2018 Coffee Tea Ayurv Henna Cassia Rice Clay Mud Avj Acv Onion

I've just put some rice water to set for my next wash day. I'm also debating doing a henna gloss with some leftover henna that's been in my freezer forever. All I know is next wash day will be a treat.

Question: I definitely forgot to set my rice water aside to ferment yesterday. I’ll catch it on my next wash..... however, I planned on putting my hair in box braids on Sunday. Have you ever used the rice water on protective styles?

Last night I topped my overnight Elasticizer treatment with my ayurvedic oil. Today I added kalpi tone (I hope I'm not overdoing it), SAA, and hibiscus powder to my clay and left this on for 30mins before rinsing, and continuing to DC with Alikay Naturals Avocado Cream.

After rinsing with cool water (and some hot to get the DC off my scalp), I smoothed on some DIY ayur-shea mix- focusing on my ends and working the rest up. I topped this with diluted KCCC and braided/ styled up the same as last week. I hope the residue sinks in nicely.

My hair felt good- soft and strong throughout the entire process. There was still a bit of shedding but there finally came a point where the hairs stopped sliding out. Today was a good wash day. I'm looking forward to seeing how it dries.

@Ltown
It has Amino Acids and contains Vitamins B,C,E and is suppose to help with Growth and Conditioning purposes and Shine.

Made famous in Ja.pan by Heian Court Ladies whose hair draped the floor.

There is a lot of info about doing Fermented RWR(Rice Water Rinses) on-line & YT Videos about how to ferment it.

Gotta tell you tho' it stanks like Baby Puke.:barf:

I usually rinse it off with warm water in a bowl, pour that water out, fill the bowl back up with water and allow it to "ferment" until the next wash day about a week.

@Sharpened and others who do it, may do it differently, but it stanks.

I did my rice water rinse as my final rinse today during my wash. This is my 2nd time doing the rice water rinse. I absolutely LOVE it. My hair was so soft afterwards and not much shedding either(which is a plus for me with my transitioning hair). My wash day was so smooth. I will continue to incorporate this. The first time I let it ferment 24 hours but this time I let it ferment for 48 hours. It did smell (but not too bad) and the smell goes away once you wash it out.

Also put some CP infused oil on my scalp.

Last edited:
Question: I definitely forgot to set my rice water aside to ferment yesterday. I’ll catch it on my next wash..... however, I planned on putting my hair in box braids on Sunday. Have you ever used the rice water on protective styles?

Sorry for the late reply. I always meant to try it but got scared of the smell. I see no reason why the smell should linger though, and braids are like the perfect time to do rinses and teas. Just make sure you rinse it really well, or just do it as a step between shampooing and conditioning to make sure the smell dissipates.

Also, I made 2 clay mixes this last wash day. One for my hair and one for my scalp.

Scalp: bentonite, activated charcoal, diatomaceous earth, acv, peppermint oil and bay leaf tea
Hair: bentonite, rhassoul, a smidge of DE, cane vinegar, bay leaf tea

Left those uncovered and let it dry out for better cleansing according to that Green Beauty Channel. Also used my FRW. Soft and strong hair.

@ladybevy How do you usually prepare your rice water? (I mean, do you use tap or filtered water, is it hot/warm/cold, is there a certain type of container it needs to be stored in, etc.) I was making rice the other day, and rice water rinses crossed my mind, but I wasn't sure of best practices when preparing one.

Back