, so using it for this purpose works out great. Warning these oils don't smell good :nono:, so you might want to add some EO. I didn't add anything to mine so I've recently been using them at night (not the one with the Horsetail) and cowashing them out in the morning.

Thank you Flowin and Cassandra!

Still spritzing my hair with my ayurveda blend of powders and oils daily. I may have to switch to every other day to avoid buildup. I'll see.

Okay I have got to up my moisture. I am thinking about ordering the shealoe butter and I also am ready to switch from ORS to another moisturizing condish. Any suggestions?

I would love to join in as well.
I have been doing ayurveda products for a month. So far so good.

I learned never to mix shikakai and aritha together... talk about dry thirsty hair. took a week to regain moisture!!

Starting Pic:
100_2696.jpg

My Regimen
Wash #1:
Deep Condition on dry hair
Ayurvedic Tea Rinse
Apply Leave-In
Seal with Oil
Massage Vatika Oil into scalp when dry

Wash #2:
Pre-poo
Shampoo
Deep Condition
Apply Leave-In
Seal with Oil
Massage Vatika Oil into scalp when dry

Products:
Amla Oil, Vatika Oil, Coconut Oil
Amla, Brahmi, Aritha, Henna, Shikakai, Hibiscus Petal Powder
Swastik Shikakai Shampoo Bar
Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructor
KeraCare Humecto Conditioner
Roux Porosity Control
Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Leave-In

*Massage Scalp with Vatika Oil 3x a Week

I'm gonna try and follow your routine. Another question though (I know, I've got bunches of them); I normally do a cowash in twists on Monday. Can I do a tea rinse instead of a cowash, and what types of powders should I use for it? I probably won't have time to deep condition, so I won't use anything too strong, like aritha.

I'm also doing a daily spritz of fenugreek, amla and brahmi with castor, coconut and grapeseed oil to keep the hair hydrated. It already looks so dark and shiny! I'm lovin it! :yep::yep:

So....yesterday I sat under my new tabletop dryer for 30min w/ a mixture of pumpkin oil, vatika olive oil, and keo carpin oil. Then I did Aggie's Fenugreek method! It turned out great, but I had a hard time straining it so I just used the concoction straight up. It did leave my hair oh-so-soft! Amazing slip. So I just put a little vatika coconut oil through my damp hair and air dried. The only thing i hated was the smell of fenugreek. Ugh, it stinks! But I have plenty more of the batch.

alright, so yesterday I deep conditioned with a kalpi tone+amla+conditioner and then washed with my aritha powder mixture. I used LTR leave in and sealed with brahmi and then bunned.
Tonight, when i took down my bun, my hair was so moisturized and soft! I'm loving the LTR Leave-In..I just ordered 7 bottles from drugstore.com (BOGO and free shipping!! at 3.99 each)

NTM is full of cones and most people don't find it that great of a leave-in, but its still a great moisturizer. Try it as a moisturizer its great. As far a leave-in goes, I like Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Leave-In and Giovanni Direct Leave-In. HTH!

alright, so yesterday I deep conditioned with a kalpi tone+amla+conditioner and then washed with my aritha powder mixture. I used LTR leave in and sealed with brahmi and then bunned.
Tonight, when i took down my bun, my hair was so moisturized and soft! I'm loving the LTR Leave-In..I just ordered 7 bottles from drugstore.com (BOGO and free shipping!! at 3.99 each)

I keep hearing good things about this. I forgot to pick some up today when I was at Target, but it's def on my list.

I keep hearing good things about this. I forgot to pick some up today when I was at Target, but it's def on my list.

Flowin,

Been meaning to tell you. Aussie Moist, :love:. Thanks lady.

LTR, VERY moisturizing - Got it from OPs blog. The first thing I found that really moisturizes with the powders. My hair is fine though, so I have been making sure to alternate between moisture and protein for my co-washes to avoid moisture breakage. But it is DEF a keeper.
-

I'm gonna try and follow your routine. Another question though (I know, I've got bunches of them); I normally do a cowash in twists on Monday. Can I do a tea rinse instead of a cowash, and what types of powders should I use for it? I probably won't have time to deep condition, so I won't use anything too strong, like aritha.

I'm also doing a daily spritz of fenugreek, amla and brahmi with castor, coconut and grapeseed oil to keep the hair hydrated. It already looks so dark and shiny! I'm lovin it! :yep::yep:

You can certainly do a tea rinse instead. What powders you use really depends on what you are looking for from this tea rinse, something more moisturizing, strengthening, and obviously not more clarifying. If you are looking for something more moisturizing then I would go with some mixture of fenugreek, brahmi, hibiscus, or bhringraj powders; for something more strengthening I would go with a mixture of amla, bhringraj and brahmi powders. Just have fun experimenting, that's what its all about! Once you learn what each powder does combine them to find your perfect mixture. HTH!

So....yesterday I sat under my new tabletop dryer for 30min w/ a mixture of pumpkin oil, vatika olive oil, and keo carpin oil. Then I did Aggie's Fenugreek method! It turned out great, but I had a hard time straining it so I just used the concoction straight up. It did leave my hair oh-so-soft! Amazing slip. So I just put a little vatika coconut oil through my damp hair and air dried. The only thing i hated was the smell of fenugreek. Ugh, it stinks! But I have plenty more of the batch.

If the fenugreek scent is too much for you to deal with then I would recommend cowashing it out with a cheapie cone-free conditioner like v05 or Suave. If you have Rusk Sensories passionflower and aloe leave in, that should also help. Good luck. I am glad you had a good experience with the rinse.

Last night I pooed with my Shikakai bar, cond. with Aussie Moist, & sealed with Vatika cocktail, Sesa, & Castor oil.
Today I'm Dcing with Pantene Relaxed and Natural mixed with Brahmi, Bhringraj, And Amla. I'll seal with Vatika cocktail & Narvratna before I go to bed. Tomorrow morning I'll cowash with Suave Humectant & seal with Hairveda Shikakai oil.

This morning I but some cocosta shikakai oil on my scalp and amla oil in my hair and went off to work. Tonight I will tea rinse with kapi tone and co wash.

I am going to read this thread again because I want to start adding powders to my conditioners.

Okay I have got to up my moisture. I am thinking about ordering the shealoe butter and I also am ready to switch from ORS to another moisturizing condish. Any suggestions?

I'm loving Lekair right now, it has collagen protein! EQP Intense wit silk protein is nice too.

Ok, I want in on this challenge. Just bought Brahmi Alma oil, Jasmine Oil, Neem and Shikakai powders. And since I'm natural, I don't need any heat passes! LOL!

Edit to say I plan to use the oil with my MT and the powders in my condish....

Last night I scritched my hair with shikakai oil, and applied a mix of coconut, vatika and brahmi amla oil to the length of my hair. I left that on for 2 hours, then rinsed really well and did my fenugreek/amla/brahmi tea rinse. Left that on for 30 minutes, then cowashed with Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner, applied Shikai Everyday Conditioner as a leave-in, and sealed with my EVOO/EVCO/JBCO oil blend.

My hair is VERY soft this morning! :yep::yep:

Last night applied amla oil and let sit overnight. Today shampooed with Shikakai soap bar, DCed, added leave-in oil and air dryed.

If the fenugreek scent is too much for you to deal with then I would recommend cowashing it out with a cheapie cone-free conditioner like v05 or Suave. If you have Rusk Sensories passionflower and aloe leave in, that should also help. Good luck. I am glad you had a good experience with the rinse.
yeah, that was the plan but the slip was sooo good i didnt want to risk having the conditioner alter my results somehow...:ohwell: But i will cowash next time.

I was going to do a hendigo today, but unfortunatley I can't..I mixed the henna and everything hehe.
I have no idea what I'm going to do..I could do a rhassoul DC but I think my hair is in need of some henna..So i'll probably just mix some more tomorrow.

I have been spraying my scalp and hair with my ayurveda blend of powders spritz everyday since I made it last Saturday morning. I will need to cowash it out and DC tomorrow morning but I don't know what I'll be using as yet:look:.

Last edited:
Hi,
I'd like to join since I just bought my first Ayurvedic products.

I'll be pre-pooing with Vatika and Cocasta Shikakai oils;
tea rinses;
mixing powders in my conditioners;
washing with Shikakai poo bars

Hopefully, I will get to the Indian store tomorrow to pick up more powders and henna

Here's my starting hair: (sorry for the phone pictures)

Attachments

• IMG_0316.jpg
    IMG_0316.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 10
Back