2010 Hide Your Hair Challenge! (July 31st - Dec 31st)

I am putting cornrows in my hair tomorrow...should I take a starting Pic tonight or right before I put them in? Oh yeah .....Will it be ok to start on the 21st instead on the 31st

I am putting cornrows in my hair tomorrow...should I take a starting Pic tonight or right before I put them in? Oh yeah .....Will it be ok to start on the 21st instead on the 31st

Yes, you can go ahead and take your starting pic tonight. Just don't post it until I get the starting pix thread up and running. I have no objections to you starting tomorrow. Quite a few people are already in protective styles (myself included).

The official start date is on the 31st (that's when it will really count). Anything prior to that can be considered a "test run". Does that make sense?:spinning:

Today's protective style is a wash n' go. I twisted the front because my edges are thin:

picture.php

I'm in I need to get closer to making Apl. Hopefully this will be a push in that direction.

I will be wearing wigs and a few buns.

MsCOCO_37 my hair BSL/MBL 2010 buddy YOUR HAIR IS SLAMMIN! Whew Hew, girl I love the Rolls and the WNG Oh M GEE!

I love your hairstyles they are not only nice but professional looking in the work enviornment. Great job!

MsCOco My hubby confirmed I had a 2.5 inch cut :(
She cut about 5 months progress for me. I am going to attempt to get those inches back and still get to my goal by December 2011 of WL, I am going to most likely going to hide my hair until my goal. (and maybe after LOL)

I'm in too. I'm currently 30 weeks post and this will help me with my transition. I've been getting the urge to relax lately and I'm trying to fight it!

I'd like to join this challenge as well.

ETA: Would wearing a braidout be considered a protective style or would it need to be pinned up?

A braid out would be considered a low manipulation style but not a protective style since the ends aren't tucked away. Any loose hair styles aren't protective. The ends are still subject to the elements, brushing on clothing, getting caught in purse straps, etc.

OP, I'm in! I'm currently on week 6 with this weave and plan to take it out at 12 weeks. Once I take this one out, I'm gonna straighten and trim. If I made good progress over the 3 months, I plan to get another weave installed and take it out in early to mid December. If not, I may get it braided or wear a bun or something.

ETA: I won't have any starting pics though because I'll still be in my weave when I start. Can I use the pics I took in June before I got it installed?

Last edited:
^^this is the question I have as well. I'm in braids and they aren't due to come out until aug, but I have a pic I took of my hair at the end of june, can I use that as my start?

I'm in!!!!! At least I want to be in but let me just make sure I understand this... If I wear my hair in box braids like it is now and they rub up on my shoulders, then it is a low manipulation style but if I put my braids up into a ponytail, it is a protective style??? TIA I have a tooth ache and my thought processes are a bit off...

I would like to join. I suffered a setback recently and had some of my ends cut of. I will be going in to see my stylist for her to assess the situation. I need this challenge to help me grow up to lengh that I have recently lost. I will be bunning mostly.

A braid out would be considered a low manipulation style but not a protective style since the ends aren't tucked away. Any loose hair styles aren't protective. The ends are still subject to the elements, brushing on clothing, getting caught in purse straps, etc.

OP, I'm in! I'm currently on week 6 with this weave and plan to take it out at 12 weeks. Once I take this one out, I'm gonna straighten and trim. If I made good progress over the 3 months, I plan to get another weave installed and take it out in early to mid December. If not, I may get it braided or wear a bun or something.

ETA: I won't have any starting pics though because I'll still be in my weave when I start. Can I use the pics I took in June before I got it installed?

Looks like I'll have to search for pinned up braidout styles. I'm so use to wearing my braidouts loose.

Hey Ladies, I am back in the game while my last two wigs fell through on purchase I ordered 2 more last week. Short bobs, I ordered the MEsh wig cap. I also purchased 3 LF on the exchange so that is 5 in total coming my way. The first two are human hair and the other three are future meaning I can still use my iron.

MY PLANS for the rest of 2010 and all of 2011 is as follows:

I will wear my hair 4 weeks with beehive and wear a LF/Wig ontop
I will wear my hair out 2 weeks in between refreshing my braids
I will relax every 4 months as usual
after my relaxer I will wait 4-5 weeks to get my hair braided, during this time I will go to the DOOBIE shoppe and enjoy my hurr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monthly - Nexxus Treatment/DC
Except week before relaxer where I will give myself and aphogee treatment
Daily or every other day - Spritz with a good spritz, or my own mix
Low Agitation of braids while they are in

Man I wish I could braid my own hair and do sew-ins instead of paying for them to be done

Oooooo I'm deff in!!!! I'm determined to make it to full apl almost bsl by then! I'm going hard core until the end of the year!

I am in .This is my first hair challenge since I joined in 2008.I am currently braided single thick braids,braided on the 10th of July.I bcied March 2009 then again to a nearly baldie in May 09.My hair growth has really been slow so I really need growth now .Wish me luck !!!!

Im in! I got Goddess Remi French Deep installed last Tuesday (ughh I will never get this hair again!) and Im hoping to make it last until September...at that point I will straighten and trim and go back to weave until 2011! Where did 2010 go???

Back