Relaxing and preventing overlap

DigitalRain

To the self relaxers, are any of you actually able to ONLY the newgrowth without overlapping? I mean when you apply it is it strictly on the newgrowth and now where else? I find this extremely hard to do even with a lot of newgrowth.

Babygurl

Ive never given myself a relaxer and gotten ONLY the new growth, I wont say its IMPOSSIBLE but I think its VERY hard to do.

kitchen_tician

I self relax and no, I haven't been able to master the art of not overlapping some. I don't think most stylist have mastered this technique either. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

jasmin

Stylist overlap too. One got it on most of my hair. 2 touchups after him and I was done with stylist. Well at least for a good while.

kombov_dymond

I don't think there is a way to absolutely NOT get any relaxer on previously relaxed hair. I don't think it's that bad as long as you don't get it on alot of previously relaxed hair.

SouthernGirl

I think it's very difficult to avoid overlapping. I self-relax and try my best, but it's impossible for me not to. What helps is if I wait until I have more new growth than normal to relax, limit my processing time, and be very careful while smoothing.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
kombov_dymond said:
I don't think there is a way to absolutely NOT get any relaxer on previously relaxed hair. I don't think it's that bad as long as you don't get it on alot of previously relaxed hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I think that's the main point most ladies make on this forum when they talk about relaxing the new growth only...just make sure it's not your ENTIRE hair shaft; that's how I've interpreted it! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

KAddy

I am almost successful at this, but like you ladies said, it is very difficult. However, to help minimize the "damage" that may be cause by overlapping, I apply some type of oil to my hair that is previously relaxed. I also use a brush thingy to apply the relaxer. I cannot think of what it is called, but you know what I am talking about. This thing:

Connie

You all are really good if you self-relax. Attempting to self-relax is what landed me at a salon nearly 20 years ago, and I'm afraid to try it again, even though I have a better idea of what's involved.

Queenie

In Lisa Akbari's (a tricologist, sp?) book she says to spray everything but the new growth w/"hair vitamins" (leave-in conditioner). It causes the hair to process slower. So if you overlap, it is not as damaging. She is a former hair sylist and has her hair texturized.

AudraChanell

There is no way to prevent overlap at 100%. This is why I prefer thick consistency relaxers---helps reduce the "melt/run" factor. Just be sure you start out with enough new growth, protect your previously relaxed hair, and use about a 1/4" or less of relaxer on the applicator brush at a time. You will be juuust fine /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sareca

I'm planning to put porosity control or another low PH conditioner on my previously relaxed hair. So when the relaxer inevitably comes in contact with the relaxed hair it can't raise the PH high enough to do damage.

Cayenne0622

I have always self-relaxed for the most part and I always get stuck with either taking my time and not overlapping or getting the relaxer on and off as quick as possible and overlapping. I either don't overlap and leave it on for too long (which is damaging) or I get it on and off in the right time frame and do some serious overlapping. The only reason I'm not bald is because I have always slathered on a lot of conditioner or something thick on all of my hair except the new growth. That's best I can do. I'm going to part my hair down the middle and relax one side at a time when I do my next relaxer so I can take my time and not overlap but be able to rinse it out quickly too.

Lovelylocs

I dont self-relax, but I dont think it's that bad to get some relaxer on the part right above the newgrowth. Stylists do it all the time and it hasn't ruined the health of my hair. :nono:

aprilj

It's been difficult for me not to overlap, especially in the crown area. I think what's saved me is that I can't live without Leave In condish. I would like to go to the shop and have it done BUT I've seen people complain about their scalp burning and the stylist was still smoothing the hair. I'd rather be pee'd at myself for my own hair lost. One day I'll get up enough courage to have it done at the shop.

MizaniMami

anatomicallycorrect said:
I was thinking about applying the relaxer w/a toothbrush to see if that might help w/overlapping next time.:look:

I NEVER thought of that and that sounds like a good idea.:eyebrows2:scratchch

nychaelasymone

I started coating my relaxed hair w/ base (the same base I apply to my edges and scalp) and then I spray w/ oilsheen. This has greatly reduced the relaxer processing my already relaxed hair. I thought it would be difficult to wash out but base is much lighter than vaseline and it rinses out very well. Just my opinion...hths

divya

anatomicallycorrect said:
I was thinking about applying the relaxer w/a toothbrush to see if that might help w/overlapping next time.:look:

My mother just did mine with a toothbrush and i dont think there is any overlap. If so, it is minimal. In fact, my hair is less texturized...

sereia

I think the next time I will base my relaxed hair with neutralizing conditioner or even neut. poo.

firecracker

I have never tried the toothbrush method but I bet it would work great if you only have a small amount of new growth. I think it would take longer to apply.

I find it easier to touch up my ng with limited overlapping when I have color in my hair. Its easy to see the old hair color lines. I'm texturized which only requires 3 touchups a year.