Non-mainstream clays

snoop

For those of you who have tried clay/mud washing, have you tried Kaolin clay, ivory clay, green clay or any of the clays that we don't usually hear about (i.e. something other than bentonite or rhassoul)? What did you think?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I've used a Pink Moroccan Clay Masque but it was in a Pre-Made DC'er from Butters N Bars.

Very nice, very Soft Hair afterwards.

I think @Bibliophile has experience with Kaolin Clay and maybe others?

Karmi

I used European green clay. I liked it but I mixed it with coconut milk to make it more moisturizing. All clays are drying to me so I always mix them with something.

Neomorph

Kaolin Clay is in some Shea Moisture Products like the African Black Soap Purification Mask and the Coconut & Hibiscus Co-Wash. So while not even close to being famous like Bentonite and Rhassoul, I'd argue it may be a bit more mainstream than we think

Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Co-Wash
Deionized Water, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut)Oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Magnifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter*, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Cetyl Esters, Kaolin Clay, Grapeseed Oil, Simmondsia Chinesis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Behentrimonium Chloride (Conditioner), Hibiscus Sabdariffa Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Melia Azadirachta (Neem) Seed Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Vegetable Protein, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Stearyl Alcohol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), African Black Soap Extract, Sea Salt, Rosemary Extract, Caprylyl Glycol *Certified Organic Ingredient

Shea Moisture African Black Soap Purification Masque

Deionized Water, Cocos Nucifera(Coconut) Oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Mangifera Indica(Mango)Seed Butter*, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil , African Black Soap Extract, Sea Salt, Cetyl Esters, Kaolin Clay, Grapeseed Oil, Simmondsia chinensis seed (Jojoba) Oil, Behentrimonium Chloride (Conditioner), Salicylic Acid, Salix Alba (Willow)Bark Extract, Melia Azadirachta (Neem) Seed Oil, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Sorbitol Esters, Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Rosemary Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Extract, Plantain Extract, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract

Kaolin Clay is really good. I liked it a lot in when tried the Shea Moisture Masque.

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
I've been called out by IDareT'sHair

quick stats: I have hard water and waist+ length low-porosity 4B hair.

I've tried Australian pink, kaolin, Mulathie Matti (Fuller's Earth) & ubtan clays. I mix with distilled water or tea ( chamomile, mint, lavender) & apply to oiled hair.

Australian Pink= feels like a conditioner on hair. Doesn't get my scalp clean. Similar to Rhassoul clay. I have to use a lot of it.

Kaolin = best of both worlds; silky smooth hair & clean scalp. It rinses clean & has a detangling property. Soothes scalp irritatations. Stronger than Rhassoul but weaker than Bentonite.

Mulathie Matti/Fuller's Earth = light fluffy hair & clean scalp. Similar in strength to Bentonite. Must sift clay before mixing or it will be grainy.

Ubtan = Feels cool on scalp. Similar to a cowash. Weaker than Mulathie Matti, stronger than Rhassoul. Must be sifted or clay will be hard to rinse out. No longer use due to scarcity & expense.

Hope this helps.

Using LHCF via smartphone. Can't see mentions.

snoop

Thanks Bibliophile that is great information!

Thanks everyone for your responses and especially Bibliophile for the comparisons. I've tried a few different clays but would not be able to recall the differences with such detail as you have.
I've tried Terressentials (bentonite), Australian pink and rhassoul which has been my main clay. I've also tried Australian red in my henna and it left my hair soft.

I'm looking to experiment with something else and I think Kaolin might be my best choice.

SweetlyCurly

In light that my beloved SM purification mask has changed...has anyone tried using clay together with a deep conditioner?
If so, can you tell me what you did?

GGsKin

Kaolin sounds nice. I've only tried the standards- aztec healing clay- calcium bentonite, sodium bentonite, and rhassoul.

Rhassoul did not give me great definition - it really elongates my hair and it appears very flat with rhassoul. However it is by far the most softening/conditioning of the clays I've used and my hands also thank me every time I clay rinse.

Calcium and Sodium bentonite make my hair really defined- sodium bentonite being the strongest has made my hair literally squeaky clean, and can be too drying if left on for long (more than 30mins). I like to mix both rhassoul and bentonite for cleanse and conditioning. I make a liquid mix (batter, milkshake or runnier).

Karmi

In light that my beloved SM purification mask has changed...has anyone tried using clay together with a deep conditioner? If so, can you tell me what you did?

I do this as a regular part of my DC reggie. I use green clay or Rhoussul (sp?) clay and my mixture is:
3-4 table spoons of clay
About 1/4 cup of hot water and add more water as needed to get a wet consistency
2-3 table spoons of my fav conditioners. The conditioner thickens the clay back up but makes it silky smooth.
1 table spoon olive oil
Deep condition over night.
I love it, clay will forever be part of my regimen.

Last edited:

discodumpling

For those of you who have tried clay/mud washing, have you tried Kaolin clay, ivory clay, green clay or any of the clays that we don't usually hear about (i.e. something other than bentonite or rhassoul)? What did you think?

I use Tulsi powder on my face only. It is an Indian clay with herbs mixed in similar to multani. I woud NOT use it in my hair cause i dont have time to wash twigs and whatever else outta my hair.

faithVA

I know @faithVA has tried a fair few but has rhassoul as a fave.

Sorry. I'm out of town.

My hair is fairly dense so I'm not a big fan of most clays because they are way too thin. I've tried kaolin, red clay, pink clay, bentonite, rhassoul and I think one other one. I really dislike pink and red clay because they are just too messy. Kaolin is just way too thin for my hair so I didn't really evaluate it long enough. I'm pretty much just a rhasssoul girl for now.

BranwenRosewood

I use Tulsi powder on my face only. It is an Indian clay with herbs mixed in similar to multani. I woud NOT use it in my hair cause i dont have time to wash twigs and whatever else outta my hair.

Tulsi is the same thing as Holy Basil and not a clay but a plant. Did you get the premade facepacks?

As for me, I have Rhassoul, Bentonite, Kaolin and Sea Clay but I have not used any of them but this thread is making me want to finally use some.

discodumpling

Nope. I have just the powder. I put about a tsp in my palm wet it with water and apply.

Oh and I also have some Dead Sea Mud that although not an official clay might do well in hair applications.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Nope. I have just the powder. I put about a tsp in my palm wet it with water and apply.

Oh and I also have some Dead Sea Mud that although not an official clay might do well in hair applications.

I also thought of this as well as some of the Volcanic Ash Hair Masques & DC'ers, although not officially a 'clay', these perform similar IMO to clays.

snoop

Did you ever try the Dead Sea mud in your hair?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I have the following:
Annabelle's Perfect Blend Ayurvedic Mud Mask

J.Monique Naturals Dead Sea Mud Wash and J.Monique's Charcoal DC'er

Soultanicals "Coil-Soil" Fertilizing Detox Treatment which is some sort of Clay.

Naturelle Grow has Australian Pink Clay

SM Purification *Original*

Aggie

I have only tried green clay for my facial mud treatments. I am contemplating getting some other clays from mountainroseherbs.com like fuller's earth clay for example.

I like rhassoul and bentonite for my hair. I have also used J. Monique's Dead Sea Mud Wash in my hair and I really love this one a lot. It leaves my hair super soft.