Spinoff: Why did you decide to relax?

Glib Gurl

So, why did you decide to relax your hair?

Me? I've been relaxed since I was about 12 years old . . . and it's just what I'm used to . . . plus I like the versatility of having relaxed hair. (I'm experimenting with stretching and wash-n-go looks :yep:) I would like to go natural to free myself of the "creamy crack" addiction, but I am afraid of the big chop and usually I can't go more than a few weeks of stretching before I decide that I can't take it anymore :whyme:

Wh about you?

Americka

My hair was natural and pressed bi-weekly until I was 12. From 12 to 16, I had a Jheri/California curl. For about 3 or 4 months, I had a Wave Nouveau, but my hair broke off badly. My hair was then pressed for about 6 months, and then I relaxed it. I've been relaxed for about 20 years. I might go natural when I turn 40, which will be in 2 years.

prospurr4

I relax (texlax) because I like to show the length of my hair, without spending hours to stretch it out with heat. Since I still have a lot of texture, I feel I have the best of both natural and relaxed hair.

I'm staying texlaxed for the same reasons. :yep:

Anacaona

I've been relaxed since I was in my early teens and just started my transition. It wasn't exactly my choice (it was my parents' choice). Even though it wasn't my choice, I was overjoyed at the idea of long, flowy relaxed hair like all of my friends and black classmates, it just seemed like a natural progression for all black girls at the time. Heck, I could even compete with someof the Latina/Asian girls in my class. That joy lasted about a year before it all went downhill. I kept relaxing throughout my teens because I still wanted straight, sleek hair and didn't know of any other mehods to get that looks. I found LHCF a couple of years ago and finally mustered up the courage to put down the creamy crack.

Last edited:

ebaby

I wanted straight hair all day not just for 2 hours. I would cry after dealing with my hair for 3 hours, then stepping outside and watch it grow into something else. I love afros but sometimes I just want silky straight hair.

arosieworld

Thanks 4 our nail *****!
I just texlaxed and I love it! I did it because I wanted a wash n go, I wanted freedom without the work. I love my curls and the versatility I have no. I love that the humidity doesn't shrink my fro or frizz my style. This morning my hair took less time to do than it did just to dry before. I am showing my length and I feel more like myself again. I even left the house with wet roots and looked great even my fro had to be completely dry.

MAMATO

I relax (texlax) because I like to show the length of my hair, without spending hours to stretch it out with heat. Since I still have a lot of texture, I feel I have the best of both natural and relaxed hair.

I'm staying texlaxed for the same reasons. :yep:

I am texlaxed and I think I have the best of both as well. My hair can be coily when I want and straight when I want and it is so easy to go from one to the other.

I relaxed my hair for the first time when I was 19, honestly as soon as I was far away from my father so he could not find out:lachen:. My parents were so against relaxers but I was the one dealing with SSK, hours of detangling or combing my thick hair daily:sad: I am very happy to be texlaxed:yep:.

Ever since I started my hhj I've be able to retain my growth so easily, it is ridiculous. I went from SL to an inch past WL in 2 years although I am 5'9". So I think my choice is the best for me. My hair had always been around SL in its natural state, go figure. Good care is all that matters whatever way you choose.

lovelexi

my moms stylist convinced her that i should get a relaxer. i was about 11 or 12 and she said i was the perfect age. my mom reluctantly agreed while i really didnt want one. however after i got it i was happy to have pretty, shiny hair. soon that would all change. but now that i know that i can have healthy relaxed hair i intend to stay relaxed. i like the straight hair without going through all the fuss.

chasturner84

I was about 14 and tired of dealing with the tangles and knots. I begged my mom to let me get a relaxer and after a few months, she gave in because she was tired of the fuss when pressing my hair. I loved it...until it started breaking off. I didn't know how to properly take care of it and my hair remained around SL for 10-12 years. Now, I know what my relaxed hair needs and I'm finally seeing growth and the health has returned. I'm sure that I'll be natural in the future, but for now I love my straight hair.

belldandy

I didn't have a choice I was young.
I started texlaxing because I am cheap and have been doing it for almost two years. I love how my hair looks this way.

Coffee

I decided to relax this last time because I'd worn my natural for about 4 years and wanted a change.....again.

Minty

okay, I'll bite.

I've experienced all formulations of my hair: kinky - straight, and I've had locs. Done it all but a jheri curl (thank you mom). But in the end - I like straight hair.

I LOVE Taraji Henson straight hair!!! and she's without a relaxer.

sylver2

I think i was 16 or 17. i was constantly teased for having nappy edges and a bushy ponytail. couldn't take it anymore:lol: I begged and begged. my mother was trying to keep me natural and we tried all types of techniques but it wasn't working. so she got a good stylist to relax my hair and cut it. been relaxed for 17 years now. I touchup twice a year. im fine.

Toy

I have been relaxed since i was a kid and I love straight hair that is why i stay relaxed.

Stormy

Well after going from about 1/2 an inch of hair to a nice full neck length (almost shoulder length) within a year and having to cut it all off and start all over again due to damage from SSKs and shedding I've decided to texlax when it grows back out this time.

I figured out a way to combat the SSKs by keeping my hair stretched and straight, but there were only a couple of stretched styles I could find that worked with my length and I found that in this Georgia heat my hair reverts with the quickness from pressing. I thought about "heat training or altering," but I'm going to try texlaxing. I think this will work better for me.

Bnster

I have been natural too many years ago to remember (sad hey), relaxed, jerry curl and now relax (under process - I get to see my natural in my NG - I love feeling the NG). I don't want to start over so I stay relax. I am curious about all the natural hairstyles and wonder the look on me. Who knows.

LHCF has taught me so much about taking care of my hair. I love it that I can wash and go, wash it frequently, enjoy watching it wet and see it air dry. No need to fuss, add my leave-ins and oils and I am good - except when I do my protein treatments I give it some more TLC.

Last edited:

SignatureBeauty

Good Thread, I have already been natural. and I recently Texturized and I like it because I don't have to use much product to maintain softness all day, I don't have to spritz every few hours, I like that my hair stays moistured all day, and with that moisture comes my growth, I like being natural too. but now I am happy with texturizing, I get the stretching of my curls and little shrinkage.

Sondice

For me I just perfer straight styles on me. About two years ago I transitioned to natural after severe relaxer damage from a stylist. I didn't know how to take care of my hair back them too which also made the damage and overprocessing worse. For me the hours spent detangling not ever being able to see my true length and reversion after straightening got to me as a natural. Jan of this year I went back to the salon and got a relaxer. I had been lurking on this site for about six months and knew that I could have long healthy relaxed hair. I'm much happier and my hair is thriving. I'm about two inches away from BSB. Relaxing for me wasn't about self hate or ne thing deep like that. It was as simple as I just want my hair straight peroid. Just like other races change their hair color and don't think so deeply about it I was the same way. Do what makes you happy and don't worry about what others think. Its your hair.

Gigi-07

Hmm, where do I begin?

painful combing, lots of tangles, single strand knots, multi-strand big humongous knots, major shrinkage, the 27 steps it takes to straighten my kinks, the 27 minutes it took for a stretch/blowdry/flatiron job to revert in Houston humidity, looking like a boy, not being fond of twists or other natural styles for myself and I don't have the time to be playing in my hair all the time, hair's too thick, took too much product, TOO MUCH TIME, split ends, not being able to wear a hat, too much trouble...not enough time or patience =

some things, even the most natural of things, are NOT for everybody. Natural hair was soooo not for me, not for my lifestyle, not for my precious time or energy. I just slapped that lye cream on, combed through and was satisfied. Now I can wash, bun, and go. no sweat.

no regrets here :cycle::cool:

imaccami

I was natural for most of my childhood and my first few years of college. I started relaxing because my sister started relaxing her hair and never had to deal with reversion on foggy days. So, I relaxed so that I wouldn't have to deal with reversion either.

I continue to relax because I like to exercise and wash my hair everyday, that wouldn't be possible for me as a natural because of the amount of time it takes to detangle and style.

I like that doing my hair is quick and easy and doesn't take hours or all day.

I like for my style to last all day.

Straightening doesn't take 2 or 3 hours and lasts as long as I want it to.

Headbands look awful on me and I have a huge fear of my hairline receding from pulling my hair back too tight. (I see a lot of receding hairlines on young black women, even on this site.)

teacherjess

My mom relaxed my hair at age 13 or 14 with an at home relaxer kit. My hair promptly broke off because I was young and had no CLUE how to properly care for relaxed hair. My hair the next 4-5 years remained at chewed up broke off neck length til I got braids senior year and wore those throughout freshman year in college. It grew my hair to a healthy SL...but promptly broke off again due to lack of care once I removed the braids. I also went thru a few periods of short Halle Berry cuts just so I wouldn't have to worry about the breakage. But this was a good look on me, and I was happy with shorter hair.

I like being relaxed because of the smoothness and versatility. I am really enjoying relaxed hair now that I know proper care techniques. I can't wait to see what lengths I can achieve as a relaxed head. My hair is already approaching the longest its ever been. I really don't wear my hair straight often even with a fresh relaxer because my hair is fine. I need some sort of texture, volume, and body so I set on rollers if I wear my hair down.

angelica_lisa

My mom had started pressing my hair( weekly) when I was 12, and we had both decided that it was time to get a relaxer shortly after my 15th b-day. My mom didn't want for me to get a relaxer too early because someone told her if girls had chemicals in their hair before they hit puberty, chances are the hair would break off (and looking at the children that I went to school with, it seemed to be true).

I have a relaxer now because I prefer sleeker styles, and I feel getting a relaxer every 3-4 months is easier than trying to flat iron natural hair every week. I don't want to spend hours doing my hair. Also, when I want textured hair, I have my wash and go styles, which does the job quite nicely.

I don't understand some people when they say certain activities sweat out their perm, etc. I welcomed relaxers because whenever the weather was humid or it rained my pressed hair would poof right up. Also, you can wash your hair and not have it go from one texture to another in an instant when it's relaxed.

Zawaj

I like straight hair that I don't need to use heat to achieve. I have been back and forth natural to relaxed. I'm sure I'll transition again at some point but right now I'm really enjoying my relaxed hair.

LittleLuxe

I was relaxed from a very young age but I always loved it, my mom took great care of my hair and it was in it's best condition when I was younger. I've never desired or thought about going natural and since finding this site I'm eagerly excited to start giving my hair all the attention it needs and watch it grow healthy, strong, and long.

sunnieb

Hmmm, I've been relaxed so long that it's really all I know. I don't hate my natural hair, I just absolutely LOVE being relaxed. Here are a few of my reasons:

*Unlimited versatility with NO heat! I love how if I wanted to, I could wear my hair down and straight on Sunday, a sleek neat bun on Monday, a bantu-knot out on Tuesday, a braid-out on Wednesday, a thick messy bun on Thursday, and so on and so forth with absolutely NO heat. Once I wash and air-dry, I just set my hair the night before for how I’m going to wear it the next day.

*No shrinkage! I get to see the length of my hair everyday!

*Since I wear a bun to work almost everyday, it takes me less than 2 minutes to do my hair every morning! (remove scarf, moisturize, put in bun with flexi 8 or good day hair pins – that’s it!)

*No damaging brushing required! I haven’t used my brush since January of 2009. I don’t need it. Matter of fact, I don’t even know where it is.

*My relaxed hair loves the rain! Don’t know why there’s the myth that relaxed ladies run from the rain. I think of it as a free moisturizing treatment. Now I’m not trying to stroll around in a downpour (who is?), but if my hair gets rained on, I just rub some NTM silk touch leave-in through out, slick back into a couple of bantu knots, put on my silk scarf for about 20 minutes, undo the knots, and I’m good to go!

*No single strand knots!

*Ponytails! Ponytails! Ponytails! – Now that I’m APL, I can actually make a good size ponytail that hangs down and swings when I walk!

*Newgrowth! I love seeing my newgrowth popping in against my straight previously relaxed hair. It means my hair is constantly growing and I can see exactly how much growth I get every month!

*Detangling is a breeze!

*HAIR SALONS!!!! Let’s see, Every few months I get to go to a place where someone else does my hair for a change, I don’t have to work, cook, clean, or answer DH/kiddos questions for a good hour and a half, and when I’m done my hair will be longer since I’m into stretching out my relaxers. I know I’m probably one of the lucky ones on this issue. My stylist is wonderful. She’s never kept me waiting over 10 minutes, she listens to me, she works hard to get me out quickly and doesn’t hassle me about getting a trim with every relaxer. It a very “relaxing” process!

Last edited:
My mom relaxed my hair for a while, she didn't want to deal with my hair, so she kept it relaxed, the sad thing is I grew up thinking that was my hair. I didn't know about my curls, but I also saw my cousins with beautiful long curls, and was so jealous, they wore their hair in curly ponytails, and that's how I wanted my hair, I hated long straight hair, but I continue to keep my hair relaxed, because that's all I knew. I went in the military did a TWA, and let my hair grow natural for 1 year, I didn't know much about natural hair, so I just relaxed again, and I've been relax since 2005, five years, before that I was probably relax for over ten years. Now I do my own relaxers and I know what my hair needs to stop breakage and retain length, I like it straight, but since I still have texture and thickness I like the waves I get from braidouts, so when my hair gets longer, braid outs it will be for now on.