Faster Growth = WASHING or just WETTING the scalp?

What contributes to faster growth?

• Simply keeping the scalp moist with water

Votes: 134 47.0%
  • Actually cleaning the scalp w/ shampoo

Votes: 151 53.0%

• Total voters

itismehmmkay

Is it just keeping the scalp moist that contributes to faster growth, or is it actually using the shampoo to keep the scalp clean? I'm thinking it's just the moisture. Help me out!

HoneyDew

Good topic. I have wondered the same thing. Sometimes (most times) my hair is too tangled for me to get all the way to my scalp anyway. I see those shampoos with all the good scalp nutrients, but I doubt if I even get to my scalp enough for them to be effective.

mermaid

I prefer to shampoo the scalp, but my scalp flakes so it needs the shampoo to lift out the flakes. Ick.
I can go a couple days of just rinsing, but I do have to shampoo a couple times a week.

MeccaMedinah

The answer that I would have selected would have been conditioner washes. It gets the scalp clean & keeps it moist.

Mizani_Mrs

I'd say both. Keeping the scalp clean and pores open will promote growth. (although when i was a child and washed my greasy head like every 2 months..i had good growth).
Also I would reckon that moisture promotes growth???

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I voted for shampooing, because not only does it keep the scalp clean from build-up but it also stimulates the blood flow from the massaging.

Victorian

old head
My guess is that it's both the stimulation and the clean scalp that comes from washing. However, I was just shampooing once a week and rinsing & conditioning on the other days when I first noticed the extra growth, so I don't know exactly what role the frequency of shampooing plays.
Lately I've been shampooing every day, so I'll see after a while if it makes any difference.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
I don't shampoo my hair. I do moisturize my hair & scalp with a water bottle mixed with pepermint oil, EVOO, and rose water/glycerine.

I CO wash everyday with a mixture of conditioner, honey, and EVOO. I wash my hair with this concotion everyday. I have noticed faster growth, my re-growth is a lot smoother and curls more defined.

Sweet_Ambrosia

Re: Faster GrowHING or just WETTING tth = WAShe scalp?

A clean scalp will promote growth, so my vote is for shampooing/co washing.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I think your hair will flourish with constant rinsing. Shampoo could lead to dryness, but if you condition I imagine you would get the same results. Your hair is still being drenched with water.

bajanplums1

I don't know, my hair has been growing since I started just rinsing. It's been 2 months and I have close to 2 inches of new growth.

Belle Du Jour

Country gal said:
This thread defeats the Amiel L. thread.

Unless she meant that she doesn't use a lot of shampoo, but rinses instead :confused: I know my hair is good when it's rinsed frequently. Sometimes I do it daily. Sometimes only a couple times a week.

caligirl

I think rinsing helps distribute the scalp's natural oil. They kind of just sit at the roots when my hair is dry.

Healthb4Length

I think that keeping the scalp moisturized whether with shampoo or plain old water facilitates faster hair growth. I think that the whole shampooing thing is an overrated form of cleansing one's hair spawned by the cosmetics industry, in years gone by women did not have shampoo (or only rich could afford it) and their hair grew long. Any sort of massaging, like doing scalp massages with EOs help with faster growth because you get the blood flowing up there.

benosayi

Shampooing for some of us can be very drying. I have been con washing and it has made a big difference. I also have been cwc my daughter's hair between braiding and it has gown alot.

When I was a kid, I had a Jehrri curl and never washed my hair and it was thick and long. I wash my hair with some frequency now, and I haven't noticed much of a difference. I think that it could stand to be thicker, but that's just me.

Jewell

I think its a combo of the moisture and massaging action on the scalp. I do daily rinsing (CW's) but I also use shampoo once a week. There's no way I could go more than a week without the cleansing action of a good shampoo.

keldevine

When I where my wavy sew-in weave, I would wet my hair and scalp almost everyday and shampoo maybe every 4 days. I hair grew just fine and I retained all my length.

GoldenBreeze

I also say its the massaging action. I CO wash 2x a week, and only use shampoo once every 8 - 12 weeks when I do my Aphrogee treatments. My scalp is healthy, and my hair is growing. For me, there seems to be no problem with not using shampoo.

InnerSoul

I voted for washing the scalp because the shampoo cleanses away the dirt, excess oils and build up which can clog hair follicles.. In my experiences shampooing has helped me achieve faster growth as opposed to just spraying the scalp and hair with water.

Now on occasion if I don't wash my hair then the next best alternative would be just spraying my scalp and hair with my water bottle. I wash 2x per week(usually every 3-4 days) but If I go to day 4-5 then I go ahead and spray my scalp but will definitely wash it the following day.

Lucia

I vote CW, water moisture is the key for me to retain length. Shampoos always dryed my hair out.

kandegirl

I think it's actually moisture from the water for me b/c my hair really grows
when I have braids and weaves. Partially b/c I spray my scalp w/ braid spray daily. So I think the moisture helps when i get it daily over when I just shampoo my hair once a week.

MzOptimistic

Mizani_Mrs said:
I'd say both. Keeping the scalp clean and pores open will promote growth. (although when i was a child and washed my greasy head like every 2 months..i had good growth).
Also I would reckon that moisture promotes growth???

Right, I would say both too. It seems like my hair will grow if I just keep my scalp moist or if I shampoo. I wore crotchet braids for 9 months and the only thing I used during that time was African Pride Braid Spray and then one day I took my braids down to get them re-done and my hair was sooooo thick and I had newgrowth like crazy sooo I let my friend relax my hair and we used two boxes because my hair was like a sponge (I didn't know any better back then):look: anyway...my hair was wayyyyyyy past apl...the longest it has ever been...I was all frantic but anyway....yah...I think hair grows both ways....shampoo or keep the scalp moist..for some anyways:)

MzOptimistic

Lucia said:
I vote CW, water moisture is the key for me to retain length. Shampoos always dryed my hair out.

I agree shampoo's dry the hair out and that's the reason I never apply shampoo to the last 3 or 4 inches of my hair. I only shampoo the base of my hair:) and it works for me. I read that in Carolyn Gray's book:)

dany06

I've found that a balanced mixture of cowashing and shampooing really does help the hair grow. It might be from keeping the scalp clean and/or just stimulating the scalp. But i have noticed that when I attempt to transition and cant keep my hands off my new growth that my hair growth is really increased. I keep rubbing my scalp trying to feel all those curly qs which might look like Im scratching my head for forever and a day to the public but it does promote my hair growth especially with oils.