Daily rinsing

I am noticing those that rinse or co-wash their hair daily seems to have better growth. I wonder if that is what was holding black women back from achieving long lengths? Most other races shampoo daily and never have the problems we do with retaing length. Do you all think water may be the key to longer lengths?:ohwell:

Triniwegian

Maybe...it doesn't work for everybody though.
I co-wash almost daily and that is the best way for me to keep my hair from drying out.

I think the reason why women of other races have long hair (which is a gross generalization) is because their hair is straighter and the oils from their scalp reach farther down the shaft to protect the hair, whereas "ours" is shaped like spiral which does not allow the oils secreted from the scalp to reach very far down the shaft. So therefore "our" hair is drier.

Water doesn't make your hair grow but it makes it easier for some to keep the hair moisturized and less prone to breakage...thus retaining more length.

In general though, other races have longer hair than blacks on average. I wasn't trying to generalze just making an observation. I know growing up, we only got our hair shampooed twica a month but all my friends shampooed their hair daily. I am wondering if that is a key component to faster growth.

Diva_Esq

I definitely think my high moisture level now that I am natural and cowashing daily contributes to my growth and retention.

ETA: My skin has been much softer and less dry lately too. May be a combo of the conditioners moisturizing my skin as they run off and the vits I am now on. Plus, I have increased water intake and use of water daily on my hair.

Solitude

Although co-washing is beneficial and popular around here, you can keep your scalp pretty clean by simply putting less product in your hair and on your scalp. I like to use shampoo with every wash, or else my scalp doesn't feel clean at all.

For some, the manipulation of daily washing/co-washing can be counter-productive. There are ladies here who only wash 1-2 times a week (like me), and some that go as long as 2 weeks-1 month.

As far as the differences between other races, I think it's our improper use of relaxers & other chems; naturally drier, coarser, kinkier texture; and (slightly) slower growth rate that makes the difference. Using heat and not properly protecting/moisturizing our ends affects retention. For many years, our hair care practices were modeled after the mainstream and we are finally learning what works for textured hair.

With all that said..... last summer I spent a lot of time co-washing and bunning and my hair loved it.

GaiasDaughter24

I think it keeps the hair moisturized which, in turn, retains length. I know my hair has always done best with daily co-washing or rinsing. When I was relaxed and (unknowingly) stretching my relaxers, I'd co-wash (because it made my new growth more manageable) or just rinse (being lazy LOL) and throw it up in a phony pony. I never used a leave-in but my ends were always wet by the end of the day due to being up in a bun.I guess I was wet bunning too. These were the times that I retained all of my length.

As a natural I co-wash everyday now. By the next day my hair is dry again so I do it again.

Last edited:

yodie

I'm still protecting/hiding my hair underneath a wig. Guess now is the best time to see if my hair benefits from cowashing/rinsing. I'll rinse lightly with condish at least three times a week, until July.

MonPetite

A clean scalp DOES make a difference (though clean is relative).

In the case of other "races": Having a greater wealth of knowledge of one's particular hair type and products and an ENTIRE GLOBAL INDUSTRY devoted to your hair type, aids in growing hair to a longer length.

Add to this not putting as strong a chemical as sodium hydroxide makes a big difference. LHCF has proven that relaxed hair thrives with care and KNOWLEDGE. However, relaxing DOES ask a lot of our hair that leaving it natural does not.

That said, not having proper knowledge when it comes to natural hair can leave you at length-plateaus or with bone-dry coils, kinks, and curls.

Again, the world's major beauty industries have devoted themselves for DECADES to every texture other than afro-textured hair.

If there's any thing black women truly lack, that is preventing them from their "dream hair" it's information, plain and simple.

makeupgirl

My hair benefits from co-washing and since it's been hot and I've been working out more, I've been co-washing more and my hair loves it. I might do it daily come May or June.

grow

i've just started doing this regular cowashing thing for a few weeks and i can see more ng already!
i really do beleive it has to do with the water having daily contact with my hair.
great thread!

Taina

In general though, other races have longer hair than blacks on average. I wasn't trying to generalze just making an observation. I know growing up, we only got our hair shampooed twica a month but all my friends shampooed their hair daily. I am wondering if that is a key component to faster growth.
No wthat you mention that
My mom shampooed my hair every weekend i didnt have short hair as a kid (in my first relaxer i reach WL) anyway my two friends (also dominican african descendents as me) shampooed their hair every single day and they both had longer and ticker hair. I always think about it, is very interesting.

lovegymnasts

I don't think that daily rinsing or co-washing helps grow hair. I rinse my hair daily before spraying it with my water mixture and I know I get less than the average of a half an inch a month in growth.
For me wetting my hair daily keeps it moisturized and soft.
Oh, I'm also a co-washer.
I think other races have an easier task of retaining because their hair is not as prone to breakage.