Spinoff: Shedders What Vits or Products saved your hair?

chicha

:welcome:Thinning women, hair loss women UNITE!:grouphug2:

What vitamins (internal) or products (external) or combination of those, saved your hair? We have special needs especially those with Alopecia's , DHT issues, Female Pattern Baldness or history with Male/Female Pattern Baldness in your family.:pullhair:

What productS (int & ext):

Frequency and dosage:

Your Alopecia/hair loss and how it worked for you:

What Have You tried that DIDN'T work:

What are you GOING to try (PLEASE REPORT BACK):

We WILL win this war! Sound off ladies!:trophy:

Last edited:

chicha

I'll start:

What product: Spironolactone prescription, Nizoral 2% topical shampoo prescription, Saw Palmetto, MSM

Frequency and dosage: Spironolactone 25 mg daily, Niz 2% (every 3 days), Saw Palmetto 2 tablets daily, MSM 2000 mg

Your Alopecia/hair loss and how it worked for you:Mines is Androgenic Alopecia or dht/Female pattern baldness like the men have. I used to have about 200 hairs fall out a day now its maybe 50 hairs a day. The Spiro has helped the most but because of the side effects I'm looking for other natural alternatives.

Garlic at 2-4 pills a day, different brands, and it never helped.Blood tests for low iron(fine),thyroid issues(fine),lupus(fine), DHEA-S androgen(fine), Testosterone(low normal)
Coffee oil
Coffee, tea rinses
Maxi Hair vits (country life)
topical saw palmetto extract (used for 5 days shrug)
Groganics vits, Ice oil
garlic oil (home made)
garlic shampoo (Queen Helene)
garlic oil and tablets (2-4 tablets for 2-3 mos)
protein conditioners
MTG
MSM mixed in hair vit (it DOES work as a standalone pure powder, see previous post)
Saw Palmetto tablets (Walmart brand, used for 1 month, as a standalone remedy, did not work. Now trying along with reduced dosage of Spironolactone. That combo is working much better).

What are you GOING to try (PLEASE REPORT BACK): I've heard Nu Hair vits may help with dht hair loss. I will try and report back.

UPDATE 7/14/11: Started Nioxin vits and not NuHair. Very good at growing out the hair that i have. No new growth in the balding scalp areas. I will try 2 pills to see if I can regrow those areas.--Setback. Stopped using the Ketoconazole/Nizoral 2% shampoo and the shed increased DRAMATICALLY. Back to it I guess (sigh). Thinking of dissolving Spiro tablet in setting lotion and spraying that on scalp during sets for topical version of Spiro. Yeah may sound crazy but that stuff when purchased is a friggin beast! Its expensive as hayal!

Last edited:

chicha

bumping...Looking for the shedders, PCOS, Pattern Hair Loss, Alopecia, Post baby having, thinning haired ladies! These are all dht related hair loss. :)

growinghealthyhair

Products: Jamaican Black Castor Oil / Nioxin Vitamins
Frequency: Twice Daily
I'm not sure what you would call my hairloss, It's from relaxers/color. MY hair had thinned out very badly , and both of these products have changed my hair sooo much. Especially the vitamins. My new growth since taking the vitamins is a lot thicker than than the rest of my natural hair. Im also retaining length.

BostonMaria

I use Aphogee whenever my hair feels frizzy and dry. It always saves the day! You'd think I'd use it more consistently but I don't LOL I think every 3-4 months would be good for my hair.

beloved1bx

I have thinning edges since I was in highschool. As my mother got into her 50s her hair thinned/fell out significantly at the edges and the top of her head. I haven't been to a derm, so I don't know if it's alopecia, but 4 years ago my doctor told me i had PCOS so it might be hormone related. I also shed a lot of hair on a regular basis.

I saw someone mention Nizoral shampoo. Since that is a DHT blocker I found that it did curb my shedding significantly, but at the time I was fighting serious dry hair issues (still am, but definitely not as badly) and it was leaving my hair too stripped and tangled when washing, so i stopped using it. But that was right before i started my healthy hair journey so for others it probs won't be too much of a problem. The good thing is that you can find it at any pharmacy. Saw Palmetto is another DHT blocker and I bought the liquid form, and i think I'll add a few drops my pre-poos.

I also read that caffeine/black tea works to curb shedding. Instead of doing a rinse, I made a cup of tea, poured it into a spray bottle and have been spritzing my roots/scalp every few days. I have noticed fewer hairs when combing.

chicha

Thanks girls!

beloved1bx If Nizoral shampoo helped, yes thats what you have female pattern hair loss (dht hair loss). PCOS suffers do have FPB/dht Baldness.

Niz 2% is my primary help. It was to drying and tangling for my hair until I used Keracare moisterizing poo afterwards on my hair only. Did the following.

- Use nozzle to apply Niz to scalp only (plat hair first)

- Rinse Niz very well in the shower while holding up plats (doesnt run down hair)

- Shampoo hair (Use Keracare poo on hair only to soften and remove Niz, let sit)

Believe it or not that Keracare is the ONLY thing that will remove the Niz from my hair. I've tried all kinds of conditioners, detanglers, oils, and combo's but nothing else works. I let it sit for 5 mins while I bathe. It leaves my hair feeling like silk. It is my GOD SEND!

Tried tea, coffee, didn't work.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Shedding...Lemme see. I think keeping my Protein/Moisture Balanced has helped greatly reduce shedding.:yep:

I'll pull out AE Garlic Treatment & Nutrine Garlic after "Relaxing" to help ward off any potential shedding that 'could' occur.:yep:

I've also been using Hydratherma Naturals Follicle Booster which is also suppose to help reduce Shedding and I really like this product.

I've started taking Nioxin as well and from what I've read, it also helps reduce shedding.

Moisturizing & Sealing I think keeps 'dryness' at bay, helps with shedding too.

Truthfully, I'm not a Huge "Shedder". Although I think I have my Seasons. I tend to 'Shed' more in Fall/Winter.:ohwell:

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

I've used sooo many things to combat shedding - but- I didn't have typical shedding, mind you. I"m an Alopecia Survivor. I invite you guys to peep this thread that I started to help anyone dealing with grave hair loss issues, not the seasonal kind.

Things I've used -
Prayer
Spiritual Confession
Spiritual Visualization
Waistlength Hair Cocktail
Garlic Oil (homemade)
Garlic Conditioner
Garlic Conditioner (homemade)
Megatek
MN/Sulfur 8
HydroCortisone
Cortisone Injections
Cortisone Scalp Cream
DermaSmoothe Oil
Sulfur Oil (homemade)
Castor Oil
JBCO
Baking Soda Scrub
Henna
Amla, Brahmi, Maka Oils
An AFrican Scalp PRoduct - I forget the name, lol
Cayenne Oil
Vodka Cayenne Oil
Coffee Oil
Helsinki Formula
Coffee Rinse
Brewers Yeast
Alfalfa
Wheat Germ Oil
Lecithin Oil
Amino Fuel
Gelatin
Gelatin Capsules
Nettle Tea Rinse
Horsetail Tea Rinse
Rosemary Tea Rinse
Nettle, Horsetail, Rosemary and Coffee Rinse
Ovation Cell Therapy
Alter Ego Cren
Follicle Nutrient Serum
HF37
Viviscal
NuHair
Black Cohosh Root
MSM
Some Other Herb that Made My Boobs Bigger
Garlic Oil Capsules
L-Cysteine
Amino Acids
Prayer

and there's gotta be about 777 things I've left off this list - they've all worked to some extent, but I've been such a Product Junkie, I stopped using many of them before I really gave them a substantial time to be effective.

I do not recommend to ANYONE to do what I've done in the past few years, you will never get to the root cause of your issue and your problem will linger and get worse.

Stick to ONE thing and give it at least 6 months to work before moving on. I went over the top and would use so many supplements and oils and conditioners simultaneously that I didn't know WHAT worked and what didn't. Don't do this to yourself. Save yourself the grief. Keep it simple. Here's the link I promised. You can win, I'm proof.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=419438&highlight=survivors

Last edited:

chicha

Bronze thanks so much for that link! Lets link up! We can share our stories AND list what works. Now that you've mentioned it there are alot of other things that didnt work for me.

Again ladies I have dht or androgen related hair loss.
If this is not your issue these things may indeed not work for you. Most PCOS and postpartum ladies suffer from this. My dr only tested the androgen DHEA-S and it was fine BUT like male pattern baldness my hair is sensitive to androgens. It falls out when it see's dht or androgens in my blood stream. Maybe I'll ask for all androgens to be tested.

PLEASE mention the type of Alopecia that you have if you know it.

If you don't know your Alopecia just describe where your hair was falling out and if you have a family history of it.

(I was prev not diagnosed but later it was confirmed. Just know my fam history and seeing thinness in temples and back of head at the top, plus miaturization is dht so all of that points to female pattern baldness or dht hair loss).

Last edited:

Ltown

Greyland
chicha, thanks!

I got itchy, bald edges from using indigo i was dx with seborrhea dermatitis. In Feb i used niz and was given fungal creme, nothing. March, i was given lupra shampoo, and derma smooth. The flakes decrease but after a month of using steriods i'm shedding. I have decrease using the poo and steriods. I've been using alter ego conditioner, and tea rinse just this week. I'm going to try coffee rinse too. I think i need to try stronger tea. There is a thread that have more information too. Good luck ladies!

prettynatural

Think, Do, Be
I am using black tea, rosemary and nettle oil and sulfur. The black tea helps with shedding and the oils stimulate growth. I have a hormone problem that leads my hairloss.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using SCH-I400

.:Eden:.

I started using Hawaiian Silky Miracle Worker 14 in 1 over the last 3-4 weeks. I didn't wash my hair for two weeks, and when I went to detangle and remove shed hair, my hair ball was as big as a 1 week hair ball and not a 2 week hair ball. I don't know if this will help you ladies with serious shedding issues, but I thought I would share.

lynnstar

Spearmint tea is a natural anti-androgen. I have had great results from drinking one cup of spearmint tea daily to help combat symptoms of PCOS.

bellezanegra826

What has worked to regrow my hair after alopecia has been
1. Find a black dermatologist who knows how to handle black haircare. I went to Dr. Scales in Durham NC for anyone who is near the area.
2. I got cortizone injections in my scalp in the areas of hair loss (I got injections about 2 times)-- worked great
3. I was prescribed Fluoccinde (sp) liquid to put in my scalp between visits for cortizone injections -- worked great
4. Queen Helene garlic shampoo
5. Nu Hair vitamins for females taken religiously for at least 1 month worked to regrow hair after shedding.
6. Wearing a lace front to take my mind off of my hair so that I would not stress as much about my shedding and compound my hair loss.
7. Prayer

Incognitus

@chicha, thanks!

I got itchy, bald edges from using indigo i was dx with seborrhea dermatitis. In Feb i used niz and was given fungal creme, nothing. March, i was given lupra shampoo, and derma smooth. The flakes decrease but after a month of using steriods i'm shedding. I have decrease using the poo and steriods. I've been using alter ego conditioner, and tea rinse just this week. I'm going to try coffee rinse too. I think i need to try stronger tea. There is a thread that have more information too. Good luck ladies!

I too was dx with seborrhea dermatitis. It gets bad when I'm stressed out. I have tried all kinds of meds from my Derm, and not much luck. When I got on the MN bandwagon (and was consistent), the s.dermatitis pretty much disappeared. For some reason, I've stopped using it (laziness). This past year, I've been doing ACV rinses and it has helped a great deal. Before LHCF, a few other "natural remedy" forums recommended applying undiluted ACV as a spot treatment to s.dermatitis. I tried that as well, and it helped.

gn1g

tea works better than most anything I've tried. any kind of herbal tea.

Nizoral works but not as good as the tea.

My shedding comes from stress, I also have a hot spot, it's hard to deal with.

One of the very best shedding treatments I know of is Salerm Vegetable Placenta Restructurer 32 Applications

Salerm Vegetable Placenta Restructurer leave in, I swear this stuff will stop shedding in it's track. I go from shedding 50 hairs to nada. not 1 hair shed. however when you stop using it I think you loose more hair than before. So if I run out of it I usually do a nettle tea rinse. I have a bit of hypertension so I can't use coffee or black tea but I have in the past and they work.

Oral Garlic does not work. I have been taking garlic for years for hypertension and the only thing it does is lower your blood pressure, keep you from catching colds and give you buldging veins. :lachen:

Last edited:

faithVA

What productS (int & ext):
I am using an oil blend: jojoba, almond, Vitamin E, rosemary EO, sage EO, basil EO, lavender EO

Frequency and dosage:
I use the oil with my leave-in, prepoo and conditioner. I apply the leave-in 1x-2x daily. I prepoo weekly. I am using the oil directly on my scalp 2x-3x a week with a scalp massage.

Your Alopecia/hair loss and how it worked for you:
I have hair loss in my crown and thinning edges. Some of this is hormonal. The issue with my crown is also due to skin sensitivity to relaxers. I haven't relaxed in years but my crown is still sensitive to the touch.

I have just started with my oil blend so not sure how it works. Using it in my leave-in is crucial because it soothes my scalp which always seems thirsty.

I tried Boundless Tresses but I had a reaction to something in it (which may also be a result of hormones). I was only able to use it for a week. I do think it would have worked.

What are you GOING to try (PLEASE REPORT BACK):
I am going to continue with my oil blend for several more months. And if I don't notice any difference by Sept. I may try the alter ego products.

I haven't really been doing anything for shedding. I do shed quite a bit but I am working more on nailing my regimen and after that I may focus on shedding if I still find it to be an issue. As I change my products I am noticing less shedding automatically.

aa9746

Thanks girls!

@beloved1bx If Nizoral shampoo helped, yes thats what you have female pattern hair loss (dht hair loss). PCOS suffers do have FPB/dht Baldness.

Niz 2% is my primary help. It was to drying and tangling for my hair until I used Keracare moisterizing poo afterwards on my hair only. Did the following.

- Use nozzle to apply Niz to scalp only (plat hair first)

- Rinse Niz very well in the shower while holding up plats (doesnt run down hair)

- Shampoo hair (Use Keracare poo on hair only to soften and remove Niz, let sit)

Believe it or not that Keracare is the ONLY thing that will remove the Niz from my hair. I've tried all kinds of conditioners, detanglers, oils, and combo's but nothing else works. I let it sit for 5 mins while I bathe. It leaves my hair feeling like silk. It is my GOD SEND!

Tried tea, coffee, didn't work.

How do u get the 2% I can only find the 1% @ CVS?

cookie1

I've always had really nice thick hair. I think there are alot of reasons my hair started to shed like crazy (medications, hard water((Iowa)), permanent coloring, relaxing) and while I still have alot of hair the strands are pretty thin. At first, I didn't know what to do so I washed my hair, took vitamins, did protein treatments, conditioned, etc., and nothing seemed to help. Just lately, I decided to give Treasured Locks H2G Awaken Emu Oil Shampoo & Conditioner :yay: a try. I've only used it twice and while it's a bit pricey, it's worth the money and if I would've followed my first mind many products ago, I would've saved $100's. First, the shampoo is thin (runny) but, it lathers well and while I usually have a sink full of hair while poo'ing..there haven't been any hair in my sink. The conditioner is thick and it gives me slip and just manageable hair. When I'm combing thru it w/ the conditioner comb, I might get 5 hairs maximum now! It still shed while I'm blow drying but at least 60% less. Now my hair isn't shedding when I'm combing it and the shine on my normally dull hair is great!!! Most importantly..I can wear it down now because it's not all stiff (like it usually was), and it lays in place, blows w/ the wind and goes back in place. When I unwrap it, it's not like a flying saucer. I also use their Hair Growth Serum and my hair seems to have made a 360 degree turnaround already!!!

VirGoViXxEn

AE garlic Shampoo and Conditioner. Used this weekend to combat heavy post relaxer sheddng and my shedding stopped tremendously after one use. i wll comtnue this combo for the next couple of weeks!

chicha

I'm going to try the Alter Ego been reading and seeing many say it's helped them. Its either AE or the Nioxin 8 that Lita told me was pretty good. I'll let you ladies which 1 works for me and my case (androgen/dht hair loss).

AKA-Tude

What worked for me-

1) MN - mixed with an oil like castor, or alone
helped to thicken my hair and grow what was there.

2) My own mix of SAA, nettle, burdock root, garlic, peppermint and saw palmetto extracts as a leave-in spray.

Using these 2 items were instrumental in stopping the shedding and thickening my hair.
I still use the MN now, not so much the spray.

Aside from heredity (my mother had the same shedding), I attribute my shedding to stress and HBP meds.