Everything you ever wanted to know about PhytoRelaxer and them some.

Did you find this information useful?

• Yes

Votes: 250 96.5%
  • Nope; you wasted your time.

Votes: 9 3.5%

• Total voters

KAddy

Everything you ever wanted to know about PhytoRelaxer and then some.

OK, because there have been numerous threads about this relaxer I decided to just compile one BIG THREAD that hopefully answers all of your questions.

Yours truly,
PhytoPusha

What is it?

The PhytoRelaxer is a no-lye relaxing system that does not contain the drying agents that other no-lye relaxers contain. This is perhaps why those of us who use it love it and the softness that we experience. It contains natural ingredients that aid in the breaking down of the tightly curled texture of our hair. This relaxer has also been used by other racial/ethnic groups as well that too have experienced the similar results as us. Here is the info from the website:

PhytoRelaxer is a luxurious experience of long-lasting control, manageability and versatility. A genuine innovation from PhytoSolba Laboratories, the formula incorporates a breakthrough discovery using active ingredients from 100% natural origin: the active egg extract relaxes and smoothes, while soya offers antioxidant properties and hydration. Simultaneously, PhytoRelaxer protects the hair shaft from dehydration and minimizes scalp irritation. After the application of this exclusive high-technology relaxing complex your hair will feel and look more silky, strong and radiant.

What are the active ingredients?

Product: Straightening Cream
Active Ingredients 1) Egg Extract & 2) Soya Extract
Actions: 1) Smoothes and relaxes the hair & 2) Hydrates

Product: Inductor 1 or 2
Active Ingredients: Guanidine Carbonate
Actions: Boosts the relaxing actives

ArmyQT said:
OK here's the deal. The DRYING agent in no-lye relaxers is the calcium hydroxide. It leaves calcium deposits (buildup) on the hair shaft which forms a barrier against moisture. This element has been removed from Phyto. It's conductor is guanadine. So therefore, I think Phyto is the best of both worlds. It's easy on the scalp AND the hair. The proof is in the pudding. And I've seen it firsthand already. I remain optimistic that the quality of my hair will continue to improve with Phyto. But you know as with every other product...what works for some, doesn't work for all. It's all about finding what's best for your hair, and sometimes that means taking a chance.
How does PhytoRelaxer differ from other relaxers, is it as effective as chemical relaxers? (from website)

Yes. PhytoRelaxer is effective yet different because it relaxes the hair without harsh chemicals or the irritation usually associated with chemical relaxers. It does not contain any, Lithium, Calcium or Sodium hydroxides or Thio. Thio based refers to the ingredient Ammonium Thioglycolate - A hair straightener, antioxidant and depilatory. All lye and non-lye or traditional relaxers are not compatible with this ingredient.

How many applications are in one kit

The box states that there is enough for 2 touch-ups. I just mix the whole kit because I am not good at measuring and throw away the remaining relaxer.

If there are 2 applications, it sure doesn’t look like it. What if I have like 14 weeks of new growth?
Nice said:
When I did my phytorelaxer, I had four months worth of new growth and I had a little bit left over. So, there is enough for at least one application.
ArmyQT said:
it'll expand once you mix it. I used quite a bit and I still had some left over.
dontspeakdefeat said:
I think I had about 3/4 in of unstretched newgrowth. I had plenty of relaxer left. I used some it to go over some underprocessed areas from my last relaxer It was still a hefty amount left. I was like "shoot next time I am gonna use half!!
I have used affirm for years, is it better than affirm?

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=49903

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=50002

Can I use the PhytoRelaxer over previously relaxed hair? (this is directly from the website)
Yes, according to a "root application" or "touch up" procedural method. PhytoRelaxer is compatible with all relaxers -except thio based relaxers. Overlapping relaxers is not recommended when using PhytoRelaxer or any other relaxer.
It's not recommended to use PhytoRelaxer or non-thio relaxers (Sodium, Lithium, Potassium, Calcium Hydroxides) over hair previously treated with thio based products (Japanese or Thermal Reconditioning).

How much is it?

60 dollars

No, seriously, how much is it? :lol:

60 dollars

Can I use it when I color?

I DO NOT have bleached or highlighted tresses, but I want to say that this disclaimer goes for other relaxers as well. IMO, this statement is refering to using the products at the same time or within a time frame that is not safe to do one after the other (say one week). My recommendation is to contact the company for further clarification regarding this. (1-877-SPECIFIC). I know someone else posted this same question about a month or so ago and I advised her to call. I don't remember if she posted what they told her though.
Tracy said:
Well the ladies already hooked you up with the most important parts of the info.....but I just wanted to add that FYI - every single relaxer says that it should not be used on bleached hair....bleach and relaxers just don't make good bedfellows. (headfellows?)

You CAN do highlights with color and it's the same exact process that you'd use to do bleached highlights - you just use a mixed permie color instead of bleach is all. If you do use bleach though (and I have with no trouble) it is PROTEIN you need to maintain color. It is not oil, it is not moisture, it is PROTEIN.

Relaxers remove protein from the hair as well as destroy the chemical structure of the protein that is in the hair. Color does the SAME. Hair that is colored AND relaxed gets weak, and mushy, and melts (as Dana notes - particularly when bleach is involved) because it is in dire need of PROTEIN.

People who "saved" their highlights by "oiling" them got lucky if they weren't also using PROTEIN. Oil prvides lubrication so the hair doesn't snap off as easily - but when you do that you're treating a SYMPTOM of the problem (loss of elasticity is due to loss of PROTEIN, not loss of oil or moisture) and not the root.

PROTEIN, PROTEIN, PROTEIN is THE most important part of a color regime. If you remember nothing else, remember that.

NOTE: TRACY DOES NOT USE THE RELAXER.

Where can I purchase the PhytoRelaxer?
www.hairboutique.com
Call 1-877-SPECIFIC and the service agent will tell you where it is sold in your area.

Should I make the switch from Lye to this No-lye relaxer?

I can’t tell you the to this questions as it really depends on your hair. Some ladies have success switching back and forth from lye to no-lye like myself. Others state that no-lye doesn’t work well for their hair.

Last edited:

KAddy

Singing Praises

SherryLove said:
[I call her the originator as this post was from April 2004]
SherryLove said:
I am so excited. I had to share this with you ladies. After reading numerous positive reviews on hairboutique.com, I was more than convinced to try PhytoRelaxer Index 2. What convinced me the most was a lot of the women who used the product said it did not burn their scalps and their hair was soft, bouncy and full of body after they used the product. Not to mention, I have had pretty goods results with the Phyto 7 leave in conditioner.

I wasted no time purchasing
PhytoRelaxer
from hairboutique.com. It was a bit pricey ($60 w/free shipping), but it is well worth every bit of those 60 dollars.

Well, let me tell you. My sensitive scalp did not burn one bit while my stylist was applying the relaxer to my hair. It was almost as if she was applying a conditioner to my hair instead of a relaxer. My hair was soft, bouncy with incredible body and straightness.. My stylist was speechless at first. She then said, "Bueno relaxer, mommy. very very good. Beautiful." Ladies, I am still in disbelief. One of my coworkers said to me: "Your hair looks softer and bouncier today."

I could never imagine a product (that is 100% no lye) making my 3c/4a hair so straight w/o burning my scalp. the only thing now is my hair feels soooo heavy when it is wet. NO MORE AFFIRM, DUDLEY OR MIZANI.
PhytoRelaxer Index 2 is a keeper for me. I could just kiss the African doctor who formulated this product.

DigitalRain said:
I switched from lye to Phyto and so did Sherrylove. I switched because the lye relaxers were taking its toll on my scalp. Its been almost 2 months since my touch up and no problems.

Sengschick said:
Now, having used the relaxer I find that at no point does my hair feel weak. I recall from past relaxing that my hair felt really fragile after processing and for the next few weeks actually. It broke more when wet etc. For some reason after I rinse the relaxer my hair feels better, healthier even. It's buttery soft and still really strong, it's like I had a conditioning treatment instead of a relaxer. The other thing I really like is that my hair always feel hydrated and I have a lot of body in my hair. It never has that permed lifeless look or feel. My other big thing is burning, every perm I ever had made me burn quickly and not once have I had any such issue w/Phyto. That alone was major for me.

armyQT said:
I'm amazed @ my hair. It's amazingly soft and bouncing and behaving like nobody's business. My hair has NEVER behaved like this EVER. Even after going to salons. The Phyto seems to have done major conditioning on my hair hair strands. Although I only touched up the roots, the relaxer still touches the hair during rinsing. I absolutely LOVE the results. ALso I forgot to mention. My roots are not completely straight. But that's what I want. I still have some wave left in there and that's fine by me. I will never use another relaxer.

jamelabe said:
I used the PhytoRelaxer on my hair Thursday 01/13/05 and I will no for sure in about 3 weeks but right now I'm pretty sure I will never use another brand of relaxer ever. Both my daughters needed touchups over the weekend and the oldest didn't want to wait for the PhytoRelaxer to be delivered. I should have made her wait although her hair still came out nicely because I was using Affirm. My middle daughter is going to wait for the Phyto so I gave her a Dominican blowout. She has such beautiful thick hair and I know the Phyto is going to do fabulous on her hair. I've gotten several compliments at work about the shine, body and how healthy my hair looks. I'm telling everyone about the PhytoRelaxer but I think the cost is turning them away. I wish I could hand them out to the ladies because I know they would be hooked.

Ms_Kenesha said:
I really like it and I can tell the diff in the phyto relaxed hair it's softer than the other relaxed hair. I also like the fact that my hair felt "heavy" after I relaxed it, it wasn't like the relaxer took the thickness out of my hair it just made my hair straighter.

MonaLisa said:
I've gone and done it! I am now officially in love with Phytorelaxer! I got my touch up done and I love it...it was a great experience... I have no desire to use any other relaxer again. I'm glad I made the switch...I kept looking at my hair in the mirror and I couldn't believe it. My hair always looks underprocessed, textrelaxed...not this time...I had to let my hair down and let it bounce when I walked in the street since the weather was mild in New York.

It really is a fabulous relaxer, no burning, no discomfort, no underprocessing, hair looks healthy and feels good. Big thumbs up ova here yo...for real...the experience was bananas...lol.

My hairdresser also made a comment about how soft my hair was when she was rinsing the relaxer out. She was like imagine if we used this relaxer here!

longhair1 said:
Another Phyto addict checking in - I was always pretty happy with my Mizani at the JC Penney salon, except the too straight and flat hair - I wanted my hair pretty straight but not flat - BUT - I hate hate hate sitting in a salon for hours, waiting them to finish styling it when I was just going home that night and pulling it back into a ponytail the next day, paying $70, changing my schedule to make an appointment - so for two years I kept saying I was going to try it myself at home. Read about Phyto relaxer for those years, saw a couple of sources that said it was low pH, made for home users so it's hard to screw up, and plus I tried some of the other products and liked them first. And when I finally screwed up the courage to do it myself - a touch up, so only half the box - I was thrilled. No burning (tho I have had burning since then when I wasn't so careful about not scratching), hair just straight enough, incredibly shiny somehow, velvety feeling - it really does feel like some kind of deep conditioner - and no breakage/hair falling out, which is what I was terrified of. I remember reading a post on another board when I was doing my research and this guy who did his hair said he left it on his head for an hour - ! - willing to risk it because he was going for a punky look so bald would be okay if that happened - and it didn't! That might have been the last thing I read that made me say go for it.

Honi said:
My mom was due for a touch up so I gave her my kit. What a daughter will not do for her mom.

I saw the concern on her face when I gave it to her. She never heard of it and asked where I got it from. When I told her from an internet site, I had to reassure her it was not like Copa or something.

She only used half of the jar and the kit does not look like there is enough for one application. Her hair type is 4a/b and the kit I had was index 1.

Application took 15 minutes or less like the other relaxers she used. What I noticed was that there was no strong relaxer like smell. After she finished rinsing, conditioning, etc I took a look at her hair. It was so soft, shiny, had body, bounce, silkiness and smoothness to it. Did I say body???? It was straight but not plastered on her hair like the others which takes a week or so to get the body back.
Honi said:
She loved the results and was surprised as all get out. Today her hair is still very, very shiny. (from a later post)

atlantatiffany said:
just wanted to let u ladies know this is the best relaxer ever. for a while i had been using affirm faithfully, but since so many women loved the phyto relaxer i decided to try it. just so u know i have extremely thick hair and i used the index 1 relaxer and it straightned my hair without any problems.

Last edited:

KAddy

Singing Praises

Ms_Jennifer said:
Well the experience was wonderful to say the least. I did the unthinkable and conditioner washed the day before the relaxer and blow dryed my hair with a comb attachment. It didn't burn AT ALL. I'm shocked out of my mind because I burn even when I make sure I don't do anything to irritate my scalp. This was my first self relaxing experience. I did everything by the directions exactly because I'm a big chicken. I did it all at once with 4 sections doing each one as Southerngirl explained. I left the relaxer on for a total of 20 mins then began washing it out. It came out perfectly straight. I'm used to straight because my stylist (used to be stylist I may add) used to have it so slick I looked bald, but the difference was, it wasn't slicked down. It was very full shiny and sleek looking. The softness was indescribable.

I got a little scared one time tho because I kept seeing these little white egg shell like specs in my hair. I neutralized four times and I knew it was all gone. I still don't know where the specs came from, but when I did my daughter's touchup today with it, she had she same thing in hers. All in all it was wonderful. I'm still shocked I didn't burn. I am a 3c and I used index 2. I have pics in my album if you care to view them.

dina32 said:
I finally tried Phytorelaxer this weekend after months of "thinking" about it. And let me tell yall, it is worth the hype and then some! In twenty years of relaxing may hair, I have never ever ever felt my hair with so much softness after a relaxer! Usually, my hair is somewhat hard feeling after a relaxer and I have to put stuff in it for days before it feels normal. But this time, my hair had so much shine, softness, and bounce! I had no burning and when I combed my hair, not one strand of hair left my scalp! Also, I have no flakyness or dry scalp like I usually do following a touch-up! This stuff is amazing. I went out to Bloomingdales over the weekend and got the Phytospecfics conditioner and hair balm (cant recall the name right now).

I too have been HOOKED...

dontspeakdefeat said:
This relaxer is absolutely amazing. It left my newly relaxed hair soft, moisturized and silky. It is a huge difference in the phyto relaxed hair and the affirm relaxed hair. Somehow though, my entire head of hair is bouncy and shiny and I actually wore my hair down for 2 days because I was in love with the way it looked. I got so many compliments from family and friends.

DahomeyAhosi said:
This stuff is great. I just went past the one month mark since my first touch up with phyto. I wanted to use this as a guage because my only other experience with a no lye relaxer led to extreme dryness and intense tangling when washing. I've had neither of these problems with phyto.

perfectpeace said:
I tried the relaxer. About 3 touch ups ago. I was originally relaxing with Optimum No-Lye and was very pleased with the results until one day it just did not take for some reason. I waited another 6 weeks and tried it again. Again, it would not take to my hair. I got a little nervous because now we're talking 13/14 weeks of new growth. So I ordered Phyto Index 2 from Hairboutique (I cannot believe I paid $44 for a product with only two applications). It got the hair straight!! Straighter than Optimum. My mouth flew open, I could not believe how good the hair "looked." No breakage either. The only thing . . . it left this sort of waxy buildup on my hair that I could not shampoo out. I was not too concerned about it . . . I figured I'd get it out on the next wash day. Next wash--washed, and there was something strange about the feel of my strands . . . I really cannot expain it but there was a coating, a strange roughness to it almost like the cuticles stayed raised (even after neutralizing). I switched to Affirm Mild with Lye. Finally, it feels like my original hair again.

In summation, Phyto Index 2 does relax well (even better than Affirm Lye or Optimum No Lye IMO), I just was not used to the texture it gave me. Hope this helps.
DeltaQT said:
TO THE BEAT OF DESTINY'S CHILD "SOLDIER"...

[First Rap: T.I (DC)]

Hey (I want PHYTO!)
From what I heard, you're the hottest around
They'll know it when they see me with my hair hangin down
(I got PHYTO!)
Wit the curls down bouncin around..
Shakin' and swingin' each side..can't believe my eyes
Wit the smooth ends at the bottom, roots straight and real fine
When them stylists be spittin' at you tell 'em don't even try it
I'll push it with Seng and kick it wit Kaddy & DSD
Cause anthing else is out of its league
Please!

[Hook: DC]
If ya don't have Egg
I ain't usin' it
Betta have Soya if ya lookin at me...
I need PHYTO
That ain't scared to straighten up for me
Known to carry Extracts

That are just right for me..
If your status ain't Egg
I ain't usin' it
Betta have Soya if ya lookin at me...
I need PHYTO
That ain't scared to straighten up for me

Gon' have all my hair
Growin' down to my feet....

ALL MY PHYTO USERS.....WHERE YA AT? WHERE YA AT?

**THE END**

:lol: I guess you all can tell that it finally came and that I am veeerrryyyy happy with the results....

Got me SANGIN' !!!:lachen::lachen:

Last edited:

KAddy

Complaints

ETA: The smilie (or frownie) is not geared towards the ladies that dislike it, but to show that they dislike it. Kind of like their "thumbs down"

CandiceC said:
Phyto and my hair do not mix. I wish I had a positive review of the relaxer, but it just didn't work out for me. :nono:

Last night I read the instructions about three times, got all the materials together and got ready to jump on the Phytowagon. I fell off. My tightly coiled, 16 week post relaxer, 4 a/b hair just didn't respond much to the no-lye. I worked quickly and smoothed quite a bit. I accidentally left it on my hair for a couple minutes longer than necessary, but it still didn't take. My hair line "looked" smooth during the process, but I could tell the rest wasn't even really ready. I didn't want to leave it in any longer though.

When my coworker -who knew I was going to be trying a new relaxer- saw me earlier, she said "Oh, you didn't try it." It looks as though I haven't relaxed at all. If she saw my hair under the hats I've been wearing beforehand she would have noticed a difference, but the difference isn't great enough for me. It doesn't even look texturized except for a couple of spots toward the front.

I'm use to having Affirm regular applied to my hair. I plan to return to it. I plan to do a corrective with it soon and just not leave it on too long.
I didn't get the silky feeling from the Milky Reconstructor either. If it's not braided up my hair is just hard to please.

So I'm one of the few that hasn't had a good experience. It's not Phyto itself I'm sure. It's the fact that it's no-lye. So far I don't regret trying it out though.
DMarie said:
The phyto didn't work out for me either. I was natural and self relaxed with affirm fiberguard lye. Then I attempted a corrective with the phyto do to all of the hype here and wasn't impressed with the results. My hair is not soft anymore. It seems like moisture doesn't get into my hairs cuticles like they use to. I had a hard time getting the phyto to mix well and after its application had to use all of the neutralizer to get the chemicals out of my hair. Then I noticed a copper colored strand o hair on my head. Sure I used a no lye over a lye relaxer and that could have been the problem. But phyto definately caused the dryness since it had been exceptionally soft before. Also, the phyto made my hair tangle like you wouldn't believe!! I HAD to use a moisturizing conditioner just to be able to comb my hair. My hair was literally sticking together. The new growth that I relaxed with the phyto isn't even soft. I initially relaxed with affirm for 15 minutes and then the phyto 20-25 minutes as directed and some of my hair still isn't straight.

good luck.

dmarie
amazin9 said:
I have been having problems with dry hair since I switched to phytorelaxer. I am currently using Index 2 and my hair is constantly dry. I have fine 4b hair because my new growth is not a spiral, it is in a soft z pattern. I have always had problems with no-lye relaxers making my hair dry, so I am not sure if this is the culprit, since this is a "natural" no-lye relaxer. Is anyone else experiencing dryness with this product? I even bought the Intense Nutrition Shampoo and conditioner by Phytospecific and still dry hair! At this point I don't know if I should switch back to a lye relaxer, but I would like one that leaves the thickness in my hair like Phyto does. I just need help right now.....
deborah11 said:
I used this relaxer when it first came out and I too had extreme breakage and dryness. i guess i fell into that minority for which this relaxer did not work. I used it for about 18 months b4 realizing what the problem was. I too, initailly loved the relaxer b/c my hair had lots of body and was not bone straight. it defineitely damaged my hair over time and it turned a wierd brownish, ugly color. Also historically, my hair never did well with no-lye relaxers and phyto falls in this category. Eventually, I had to get my hair cut off (short) and start all over. Please be careful as maybe this relaxer is not for u. few things work for everybody. good luck!

landakaye said:
I did it for the first time last night cuz I heard good stuff. I have fine thin damaged hair and my hair was hard afterwards. I had to deep condition it. Even using soft-n-beautiful my hair was never that hard and it is way more harsh. Use it if you want but I wont use it again

nomadpixi said:
I tried it and didn't like it. For a no lye relaxer it is one of the best, but I'll never do the no lye thing again. My hair just responds to lye better.

If this doesn’t help answer your questions, you can always go to: www.phytospecific.com

Last edited:

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
:lachen: phyto is probably wondering why there has been such an increase in sales. someone needs to contact them and see if they can provide an lhcf discount:lachen:

candibaby

well i'm not a phyto user but this is a great thread you've put together kaddy! thanks for spending your time on it, i'm sure a lot of ladies will find this helpful. :)

dreemssold

:clap: Great job, KAddy! Very DSD-esque of you, young lady :grin: ! Maybe this can be a sticky, too? My mailperson must be cruisin for a bruisin because mine still isn't here! I'm headed to the salon as soon as it gets here, too...I can't wait anymore! Anyway, great post :up:.

MomofThreeBoys

All I can say is WOW! Thanks so much Kaddy. I've been telling people about PHYTO as well and now I can just point them in one direction! Hats off to you and DSD. :D

crml_buttafly

does anyone know if this is what oprah uses?

a couple of months ago on "oprah after the show" she had andre on talking about her hair and she made reference to something called "phyto.." he kind of hushed her and went to another subject i have been searching forever for "vito......" thinking it was with a "v" . could this be the miracle product that has her hair looking so good?

KAddy

crml buttafly,

I know that Oprah does use various PhytoSpecific products, but I am not 100% sure if she also uses the PhytoRelaxer. I know that when I did a search to compile this thread, I noticed that someone posted saying that Oprah uses the relaxer. I have not seen anything stating this so that's why I won't say for sure if she does. Here is a link: http://www.phytospecific.com/PhytoSpecific_EssenceOprah.html

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
Oh boy! Just what I needed! ;) A complete PhytoSpecific 101 Class. KAddy, you are too NOSY for your own good..... :p I really didn't need to know all that y'all..... :ohwell: This is one of the reasons I give my dh so that I don't have to go to the salon...the price! Funny thing is, I've never had a problem with lye or no lye relaxers.....Big Daddy's wallet has started it's engine!! **Wallet! You get back here!** :lol:

Seriously, thanks KAddy for the informative thread, I've been too busy to do this investigation, it only takes a true Pusha to get the job done! :sekret:

azul11

Omg I dont know what to do. I trust the ladies on this site but I have always had an issue with doing chemical procedures on myself. I am always nervous I will screw up and the whole not seeing behind my head and all the technical steps neccessary to do a sufficient job has lead me to go to a salon. Now if I knew a stylist used this line I would be more inclined to use it. But to pay 60 bucks to get it and then pay someone to do it...it would be way more than I am willing to pay for a touchup. I liked what Ms Kenesha has said about the hair feeling heavy which is something that a lot of the relaxers dont provide the heaviness and the body that I am looking. This is why I am so torn....Does anyone know if any stylist use this line?? I am not adverse to using no-lyes my hair actually prefers them. God bless you all.

UmSumayyah

the 800 number should be able to tell you of the stylists in your area that use phyto. Just check the website provided earlier in the thread, or kaddy probably has the number in the thread.

A_Christian

I've been contemplating trying the Phyto. Thanks so much for posting this Kaddy! Lol @ "Phyto pusha" :laugh: It's great that you've found a product line that works very well for you.

Aerie17

Thanks KAddy,

I am intrigued! Scared to try this, but intrigued. I will be watching down the road to see if everyone still loves this product. I'm not sure about going to a no-lye product.

MonaLisa

{{{{{KAddddddddddddddyyyyyy}}}}}

I am so ridiculously in LOVE with this thread...you are a Phyto GODDESS!!!!
THIS WAS A FANTABULOUS IDEA!!!!!!!

***APPLAUSE, THUNDEROUS APPLAUSE****

I expect the number of inquiring Phyto threads (praying the inflammatory Phyto threads have stopped now:look: ) to die down to a trickle to none at all now...cause you've just about covered it all that an potential Phyto user would want to know if they take the time to truly review it.

I hope they make this a sticky!

Again, thanks for doing this KAddy..u r a sweetie!!!:)

Last edited: