How I Air Dry My Hair

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Many have asked how I air dry so I wanted to share:

*I air dry my hair hanging straight down, dripping wet right out of the shower. I do not use a towel to blot my hair. I do not squeeze the excess water out at all. The weight of the water pulling on the hair during the air drying is what helps it to dry so smoothly.

--Oh, I also wrap a towel around my waist to keep water from getting all over the floor!

*After combing through under the shower head after rinsing final conditioner, I step out of the shower and apply leave-in conditioner.

*Then I comb through/detangle my hair again in about 8 sections that are hanging down. When I am done with this I have half my hair hanging over my left shoulder and half hanging over the right shoulder. I go on about my business.

*If I'm at home then about every 30 minutes to an hour, I comb through my hair gently. Remember, my hair is already detangled. At about this time, I also move my hair from over my shoulders and let it flow down my back. If you are doing something and you don't want your hair down your back (like sitting on the couch and you don't want your hair touching the back of the couch) it's okay to swing all of your hair over one shoulder.

*When the hair is about 80-90% dry, apply your oils or serum or whatever.

*Putting the hair in a bun for a few hours or overnight will make it even smoother, and it will make the ends look better. If you haven’t heard me “say” it before, air dried ends look pitiful. Don’t trim on a whim because of it!

*You could roll your ends with magnetic snap rollers and put on a bonnet. You’ll get a nice look in a few hours or the next day.

*My favorite is the 2-sided wrap. My hair is too long to (easily) do a regular wrap, so I wrap one side of hair in one direction and pin it and then wrap the other side in the other direction and pin it. The 2 sides of hair are criss-crossing one another when I finish. (just to give you a better idea)

*If you have time to roll the ends with magnetic snap rollers, let it “set” and then do the 2-sided wrap your hair will look so good and smooth. No one would ever suspect that you air-dried your hair. In my album, look at the pic from May ’05 to see this look.

I hope you will find this very helpful. :up:

Last edited:

Neroli

Thanks for sharing Supergirl. I just learned to air dry loose by *accident* about a month ago -- it speeds up drying time with minimum fuzz and zero work. I *drip dried* my last wash as you suggested and it came out straighter then when I squeeze dried. Thanks!

Allandra

Candy_C said:
hey supergirl, thanks!

i do the 2 sided wrap too, never did get the hang of the other one...
I've done it a time or two (after seeing it in Hairlove's album a while back). Even though I have thick waist length hair, I can STILL wrap my hair the regular way. :)

Candy_C

Allandra said:
I've done it a time or two (after seeing it in Hairlove's album a while back). Even though I have thick waist length hair, I can STILL wrap my hair the regular way. :)

u lucky so and so! its not fair, i'm hair style disabled :mad:

Allandra

Candy_C said:
u lucky so and so! its not fair, i'm hair style disabled :mad:
Girl, you know practice makes perfect. Practice as often as you can, and you'll get perfect at it.

Sylver2 has long, thick hair too, and she still wraps her hair the regular way.

LovelyLionessa

Thank you Supergirl for introducing this truly revolutionary way of airdrying. Your tips were well articulated and such a blessing to me. You showed me the way to get beautiful airdried hair that can be sleek and moisturized instead of a frizzy hot mess! :)

blackbarbie

Thanks Supergirl. I am certainly going to have to try this. Right now, if I try to airdry with my hair hanging down, it will def. come out looking a hot mess, being very frizzy, etc.

I look forward to following your instructions this weekend!

cocowhite

Thanks for the airdrying tip. I will have to try this Sunday. One question-do I have a be almost bone straight to get the same results?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
cocowhite said:
Thanks for the airdrying tip. I will have to try this Sunday. One question-do I have a be almost bone straight to get the same results?

Maybe so. I know I'm relaxed pretty straight and I could see how this might not work well for someone who is relaxed but still pretty wavy. I'm sure you could get the moisture and "stretch" from hair being pulled down by water while it's air drying. But of course, it probably wouldn't dry straight.

Victorian

old head
This is similar to how I used to airdry when I was relaxed and trying to give up the blowdryer in my early LHCF days, minus the wrapping part. Drying straight down did work best for me, combing through every once in a while. I remember the first time I managed to do it successfully I was all excited and started a thread about it--ahhh, memories :lol: My hair was relaxed straight also.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
BlackCardinal said:
This is similar to how I used to airdry when I was relaxed and trying to give up the blowdryer in my early LHCF days, minus the wrapping part. Drying straight down did work best for me, combing through every once in a while. I remember the first time I managed to do it successfully I was all excited and started a thread about it--ahhh, memories :lol: My hair was relaxed straight also.

Great minds... :up:

Tee

Supergirl said:
Maybe so. I know I'm relaxed pretty straight and I could see how this might not work well for someone who is relaxed but still pretty wavy. I'm sure you could get the moisture and "stretch" from hair being pulled down by water while it's air drying. But of course, it probably wouldn't dry straight.

Thanks for adding this. My hair dries curly. So I was wondering if this would work for me.

The problem I have is with air drying in my bun is....it takes forever fully dry. So I end up washing again. But if I just leave it down, I dont get the straight look. So I am kinda at a lost. :confused:

Last edited: