DIY Greek Yogurt DC Review (Pic Heavy)

Ms_CoCo37

Okay, I'll try to keep this short and sweet.:grin:

While surfing YouTube I stumbled across Naptural85's DIY Greek Yogurt DC recipe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=_p2O33-d154&NR=1

Since I had all of the ingredients I thought, "why not".:look:

So I gathered all of the ingredients and mixed them all together (sorry for the poor quality):

Note: since I only had nonfat greek yogurt, I opted to add a little olive oil for fat content.

I sectioned my hair into 10 twists (5 on each side), and started applying the mixture section by section:

Once applied, I partially covered my hair with a plasic cap and sat for 25 minutes:

OMG! She wasn't lying when she said the knots and kinks would practically melt out when I started rinsing! I had VERY little shed hair in the tub when I rinsed! I rinsed each section thoroughly, applied conditioner, rinsed again, and added aloe vera juice. Here is my hair product free:

Next, I applied Kimmaytube's Leave-in Conditioner Recipe:

All done!

The quality of these pix don't show just how shiny my curls were. I will definitely make this my staple DC. My hair has never detangled so easily!:lick:

Please let me know if you decide to try the recipe. I would love to hear your review. Thanks for looking!:grin:

Krystle~Hime

OMG your hair is so beautiful it looks like outre evony :spinning: !!

besides you got soft hair and melted knots, what are the purpose(s)/properties of yogurt for hair? (i can't watch the vid for the moment)

Ms_CoCo37

Krystle~Hime,

Some of the benefits of doing a yogurt dc is added shine, and it's also a great protein treatment. From my experience today, it is an EXCELLENT detangler! I can't tell you how many expensive/inexpensive conditioners I've tried. None of them holds a candle to this DC. I didn't even have to use a shower comb to detangle. Only my fingers!

I-AM-SOLD on this one!:yep:

One note, I can totally understand why she kept expressing that you shouldn't apply it to your scalp, because it stinks to high heaven! The only thing I'll change next time is that I'll try using peppermint EO instead of Lavender EO (I'm not a fan).

Z-kitty

I have been using yogurt and olive oil as a pre Poo for my 2 year olds extremely dry hair weekly for two weeks. Detangling is easy and she has vitually no shedding. I cant wait until I take my braids down and try it.

nappytherapy

I have been doing the Greek yogurt DC after watching her video and my hair has never been healthier, shinier and stronger, way less shedding and detangling is a breeze

MA2010

I tried this after seeing the version that Naptural85 did. I loved it. Your results are great! Good job!

Stepiphanie

Great results. I've done this a couple times since seeing the vid, but I used it as a pre poo instead, hair loves it.

Ms_CoCo37

@divachyk, I'm no expert, but I do know that greek yogurt has more protein than regular yogurt. It worked wonders with detangling and giving mad shine. I have used regular yogurt mixed in with my henna and conditioners in the past. But, I don't recall getting the results I got today. Of course, this could have something to do with the ACV and EO. Not sure.

I would love for others to chime in on this one!

DrC

And I JUST came from the store!! :lol: I will have to try this when I take my yarn braids out. Your hair looks nice.

Tiye

I haven't seen the video recipes, but I've been using yogurt for a few months now. I've never tried the greek but I've used regular dairy and soy yogurt. Both are excellent and I like that they're already in my kitchen. Between yogurt and coconut milk I no longer need store bought deep conditioners.

nappytherapy

I do my yogurt DC every other week and I have been doing this for
About 2 months (ever since she posted the video). I use the FAGE brand and I mix in ACV
and lavender essential. I think the ACV gave me great shine and since using
This DC my trouble areas are starting to fill in nicely
(I had postpartum breakage)

bibs

I've been mixing Greek yogurt in my DC since this summer after reading about it on here. I mix it with 1 pack ORS DC, honey, and EVOO. I'm going to have to try her mix and see if I can leave the ORS portion out (even though I love the way it smells!).

Your hair looks great, thanks for sharing OP :)

Sent from my Droid Incredible II

lushlady

This is great. I like greek yogurt, honey, and oil used as a conditioner as well. I've heard good things about Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner, so I purchased it. Not that it doesn't work, but for that price, I'm going back to my yogurt conditioner which works just as well for me. Glad you had good results.

lexxi

I used to use Greek yogurt all the time its one of the best yogurts for your hair ,at least I think so .

Ms_CoCo37

@melissa-bee, the yogurt has a very strong smell to it (even with the ACV and EO added). During the video, she mentioned that she made the mistake of getting it on her scalp and it was hard for her to get rid of that sour milk smell. That's why she doesn't apply it from scalp to end.

Last edited:

Ms_CoCo37

@HairPleezeGrow and A856, the ingredients are:

2-3 heaping spoons of yogurt (whole fat or 2%)
2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
Lavendar essential oil (she didn't specify, but I used about 10-15 drops)

Note: Since the yogurt I had was nonfat, I added olive oil for fat.

That's it! It's super simple. You can keep this for up to 3 days. The best part about it is whatever you have left over, you can use as a facial.