Relaxer Roll Call!

Divine Inspiration

Can we just update on the brand of relaxer that everyone is using and whether it's working or not? Lately I've noticed some ladies talking about making changes i.e. switching relaxer brands, going from no-lye to lye or vice versa, trying Phyto etc etc. So...

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using?

2. What is your hair type?

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to?

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer?

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture?

6. How often do you relax?

I'm guessing some of the newbies and even the old heads will be able to gain some insight from this thread...I know I will. :look: Feel free to add any additional info about your relaxer or other brands you're considering.

shawniegee

New Cut for '09
My last relaxer I used Vitale Mo' body w shea butter.
(no-lye).

I've tried Phyto and ORS Stimulator
Phyto was the worse.
I think ORS was the best.

I'm thinking to switching to lye, but no anytime soon because I plan on giving myself a 6 month break.
Plus I'm scared.

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? Affirm regular

2. What is your hair type? 4 a/b

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? yes

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? 5 years

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? bone straight

6. How often do you relax? every 10 weeks

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? Regular Revlon Realistic, lye

2. What is your hair type? 4a/b

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? Yes. If not, which brand are you considering switching to?

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? About 3 years

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? My hair is bone straight.

6. How often do you relax? I relax every 8-10 weeks (I stink at stretching).

1. What brand/strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) are you using?
---> This is something I ought to know, but I don't. It comes out of a big tub that my stylist uses. I've never even seen the label but I'm guessing it's regular. She doesn't like using too harsh chems on my hair since I've got a color.

---> 4a/b

3. How long have you been using your current relaxer?
---> I don't know. Again, my stylist supplies the relaxer.

4. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture?
---> bone straight.

5. How often do you relax?
---> every 8 weeks.

HoneyDew

Profectiv Regular
4 a/b
3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to?
I am very happy. It is the only one I've tried that gives me good results.
For a year or so.
5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture?
Between Bone straight and Relaxed Curl
Every 8 weeks or so.

MysTori

Design Essentials/mild
3a/b (approx. :) )
3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you
considering switching to?
Yes. If I don't transition, I would like to switch to ORS.
2 Years
5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or
some other texture?
Bone Straight
Every 8 weeks (will start stretching soon)

karezone

Revlon Realistic Lye Mild

unknown

I guess. switching to mizani. I will finish out the jar of realistic in my next touch up and after that I use mizani exclusively.

1st time use

not sure

8-10 weeks

Last edited:

sylver2

NO LYE OPTIMUM -reg, sometimes super

4A-B

YES

COUPLE OF YEARS

BONE STRAIGHT

EVERY 10-12 WEEKS

Sosoothing

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? Revlon Realistic Regular Lye

2. What is your hair type? 4ab

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? Yes

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? On and off for 10years

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? relaxed curl pattern

6. How often do you relax? after at least 8weeks

I miss the big hair look and feel I got from no-lye relaxers and think about going back:ohwell: .

divinefavor

Divine Inspiration said:
Can we just update on the brand of relaxer that everyone is using and whether it's working or not? Lately I've noticed some ladies talking about making changes i.e. switching relaxer brands, going from no-lye to lye or vice versa, trying Phyto etc etc. So...

I'm guessing some of the newbies and even the old heads will be able to gain some insight from this thread...I know I will. :look: Feel free to add any additional info about your relaxer or other brands you're considering.

The last relaxer I had was an Affirm Sensitive Scalp Relaxer.

Hair Type = 4 something (I'm not really sure) fine hair

This is the only time, I've used this relaxer. It sheds a little more than I used to. The relaxer is ok. I think I may go back to ORS (I loved this one) or try Profectiv.

Bone Straight

12-16 weeks

dlewis

Lady Velvet - mild
3b
3. Are you happy with your current relaxer?
yes
3 years

only leave relaxer in for 5 mins.
every 6-8 weeks

MissYocairis

PHYTO INDEX II ;) :yep:

4a/3c

I am ecstatic with my current relaxer! :yay: :clapping: :hula: :weird:

The last 3 touchups (since March 05) and will use again next week for my 4th touchup.

relaxed curl pattern though I am considering going to INDEX 1 for a bit more texture. :look:

I will be ending my first 4 month(16 wk) stretch next week. Prior to that, I was doing between 9-12 weeks.

Amina

Motions...Regular
4a/b
Yes very happy with my relaxer
7-8 years
Texturized...thinking about going back to relaxed curl pattern/bone straight
6-8 weeks (since using MTG I am now trying for every 10 weeks).

~*~ShopAholic~*~

TCB Bone Straight Lye, Regular.
4b/a
Yes, but will be switching to Vitale Life & Body Regular, used it on my daughter and loved the results a little bit more than my TCB.
On and Off for 13 years.
Bone straight.
Every 16wks.

sweetcashew

Elasta QP mild - lye or regular - no lye. I alternate every other touch up.

3c/4a

I am pretty happy.

For about a year and a half.

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or
texturized or some other texture?

relaxed curl with the regular and texturized with the mild

Every 7 to 8 weeks.

Last edited:

zoj2

Last relaxer was Affirm no lye (corrective relaxer that really burned me, but could have been the MTG) returning to Dark and Lovely Regular and will stay with it (Used it for two years before).
4ab

Going back to Dark and Lovely

2years

Hair is wavy

Every 8 weeks, would like to stretch longer though.

indefinite

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? Nairobi

2. What is your hair type? 4a/4b

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? yes

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? 1st time, previous affirm

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? bone straight

6. How often do you relax? every six weeks usually, just stretched 4 months...will be going back to my six week routine

Queenie

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? Mizani Regular

2. What is your hair type? 4a

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? YES!! :D

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? Six months.

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? Texturized.

6. How often do you relax? Every 5.5-6 months.

SUPER SWEET

MILD -Dudley
Not sure, I guess 4b

Yes, very happy
3 years
Relaxed curl pattern
12-16 weeks

.[/QUOTE]

J

JenniferMD

Exclusives regular
4a/b
Yes.
1 year
5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or
some other texture?
texlaxed
Every four (4) months

RabiaElaine

Affirm Lye Regular, Affirm Fiberguard Lye Regular
4a/b

Yes I am!!!!!!!!!!!!
2 years
Bone Straight in some areas, relaxed curl pattern in others, but mostly bone straight. I would like to move away from being bone straight and have a relaxed curl pattern all over. My only issue with actually doing this is that I would then have to deal with 3-4 textures as my new growth comes in. So we'll see, I may have to switch to mild to do this.
Thanks to LHCF (I love you ladies), I have been able to extend my relaxers from 5-6 weeks (horrible) to 9 weeks!! I am currently trying to push it to 12 weeks this time around. I am 9 weeks post. I am using the baggie method and wearing different kinds of drawstring ponytails and my phony pony currently so I don't have to deal with the new growth except in the shower. My relaxer goal date is December 23 (if I can't get an appointment that day due to the holiday, then I'll get one on December 22).

Last edited:

Hair2day

Creme of Nature Mild
4a/b

Very sastisfied
1 year

Every 8 weeks

Starian

Beautiful Beginnings Children's Relaxer, Coarse/Thick formulation

4 a/b

Yeah, it's cool...but it's no lye. And from all the hype I hear about it being drying, I'm going to switch to a lye relaxer, although I am aware my hair may never recover from years of no-lye use. I'm going to switch to Motions Oil Moisturizer relaxer in Mild.

Since I was a wee tyke...maybe 12 or 13. I'm 20 now.

First week I seem bone straight, but that's probably only because my hair is so flat after relaxing. The following weeks my hair has more of a very relaxed curl pattern.

Every 8 weeks...Currently it's stretched to 16 weeks because of scalp issues.

jasmin

Vitale Life and Body

4a/b

Yes and No. I like it but it just doesn't straighten enough. I now want the straight look.

I'm thinking about switching to Motions, Lady Velvet or Creme of Nature.

6 months

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, texturized or some other texture?
A somewhat relaxed curl pattern

Every four (2-3) months

Last edited:

LuvLiLocks

Cream of Nature no lye regular, mixed with evoo.

I guess it is 4a/b.

Yes I'm pretty happy., I've been thinking about becoming a lye head, but I'm scared.

Less than 1 year.

Straight with some texture

I relax every 12-16 weeks (12 on the rare ocassion, i.e special events ;) )

OneInAMillion

Dudley's Mild, No lye

4a/some 3c on sides (I think). I know that my hair is extremely fine though.

Yes, very happy!

5 years (my whole time relaxing)

somewhere between relaxed curl pattern and texturized

About every 4-5 months (best results when I do this), stretching to 6 this time. I leave it on for about 10 min max, little smoothing, sides & nape done last.

**Side note: I used Affirm Mild 2x in a row, it caused severe thinning about 1.5 years ago, and I have just recovered and regained my thickness. Dudley's is definitely more gentle on my fine-textured hair.

renee_n_3000

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? Soft and Beautiful No-Lye Regular Strength

2. What is your hair type? Wavy

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? Yes

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? About 12 years.

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? Relaxed curl pattern/Texturized (becomes straight when I comb/brush it)

6. How often do you relax? About every 4 months.

LeNghtyDreAms

Divine Inspiration said:
elasta qp no-lye regular relaxer
3c/4a
it got my hair really straight, normally i use super strength dark and lovely or super Optimum, but I'm want to try vitale mo body regular
ive only used it once
its straight, i wouldnt say bone straight though

when i was pressing my hair every other week i relaxed every 5-8 months, now that im not pressing im struggling to make it to 5 months.

tenderheaded

I have used Profectiv no lye regular since 4/05. My hair is 4a/4b and this gets it very straight without causing me to lose a lot of hair. It doesn't burn, which surprised me both times I used it. I am currently stretching to 12-13 weeks, but I aspire to going 16 weeks next time:D

I will continue to use Profectiv until they mess up the formula!