What is pre-poo?

SparklingFlame

And what purpose does it serve? I have seen this all over the place and I was wondering what it involves and the purpose. TIA!

myco

naturallady said:
And what purpose does it serve? I have seen this all over the place and I was wondering what it involves and the purpose. TIA!

It's short for pre-shampoo. It can range from a simple olive oil hot-oil treatment, to conditioner concoctions. They can be applied to wet hair or dry hair. Basically any conditioning or treatment that is done before shampooing or conditioner washes.

SparklingFlame

myco said:
It's short for pre-shampoo. It can range from a simple olive oil hot-oil treatment, to conditioner concoctions. They can be applied to wet hair or dry hair. Basically any conditioning or treatment that is done before shampooing or conditioner washes.

Thank you so much! What are the benefits? To combat dryness from the shampoos?

baglady215

naturallady said:
Thank you so much! What are the benefits? To combat dryness from the shampoos?

Yes, and to add some moisture. I like to use a cheapie conditioner mixed with EVOO. I apply it to dry hair and leave it on for a while. Sometimes I don't even poo, just rinse and go. I feel like it really adds softness to my hair, which is very coarse. You should try it naturallady!

SparklingFlame

baglady215 said:
Yes, and to add some moisture. I like to use a cheapie conditioner mixed with EVOO. I apply it to dry hair and leave it on for a while. Sometimes I don't even poo, just rinse and go. I feel like it really adds softness to my hair, which is very coarse. You should try it naturallady!

I just may do that!

mochamadness

Going the Distance
naturallady said:
I just may do that!

You should definitely give it a shot! Pre-pooing does helps to keep in moisture as you wash your hair, preventing the shampoo from stripping your hair. It also helps to keep my hair tangle free as I wash. As a result I lose only about 5 hair strands or so during the whole washing and conditioning process. That's big for me cause I always lost the most hair from washing! HTH

Reece1337

So do you rinse your hair thoroughly before shampooing, or do you add shampoo to your conditioner-saturated hair and lather?

myco

Reece1337 said:
So do you rinse your hair thoroughly before shampooing, or do you add shampoo to your conditioner-saturated hair and lather?

I've switched to adding my pre-poo to dry hair because it cuts down on trips to shower. I then add the shampoo directly to my hair while it still has the pre-poo. I focus mostly on making sure that I massage my scalp and work the lather down to the ends. I only have to shampoo once when I do that. My hair feels so conditioned after rinsing out the shampoo/pre-poo.

karezone

yeah pre pooing has made a difference in my hair too. It is soft now and holds moisture better. My pre poos range from just straight coconut oil, coconut oil conditioner mixtures, to straight conditioner. Sometimes with heat sometimes without.

Now the only time that I deep condition after is when I clarify.