Help!! Ready to Henna- what should I buy?

MRJ1972

Hi Ladies!!!

Please help me :)

I want to try henna. I am hoping that this will strengthen and thicken my strands. I am 4b natural, super fine and black. I do not want the red tint.

Can you please suggest the appropriate products to purchase and any additional tips would be greatly appreciated!

Platinum

I would suggest purchasing 100% Body Art Quality Henna (Jamila, Reshma, Nupur, and Karishma (?)) are some really good brands. I would suggest you also buy plenty of moisturizing cheapie conditioner to help with the rinsing process, and a good moisturizing DC. If you don't have an Indian grocery store near you, you may order from:

www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com
www.hennaforhair.com
Amazon.com

Check out this thread for more info:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=335111

MRJ1972

I would suggest purchasing 100% Body Art Quality Henna (Jamila, Reshma, Nupur, and Karishma (?)) are some really good brands. I would suggest you also buy plenty of moisturizing cheapie conditioner to help with the rinsing process, and a good moisturizing DC. If you don't have an Indian grocery store near you, you may order from:

www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com
www.hennaforhair.com
Amazon.com

Check out this thread for more info:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=335111

Thanks for the info!!!

Shadiyah

www.mehandi.com has the best products to me... but I see you said you do not want the red tint.. which means that you would have to get some indigo which would turn the henna as brown or black as you wanted it. if you want black hair the instructions on the site tells you how to get that color there are a lot of e books on this site to help you get started which I would read first before purchasing my products.

MRJ1972

Shadiyah

Platinum

Thanks for your help!

I ordered Jamila henna and indigo but havent had time to apply it.

Do any of you ladies blow dry and flat iron immediately after henna and/or indigo application? I am a straight natural so my normal routine is to blow dry and flat iron after shampoo/conditioning.

Also what Deep moisturizing conditioners do you find work best after a henna application?

TIA!

Shadiyah

I dont flat iron but there is nothing wrong with you blowdrying and flat ironing after you henna. I really don't do a deep condi per say. I wash it out with condi and then for last apply I just leave in for a few min and wash out. and I just found out that the condi I was using has cones in them so I am trying this month without the cones since I am not wearing wash n gos right now and hiding my ends for growth.

Angelicus

You may not want to use shampoo for a few days following a henna and indigo treatment. Find the best rinse out conditioner you can find and use it to help rinse out the henna and indigo in your hair. Shampooing after a treatment like that may cause roughness and breakage. HTH.

greenandchic

Shadiyah

Platinum

Thanks for your help!

I ordered Jamila henna and indigo but havent had time to apply it.

Do any of you ladies blow dry and flat iron immediately after henna and/or indigo application? I am a straight natural so my normal routine is to blow dry and flat iron after shampoo/conditioning.

Also what Deep moisturizing conditioners do you find work best after a henna application?

TIA!

I hennaed a few times back in the '90s when I still pressed my hair weekly and had no issue with it. There was hardly any information on how to use henna at the time, but I knew I should do a DC of some sort after rinsing it out - my hair felt like it needed it. I now learned that you should use a conditioner that doesn't have protein in it.

I never shampoo my henna out. I use a cheap conditioner like Sauve to cowash it out then I use a DC of some sort.

JJamiah

I have shampoo'd my henna no problems and one of my packages suggest to do so. Now I use a Cleaser like Hair one, 2 times after Henna and 2 times after Indigo. I also DC for 2 hours after rinsing the indigo out. It is definitely an all day event for me.

Bajanmum

I use Hairveda's sitrinillah for DC. It works really well and my hair is soft and supple after an over night DC

greenandchic

Wasn't implying that shampooing henna out was bad, just not that necessary and can contribute to the dryness many people have after a henna treatment. Shampooing before henna is more important IMO depending what you already have in your hair, but you can do both if you like.

I do find that using BAQ henna rinses/cowashes out easily without the need for shampoo.

MRJ1972

UPDATE!!!!

I have my henna mixed ( with coconut milk, will add brahmi oil right before application) and will apply it tomorrow followed by indigo!

Hope all goes well!!!

MRJ1972

I guess tumbleweed is blowing through this thread, but I still want to provide my results :grin:

I left the henna on for 3 hours- my few gray strands didnt change in color :perplexed...Maybe I should have left it on longer?

Followed up with indigo for 2 hours and a deep condition with heat.

Findings:

Hair felt softer after rinsing indigo with cheapie conditioner

Not as black as I thought it would be
--------------------------------

Plan to henna/indigo once a week or twice weekly to speed up results.
My hair is fine and super thin, so I hope that henna helps my poor head!