6 Month Ayurveda Challenge

I have a Henna Gloss in my hair right now, will rinse and co-wash. I will then apply leave-in, sealant and style to air dry. I will massage scalp with vatika oil when dry.

How are you guys making your spritzes? I think I'd like to incorporate that/ For now
I massage nighly with brami or grow aut
Apply moisterizer and seal with amla

Cowash with moist 24/7 after tea rinse of brami, amla, shikkai hibiscus and fengureek

I prepoo with shikkai and amla

I've never used the shampoo bars, do you just lather them up in your hand first and apply the suds to your head?

I actually rub it on my hair directly and let it suds up, and once I've gotten a good suds I just massage it into my scalp.

ladies who incorporate fenugreek into their tea rinses...are you purchasing regular fenugreek or is it specifically geared for hair care? I purchased a bag of fenugreek powder from my local indian store and was wondering if I could use this the same way as my other powders?

ladies who incorporate fenugreek into their tea rinses...are you purchasing regular fenugreek or is it specifically geared for hair care? I purchased a bag of fenugreek powder from my local indian store and was wondering if I could use this the same way as my other powders?

No, that's it. It is not altered in anyway for hair care. I just purchased powdered fenugreek. HTH

I spritzed my hair today with Alma, Fenugreek, Hibisicus, and Brahmi and sealed. Tomorrow I plan on doing my complete regimen. My hair smells so good from the Hibiscus and I love the color that I get from it too.

How are you guys making your spritzes? I think I'd like to incorporate that/ For now

Cowash with moist 24/7 after tea rinse of brami, amla, shikkai hibiscus and fengureek

This is how I use my spritz: http://fromshorttolong.blogspot.com/2009/06/ayurvedic-spritz.html

This is the video that shows how to make it: http://fromshorttolong.blogspot.com/2009/06/no-more-pastes.html

Hope this helps!

Here is my starting Pic

7-3-09.jpg

7-3-09 -- 2.jpg[/B][/SIZE]

I usually wash 1-2 times a week, and here is my regi when I do (I took most of the steps from what Candy C posted about her technique, and I try to be consistent with it):

I start by stritch my scalp with a Neem/Brahmi oil mix for about 10 minutes, then on the length of my hair I apply an oil mix of a variety of oils (alma is mixed in there). I sit with that under a plastic cap for about an hour sometimes I may use a heating cap. Then get in the shower and rinse the oil out, I do that for about 5 - 10 min, after which I shampoo with my Aritha shampoo Bar. I let it suds up and then rinse since my hair is kind of hard afterward I co-wash 2x with a flavor of Vo5 moisture milks, I then do 2 diluted washes 1 with Nioxin (7) and 1 with Alterna Caviar anti aging volume shampoo. Once a month I'll do a protein treatment with either Nexus Emergency or Apogee 2 minute, and follow up with a DC (I use the same DC after my protein that I use as a DC on regular wash days). For the DC I use a conditioner mix of Giovanni Deeper Moisture, 50/50 Balance, Alterna Caviar anti aging volume moisture conditioner and L'oreal Natures therapy Mega Repair (I usually do 3 pumps of each) I sit under the dryer or with a heating cap for 1 hour. When I get back in the shower I do a Nettle Tea Rinse, and a another Vo5 cowash mixed with Posity Control. Do my leave in and roller set.

Grr I wanna join so bad but Im in twists and Im too scared to use the powders in my twists because I think I'll end up lookin like that child off of charlie brown..:(

Hi ladies, I have been searching thread after thread looking for how to make teas. Can someone give me a quick run down or links to making teas. Thanks

Joi,i'm posting from my phone so i can't copy and paste but fnwl has tea bags that you can iron shut as well as the method to do it on their site.

Can anyone tell me what happened to stina? i've been try to buy one of her 'starter kits' and it keeps telling me that there is no such seller :-(

Last edited:
I'm definitely in for this next challenge too! The last one was great and my hair has improved so much. My starting pic will be the same as my results pic for the last challenge and I'll post in both threads later today.

Hi ladies, I have been searching thread after thread looking for how to make teas. Can someone give me a quick run down or links to making teas. Thanks

I cut the foot out of an old pair of stockings. Add my powders, tie it off or put a rubber band around the tip and let it steep in hot water.

Flowinglocs uses a coffee maker, she purchased from QVC, to brew her teas.

Some purchase tea bags to brew. HTH.

I use the teabags from FNWL. I premix my powders, put a teaspoon in the teabag, and seal it up. I put the tea bag in applicator bottle, pour 1/2 hot, and 1/2 cold water. Oh yeah, I have coconut oil in the applicator bottle also. This time around I plan on making bigger batches. I will be making them in mason jars the same way but I will sit them in my window kind of like sun tea.

Joi,i'm posting from my phone so i can't copy and paste but fnwl has tea bags that you can iron shut as well as the method to do it on their site.

Can anyone tell me what happened to stina? i've been try to buy one of her 'starter kits' and it keeps telling me that there is no such seller :-(

Um yeah, about Stina that is a big ole soap opera. I don't even know the full story. But here is where I've ordered from and have no issues. Some people even say this is Stina:
http://ruchita.mybisi.com/
I don't see any starter kits though.

I see we got some Hairveda users here. I'm a Hairveda stan :look:. I'm still working on my reggie to incorporate ayurveda again. I'm so particular and this has paid off for my hair so I'm gonna keep working on it and post it soon.

Last edited:
It's not specifically for hair growth but for cooking but can be used on the hair as with a lot of other kitchen items. I have a wonderful recipe in my fotki album. Check it if you'd like.

Ok, I'm joining this one. I'm using the shikakai and aretha powders for shampoo, and will be oiling with vatika, amla and brahmi. Once every two to three months I'll throw in a henna treatment. And I'm going to try to do better about the scalp massages.

Here's the starting pic taken 6/15:

Attachments

• length check 6.15.09.jpg
    length check 6.15.09.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 23
Happy July 4th everyone!

Today pre poo with oil mix: amla/shikaki
Poo mix: amla/brahmi,maka,hib,fen today mix it with lustrasilk chol
Spray: nettle/silk amino acid/honeyquat
leave in: givonnai direct
seal/mosit: my shea butter and everything mix, coconut oil

I will be using:
Mix #1--amla co-wash 4-6x per wk.(amla, coconut oil, camphor e.o., & HE Replenishing con)
Mix #2--Reshma henna weekly. Indigo monthly.
Mix #3--Hair pack (amla, shikakai, bhringraj, & brahmi)

Oils--Mahabhringraj, Vatika, Neelibringadi, Coconut
Shikakai bar 1x per wk.

Last edited:

jb, thanks for this reminder. I have to put my recipe in my fotki album soon. I use a tablespoon ach of amla, brahmi, and/or hibiscus petal powders, add 12 oz of hot distailled water to it, allow to sit for awhile, could be an hour to overnight, add oils to it (brahmi, amla, shikakai, bhringraj or vatika oil) could be used. You can also add coconut oil if you like. I really like the coconut oil because of the wonderful fragrance it leaves on my hair and scalp.

If you would like to steep the powders in both distilled water and oils at the same time, you can do that too - this is highly recommended this way actually. In addition, add some rosemary or lavender essentail oil to it to help with preservation. You should then strain it, add to a spray bottle and spray your hair daily with it. It must be refridgerated to avoid spoiling.

Try to use it all up in about 2-3 weeks or just make enough at a time to last for just a week or two. You may find that the coconut oil will harden in the fridge so if you don't want to deal with that, simply eminate that oil or simply sit the spray bottle in a big mug of hot water until it softens enough to spritz your hair.

There are so many ways you can do this to work for you but the general rule is to make a tea rinse that's right for your hair, add essential oil for added preservation, refridgerate it and use it up in 2-3 weeks. HTH!

Thanks, Aggie. You're right about the coconut oil so I won't use that. I'm used to using the tea rinse all at the same time so no refridgeration needed. Shoot I don't have any essential oils so I need to get that.

No, that's it. It is not altered in anyway for hair care. I just purchased powdered fenugreek. HTH
thanks for the response! for some reason I thought it would come in a box packaged just like the amla and brahmi powders :look:

It's not specifically for hair growth but for cooking but can be used on the hair as with a lot of other kitchen items. I have a wonderful recipe in my fotki album. Check it if you'd like.
thanx! i checked out your recipe and I will be doing your steps on sunday! can't wait!:yep:

I just made a spritz of fenugreek, amla and brahmi powders infused with rosewater, coconut oil, castor, and grapeseed oil. I was planning on using this as a daily spritz, can I also use it as a tea rinse before cowashing? IDK, but I want to make sure I use it up in a reasonable manner. TIA!!

Ok ladies I just snapped a photo for my starting pic...I will so not be posting it. My hair is growing, is very soft, I thought it was healthy but after taking the picture my I can see that my hair is see thru thin on the left side! I'm so depressed becuase I thought I was making progress. I do wrap at nite using the cross wrap method but I do it with my fingers and lightly brush it in plus but only enough so it doesn't fall before I put my scarf on. I am 15 weeks post, I moisterize and seal daily..I'm so frustrated and feel like giving up...sorry for the rant:wallbash:

I just made a spritz of fenugreek, amla and brahmi powders infused with rosewater, coconut oil, castor, and grapeseed oil. I was planning on using this as a daily spritz, can I also use it as a tea rinse before cowashing? IDK, but I want to make sure I use it up in a reasonable manner. TIA!!
Alot of people tea rinse then cowash. You're good to go!

Ok ladies I just snapped a photo for my starting pic...I will so not be posting it. My hair is growing, is very soft, I thought it was healthy but after taking the picture my I can see that my hair is see thru thin on the left side! I'm so depressed becuase I thought I was making progress. I do wrap at nite using the cross wrap method but I do it with my fingers and lightly brush it in plus but only enough so it doesn't fall before I put my scarf on. I am 15 weeks post, I moisterize and seal daily..I'm so frustrated and feel like giving up...sorry for the rant:wallbash:
Thin ends does not always=unhealthy. My hair does not grow at the same rate throughout my entire head. Baby that area and I think you will be good to go.

Um yeah, about Stina that is a big ole soap opera. I don't even know the full story. But here is where I've ordered from and have no issues. Some people even say this is Stina:
http://ruchita.mybisi.com/
I don't see any starter kits though.

I see we got some Hairveda users here. I'm a Hairveda stan :look:. I'm still working on my reggie to incorporate ayurveda again. I'm so particular and this has paid off for my hair so I'm gonna keep working on it and post it soon.

Shay, thanks for answering my question. I wasn't trying to stir up any drama :nono:. I'm working my way through the gargantuan ayurveda support thread and i saw her starter kits mentioned a lot.
I think I'm going to kiss and just start out with 2 oils and 2 powders and try to make some teas. I'll also go one by one like the OP did to see what my hair does and doesn't like. Thanks for the help! :yep:

I will be using:
Mix #1--amla co-wash 4-6x per wk.(amla, coconut oil, camphor e.o., & HE Replenishing con)
Mix #2--Reshma henna weekly. Indigo monthly.
Mix #3--Hair pack (amla, shikakai, bhringraj, & brahmi)

Oils--Mahabhringraj, Vatika, Neelibringadi, Coconut
Shikakai bar 1x per wk.

Hericane, do you make a tea with the Amla or just mix it all together with dry Amla powder. I co-wash daily and this sounds delish.

Back