2 Week Club: The low manipulation challenge... anybody?

Princess Pie

You gotta try the oil thing. :yep: I basically split my hair down the middle and apply as much as my palm will hold to EACH side (2 palms full total). The most important parts were NOT shampoo'g first and having your hair soaking wet when you apply the oil. Your hair won't be greasy or oily after rinsing the conditioner. It will feel oiled but not excessively.

I've used coconut (although it's probably my least favorite), olive, aphogee EFA, red palm, alma. I honestly believe any oil will work.
Thanks. I'm going to try this method when I co wash Thursday morning. Count me in on this challenge. I really think I can do it, because I already haven't combed for almost a week. I'm so excited! I may finally retain some growth, and get to BSL. :spinning:

sareca

Thanks. I'm going to try this method when I co wash Thursday morning. Count me in on this challenge. I really think I can do it, because I already haven't combed for almost a week. I'm so excited! I may finally retain some growth, and get to BSL. :spinning:

:yay: :happydance: I'll put you down for 2 weeks. :welcome:

aurora3140

Well, I just couldn't hang with this challenge. I started it this past Sunday because I was going out last Friday night and I knew I would have to use a comb if I wanted to look cute.

So, I co-washed my hair Sunday and bunned that night and yesterday without using a comb and without any problems. But tonight I applied my BT and gave myself a scalp massage and my NG got kind of tangled, so I had to comb my hair. I was surprised that it wasn't any more difficult than usual to detangle my hair even though I hadn't done so since Sunday night :up:.

I just don't know how I can continue to use my growth aids and massage my scalp without tangling my hair and needing to comb. I'm not a rough massager, but it seems like some tangles are unavoidable. Good luck to anyone who remains in the challenge though. I'm sure you all will see great results :yep:!

On the plus side, I learned that I don't have to comb every day! Hey, it's a start.

sareca

Well, I just couldn't hang with this challenge. I started it this past Sunday because I was going out last Friday night and I knew I would have to use a comb if I wanted to look cute.

So, I co-washed my hair Sunday and bunned that night and yesterday without using a comb and without any problems. But tonight I applied my BT and gave myself a scalp massage and my NG got kind of tangled, so I had to comb my hair. I was surprised that it wasn't any more difficult than usual to detangle my hair even though I hadn't done so since Sunday night :up:.

I just don't know how I can continue to use my growth aids and massage my scalp without tangling my hair and needing to comb. I'm not a rough massager, but it seems like some tangles are unavoidable. Good luck to anyone who remains in the challenge though. I'm sure you all will see great results :yep:!

On the plus side, I learned that I don't have to comb every day! Hey, it's a start.

That *is* a start! I'm glad you gave it a shot. :yep:

madamone

Ladies please count me in!

I have been following along since this thread started. I wasn't sure I could hang though. Well it has been 10 days since I unofficially joined and I'm pretty sure I can do it.

This will go right along with the Platinum level boot camp and baggy challenge I joined.

It's been hard to resist detangling in the shower. But I finally mastered Sylver2's scarf method without detangling so I am good for bunning!

What I do:

Shampoo or Cowash 2-3x a week. DC with plastic cap 1-2x a week. I've been mixing Apoghee 2 min with Aura Cherry Almond Bark because I've been shedding.

Then I apply NTM Silk Touch or Humectress, coconut oil, WGO, tie down with scarf.

After it is dry I pull my hair into a ponytail, baggy the ends and take a track of human hair and wrap around it into a bun.

Does this routine qualify for the challenge?

sareca

Ladies please count me in!

I have been following along since this thread started. I wasn't sure I could hang though. Well it has been 10 days since I unofficially joined and I'm pretty sure I can do it.

This will go right along with the Platinum level boot camp and baggy challenge I joined.

It's been hard to resist detangling in the shower. But I finally mastered Sylver2's scarf method without detangling so I am good for bunning!

What I do:

Shampoo or Cowash 2-3x a week. DC with plastic cap 1-2x a week. I've been mixing Apoghee 2 min with Aura Cherry Almond Bark because I've been shedding.

Then I apply NTM Silk Touch or Humectress, coconut oil, WGO, tie down with scarf.

After it is dry I pull my hair into a ponytail, baggy the ends and take a track of human hair and wrap around it into a bun.

Does this routine qualify for the challenge?

Sounds like a great lo-mani regimen to me. :yep: Welcome aboard!

imstush

sareca isn't working?

Funny when I used the link for your fotki a couple of pages in this thread it wouldn't work. Weird.

Anyhoo, I tried that oil method when I did my cowash last night - I am so pleased! It worked like a dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin:

sareca

Funny when I used the link for your fotki a couple of pages in this thread it wouldn't work. Weird.

Anyhoo, I tried that oil method when I did my cowash last night - I am so pleased! It worked like a dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin:

:dance7::club: :happydance:

Ok, we're gonna have to start a thread and tell the others... this is one of those things that's way too good to keep ourselves. :yep: It's absolutely critical for no/lo-mani if you want to restyle your WnG. Basically it allows you to detangle w/o using your fingers, hands, brushes or combs. I'm on day 8. I was planning to only go to 1.5 weeks (10 days). But, I can't see any reason to do that. I'm going all the way to 14 days. My hair *is* detangled. I just didn't need implements to do it. :yep: Water is my comb.

Last edited:

LadyZ

OK....Today was detangle day for me... I think I went 10 days without combing:spinning:... I roller set because I have a function to go to tomorrow, There was a lot of shed hairs and because I am 7 weeks post, I had a few short hairs also... which is normal for me at 7 weeks post... I hope to just finger comb my hair tomorrow... I will have to roller set again Sunday... I get a touch-up on Thursday... So I need to keep my roots moisturized... and unfortunately comb-able too... I WILL TRY HARD NOT TO COMB BUT. IDK. I will try very hard... This will be a challenge:wallbash:... But as soon as I get my touch-up again I will be back on track for the next duration:drunk:and will be able to do the low manip. again... I will slowly work up to a full 2 weeks this time... I LOVE this Challenge...

Last edited:

sareca

OK....Today was detangle day for me... I think I went 10 days without combing:spinning:... I roller set because I have a function to go to tomorrow, There was a lot of shed hairs and because I am 7 weeks post, I had a few short hairs also... which is normal for me at 7 weeks post... I hope to just finger comb my hair tomorrow... I will have to roller set again Sunday... I get a touch-up on Thursday... So I need to keep my roots moisturized... and unfortunately comb-able too... I WILL TRY HARD NOT TO COMB BUT. IDK. I will try very hard... This will be a challenge:wallbash:... But as soon as I get my touch-up again I will be back on track for the next duration:drunk:and will be able to do the low manip. again... I will slowly work up to a full 2 weeks this time... I LOVE this Challenge...

Slowly is right! Take your time. If it takes you until the end of the year to comfortably get to 2 weeks that's still a win still, right? Listen to your hair too. NG can complicate this process. I wasn't even willing to try this until after I texlax'd. I thought I was going to be at 4 days (only 1 day longer than I was going before) for months. It didn't happen that way for me, but that's certainly within the challenge rules. Don't force it. :nono: We'll be waiting for you after your touch-up.

Last edited:

madamone

I love this challenge! I will make 2 weeks on Friday...and I am thinking about just letting Friday come and go with no detangling! The less I bother it the better. As long as I can get it to lay flat with the scarf method...I think I'll keep on trucking. See what happens!

sareca

I wanna join, but Im scared :lol:

:lachen:Think of it this way... you want to be at 2 weeks (with no detangling/comb) by december of this year. If you get there early then that's just gravy. :wink2:

Start by adding just one day to your current schedule and stay there until it's easy and comfortable before adding another day.

Princess Pie

The oil definitely helps with comb free detangling! Thanks for the heads up Sareca. I co washed this morning, and used jojoba oil (it was all I had, time to stock up) before adding the conditioner. My hair felt like I had used a detangling shampoo. :yep: I also used PM super skinny conditioner and serum (which I haven't used in months due to cones), and now my hair is silky and shiny. I'm now confident that I can go 2 weeks without combing. :grin:

sareca

The oil definitely helps with comb free detangling! Thanks for the heads up Sareca. I co washed this morning, and used jojoba oil (it was all I had, time to stock up) before adding the conditioner. My hair felt like I had used a detangling shampoo. :yep: I also used PM super skinny conditioner and serum (which I haven't used in months due to cones), and now my hair is silky and shiny. I'm now confident that I can go 2 weeks without combing. :grin:

:urock: Sounds like you're enjoying it as much as I am.

Blackoutzangel05

I would like to have in please! I tried the braids and that didn't work for me so this sounds like something that I can do. I wear WnG's because my hair is so short but I started twisting it up into several big 2 strand flat twist at night so that I can be sure that I am moisturizing the ends, would that be acceptable?

My reggy is very simple: Wash every 2 weeks and co wash in btwn..both are followed by DC treatments. On wash weeks I will henna.

Daily regiment: Use water spray bottle on twists, apply moisturizer to twist and seal with coconut oil, undo twist and style....retwist at night

sareca

I would like to have in please! I tried the braids and that didn't work for me so this sounds like something that I can do. I wear WnG's because my hair is so short but I started twisting it up into several big 2 strand flat twist at night so that I can be sure that I am moisturizing the ends, would that be acceptable?

My reggy is very simple: Wash every 2 weeks and co wash in btwn..both are followed by DC treatments. On wash weeks I will henna.

Daily regiment: Use water spray bottle on twists, apply moisturizer to twist and seal with coconut oil, undo twist and style....retwist at night

That works! I put mine in one big extremely loose plait every night. I'll put you down for 2. Welcome aboard and good luck. :drunk:

knottyaaverage

what's the point in not combing ur hair? i can't wear my hair down yet it's not even enough so i put my hair up in a bun everyday and i have to comb it to smooth it out b4 putting on the ouchless tie. when i comb my hair i get about 4 strands that are from shedding, not breakage. are u trying to avoid breakage?

sareca

It's more about limiting wear and tear.

Think of it this way... if your hair is 6 inches long the ends are about a year old, right? Imagine a strip of a lace that you brought September 2006 and took out everyday pulled, stretched then raked with a brush or comb. After a year it would probably be frizzy but still have its integrity. But what about 2 years later with the same treatment? It's probably starting show some wear. It might have holes where it shouldn't and be a bit unstable. After three years it's falling part.

Ok, so your hair is not lace, but I'm applying the same principle. It's not about how much hair you lose today. It's about limiting the amount of wear and tear you put on hair that you expect to keep on your head for years.

Make sense?

Last edited:

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
I'm wearing my hair in a loose pony these days. I'm using a no-pull barette-clip. I take it down at night, wrap a scrunci around my pony and cover with my satin scarf. The next morning I slide my hands across and put the clip on and go. So I'm wondering if that's low manipulation since I don't comb, I only detangle on wash days with my fingers.

Blackoutzangel05

That works! I put mine in one big extremely loose plait every night. I'll put you down for 2. Welcome aboard and good luck. :drunk:

Once my hair gets long enough that is going to be my regiment....right now I do about 4 flats twist and call it a night

Thanks for the welcome!