3c/4a Ladies: Best Product for Twist-Outs/Braid-outs/etc

davisbr88

Hi ladies!
I am looking for a new product to use for overnight sets and was wondering what you all use. I was thinking of either Bee Mine Curly Hold Butter, Darcy's Botanicals Vanilla Styling Cream, or Afroveda Hemp Seed Butter. Does anyone have any experiences with these and whether or not they provide a long-lasting hold? I would love to have your experiences.
If you use something else for a long-lasting hold for sets, please let me know!

I just got Oyin's Shine & Define in the mail about a week ago and tried it once and so far I love it. Makes my hair SUPER soft and the smell is fantastic. HTH

^^ Thank you soooo much for responding! There were crickets in here earlier!
How was the hold for the Oyin?

LOL @ Crickets! It was OK for the day .....nothing to write home about but I always have to rebraid/twist at night to make mine last for a few days. Still on the hunt for something with a little more hold but nothing beats the softness it gives.

I am on the same hunt. Does anyone know if Carol's Daughter Hair Milk works well for braid sets? Right now, I've been using Giovanni Direct Leave-In and a homemade mixture of shea/coconut oil and glycerin. I wouldn't say that I get a long lasting hold from this line up though. It's very humid where I live, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

I don't wear twists for longer than a day. I use them only for setting purposes (i usually take them down within 24 to 36 hours). I've found that Giovanni Smooth as silk conditioner works well if I want really soft hair, but my hair starts to get frizzy with in a few days (see my album for a pic). KCKT and KCCC works well if I'm looking to pull a full week (or more) out of a twistout. KCCC can dry a bit firm if over applied, but by the next day, hair is soft. At night I put my hair back into 4 or more twists (I do this when I wear wash and go's as well). It's the only way I can get multiple day hair.
For me, I find that oils and butters are only good for sealing, or scrunching out the crunch. Only certain conditioners or gels give me good twistouts (and my definition of a good twistout is one that looks like a wash and go).

I'm a mix of 4a 4b only, but I'm in LOVE with braid outs. After I wash and air dry with setting lotion (Nairobi) I've been using a mix grapeseed oil, John Freda Frizz Ease and Silicon Mix Pearl leave in moisturizer and my braid outs have been smooth, shiny soft and defined.

I do love the smell of Carol's Daughter Hair Milk (like I want to wear it as perfume) but it's a a bit heavy and greasy. I think they make a light version now though.

usually, twistouts are my go to when I'm wearing my hair natural. I only use the shea butter mix, which is a whipped concoction of that, olive/castor/coconut/ & peppermint or rosemary oil for fragrance. It is the only thing I use and it keeps my hair soft and moisturized. I love it and have abandoned everything else. I dont think hair products for natural hair should be expensive or extremely elaborate at all

I don't wear twists for longer than a day. I use them only for setting purposes (i usually take them down within 24 to 36 hours). I've found that Giovanni Smooth as silk conditioner works well if I want really soft hair, but my hair starts to get frizzy with in a few days (see my album for a pic).

Yeah, I only intend to use it for a twist out, but am wondering how the hold is after the twists are removed. Some products make my hair really soft but by the end of the day, it kind of goes... plop. It gets frizzy and isn't defined. But I will definitely try using a leave-in and see if it works.

I'm a mix of 4a 4b only, but I'm in LOVE with braid outs. After I wash and air dry with setting lotion (Nairobi) I've been using a mix grapeseed oil, John Freda Frizz Ease and Silicon Mix Pearl leave in moisturizer and my braid outs have been smooth, shiny soft and defined.

Your mixture sounds really good! I will definitely try it out!

My shea butter/olive oil blend, along with Fantasia IC gel. Gives me hold and super shine.

I really wish my hair liked shea butter. It seems like everyone's hair loves it but mine! Maybe mango butter will work... And yes, I can tell you like the IC gel! :lachen:
I love that stuff too! That's definitely going to be a product I keep in my arsenal for a looooooong time.

usually, twistouts are my go to when I'm wearing my hair natural. I only use the shea butter mix, which is a whipped concoction of that, olive/castor/coconut/ & peppermint or rosemary oil for fragrance. It is the only thing I use and it keeps my hair soft and moisturized. I love it and have abandoned everything else. I dont think hair products for natural hair should be expensive or extremely elaborate at all

That sounds so good.... ugh! Why can't I like shea butter!

I agree. I mixed my own little concoction of shealoe butter, a little castor oil, glycerine, aloe thix gel, and tiny bit of ORS Lock & Twist Gel and added it to damp, pre-oiled hair (with evoo). I already had all these ingredients anyway but I only mixed enough to do my hair once just in case I didn't like it.

I then twisted it, spritz some S-Curl moisturizer on it, and the next day I had the best and softest twist-outs. I was shocked to say the least. Even my sister kept saying how cute my hair looked. Next time I have to take pics.

I know I will be mixing this one up again:yep:.

I use DB products on my braid outs, and my hair is always soft and moisturized. I usually layer the products, using a little of each...DB Peach Kernel milk, MVSC and Juicy Peach Kernel Nectar on my ends. The MVSC give a light hold on the first day.

Hey davisbr88! Check out MopTopMaven's blog site, just google it, it will come up...she loves oyin honey hemp and shine and define and a few others that you were considering, she has pics and everything...she is a 3c/4a mixed, you'll love her blogspot!

I don’t wear my twist outs & braid outs for very long, so I’m not super-concerned with ultra-hold. The products that I use (see below) provide adequate hold for my hair.

Fall & Winter (on wet hair): Jane Carter Solution Hair Nourishing Cream

Fall & Winter (on dry hair): Hairveda’s Almond Glaze

Summer & Spring (on wet hair): a dab of Darcy’s Botanicals Curl Detangling Milk + Opal Hue’s Honey Love Butter Pomade

Summer & Spring (on dry hair): I’m still working on it. I tried to do a braid out the other day with Jane Carter Solution Hair Nourishing Cream & it was poof city (probably b/c of the butters). I’m sure it’ll work fine in the winter & fall, though.

clean damp hair+ kinky Curly Knot Today+ Grapeseed oil on the ends+ 5 cornrows in the front and 5 braids in the back= good braid out for me

I am on the same hunt. Does anyone know if Carol's Daughter Hair Milk works well for braid sets? Right now, I've been using Giovanni Direct Leave-In and a homemade mixture of shea/coconut oil and glycerin. I wouldn't say that I get a long lasting hold from this line up though. It's very humid where I live, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

I dont care for the hair milk for this particular purpose... maybe I would use that instead of grapeseed oil... its a cream but its actually pretty oily but i guess it depends on your hair... my hair is really fine and cant take that much stuff on it

Hey davisbr88! Check out MopTopMaven's blog site, just google it, it will come up...she loves oyin honey hemp and shine and define and a few others that you were considering, she has pics and everything...she is a 3c/4a mixed, you'll love her blogspot!

Yeah, I am following her! I do like her sets. They always come out nice. Thanks for the reminder.
Please keep them coming ladies!

I usually want my twistouts (don't do too many braidouts) to last about 3 days, and 90% of the time I set them right after cowashing. I have actually found that using HE HH or Cantu Shea Butter leave-in and sealing with something like my olive oil mix (EVOO, coconut, castor and grapeseed oils) since pure shea butter doesn't work for my hair produces great shine without being hard. If I want a REALLY defined outcome, adding some Noodle Head curling creme or MJ Curly Pudding works great. Five flat twists are the best combo for my fine strands. Lately I've been adding the medium sized perm rods to the last half of the twist to get a twist n curl.

I have to preface this by saying that I have no idea about this whole hairtyping thing, but I think I'm a 3c...and I love, love, LOOOVE ORS Lock and Twist Gel! It gives hold without crunch, has no alcohol, and smells nice. I was using it with KCKT (and maybe a little BTZ Noodle Head Smoothing Serum) underneath, but based on a tip from someone on another forum, I just tried it with S-Curl underneath, and I've found my new favorite combo.

Normally I retwist every night and it lasts for about three or four days. It could last longer but I love getting my hair wet. I can actually sleep on it the first night without retwisting, and it looks okay. I usually sleep on my side, so if that side looks frizzy I can reapply the gel to dry hair, twist it, and ride to work. By the time I get there, it's set!

I like Afroveda Curl Define with a little KBB Super Silky on each braid/twist for moisture shine and hold. My hair is super coarse but it works well for me...

Constant experiments. What worked on my braidouts a few years ago doesn't work anymore. I rarely use the exact same thing for my braidouts anymore because my results vary.

I do dry sets each night with BeeMine Curly Butter. A tiny bit moisturizes and gives a soft hold for overnight flexirod sets or braidouts. My sets are very tight in AM. I loosen them by finger combing and go about my day. By 5pm I still have a nice but looser curl, which is fine with me since I usually swim or workout 3-4 evenings a week. I have fine relaxed hair and this is a heavy product so have to apply sparingly.

Back