Ladies who wash in braids

whitedaisez

Doesn't some of the goo get stuck in the braids? How do you handle this? Do u eventually unbraid and wash off your whole head as a final step or what?

BlackMasterPiece

:lol: @ "goo"....no nothing gets stuck in the braids I wash my hair in. I don't have to unbraid them at all during the washing process unless I need to detangle from a previous style. Which isn't very often since I keep my hair stretched at all times. If I'm washing my hair from being previously pressed... I braid it in 10 and keep those braids in from shampoo to DC. My hair never gets a chance to tangle and only take them down one by one once I'm ready to style....this makes the process of styling go by very smoothly.

If I'm coming from a natural kinky style like the mini twists I have in now....I braid my hair in 10 while tangled (dead hair and all) drench my hair with water, take one section unbraid saturate with slippy conditioner like NourishSpa or Aussie Moist and gently detangle from ends to root. I immediately rebraid (tightly) and repeat for my whole head. Detangling takes me about 15 minutes when I take my time. Once my whole head is back in 10 tight detangled braids I quickly rinse the excess conditioner out...generously add my DC, leave it on for the desired time, then proceed to style going only one section at a time.

I understand your concern about washing in braids for a long time I felt the same till I tried it and it totally worked. To make sure everything is rinsed out well you can squeeze your braids under running water....but I often don't even need to do that.

As soon as I started listening to my mothers advice about washing in sections my retention took off and SSKs and tangles became virtually non-existent for me. I'd say one of the biggest keys to my progress is religiously washing in sections.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Pooks

I keep my hair braided until I complete the shampoo. Then I undo 1 braid, rinse, apply conditioner, comb through with my WTC (wide toothed comb) and rebraid, then repeat for my whole head.

After I have left the DC on for however long I want to that day, I usually undo each braid to make sure all the condish mix is rinsed out and then rebraid or twist. I don't have all my hair loose and wet at the same time, this is a recipe for tangles and unnecessary breakage.

ETA:
When I have my hair in mini-plaits (no hair added) I can shampoo, cowash, DC and no there is no gunk or goo left over in my hair as long as I rinse thoroughly.

Last edited:

Creatividual

I wash and acv rinse my hair in 6 braided sections and no "goo" (lol) ever gets left behind in it. My hair gets just as clean as if it were washed loose minus all the excessive tangling. Washing in braids has saved me from tons of frustration and time.

Last edited:

Mook's hair

Do you mean washing in braided styles with extensions?
or
Just washing with the hair braided into sections?

When washing with the hair braided into sections?
I have had conditioner goo get stuck occasionally but never poo.

I always totally saturate my head & hair before applying any product.
with poo, I apply it to my hands generously and then massage it into my scalp. and let the run off cleanse the length of the hair. Then rinse.

With thick conditioners. I tend to just braid or twist it loosely. and unloose each one to rinse our and then re-twist tightly

If your talking about washing with extensions, I have different theories about that.

Honey Bee

I've been getting ssk's and tangles like crazy. Maybe I should try this.

I'd love to hear more opinions, ideas. Good thread, op!

discodumpling

Braids or twists no goo gets stuck in my hair. I have found that with health & length I can put my hair in larger & fewer braids or twists to make the process more efficient.

I think washing in sections is a MUST for our hair type especially as your hair gets longer.

For me it is essential to rinse thoroughly unless i'm purposely trying to leave some conditioner in:yep:

Nonie

I was wondering too if OP meant washing hair in braid extensions or just washing hair in big plaits.

When I wash my hair while in braid extensions, I apply shampoo undiluted to my scalp using my fingers and feeling through the braids to the scalp. I like gel shampoos as I feel they do not coat my scalp and I like a clean feeling. I massage the shampoo in to clean. Then I place my head under the rain of a shower head and as the shampoo starts running down my braids, I squeeze them to clean. I may move from under the shower to do a few more squeezes of my hair before the suds run off, and I do this letting the braids hang down not piling them on my head. I then apply conditioner but I skip the inch closest to my scalp. I do this because I believe this avoids gunk collecting at the base of the braid--which could lead to breakage during the undoing process--and I also believe the hair closest to my scalp is pretty healthy and gets nourished by my sebum (especially coz I baggy nightly) so doesn't need as much conditioning as the rest of my hair. I've seen this practice among people with really long hair, although they usually skip a larger section of their hair so I don't feel guilty or like I'm neglecting that hair. Skipping that inch also keeps conditioner as much as possible away from my scalp where it would cause itches if it weren't rinsed off properly. After letting the conditioner do its thang, I rinse off again under a shower head will squeezes. Finally I put water in a basin and add ACV and essential oils and dunk my head in it where I massage my scalp to remove any conditioner residue (I'm sure this is also good for my blood circulation to follicles) while I let my hair soak up the goodness of the ACV solution.

If we're talking about washing hair that's is free in braids. I wet it and apply shampoo while it is in braids, and squeeze a little to allow the shampoo to penetrate. Then I undo one plait and comb through using the slip from the shampoo and stretching my hair to open up the coils (vid below shows how).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCcoXph8tF4
Once I've combed through and removed any shed hair. I rebraid it and move to the next braid. Once I've done that to all. I then go under the shower head and first rinse with braids in and then undo one at time combing through letting the shower water stretch and make combing a breeze. I then braid each one back before undoing the next and doing the same thing. I always have just one braid undone at a time. Then I move away from the shower to apply conditioner. First I apply to the plaits and then I undo one and apply some more and comb through then braid it back. I do that to all then put on a cap and finish washing my body. Rinsing is done the same way I did the shampoo. Finally I dunk my head in ACV solution and undo one braid at a time combing it through underneath the water, then rebraiding.

I then towel dry the plaits (I do not undo) and let them airdry in the plaits that I washed them in. I then put it in twists or extension braids or if planning to wear it out, I apply S Curl till hair is slippery, one plait at a time and comb. I don't mind shrinkage from S Curl. If not going anywhere, I might rebraid and wear a plastic cap and head wrap to allow better S Curl penetration so I can enjoy my hair even better when I do wear it out.

Last edited:

dionne81l

This is the BEST!!! thing I could have ever started doing for my hair. I have a hard time dealing with ssn....and although I still get them this helps to minimize the problem some. When washing my own hair I don't think I will EVER wash it loose again. I haven't had any problems with goo being stuck in my hair.

I am going to the salon to get my hair flat ironed next week and a little neavous because I know they will be washing my hair loose.

Nonie

This is the BEST!!! thing I could have ever started doing for my hair. I have a hard time dealing with ssn....and although I still get them this helps to minimize the problem some. When washing my own hair I don't think I will EVER wash it loose again. I haven't had any problems with goo being stuck in my hair.

I am going to the salon to get my hair flat ironed next week and a little nervous because I know they will be washing my hair loose.

Can't you wash your hair before going? Or people don't do that anymore?

When I used to go to the salon, I'd take care of anything I was worried would not be done right at the salon in advance of going, including bringing a range of combs if I didn't trust that theirs would be clean.

taytay86

I don't get anything stuck in my braids - but why don't you try sponge shampooing your braids, versus putting everything directly on the hair?

CocoGlow

I have a similar routine to BlackMasterPiece, except I deep condition + detangle BEFORE I wash on dry stretched hair soaked in conditioner b/c it's harder for me to detangle on soaking wet hair. After detangling a section I put it into a braid.

I keep my 8-10 braids in throughout the ENTIRE process. I braid LOOSE at the root (for easy access to my scalp) and tighter down the length of my hair.

I also DILUTE my cleanser (either shampoo or conditioner) making it easier to apply to my scalp & easier to rinse out as well.

I make sure to rinse very well and SQUEEZE my braids to get rid of any excess 'goo" LOL!!

I have tried to wash in twists or elastic bands, but I found braids to be the BEST option b/c they stretch the hair out the most & do not unravel. I've also tried unraveling & re-braiding every time I rinse out the cleanser & conditioner and not only was this EXTREMELY time consuming, I found it unnecessary since my current method works just as well! Since I detangle BEFORE I proceed to braid & wash, I have no need to unbraid until I am all done and ready to moisturize & air-dry in braids (taught from root to tip to stretch my hair)

Washing in braids has truly been a LIFESAVER for me!! My texture is very prone to tangles and knots and although my hair is very dense, my actual strands are fine and very fragile so anything that I do to lessen the stress on my hair is a plus in my book. It has also allowed me to reach my scalp LOL! My hair is so dense that washing all my hair at once makes it very hard to thoroughly clean my scalp - the sections allow easier access. So all in all, this method is the best and I'll NEVER , ever, ever wash my hair loose again! :nono:

Hope this helps :yep:

Bublin

Im transitioning. How do i wash in braids when the ends keep unravelling? I use little elastics but is there another option?

Miss AJ

I braid the braids loosely but not so loose that they will come unraveled and messy while I'm washing. I secure the ends with rubber bands and I pretty much will keep doing that until my hair gets longer, at that point I can braid loose but then braid with a firmer grip at the ends so they will stay braided.

Nonie

Im transitioning. How do i wash in braids when the ends keep unravelling? I use little elastics but is there another option?

Robin of the C&G Technique is relaxed and she used to have a video of washing hair in a few big braids. I don't remember her putting anything at the end of her braids, but can't find the vid anymore. I don't see any mention of bands in the directions for relaxed hair at the bottom of this page: http://www.growafrohairlong.com/shampooingnatural.html. Because you have to undo to comb through (I don't know if she does this), I think the rubber bands might cause tangles and breakage especially if you are working with wet hair. I really think it can work without them if you wash the way I do.

Bublin

Robin of the C&G Technique is relaxed and she used to have a video of washing hair in a few big braids. I don't remember her putting anything at the end of her braids, but can't find the vid anymore. I don't see any mention of bands in the directions for relaxed hair at the bottom of this page: http://www.growafrohairlong.com/shampooingnatural.html. Because you have to undo to comb through (I don't know if she does this), I think the rubber bands might cause tangles and breakage especially if you are working with wet hair. I really think it can work without them if you wash the way I do.

Thanks Nonie. My braids just unravel no matter i gently i wash. I wonder if it because i have thin hair? Of maybe i'm not putting in enough braids - i do only do four.....yes..i think that is the problem.......i'll try six or seven and see how that goes because i really don't like using rubber bands at the ends.

Lucky's Mom

I have been washing my hair in braids for almost 10 years now. I do not un twist/Braid at all.......Sometimes I may let one loose - but it is braided right back up......

I also use a tint bottle for Shampoos and Rinsing. Nothing left in braids.

CocoGlow

I have been washing my hair in braids for almost 10 years now. I do not un twist/Braid at all.......Sometimes I may let one loose - but it is braided right back up......

I also use a tint bottle for Shampoos and Rinsing. Nothing left in braids.

I forgot to mention I use those applicator bottles w/ the pointy tip too when I dilute my cleanser (shampoo or conditioner) :yep:

Lucky's Mom

I just use Rollers on the ends. I have natural hair - but I use the green rollers in the shower. The ends are secured and no un raveling.....
:drunk: