BAMBOOZLED by Afroveda

Rastafarai

First I want to say that I've been a loyal customer of Mala Rhodes, owner of Afroveda LLC, for two years. I religiously ordered her products and conditioners thinking I was getting the best and paying for the best. Even after the recent price hike I was still willing to support Afroveda as my hair loves her products.

That is, until I realize many of her products, her conditioners in particular, are created from hair bases, yet purported as being mixed and concocted by the owner herself. :nono: :nono:

Take for example her $21.95 Ashlii Amala Deep Conditioner. Here are her ingredients:

This rich hair treatment contains Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Cetearyl Alcohol, Castor Seed Oil, Moringa Leaf Powder, Red Raspberry Oil, Buriti Seed Oil, Stearalkonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, d-Calcium Panthenol Vitamin B5, WheatPRO Plus, Coconut Oil, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Pomegranate Oil, Meadowfoam Oil an essential oil blend of Lime, Tangerine, Orange and Thyme, and love.

Now compare to the hair base found at this website:

Hair Masque

Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ricinus communis (Castor Seed) Oil, Stearalkonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, d-Calcium Pantothenate (Panthenol Vitamin B5), Hydrolized Wheat Protein, Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Limnanthes alba (Meadowfoam) Oil

It is the exact same products minus the added oils and WheatPro Plus either you or myself can add if we so desired.

Mala charges close to $22 for an 8 oz of this product. You can get the same product for $22 for 1/2 a gallon on the above website.

That's 64 ounces you can purchase for $22 compared to 8 oz for $22 dollars with Afroveda.

Buyers and potential customers beware. I choose to no longer be bamboozled by this phony.

Last edited:

LunadeMiel

:nono: :nono:

The link says that's it's 90% organic so maybe that's why they feel comfortable using it :ohwell:

Last edited:

EllePixie

First I want to say that I've been a loyal customer of Mala Rhodes, owner of Afroveda LLC, for two years. I religiously ordered her products and conditioners thinking I was getting the best and paying for the best. Even after the recent price hike I was still willing to support Afroveda as my hair loves her products.

That is, until I realize many of her products, her conditioners in particular, are created from hair bases, yet purported as being mixed and concocted by the owner herself. :nono: :nono:

Take for example her $21.95 Ashlii Amala Deep Conditioner. Here are her ingredients:

This rich hair treatment contains Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Cetearyl Alcohol, Castor Seed Oil, Moringa Leaf Powder, Red Raspberry Oil, Buriti Seed Oil, Stearalkonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, d-Calcium Panthenol Vitamin B5, WheatPRO Plus, Coconut Oil, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Pomegranate Oil, Meadowfoam Oil an essential oil blend of Lime, Tangerine, Orange and Thyme, and love.

Now compare to the hair base found at this website:

Hair Masque

Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ricinus communis (Castor Seed) Oil, Stearalkonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, d-Calcium Pantothenate (Panthenol Vitamin B5), Hydrolized Wheat Protein, Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Limnanthes alba (Meadowfoam) Oil

It is the exact same products minus the added oils and WheatPro Plus either you or myself can add if we so desired.

Mala charges close to $22 for an 8 oz of this product. You can get the same product for $22 for 1/2 a gallon on the above website.

That's 64 ounces you can purchase for $22 compared to 8 oz for $22 dollars with Afroveda.

Buyers and potential customers beware. I choose to no longer be bamboozled by this phony.

LOLOLOL! Hey! For the record, I fully support this exposure.

FearfullyMade

Yea, I've noticed ingredients used in alot of products are things that you can buy yourself and them mix up. (Don't forget to take them off your list of staples)

LunadeMiel

I just had a thought, so this little piece here contradicts their reasoning behing the recent price hikes.

EllePixie

For the record, just about all of her conditioners are bases...

- Holy Basil, Coconut Moisture, & Neem - If you like these you can use this: http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/i...category_id=53

- If you like the The Tea Tree and Lemon, Ylang, CinnaMint, B.A.R.E, and possibly the Ananda (???) conditioners, you can use these bases: Wholesale Bulk Hair Conditioner - Tea Tree 1 Gallon

Wholesale Bulk Aromatherapy+ Conditioner - Ylang and Ginger

Wholesale Bulk Aromatherapy+ Conditioner - Rosemary Mint 1 Gallon

Wholesale Bulk Conditioner - AromaFree® (Unscented) 1 gallon

Neith

This broke on NC.. like yesterday... but apparently everybody (INCLUDING SOME FAVES HERE) are using bases.

Who else? Just curious. I feel that's really not right for any company to do if they claim that their products are formulated by them and made by hand...

EllePixie

Brendita's Body Works, Wonder Curl, Amourai Organique, HairVeda, Jasmine's Bath and Beauty...there are more.

Oh, and the the silica in AV's conditioners is apparently actually a cone in the base. The base ingredient says, "Dimethicone (from Silica), and she just chose to list silica...

Rastafarai

This broke on NC.. like yesterday... but apparently everybody (INCLUDING SOME FAVES HERE) are using bases.

Alot of us are still out of the loop though. I just found this out today. :(

Thanks to EllePixie and the members of NC. I can't believe Mala.

Rastafarai

Brendita's Body Works, Wonder Curl, Amourai Organique, HairVeda, Jasmine's Bath and Beauty...there are more.

Oh, and the the silica in AV's conditioners is apparently actually a cone in the base. The base ingredient says, "Dimethicone (from Silica), and she just chose to list silica...

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

PJaye

So, all one has to do is buy a conditioner base, add oils to it, package it and pass it off as an original, self-derived product?

Neith

Unbelievable... I really am shocked. Part of the reason people buy from smaller natural/organic companies is because we want a truly hand made product.

It's sick that people would take advantage of their customers like that. :nono:

So, all one has to do is buy a conditioner base, add oils to it, package it and pass it off as an original, self-derived product?

Apparently. They are making mega profit with much less effort, while deceiving the customer. :nono:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I like quite a few of these companies that have been purported to use "Bases" for their products. :look:

Although I don't think it's fair some of them are trying to charge a Kings Ransom for their "Handmade" Products.......I know full well, I am not going to be Mixing Anything (no time soon).:look: :lol:

Not going to Happen.:ohwell:

So, I will choose wisely with whom I spend my money and Customer Service, Shipping, Willingness to "resolve product issues" will definitely be something that I strongly take into consideration and focus on moving forth.:yep:

I've ordered Handmade Products from 2 Companies recently, and the Customer Service was terrible. :rolleyes:

So, I've added them to my Personal NO-BUY List.:yep:

bravenewgirl87

Oh, girl... you really surprised? A lot of these start up companies make the products from bases. That's nothing new. If they made them with natural and organic products they would have FAR more preservatives and would cost a LOT more.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
It does not mean she actually uses this product to make her conditioners. This is just a site the poster here found. It just means anyone can use these ingredients to "make" a product similar to Mala's by spending less. Mala has made some ladies angry with the price hike, including me. I just don't know if this is a true source of information being spread. No offense. Ya'll already make it sound like it is something Mala does.:nono:

Last edited:

Rastafarai

Correct. Even you can do it. Just don't forget to charge 5x as much to gain a profit and when you feel like pulling an Afroveda, up the price within a year and explain its because of increase prices of raw products.

If she's charging this much for conditioners, I'm pretty certain we're being ripped off on her butters too.

*fabulosity*

Hair Products and Their Bases - CurlTalk

I think according to some members I've known for quite a while and have curbed my spending for those certain products because I would rather buy in bulk for cheaper and add my own things...

I didn't break it because it would be like telling people there's no Santa and of course even in black in white some people will still deny.. and it's not that deep.. to me at least.

And it's nothing wrong with it.. people are in business to make a profit..

Last edited:

Rastafarai

It does not mean she actually uses this. This is just something she found. It just means anyone can use these ingredients to "make" a product similar to hers by spending less. Mala has made some ladies angry with the price hike, including me. I just don't know if this is a true source of information being spread. No offense.

Not sure why she would create her own products with the exact same ingredients if she can get it in bulk for far cheaper than what she may have to pay for individual ingredients.

She is saving time and money buy ordering these hair bases in bulk.

Neith

If you use a base... fine.

I don't agree with lying about it though.

If you say it's your own formulation and you say you mix it by hand, that's what the people buying it with their hard earned money should get.

Also, hiking the price up so high just because you added a little oil or other ingredients? Shameful.

jmho

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

The use of bases does not bother me.

I am not an AfroVeda customer, never bought their products and never will; however, my mother uses bases for her products (NOT haircare but bodycare) and she literally does hand prepare everything. She uses the base (lotion, shower gel etc) and she adds color, scented oil etc. She also personally does the packaging and labeling.

Granted, my mom is not charging $25 for a $5 product/container and she also has no display at her store advertising wholly organic or handmade or specially formulated products.

EllePixie

Honestly I don't mind if they use bases, because like IDareT'sHair said, 9 times out of 10 I'm too lazy to add stuff unless it's MSM or castor oil or honey. I just don't like it when they act like they put their blood, sweat, and tears into a product when they CLEARLY did not...that's just lying to consumers.

La Colocha

Nothing wrong with using bases people just don't want to be lied too, then charged an arm and a leg for the products.

Solitude

For some reason, I'm not surprised about Hairveda. They do not claim their products to be completely natural and organic....although they do claim them to be handmade.

Sigh...I KNEW these companies didn't have the means and equipment to make some of these products by hand. At least Hairveda's products are reasonably priced. I will still patronize them as long as the prices stay low. I don't buy from any of those other companies.

ETA: I just noticed that Hairveda's site actually says "handcrafted" and not handmade :scratchch

Last edited:

Rastafarai

The use of bases does not bother me.

I am not an AfroVeda customer, never bought their products and never will; however, my mother uses bases for her products (NOT haircare but bodycare) and she literally does hand prepare everything. She uses the base (lotion, shower gel etc) and she adds color, scented oil etc. She also personally does the packaging and labeling.

Granted, my mom is not charging $25 for a $5 product/container and she also has no display at her store advertising wholly organic or handmade or specially formulated products.

Fair enough but using that same argument, how come Mala's hand preparing now cost customers close to 3x as much in under one year (from $9 to 12.50 and now $21.50)? Is there now some added premium in using her hands/talent/expertise?

And you're telling me adding oils, WheatPro Plus and Moringa Leaf Powder to a hair base is to cost me over $10 a pop for an 8 oz?

In my honest opinion, Miss Mala Rhodes done lost her dayum mind.