Why I love my Napz..Let me count the ways

aquajoyice

1) I love how cottony soft it feels after a deep condition
2) I love the versatility from straight to afro and everything in between.
3) It's what God gave me
4) I can go from APL to Neck length without having to cut my hair
5) It's sooooo much easier to manage than what I was told growing up

Note: When you learn to love your hair everything from that point on is a piece of cake. Let's stop focusing on the negative and accentuate the positive.

Join in and tell all those discouraged why you appreciate your Nappy hair!

bride91501

Girl! I was just thinking how needed this kinda thread was today!

-I LOVE how thick and wooly my hair is...
-I LOVE how it takes water forever to find my scalp when my hair is loose...
-I (secretly) LOVE how long it now takes me to get to the end of a single twist or braid...
-I LOVE when a new natural compliments me on my 12 months of growth...it's like having a conversation with the newly natural me....

reeko43

Have there been a lot of negative posts? I see quite a bit of positive ones. I think I see way more negative threads/posts about permed hair but I may be wrong. Anyway, I like the comments so far.

adamson

I actually like when my hair responds to the elements... especially when it gets fluffy when it's humid :)
And I enjoy the variability of hairstyles. I can wear it natural, straight, or shrunken, whenever I want.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I just like what's on my head because it's healthy and it's mine...

And sometimes it's like a box of chocolates....you never know whatcha gonna get :D

Nonie

Cute thread OP. As I've said before, I adore my hair. These two posts kinda tell you why:

I think this post from a Dec 2009 discussion summarizes my reasons for being natural:

Originally Posted by Nonie
Pros:
  • Independence galore. I don't think I could ever trust myself to touch up my new growth with relaxers without some overlap occurring or else under-processing at the demarcation point, so I would have to depend on a stylist for my touch ups
  • Versatility and never boring. I love that I can enjoy any and every hairstyle I want. I can go from short to long, straight to coily, wear braids/twists etc without worrying about unraveling.
  • Inexpensive hair. Besides shampoo, conditioner, ACV and plastic caps, I really don't spend a lot of money on my hair. S Curl is used when I wear my hair out and if I'm not wearing it straight. I last used it in March and so a bottle lasts me forever.
  • Soft, touchable hair. OK, if HIH disease is not your thing, then this would be a con but for me, I love the way my hair feels. When it was straight, I hardly cared to play with it. Now, you can hardly keep my fingers out of it. It feels so nice to touch.
I honestly can't think of anything I don't like about my hair. I don't even get SSKs that I can think of. I don't spend hours detangling. My hair never feels like a chore to me at all. I think a lot of it has to do with being so self-centered that I took time to get to know my hair--not to make it do what other hair does--but to get to see what it alone can do. I've been natural for more years of my life than relaxed, but it wasn't until 2003 or 2004, that I really took notice of my hair and really started to see what it looked like and learned how to handle it. I finger-comb a lot (that HIH disease thing is serious I tell ya!), and love to feel and see it go ping! I dunno, I'm Nonie and I'm addicted to my hair.

Taken from The Pros and Cons of Being Natural Discussion

IIRC, the consensus on the forum is, as long as you're referring to your own hair, then it's OK to use the word "nappy". For instance, Nonie's 4B hair is nappy/kinky/tightly curled/tightly coiled and it can be combed out to look like a cloud and like cotton.

It can also be stretched in braids so it appears to have no pattern.

It can also be straightened with heat so it looks like it has no bends at all.

But when washed, Nonie's 4B hair shrinks back to its nappy/kinky/tightly curled/tightly coiled state. And I think it's beautiful in all its forms, even when it's nappy:

Did I mention that my hair is so well-behaved that it does what I tell it to do and stays that way till I say it's time for change?

melissa-bee

I like the way it reacts differently with different products, it's like a nice surprise... most of the time lol.
And most of all the way it can look kind of different everyday without doing much to it. and how I can stretch it over night and in the morning it looks like a did a blow out when I didn't :grin:

keepithealthy

I love my hair because I've always wanted curly hair growing up and never knew I had it lol!!! I love my hair because of how thick and fluffy it is. I love going from almost bsl to ear length in a matter of moments! I love not having to worry about blending two textures; not experiencing burning and dry scalp from relaxers. I love that my nieces all want to be like me and rock there fro's!! I'm really amazed by my hair just because I never knew that it could look the way it does. :D

Nonie I second your post!

GaiasDaughter24

I love my hair because I've always wanted curly hair growing up and never knew I had it lol!!! I love my hair because of how thick and fluffy it is. I love going from almost bsl to ear length in a matter of moments! I love not having to worry about blending two textures; not experiencing burning and dry scalp from relaxers. I love that my nieces all want to be like me and rock there fro's!! I'm really amazed by my hair just because I never knew that it could look the way it does. :D

@Nonie I second your post!

Ditto the bolded. I've ALWAYS loved natural hair, I just never knew I had it. I didn't know that it was exactly as I had imagined my hair being!!

-I LOVE how soft it is.
-I LOVE how it looks wet.
-I LOVE how it gets bigger with rain (I had an awesome braidout yesterday that only got awesomer (yup, made that up lol) and bigger as the rain hit it) :grin:
-I LOVE how beautiful my hair makes me look
-I LOVE that it can be short one day and long the next
-I LOVE the waves it gives me when I pull it back into a puff or ponytail
-I LOVE the versatility

Seriously, I can go on and on.

I just ADORE my hair.

AwesomelyNappy

nice thread!

I love my big hair. no teasing required
i love how it can look fierce and frame me like a lions mane
i love touching my coils, curls, naps and waves. just like how it feels
i love how versatile it can be
i love its thickness, and softness
i love how we are getting along, how it demands respect and care, and how sweet its been to me lately.
i love how its healthy
its never boring. offering me up new challenges and keeps me on my toes.
i love how it looks in different states, and how those different states can transform my whole look (wet, dry, moisturized, pulled back, styled, straightened)
I love how my own hair journey and enthusiasm has inspired others in my family to focus on having healthy hair journeys themselves.

i love it so much, i want more of it (grow baby, grow!)

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for this thread! I was getting sick of the negative/condescending threads sprouting up on here lately. I come to the board for inspiration, positivity, to admire all the beautiful heads of hair, and to encourage others. If I wanted to hear mean things about my hair I can go outside for that. I really would hate for the board to be overrun with that kind of mess.

I love how soft it is and how it feels like cotton.
I love the natural volume it has.
I love that I can have a textured look or big hair without having to backcomb.
I love how unique every head of natural hair looks.
I love how easy it is to manipulate into anything that I want.
I love that I can have straight hair one day and an afro the next.
I love how easy it is to be low-maintenance.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Oh, I forgot a big one that I love about my hair. My hair doesn't lose it's shape just because the wind blows. As soon as the wind stops my hair goes right back to the way I styled it. No hairspray needed, what's not to love about that! :)

aquajoyice

Oh, I forgot a big one that I love about my hair. My hair doesn't lose it's shape just because the wind blows. As soon as the wind stops my hair goes right back to the way I styled it. No hairspray needed, what's not to love about that! :)

YES! I loooove this about Afro textured hair! We can look great without killing the ozone :lachen::lachen:

KurlyNinja

I love that my hair can mimic any hairstyle I want. It can be a cute shrunken fro one day and I can have silky swang the next.

I love just putting my fingers through it. Wet or Dry.

This doesnt really have much to do with it being natural, but I love the health of my hair and the natural shine it has even when its all frizzy and fuzzy.

CurlsBazillion

1) I love how cottony soft it feels after a deep condition
2) I love the versatility from straight to afro and everything in between.
3) It's what God gave me

4) I can go from APL to Neck length without having to cut my hair
5) It's sooooo much easier to manage than what I was told growing up

Note: When you learn to love your hair everything from that point on is a piece of cake. Let's stop focusing on the negative and accentuate the positive.

Join in and tell all those discouraged why you appreciate your Nappy hair!

With all the negetive posts about "nappy" hair thought i'd be a positive light :)
thank you for this thread because alot of ppl have been hatin on themselves and they don't even know it. Self (hair) hate is such a bad look!

i love the elasticity
i love the sponginess
i love how soft it feels
i love how it fits me soooo well

I love how slightly stretched hair can be super silky and my wash and go hair, as my dad put it, looks like a jheri curl:ohwell:. I can be fro'd out or blow'd out and its ok cuz them curls snap right back baby!:grin:

lovegymnasts

Thank You
Thank You
THANK YOU!!!!!

I was going to start a thread somewhat like this except I was going to have people do shout outs if they find their natural hair easy and loveable.

I was feeling a little, a little...it was a little depressing for me reading this board recently.

My napz are
1. beautiful
2. healthy
3. soft
4. awe inspiring
5. easy to care for
6. long and getting longer​

I love to touch them.
I love to look at them.

People are fascinated by them.

They can do so many things. They hold a style.

They like the cheap stuff.

Their mine.

aquajoyice

Thank You
Thank You
THANK YOU!!!!!

I was going to start a thread somewhat like this except I was going to have people do shout outs if they find their natural hair easy and loveable.

I was feeling a little, a little...it was a little depressing for me reading this board recently.

My napz are
1. beautiful
2. healthy
3. soft
4. awe inspiring
5. easy to care for
6. long and getting longer​

I love to touch them.
I love to look at them.

People are fascinated by them.

They can do so many things. They hold a style.

They like the cheap stuff.

Their mine.
You got that right! Gorgeous hair!