Air-Drying Technique w/Great Results! Pics Included

SouthernGirl

I'm so excited! :clap: I've found a way to fine-tune my air-drying technique, with great results, using only 2 bantu knots!

I used no heat or product to create this look (only Surge on my scalp and a tiny bit of WGO on my hair) after washing as normal and letting it air-dry completely.

For those of you that are on a no-heat or Surge challenge, but want the option of wearing your hair down occasionally with little effort, check out the link below:

http://public.fotki.com/SouthernGirlz/2005_hair_journey/air_dried_bantu_results/

Happy 2005!
SG

Last edited:

candibaby

I'm lovin it! :)
BTW I tried the other way you do these the other day and it came out great! How do you come up with this stuff?

dreemssold

That looks really good, SG :up:! I see I will be lifting yet another technique of yours :D . Just so that I've got this straight, the hair was airdried first, then you made the bantu knots? TIA :)!

mrslee

Love yourself first!
SouthernGirl said:
I'm so excited! :clap: I've found a way to fine-tune my air-drying technique, with great results, using only 2 bantu knots!

I used no heat or product to create this look (only Surge on my scalp and a tiny bit of WGO on my hair) after washing as normal and letting it air-dry completely.

For those of you that are on a no-heat or Surge challenge, but want the option of wearing your hair down occasionally with little effort, check out the link below:

http://public.fotki.com/SouthernGirlz/2005_hair_journey/air_dried_bantu_results/

Happy 2005!
SG

Hey SG,
I guess so many people are hitting your album site that I cant see it! LOL!
Did you use M/T conditioner as a leave in or just went with the Surge and WGO this time?

I am sure it is lovely as always! Cant wait to see!

SouthernGirl

candibaby said:
I'm lovin it! :)
BTW I tried the other way you do these the other day and it came out great! How do you come up with this stuff?

Thanks Candybaby :kiss:

I just love coming up with new hair ideas. I don't know how, but I do. Just glad it works for you! Also, I'm glad the other method worked out for you :up:

SG

SouthernGirl

Thanks Bree, Divine, Dreemssold, Simplycee, PrettyBrownEyes :kiss:

I really appeciate that! I must say, I didn't really "invent" anything, because I know many on the site use bantu knots to set their hair :)

The only thing I did differently, is that I waited until my hair was completely dry to do it. The other thing that was cool was that I didn't use anything on my hair (other than Surge and a tiny bit of WGO). This is just an alternative to the previous air-drying method I mentioned a couple weeks ago where I just apply the satin scarf to "straighten" my hair after air-drying.

Thanks,
SG

bluejay47

Nice work SG, thanks for the idea! I've actually gotten good results using just one knot. Did you twist the two knots in opposite directions?

Peachtree

Ur hair turned out very pretty. Very pretty soft/loose waves. I'm a HUGE fan of airdrying...relaxed & natural :cool:

SouthernGirl

Thanks Bluejay and Peachtree :kiss:

Peachtree, I love the picture in your signature!!

Bluejay, I actually experimented with one knot, but I decided to use two so that I would have more wave. I think I'll try using one tonight. Thanks!!

SG

Last edited:

Nova

SG:

Thanks for the hair tip. Your hair is beautiful!

I showed my daughter your pics. Her hair is approx. 3"-4" shorter than yours; she wears a weave because she feels she will never achieve full, thick hair from roots-to-ends (according to her; her hair thins towards the ends). Actually her hair is super-thick.

If I could only get her to check out this website she could achieve the waist-length hair she longs for.

Isis

Thanks for yet another great hair tip Southerngirl! I love your creative mind! Your hair pics look so beautiful!

good2uuuu

Beautiful hair! Now if I ever decide to relax again, which I won't, but if I did, I would most definately be trying to emulate you SG. Anyway, I think I'll try this method the next time I straighten my hair. I think it will work well.

SouthernGirl

Thanks Ladies!!

Honeylemondrop, Keylargo, Nova, Poohbear, Dontspeakdefeat, Allandra, Isis, Good2uuu, and AudraChanell, that was so very nice of all of you to comment on the pictures :drunk:

Nova: That's so nice that you are getting your daughter familiar with the site! How old is she? Her hair sounds beautiful. Tell her not to give up on her hair! There are plenty if waist-length members on the forum that she can emulate!

Allandra: Unfortunately, I have zero texture in my hair. I relax it bone straight (not that I do it on purpose), which is why it gets so straight from simply air-drying. I so wish I had more texture! I even tried processing for a shorter time but the relaxer I use just makes it very straight. I thought about switching to a milder brand, but I'm afraid to switch since it's all I've used.

Isis: That's so sweet! I'm glad i give you ideas to try :) You've given me lots of ideas as well! :)

Good2uuu: That's a HUGE compliment, but please don't switch to a relaxer. I have to admit that I seriously consider going natural quite often because I miss the natural texture of my hair. I just know that I'd want to wear it straight sometimes and pressing is one technique I was never able to master. I can't tell you how many times I burned my hair (and ears) :(

SG

tryn2growmyhair

SouthernGirl said:
Thanks Ladies!!

Honeylemondrop, Keylargo, Nova, Poohbear, Dontspeakdefeat, Allandra, Isis, Good2uuu, and AudraChanell, that was so very nice of all of you to comment on the pictures :drunk:

Nova: That's so nice that you are getting your daughter familiar with the site! How old is she? Her hair sounds beautiful. Tell her not to give up on her hair! There are plenty if waist-length members on the forum that she can emulate!

Allandra: Unfortunately, I have zero texture in my hair. I relax it bone straight (not that I do it on purpose), which is why it gets so straight from simply air-drying. I so wish I had more texture! I even tried processing for a shorter time but the relaxer I use just makes it very straight. I thought about switching to a milder brand, but I'm afraid to switch since it's all I've used.

Isis: That's so sweet! I'm glad i give you ideas to try :) You've given me lots of ideas as well! :)

Good2uuu: That's a HUGE compliment, but please don't switch to a relaxer. I have to admit that I seriously consider going natural quite often because I miss the natural texture of my hair. I just know that I'd want to wear it straight sometimes and pressing is one technique I was never able to master. I can't tell you how many times I burned my hair (and ears) :(

SG

SG, thanks for all the tips. Question, what relaxer do you use, and how often do you relax?

Also, can you please tell us what you did from begining to end? Did you use a pin to secure the knots? Did you sleep in a scarf or a bonnet? Thanks in advance for the information. Your hairs looks beautiful -- as if you had rollerset and blowdried it a la The Dominican Method.

SouthernGirl

Thanks Tryintogrowmyhair, MsJennifer, and Bocagirl :)

Tryintogrowmyhair: Here's what I did, step by step:

1) Washed hair as normal
2) Let Air-Dry completely, just down (no ponytails or anything)
3) Once it was dry, I made a part down the center (from ear-to-ear)
4) Starting with the top, I applied 1 small drop of WGO to the hair, then twisted it into the knot you see (not paying attn to the direction I twisted)
5) I did the same with the back section of hair
6) I tied a satin scarf on it so my head was completely covered. I sleep on my side generally so they didn't get smashed
7) In the AM, I took the scarf off and just finger-combed!

I think what made it light and bouncey is that I didn't put a lot of stuff on it like I normally do. Still no breakage b/c I used the MNT stuff. Next time I'll try it with the "stuff"- scalp oils.

SG

SouthernGirl

ms_jennifer said:
Wow SG!!! It looks great! I will have to try this with my next wash!:)

Hi Ms Jennifer,

I looked at your album because I like your Avatar!! I noticed you trimmed it blunt- did you do it yourself? Looks great :)

SG