"Get Your Hands Outta Your Hair" Challenge for 2010!

*Muffin*

Welcome to the "GYHOYH" challenge for 2010! This is a simple low-manipulation challenge that was created for individuals who would like to stop over-manipulating their hair and focus on length retention, but do not want to commit to a hard-core protective styling challenge. The rules are as follows:

RULES: The Challenge is one year in duration. It will extend from January 1st, 2010-December 31st, 2010.
  • You May Use Direct heat a maximum of once per month.
  • Indirect Heat is acceptable for regular use: Ex. Heating caps, Hood dryers, Steam rollers, etc...
  • No Daily Co-washing: Co-wash every other day at most.
  • You are not confined to Protective Styles: Any styles that don't require direct heat or excessive manipulation is acceptable for regular use.
  • Be mindful of how you treat your hair: Do not excessively groom, pull, or otherwise apply strain to your strands.
POSTING:

MONTHLY QUESTIONNAIRE:
  1. First of all, How have you and your hair been this month?
  2. How has the challenge been going for you? What has been the hardest part of the challenge?
  3. Have you changed anything in your reggie or did you try something new?
  4. Did you use direct heat at all this month? If so, what was the occasion (if you don't mind sharing)?
  5. Anything else you would like to add or share (feelings, plans, etc...)?

Challenge Participants:
*Muffin*
blacksapphire
ParagonTresses
Caychica
txcurly10
RockCreak
pringle
Chaosbutterfly
kittykhat
LadyLeoSmile
MrsAriannaAmbers
CurlyNue
Shadiyah
caramelkisses1107
washize
Shana'
ppg0069
coconut
AnitaTheLengths
BamaBeauty1985
Shay72
mtmorg
angeleyez09
crvlnghair
angiet1985
Kerryann
halee_J
lizzyb168
kandigyrl
PinkyD
Bliss806
Minnie
nappytherapy
bayougirl318
LadyPikliz
mtmorg
indiangirl313
glamchick84
skiggle
Ms Rae
adnolej
Ms_CoCo37
CherieMarie
mswright00
Muse
lalaland88
Theo

Last edited:
I would love to join :grin: I've been taking care of my hair and have been pleasantly surprised of how soft and managable it has become that I can't seen to leave it alone:blush:

this would be the perfect challenge plus low-mani can help me retain length:grin:

*Muffin*

I would love to join :grin: I've been taking care of my hair and have been pleasantly surprised of how soft and managable it has become that I can't seen to leave it alone:blush:

this would be the perfect challenge plus low-mani can help me retain length:grin:

Welcome! And thanks for joining :yep:.

ParagonTresses

I'd like to join!!!! I'm new to the site (been lurking for a month) and this is my first post. This will also be my first hair challenge ever so I'm very excited about it. Thanks for the invite Muffin!

Lotsa Tangles

*Muffin*

I'd like to join!!!! I'm new to the site (been lurking for a month) and this is my first post. This will also be my first hair challenge ever so I'm very excited about it. Thanks for the invite Muffin!

Lotsa Tangles

Welcome to the board and the challenge, paragonrn :).

destine2grow

I would like to join. I also signed up for the braid challenge. I haven't used heat in 3 wks before I got my braids. I think I should be okay.

*Muffin*

LOL...I'm getting excited already. Since there's such a long way to go until January, I guess in the meantime we can introduce ourselves with this introductory survey:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  1. Current-Length:
    [*]Goal-Length:
    [*]Current-Hair Stats/Issues:
    [*]What's the Best Thing About your Hair:
    [*]What hair goal do you want to accomplish by the end of 2010?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Current-Length: APL
    [*]Goal-Length: TBL
    [*]Current hair Stats/Issues: I wash and comb my hair excessively (like, everyday), which is why I'm challenging myself to go a week between washing and combing. So far it's been a week, and I'm proud of myself. One thing I'm trying to accomplish is finding the perfect method of moisturizing my hair.
    [*]What's the best Thing About your Hair: It's manageable, it's normally quite soft and silky feeling, It's shiny.
    [*]What hair goal do you want to accomplish by the end of 2010?: Only relax my hair twice for the whole year, reach BSL/MBL :lick:.

Last edited:

ParagonTresses

About Paragon RN

Current-Length:
About 2 1/2 inches stretched

Goal-Length:
BSL unstreched natural hair

Current-Hair Stats/Issues:
I did a spontaneous BC in Sept '09 after about 3months post relaxer. My current style of course is a wash and go. I'm a product junkie and addicted to all things hair. I've got my reggie down fairly well but I'm still working on the products that work best for my hair. I really want to get into protective styling so this challenge is right on time.

What's the Best Thing About your Hair:
It is so easy to manage and it's so soft. I didn't know what to expect with my hair relaxer free and am pleasantly surprised.

What hair goal do you want to accomplish by the end of 2010?
My goal is healthy, moisturized kinky hair with enough length to do a variety of styles with. Shoulder length would be great!​

Last edited:

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I'd like to join....I need this challenge so bad. In fact, I was just sitting here playing in my newgrowth. I've been doing it all day...it makes my scalp sore because I'm tenderheaded, but for some reason, my hand just wanders up there of its own accord. . :nono:

Current-Length: Full Shoulder Length

Goal-Length: Waist Length! :spinning:

Current-Hair Stats/Issues: Relaxed, 11 weeks post, 4a, fine and sparse strands. Right now, I'm just trying to thicken up my hair with castor oil and long stretches. It's also a bit of a struggle to keep my hair moist. I've used so many moisturizers, but I never get the results I'm looking for.

Um...It's soft but strong.

I'd like to be full and thick BSL by then. I'd also like to have a full arsenal of staples. I have staple oils, conditioners, and shampoos. I need a staple leave-in and moisturizer of course. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

txcurly10

1. Current-Length: Neck length when straightened
  2. Goal-Length: I'd like to be APL by the end of 2010
  3. Current-Hair Stats/Issues: Right now I am transitioning, and my only issue is just finding ways to wear it. Mostly I wear bantu knot outs or a phony pony. I get my hair flat ironed at the salon once a month.
  4. What's the Best Thing About your Hair: It's very soft and manageable.
  5. What hair goal do you want to accomplish by the end of 2010? Have enough length so I am comfortable doing a BC.

LadyLeoSmile

Current-Length:
Neck length when straightened

Goal-Length:
APL

Still learning my hair and what works for it. I want to learn to sufficiently moisturize and have long healthy hair

It's no longer permed! It seems to be easily coifed.

Have the length I want, as well as a set routine to keep my hair healthy and strong.

CurlyNue

This is just what I need. I've been transitioning for seven months with plans to remove all relaxed hair November 2010. This challenge will be perfect for getting me to the 9 inches of new growth that I'd like before I cut my hair.

CurlyNue

This is what happens when you are doing too much and can't figure out how to delete a message.

Last edited:

Shadiyah

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Current-Length: Back is just past shoulders and sides at bottom of my ear

Goal-Length: MBL

Current-Hair Stats/Issues: really learning what my hair love

What's the Best Thing About your Hair: it's soft

What hair goal do you want to accomplish by the end of 2010? to at least be APL

caramelkisses1107

Please add me too
Current-Length:Just above my bottom bra strap and layered

Goal-Length:Mid Waist

Current-Hair Stats/Issues: Natural 3c/4a I have some breakage due to heat and previous color

What's the Best Thing About your Hair:My hair is very thick and resilient

What hair goal do you want to accomplish by the end of 2010? Healthy, even mid back /waist length hair

Last edited:

MrsAriannaAmbers

:weird:
Current-Length:Since my hair originally is cut in a style I am working with 2 different lengths. mainly nape/ear length.
Goal-Length:MBL
Current-Hair Stats/Issues:Making my hair doesn't encounter breakage.
What's the Best Thing About your Hair:We are not getting along right now...so since I can't say something nice...I won't say nothing....:nono:
What hair goal do you want to accomplish by the end of 2010? APL

washize

:grin: I'm in!! I really need to stop combing my hair :ohwell:

Can't wait till this time next year! :drunk:

Current-Length: BSL
Goal-Length: Hip length
Current-Hair Stats/Issues:Bleached hair breaking off, tangles
What's the Best Thing About your Hair: It is very easy to manage, and it is shiny
What hair goal do you want to accomplish by the end of 2010? Waist length

Last edited:

Shana'

I would like to join this challenge.

Current-Length: Between APL and BSL

Goal-Length:MBL

Current-Hair Stats/Issues: Relaxed, 15 weeks post. I'm still trying to find the perfect reggie but I'm enjoying the process. I'm also fighting a little breakage.

What's the Best Thing About your Hair: My natural hair color.....its a beautiful reddish brown.

What hair goal do you want to accomplish by the end of 2010? I have several: to fix my dry, underprocessed ends, to maintain protein/moisture balance and increase natural shine. Also I want to improve my styling skills........I suck.

PPGbubbles

I want to join! I am in a hard core PS challenge for the beginning of the year, I sure when its over I am going to want to put my hands all in my hair with the added length so I want to maintain a low mani lifestyle after the challenges are over.

Embyra

add me please :yep:

1. Current-Length:17 inches (will know for sure with my jan relaxer)
2. Goal-Length:waist length
3. Current-Hair Stats/Issues:need to add a little protein
4. What's the Best Thing About your Hair:soft and silky
5. What hair goal do you want to accomplish by the end of 2010? to reach 23-24 inches

Last edited:

AnitaTheLengths

Count Me In! This will be my 1st official hair challenge!

1. Current-Length: APL
  2. Goal-Length: Full MBL
  3. Current-Hair Stats/Issues: 7 weeks post tex-lax / thin and fine hair strands
  4. What's the Best Thing About your Hair: It has gotten so much healthier! And due to the health of my hair, I feel for the first time that my goal is truly achieveable.
  5. What hair goal do you want to accomplish by the end of 2010? By the end of 2010 I want my hair to be MBL and I want to have an arsenal of no heat/low manipulation styles to keep my hair healthy.

RockCreak

Current-Length:
APL -

Goal-Length:
BSL - curly....MBL stretched

Currently transitioning.... 5mo post. approx 2+ inches natural and the rest relaxed.... trimming slowly as it grow. My issue, maintaining the two textures.....:look:

Fairly easy to manage when natural or relaxed (I've been both).

At least be shoulder length or longer with all natural healthy hair.