Color maintenance

Country gal

I am getting my hair colored next week. Lovely Z has me really thinking about the up kempt of colored treated tresses. I wanted to lighten my hair to a warm brown and add highlights. I wonder if I am doing too much color at one time. Also, she asked how often would I be coloring my hair. I just wanted to color it once but she pointed out it would look tacky once my color grew out. How often do you color your hair?

Naturals- do you find your hair needs more tlc once it has been colored?

sareca

Ok, I know you're asking naturals, but I did want to say I LOVE that grown out color look on natural hair. You know where the color is at the middle to end of the hair. I don't think it looks tacky at all, but I recognize I might be in the minority on this one.

qtgirl

I like the grown out look as well.

When you color you should make sure to do a protein treatment once a month and to keep your hair moisturized.

Country gal

sareca said:
Ok, I know you're asking naturals, but I did want to say I LOVE that grown out color look on natural hair. You know where the color is at the middle to end of the hair. I don't think it looks tacky at all, but I recognize I might be in the minority on this one.

I want to hear from any and everybody not just naturals. I was just curious if naturals noticed a different in the upkempt of their hair once colored.

sareca

Country gal said:
I want to hear from any and everybody not just naturals. I was just curious if naturals noticed a different in the upkempt of their hair once colored.

Ah, ok. :cool:

Lovelylocs

As a relaxed colored head who wishes she never colored her hair, I am warning you that it can be a lot of work! Of course, I am double processed though. The color really dried my hair and killed the proteins in my hair. I had zero elasticity and my hair felt like yarn. With time, I was able to turn things around. You have to use a deep conditioner that is formulated for colortreated hair. It is good to get a rinse to protect your hair cuticle as well.

LovelyZ

As far as color maintenance, I am thinking about when there is a stark contrast between your natural color and the dyed color. Does it look strange to have just a couple of inches of new growth that are very dark and the rest of the hair much lighter?

hopeful

Will lightening your hair require a "lift", I think that's the term or some kind or bleach? I'm asking because I talked to a hairstylist yesterday who was trying to convince me to dye my hair and she said that dying natural hair, especially to a really light color would/could change the texture of your hair. She said it can relax some of the curl, lol just came short of saying then your hair won't be so nappy. I then said but won't it dry my hair out? And she said, uhm, well see girl I'm gonna get your hair in such good condition, don't worry, trust me. I'm like Riiiight, ahma trust my newly natural hair to someone who doesn't even love kinky hair.

Anyway, I'm just saying be very careful. I've read other posts from naturals who say they really have to up the conditioning and the moisture after dying their hair. And I remember another natural who had gorgeous blondish hair and after awhile it really did a number on her hair. Also the highlighted parts on top of the dyed hair will probably get really dry and will need lots of conditioning.

But on the other hand, if you only do it once it might not be so bad and I think it's really cute when people have a puff that's a lighter color than the rest of their hair. If you do it, you really must post pics.:)

freedom

I really think it depends on your preference. I personally like that look and that is currently how my hair is now. 2 1/2 in. black new growth and about 5in. of medium brown and auburn(sp?) mixed. I was just thinking about if I should cut off the color (cause I was one of the ones that didn't take care of my ends) and get some braids put in or do some aphogee treatments until my ends look better and retuoch my color. anyway I am a testimony that I you do have to do a little extra care with the color in or you'll end up with 2in. of hair:)

Country gal

Hopeful, you got me scared girl. I don't want to change my texture. Will it really do that? Maybe I need to rethink the color thing.

blackbarbie

I am relaxed and have highlights. My natural haircolor is light brown so the contrast is not that stark as the highlights grow out. When I first got them, I got them retouched about a year later, but don't know if I'll get them re-done again when the time rolls around. I have like 3 different color highlights in though. (very light blond, coppery, and a caramel looking color)

I know for me, I should have been warned to up the moisture level. As a result, my hair went through major withdrawals once and started shedding really bad, but I got it under control with Aphogee treatments and haven't had the problem since. I do notice the highlighted parts (esp. the really blond ones underneath) get more dried out than other parts and just needs additional moisture. I would say stay on top of the protein treatments and keep the hair moisturized and you should be fine.

As far as someone mentioning them being in the minority liking the color on naturals when it grows out, I like the look - a lot!! I don't think it looks bad at all and think it's rather cool.

I would also like someone to comment on "Shampoo and Conditioners for Color Treated Hair". Do they really work?

Thats a real good question do shampoos and conditioners for colored hair really work? Cause when I asked my beautician how to maintain the color in my relaxed hair she said make sure I use a shampoo and conditioner for colored hair. So What do you ladies think? Do it really make a difference?

blackbarbie

hair-it-is said:
Thats a real good question do shampoos and conditioners for colored hair really work? Cause when I asked my beautician how to maintain the color in my relaxed hair she said make sure I use a shampoo and conditioner for colored hair. So What do you ladies think? Do it really make a difference?

I could be wrong (going in to check right now though), but I bought some once and I think once I got home I looked at the ingredients and they were the same as my regular shampoo and cond. and I just ignored the commercials after that, chalking it up to just a marketing tactic..

Ambitious1013

I do believe that color treated hair does require a lot of maintenance. I deep condition twice a week and keep my hair moisturized daily.

I use Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose shampoo and conditioner. It is recommended for color treated hair. I sometimes use Pantene's Color Radiance Conditioner for my conditioner washes when I need some extra moisture for my hair. I do believe that shampoos and conditioners designed for color treated hair has helped my hair.

My hair was a color treated mess before LHCF because I didn't give it enough TLC. I do believe that moisture, shampoos, and conditioners helped my hair.

hopeful

I'm sorry Country gal I did not want to scare you. That's just what this one stylist told me yesterday. She just seemed so excited about the idea of coloring my naps and at first I thought she just thought since it was so short some color would add punch but she kept talking about the color relaxing the kinks a bit and she seemed so excited about that prospect. LOL she scared me even though I think she thought she was being helpful. I'm sure others may offer other opinions. Hopefully more people will chime in with their experience. I just think for most people color is no joke. And I know you love your hair, lol I love your hair too, so I had to be honest.

ETA: If you really want to color, just go in with your eyes wide open and be prepared to do extra moisturizing and conditioning. It probably won't be too bad since you only want to do it once and most of us don't have a problem with that grown out look, sounds like a lot of us think it's cute.

Last edited:

Country gal

hopeful said:
I'm sorry Country gal I did not want to scare you. That's just what this one stylist told me yesterday. She just seemed so excited about the idea of coloring my naps and at first I thought she just thought since it was so short some color would add punch but she kept talking about the color relaxing the kinks a bit and she seemed so excited about that prospect. LOL she scared me even though I think she thought she was being helpful. I'm sure others may offer other opinions. Hopefully more people will chime in with their experience. I just think for most people color is no joke. And I know you love your hair, lol I love your hair too, so I had to be honest.

ETA: If you really want to color, just go in with your eyes wide open and be prepared to do extra moisturizing and conditioning. It probably won't be too bad since you only want to do it once and most of us don't have a problem with that grown out look, sounds like a lot of us think it's cute.

You made good points. I am just wondering if the result is worth all the hassle.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Hey Country Gal, I feel like you may be doing too much color at one time. I don't color my hair but if I was someone who colored my hair, I would just color it, let it grow out and trim off colored ends as I grow, and then re-color again to give my hair rest from frequent coloring. That's just me. But If I were to color more often to keep a fresh colored look, I would probably do it once every 2 months. HTH!

naturaline

Country gal said:
Hopeful, you got me scared girl. I don't want to change my texture. Will it really do that? Maybe I need to rethink the color thing.
i think its helped my hair... it hasnt changed the texture but i think its help add to the softness. theres no need to worry. :)
p.s. a warm brown would suit you.

Lovelylocs

hair-it-is said:
In my experience yes. I only used conditioners for color treated hair though. As far as shampoo, I think it just has to be a really mild shampoo. There is a difference between conditioners for really dry hair and conditioners for color treated hair. I like L'Oreal's deep conditioner for color treated hair.

mahoganee

I have to keep my hair super moisturized since I dyed my hair and it did change my texture a little. Moreso in the nape area. I don't think the roots being a different color than the dyed hair is tacky. Mine is like that now. I try not to dye it too often because it dries it out more plus I can see how much my hair has grown in a certain time frame.