SHOULDER LENGTH 2011 CHALLENGE!

Imani

I usually don't start threads, let alone challenges, lol. but since no one else stepped up, and I was getting anxious, here goes!

Simply answer the questions below (and any other info you want to share) and post a starting picture. You can post a pic now, or if you are hiding your hair, u can just come back and use the EDIT button to add it later. I'll go first!

What is your current length?
Layered neck length.

What is your goal date to make SL?
April 2011

Relaxed/natural/texlaxed/transitioning?
Transitioning. I only have about 1.5 inches of relaxed hair left.

How do you plan on getting to SL? (ie. Protective styling, no heat, stretching relaxers, growth aids, etc)
Minimal heat/low manipulation. I wear my hair in braids/twists under a half wig. I only plan to straighten my hair about 3 times in 2011. I take a multivitamin and biotin daily. I also try to exercise and drink lots of water. I use a sulfur based serum on my scalp in the section of my hair that is thin/grows slow.

Whats your long term length goal?
APL

Challengers:
Imani :yay: April graduate
Sianna:bouncegre June graduate
cadi
lovely locks
Rossy2010 :superbanana: June graduate
PittiPat
Phaer :cup: August grad
Evallusion :clap: June graduate
makeupgirl:bouncegre April graduate
miss stress :congrats: August grad
tapioca_pudding
pookaloo83
Simply_Elle
Nik Nak
iri9109
falloneue :cup: March graduate
LoveisYou
chellypie810:congrats: June graduate
LuvlyRain3 :yay: September graduate
faithVA :congrats: May graduate
TLC1020:congrats: August graduate
gottabme247 :congrats: March graduate
asakeba
Ravengirl :cup: April graduate
nkb115
loveurself84
ZeeontheGrow:yay: June graduate
Chiquitita:woot:April graduate
destine2grow
Dyaspora :woot: July graduate
ksly4ever
itjusthair88 :clapping: September graduate
LilMissSunshine5:clapping: November graduate
LHDC24
Glitter
BreeNique
BERlin
blaque syren
PositivelyRadiant
DRL100281
MochaMooch
onemoretry
Nicolesanjuan
CocoT
Idorceus
AvaSpeaks :clapping: April graduate
luvovcandy
Candida1121
ChocolatePanther
Amazhaan
Klearli
Guyaneek :congrats: April graduate
carnivalapple :clapping: June graduate
nimmy
yardgirl
tngirl22
wish4length
Ebsalita :yay: March graduate
fungirl08
Anastaja11
sarathu
growinghealthyhair
Retro :woot: May graduate
Nobreakage
NikkiQ :yay: June graduate
Sesi
nik83
itismehmmkay
apple_natural
Used2Bbald
morehairplease
TracieBLovely
Goddessmaker
PeJae
newnyer :congrats: July graduate
PaigeJessica:yay: July graduate
Charla :yay: October graduate
iamtan :cup: June graduate
Tchanelle
Freespirit02
VintageGlam
Belle_de_Paris
Fyne
gvin89
labelleroxcii
Missjae09 :bouncegre June graduate
jaded_fairie
charmtreese

Last edited:

Janet'

Way to step it up...I'm sure the other ladies were just waiting...Happy Hair Growing!!!!

Sianna

*Smacks forehead* I don't know why I didn't think to do this!!! I'm in the SL challenge for 2010, but I don't think I'll have quite enough length to claim it before the end of the year.

NL with natural layers.

I'm hoping to make it by January, March at the latest!

All natural baby!! :lol:

How do you plan on getting to SL? (ie. Protective styling, no heat, stretching relaxers, growth aids, etc)
Keeping it up so it's not brushing against anything. I don't really do PS like I should, but my hair seems to be doing fine anyway. I'll just be sure to keep it moisturized and wrapped at night.

Currently it's APL, but if my hair wants to grow beyond that I won't object. :grin:

There's a picture of my flat ironed hair in my siggy!

cadi

Hi, count me in im new to this forum and would like to join this thread to force my self to take good care of my hair am looking for full blunt shoulder length in 2011
Layered clb length (only one layer the rest are way behined).
ranging from 4.5 to 8.5 inchWhat is your goal date to make SL?
April 2011
natural.

Minimal heat/low manipulation. I wear my hair in wet buns (tried cornrows didn't like em). I only plan to straighten my if my wedding plans went as planned. I take biotin daily. I exercise 3xweek. I use henna, DC weekly, cowash, rose merry and horstail rinse, and wash with herbal powder.
APL blunt

lovely_locks

Neck length

June 2011

I'm natural

I am going to co-wash everyday (i exercise daily) and just keep wearing my wash and go's till I can master the kinky twist. I don't trust other people with my hair so I'm learning...slowly. So for now I am going to moisturize like crzy since I am not PSing for a while.

I would love to have my hair mid back length.

And here are som pictures. The puff is from two days ago, and the one with my hait flat ironed (as you can tell I'm not good at flat ironing) was done about two three months ago.

Attachments

• 2010hairstrt.jpg
    2010hairstrt.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 2010puff1.jpg
    2010puff1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 2010puff2.jpg
    2010puff2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 2010puff3.jpg
    2010puff3.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 154

Rossy2010

Pls count me in. I have been waiting for this challenge like forever :lol::lol:

Neck length.

April 2011

Relax ed
PSing with french braids, Im stretching my relaxer btn 12-14 weeks. I will be using MSM, biotin and sulfur as from january 2011
Waist length (if i can)

PittiPat

I'd like to join. I just BC after 14 months of growing out my texlaxed hair, so this is the challenge for me!

About 3" all over(except around my perimeter, since I have alopecia :sad:).

October 24, 2011. One year after BC (I'm a very slowwwwwww grower).

Natural, one month tomorrow *cabbage patch dance*

My protective style is wearing wigs, but I may try braids very soon. No heat. Since my BC, I've been moisturizing with water midweek and using my variation of Kimmaytube's conditioner along with my s-curl activator. Regular protrein treatments. Multivitamin.

APL will work for me! :crossfingers:

Phaer

I am definately in, and was waiting for the 2011 challenges to post.

neck length, a bit uneven, I will try to correct that as my hair grows.

August 2011

Natural, BC 11/06/10 after 6 months transitioning

I will grow my hair with kinky twist, and rest in between by using wigs. I will finger comb as much as possible, CON wash weekly, shampoo and Steam monthly. No heat at all this year.

I am taking MSM, Biotin, B complex, L-Cystine and Vitamin C daily, some days I will skip those and take Vitamin A, Barlean's Total Omega and Iron. I will excersise at least three times a day and keep up my water intake. I will make sure to keep my hair moisturize with my beloved JBC, MGT and Aloe mix.

APL unstreached

Attachments

• pv8.jpg
    pv8.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 149
  • PV3.jpg
    PV3.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 133

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
Layered neck length.

Who knows...

Natural

Playing it by ear...not into the growth aid stuff though

Not really sure...I'm just letting it do what it do for now.

makeupgirl

Count me in

layered hair with NL, CBL, and SL in some areas

April 2011

natural

PS w/ wigs (keeping hair twisted or braided under wigs) but also when I straigthen my hair, I'll keep it in a ponytail, use 1/2 wigs or just do roller sets.....no heat unless my hair is straight (which will be limited), co-wash on nights that I work out, DC 1/wk....baggy 5x a week

growth aids - Hair, Nails, Skin vitamins w/ Lutein and MSM

BSL

Imani

Hey everyone. Thanks for joining. Please let me know if I forgot to add anyone's name.

I have some side questions for everyone, I'm nosy! Why is your hair currently short? Was it cut intentionally or from a setback? Will this be your first time making sl?

Sianna

^^^ What a coincidence!! I'm nosey too!! And I don't mind giving out info about myself! Funny how that works out sometimes! :lol:

Why is your hair currently short?
My hair has ALWAYS been short!! It would always break off, especially in the back and has never maintained even NL for very long. :ohwell:

Was it cut intentionally or from a setback?
This go round it was intentionally chopped off in the interest of going natural! :yep:

Will this be your first time making sl?
YES!! This will be my first time EVER making SL!!! I'm already closer now than I've ever been in my adult life! :grin:

cadi

emmm good questions :)

i had to cut it after a stuiped stylers burned it when pressing it although i told her my hair can't take that much heat and would go very straight just with blow drayer but she insisted , then i went to another styler to cut all the burned hair and she choped it off in a very bad and weried hair cut that was July 2009 so i had to keep trimming it every month trying to have a better looking hair (i did it myself this time) till august 2010 i stoped the trimming and viola my hair start growing (long sad story)

intentionally by my styler first then by me

no i made it once six years ago when i decided to take care of my hair after a bad experience with another styler. I noticed that my hair is better if i took care of it myself

Imani

emmm good questions :)

i had to cut it after a stuiped stylers burned it when pressing it although i told her my hair can't take that much heat and would go very straight just with blow drayer but she insisted , then i went to another styler to cut all the burned hair and she choped it off in a very bad and weried hair cut that was July 2009 so i had to keep trimming it every month trying to have a better looking hair (i did it myself this time) till august 2010 i stoped the trimming and viola my hair start growing (long sad story)

intentionally by my styler first then by me

no i made it once six years ago when i decided to take care of my hair after a bad experience with another styler. I noticed that my hair is better if i took care of it myself

That sucks! I was actually getting my hair flat ironed weekly at a salon (in Atlanta). They do a pretty good job and never burned my hair. But i just think weekly is too much for my hair, it was starting to get kinda limp looking which is the exact opposite of why I wanted to be natural! To always have full luscious hair. I'm going to start straightening only maybe 3-4 times a year.

Imani

Let me answer my own questions!

My hair has always been relatively short. In grade school, my hair was generally always around SL (which is referred to by my family as "back when my hair was long", lol), but never any longer. Then in late high school/college, with traveling for internships/school, it pretty much stayed layered neck length.

I have been on LHCF since forever, and as embarassing as it sounds, I swear this is like my 5th SL Challenge. :blush: I think the main reasons I haven't made it is bc I wasn't willing to sacrifice style and refused to give up heat/chemicals (not saying everyone has to give up heat or chemicals to grow their hair but I think that is the reality for ME). the closest I've came recently was back in 08, I was layered SL. I was wearing my hair out every single day and abusing heat, so it only lasted a few months.

So while I will be excited to make SL, I will be SUPERexcited to make APL, bc my hair has never been that long before. I truly believe EVERYONE can have long hair, some of us just have to sacrifice more to get it.

Last edited:

Imani

^^^ What a coincidence!! I'm nosey too!! And I don't mind giving out info about myself! Funny how that works out sometimes! :lol:

My hair has ALWAYS been short!! It would always break off, especially in the back and has never maintained even NL for very long. :ohwell:

This go round it was intentionally chopped off in the interest of going natural! :yep:

YES!! This will be my first time EVER making SL!!! I'm already closer now than I've ever been in my adult life! :grin:

My hair breaks off really bad in the back as well. Not in the nape area, but right above it. So I always end up with this weird tail/mullet look. My grandmother would describe it as "looking like a rat had been chewing on the ends of my hair"! Disgusting, I know! But seriously, thats how it would look, just ate up in that one little section. :nono:

When I made SL a couple years ago, I had been using MTG in that area. I really don't want to deal with that smell again, so I've been using Bee Mine sulfur serum in hopes that it can give similar results without the smell.

miss stress

Please count me in ladies!

My hair is currently shoulder length in the back but all sorts of lenghts throughout and thats wht Im trying to correct. I hope to be FULL shoulder length by Dec 2011. I'm relaxed and to get to full shoulder lenght I plan to do the following:

Protective style in braids and wigs, weaves,and my upa clip, stretch my relaxers 12 weeks or more(i'm on the fence abt transitioning though) wash and dc weekly no wet combing or brushing(had tht bad this yr.) and drink lots of water take my supplents, get my excersise in, sit back and wit to see gains. My Long Term Goal is to reach Full Bsl.

My hair has pretty much always been short it would get to abt shoulder length and always break off back to neck.

chasturner84

I was wondering when someone would start this challenge! Way to go, OP! Best of luck SL 2011 Challengers. Grow girls, grow! :weird:

Rossy2010

Hey everyone. Thanks for joining. Please let me know if I forgot to add anyone's name.

I have some side questions for everyone, I'm nosy! Why is your hair currently short? Was it cut intentionally or from a setback? Will this be your first time making sl?

Why is my hair short?
I was 4 inches away from SL then i has some good advice to trim my ends. I decided to even out my hair instead and honestly I have realised tremendous progress since my minichop. I cant show my progress pics coz im in the HHY challenge.
was it cut intentionally or from a setback? Intentionally and I dont regret it.

Will this be your first time making sl? No and Yes
It will not be the first time to make it to SL BUT It will be the first time to make it full SL.

tapioca_pudding

I'll join :)

Layered neck length.

May 2011

Texlaxed

Occasional use of BT, rollersets, protective styling, just leaving it the freak alone. :) Also going to start getting my relaxers done professionally to avoid overlap/breakage etc from self relaxing.

APL

Starting length in sig pic!!

BC'd in Jan to start over

Intentionally

I was past SL before I BC'd

lovely_locks

I BC'd back in June 2010

Intentionally by me and my husband...mostly my husband

Nope! My first time reaching shoulder length natural. I'll post a pic of my hair the last tiem it was shoulder length. I was relaxed and dyed a honey blonde. I miss my hair when I see this pic! :(

Attachments

• long.jpg
    long.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 112

Simply_elle

Heyyyyyyyy! I'm in too!!!!

TWA..ear,forehead, and mid neck stretched.

June 2011 my One year post BC

Natural and loving it!

Wash and Goooooo's lol when i'm a bit longer pinned up twists Ala Mohaganycurls style
:yep:

BSL

I BC'ed at 3AM on a double dog dare from the mister...he bet me a $100, was planning on going natural anyway

intentionally!

No, I've been SL APL-ish all my life... relaxed and I want BIG beautiful hair...Plus I had a wicked flat iron addiction...OMG it was bad. Funny BC I cant see putting heat on my precious curls!!!!

Pic of me like...a month ago?? I have crazy shrinkage...oh well:look:

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 65

pookaloo83

Neck Length

April 2011

Natural

Protective Styling

APL

Sianna

My hair breaks off really bad in the back as well. Not in the nape area, but right above it. So I always end up with this weird tail/mullet look. My grandmother would describe it as "looking like a rat had been chewing on the ends of my hair"! Disgusting, I know! But seriously, thats how it would look, just ate up in that one little section. :nono:

Since you are transitioning I'll tell you that as a natural, my hair is now thriving in the area where it used to break off! I think the reason I was having a problem there is because the hair back there is finer and more fragile. It couldn't take the abuse and so it simply broke off. Now that I'm natural and properly moisturizing my hair on a regular basis, I think it's actually growing faster and maintaining better than the parts of my hair I thought were more resilient!!