"Natural Hair Community My A**" -NikkiiDior

Status
Not open for further replies.

southerncitygirl

PersuasiveBeauty

she is right......even on this forum anything other than 4b/c hair is associated with being easier to maintain and manage. every hair type has its pros and cons. i'm a cottony 3c/4a and black,white, and hispanic ( black, indian, metizo,or white ones )folks say all kinds of slick and/or disrepectful stuff to me. i also get annoyed that black folks say so many ignorant things including stuff about our hair in mixed company.

I constantly have to reinterate the following:

Unlike the movie "Good Hair" most black women I know don't spend rent money or ruin their credit all in the name of their hair, products or its maintanence.
Our hair is not always chronically dry and more often than not feels soft.
Just because my hair is straight doesn't mean I have a weave or relaxer
Black hair is not hard to manage.
Black hair does grow and it doesn't grow slow. Retention is key.
I have shrinkage people!
Curly hair will always look shorter than straight, especially with a tighter curl pattern cause our hair tends to grow up or be floppy/fluffy.
I remind folks that most descendants of slaves have something in the the mix so to be technical we all are mixed racially/ ethinically ( black americans/ carribean folks).
Weaves/wigs are a styling option, it doesn't mean people are bald.

Last edited:

PersuasiveBeauty

PersuasiveBeauty

she is right......even on this forum anything other than 4b/c hair is associated with being easier to maintain and manage. every hair type has its pros and cons. i'm a cottony 3c/4a and black,white, and hispanic ( black, indian, metizo,or white ones )folks say all kinds of slick and/or disrepectful stuff to me. i also get annoyed that black folks say so many ignorant things including stuff about our hair in mixed company.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa. I didn't take sides. I just said "Who got popcorn?"

Dear God please don't put me in the middle of this thread. I am only the messenger. I promise!

AHeadOfCoils

Whoa whoa whoa whoa. I didn't take sides. I just said "Who got popcorn?"

Dear God please don't put me in the middle of this thread. I am only the messenger. I promise!

I think you read too much into her message. She just mentioned you because you started the thread

LittleLuxe

I think she has a point and I don't think it should become a drama that needs popcorn and gifs, we can all chill out and acknowledge things aren't perfect in hair land.

Sadly we discriminate, distinguish and separate others from ourselves. Whites do it, blacks do it, other races do it.

It's even done on this board.

Relaxed vs. Natural, 3's vs 4's, transitioners vs. Big chops on and on.

I think it's sad, I think were all guilty of it on some level and I think we've all heard/read/said/thought/ something that was hurtful to us because of our texture and the way we choose our hair...or we have done that to others.

It's sad but the best we can do is try to do better every day so we can ultimately get to the point where we do embrace eachother more fully and truthfully.

I can see her pain and she was respectful with her message, good luck to her.

AHeadOfCoils

She's right! Just because her hair is looser that doesn't make her natural hair journey any less significant than others. Society instilled that same "good hair" crap into her as the rest of us. I feel bad for her. Members of her own community outcasted her.... :nono:

southerncitygirl

PersuasiveBeauty

i wasn't jumping down your throat and if you thought so my apologies. i just tagged you cause you started the thread. people are so cruel and ignorant she doesn't deserve to be treated that way. whether people are relaxed or natural i'm about sisterhood and supporting and uplifting one another as black women!

PersuasiveBeauty

PersuasiveBeauty

i wasn't jumping down your throat and if you thought so my apologies. i just tagged you cause you started the thread. people are so cruel and ignorant she doesn't deserve to be treated that way. whether people are relaxed or natural i'm about sisterhood and supporting and uplifting one another as black women!

:lol:I know that now. And honey it is not your fault. I've just witnessed too many e-fights on LHCF. :ohwell:

reeko43

"Let's not act like you don't get more acceptance from men because you are light skinned with "good hair" ...Nobody should be rude to you. They should embrace you. I believe that you go through equal hair issues with maintenance and retention as well... But don't sit up there and front like society does not give you a privilege because of your light skin and hair texture. You want us to pretend like it's not there? Girl go turn on BET."

SMH at this Youtube comment.

LittleLuxe

"Let's not act like you don't get more acceptance from men because you are light skinned with "good hair" ...Nobody should be rude to you. They should embrace you. I believe that you go through equal hair issues with maintenance and retention as well... But don't sit up there and front like society does not give you a privilege because of your light skin and hair texture. You want us to pretend like it's not there? Girl go turn on BET."

:nono: A house divided...

Kalia1

Do any of us control the distribution of melanin in our skin tones?

I can relate to her pain.

Last edited:

naturalgyrl5199

reeko43:

Girl for a second there I thought that was you making that comment! I had to read it twice!!!! Whew...Lol.

But yeah that poster on YT is a mess. Sounds a lil jealous you know?

Haters gonna hate.

LadyRaider

People are weird. If I *DID* have some sort of natural advantage, I'd just be happy about it and think, "Lucky me!"

That's why we have a problem with some "good" white people. They can't accept their advantages.

I have a lot of advantages in my life. My hair tending not to tangle very much is one and thank goodness for it. I could see that things might be tougher for someone who has really really tight curls. I feel for them. I am pretty sure they can overcome.

It's all good, people!

guyanesesista

It's sad that she has to be treated like that. By the way, I wonder what city she lives in? There's a natural hair expo going on right now near where I live.

aquajoyice

It's so stupid. All these ridiculous reasons to keep us divided. I wonder what would happen if we all came together. Maybe it's asking too much. I really feel for her because those with insecurities want to impose their issues on others.

aquajoyice

People are weird. If I *DID* have some sort of natural advantage, I'd just be happy about it and think, "Lucky me!"

That's why we have a problem with some "good" white people. They can't accept their advantages.

I have a lot of advantages in my life. My hair tending not to tangle very much is one and thank goodness for it. I could see that things might be tougher for someone who has really really tight curls. I feel for them. I am pretty sure they can overcome.

It's all good, people!

I think the issue is the grass is always greener on the other side. All hair types have their issues...they may be different but still issues.

naturalmanenyc

Wow, she seems really upset. Hopefully she will come back and fully address the issue because I'm a little confused. It sounds like someone at the hair show was throwing shade and she presumes it was related to her hair being a looser texture?

nappystorm

Lanre1777's font is VERY familiar...
Women like you crack me up. Do you think her light skinned *** sticks up for you and the way the media represents you? But then when women like Tyra Banks stick up for you it's a problem.. Tyra is the ONLY light skinned woman I have seen take a stand for dark skinned women. Light skinned women like her come crying and you pat her on the back and say it's okay, but when she is eating up all the perks she don't never vouch for yo ***. And you KNOW that's true.

DrC

Lanre1777's font is VERY familiar...

Women like you crack me up. Do you think her light skinned *** sticks up for you and the way the media represents you? But then when women like Tyra Banks stick up for you it's a problem.. Tyra is the ONLY light skinned woman I have seen take a stand for dark skinned women. Light skinned women like her come crying and you pat her on the back and say it's okay, but when she is eating up all the perks she don't never vouch for yo ***. And you KNOW that's true.

Tyra Banks is light skinned??

It's the most surreal thing to be discriminated against by your own! Really! I've gotten hits here and there, but nothing as serious as she has.

Just this week I made the mistake of saying that I was one of the few 'brown' faces in my science major and some of my fellow sisters jumped down my throat and said 'light brown' as if it was another category and I couldn't go into being 'brown' okaaaaaaaaaay.

I bet if you asked the nonblacks in my class they would have said 'brown' and not that 'light brown' nonsense, same with Nikki's hair. America sees Black as BLACK whether your caramel, cocoa, chocolate, dark chocolate or whatever.

It's funny because you tell non-blacks about the 'light vs dark' complex, most of them wtf and think I'm/you're making it up. SMH

Tyra Banks is light skinned??
:lol: I've been taught recently that there's two kinds of light. :nono: 'yellowbone' and 'redbone'

where yellow is more alicia keys, lisa raye, mariah carey and red is saniaa laathan, beyonce, zoe saldana. So then by that thought she is in red category? (I've been told this many times and listened to arguments over it)

SO by that thought, yeah she is. I also think one of her white managers told her that he could sell her to the masses because she 'had light skin and green eyes' anyone who isn't crayon brown is light I think...right? All unimportant things if you ask me :nono:

PersuasiveBeauty

It's the most surreal thing to be discriminated against by your own! Really! I've gotten hits here and there, but nothing as serious as she has.

Just this week I made the mistake of saying that I was one of the few 'brown' faces in my science major and some of my fellow sisters jumped down my throat and said 'light brown' as if it was another category and I couldn't go into being 'brown' okaaaaaaaaaay.

I bet if you asked the nonblacks in my class they would have said 'brown' and not that 'light brown' nonsense, same with Nikki's hair. America sees Black as BLACK whether your caramel, cocoa, chocolate, dark chocolate or whatever.

It's funny because you tell non-blacks about the 'light vs dark' complex, most of them wtf and think I'm/you're making it up. SMH

Exactly, because we are all human and we all go through our own problems in life.

I'm curious, do you think that other races go through problems like we do? Fighting each other over physical attributes?

Last edited:

natura87

She's right! Just because her hair is looser that doesn't make her natural hair journey any less significant than others. Society instilled that same "good hair" crap into her as the rest of us. I feel bad for her. Members of her own community outcasted her.... :nono:

:yep: I have noticed this as well. I have a young cousin who just turned 4 who had MBL fine 3bc hair, both parents are black, he is a dark skinned little boy. Now let me tell you, he HATED his hair. I never met someone so tenderheaded in my life. Aint no gel in the world that could tame his hair, 5 seconds after doing his hair he would have flyaways. People would practically beg to do his hair, tell him what a pretty girl he was, mess up his curls. People assumed that becuase he had a looser finer texture that everything was all honkydory. :nono: His mother cut it for his 4th birthday and he was sooooo happy. To be honest...all that hair "feminized" (I know thats probably not a word) him and kept a lot of people treating him like a baby. He looks like a boy now and is proud to tell you that he doesnt have long hair anymore.

My coworkers daughter hair is the same as my cousin (she is mixed though) and....yeah her hair is a frizzy halo in a heartbeat. Half the time her daughter gets her hair redid more than once a day becuase styles just dont keep. So whoever said that looser textures mean easier upkeep have no clue what they are talking about.:nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.