Getting strange looks & resistance because I use "white products"

Do you use "white products" & are you met with doubt by others?

• Yes, some of my fave staples are "white products!"

Votes: 124 48.4%
  • No, I only use stuff "made for black people" or in the "black section."

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • Yes, I use white products and people think it's weird.

Votes: 60 23.4%
  • Yes, I use white products but nobody second-guesses it.

Votes: 131 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Diva_Esq

Anyone else share their regimen with non-board members when asked & get strange looks when you reveal that you use some "non-black products?" I use some Keracare, Mizani and Motions (products traditionally carried in Black salons, used by Black stylists, sold in Black BSSs & found in the itty, bitty ethnic section of your friendly neighborhood stores).

But some of my FAVE STAPLES are "white products": Garnier Fructis, Yes to Carrots, Curly products, Pantene (non-relaxed & natural), etc.

Has anyone else been met with strange looks and questions about those products not being "for us?"

Almaz

No never got that but know people who have. None of the products I use are so called white products. I dont' get it how does hair know most of the ingredients are the same.

ChocalateDiva

I get that all the time. I used Nexxus and Biolage to name a few. Black folks say "If you keep using those "white" products, all your pretty hair is gonna fall out!"

I just grin and think to myself........"Some of those "white" products are the reason I have "pretty hair". :look:

They just dont really know any better, its what they have been told and talt.

Mizz Diamonds

My older sister is always bothering me about my so called "white products" but she still uses them, and the so called "black products" too saying how other races of people can't use them which is funny coz back in high school the only people I remeber using Dark and lovely hair gel were Asian girls

JMH1908

Yes, I get that from some people who ask me what do I use on my hair and when I tell them Suave, V05, Herbal Essence, Joico, etc they look at me like I'm crazy...and if you look at the ingredients most of them have more Biotin, aloe, extracts and etc..and actually some of our popular african American products like shampoos and conditioners don't...I wonder why?

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
Yep...When I fill my basket up with 10 bottles of V05 I get many strange looks. Also when I roam the aisles at Ulta picking up random stuff to try.

sqzbly1908

All the time...for as long as I can remember and yet...those same folks are constantly asking me what I use on my hair...

Last edited:

MonPetite

Quite often from Blacks, Caucasians and Asians (I'm speaking of women only).

Interestingly...Latinas in my experiences have not cared.

Black women are the only ones who express disgust towards me over it or feel the need to "check" me in their body language or comments.

Most Caucasian women just seem surprised and quickly look away when they realize I'm staring at them...staring at me.

I have gotten the "Oh, you poor thing, this won't work for you" look from Caucasian women at Trade Secret and the "Deer In The Headlights Why Is She Asking Me How It May Work For HER Hair?!" look.

These points of view are further revealed by statements from their wearers, such as:

"Oh? It didn't work for YOUR (emphasis on YOUR) hair type."

and

"This WORKS for YOU?"

Both amusing.

Last edited:

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
Ever since I been on LHCF I do everything in regards to my hair in an unorthodox fashion in your typical black family. I wear a scarf around my baggie bun everyday, I co-wash/wash my hair every three days, I buy vegetables butters for my hair, I use little to no heat, my hair is wet or damp 90% of the time, I don't trim my ends, and my BIG HOLY GRAIL, I use those white people products. When I do wear my hair out, people are so amazed how healthy and long my relaxed/texlaxed hair is.

When I first was on my regime my friends and family was rejecting my hair advice, but then they see my hair now and say WOW!

ladylibra_30

I don't get strange looks for buying "white hair care products" that I am aware of - I'm in my own little world/zone when I'm buying products, makeup, etc. However, I get panicked, confused, and flustered looks when I walk into "white salons" and request to see/speak to their top/master stylist. One lady at the front desk of Aveda actually stuttered! LOL! I want a white stylist to trim 1/2 inch all over off of my bob...my search continues.

PPGbubbles

My mother swears that I need to stop using White ppl products. IE my trader joe conditioners, Suave coconut condish, and Tressume. I just say whatev because I know my hair is growing better and healthier than it ever did when I used all "black products"

beans4reezy

I've gotten the what do you use on your hair question too. But when I go into Hairveda products- eyes glaze over. They don't even know the product, yet alone if its a "black" or "white" product.

LynnieB

Got one yesterday when my daughter and I were in Walmart looking for a ceramic round brush.

The lady was standing behind me with her dd and I was facing my daughter. My daughter said chickie took one look at my nappity, kinky/curly, braidout puffball and --->:eek::giggle::nono: behind my back as we were discussing which brush would be the best choice for blowouts.

Nix 'em and keep it moving. :lachen:

Kerryann

i do get those strange looks but who cares but sometimes people will ask so how well does that product work

Ms Kain

Anyone else share their regimen with non-board members when asked & get strange looks when you reveal that you use some "non-black products?" I use some Keracare, Mizani and Motions (products traditionally carried in Black salons, used by Black stylists, sold in Black BSSs & found in the itty, bitty ethnic section of your friendly neighborhood stores).

But some of my FAVE STAPLES are "white products": Garnier Fructis, Yes to Carrots, Curly products, Pantene (non-relaxed & natural), etc.

Has anyone else been met with strange looks and questions about those products not being "for us?"

I don’t get that as much from black folks as I do from white people but considering where I live *rolling my eyes* it’s really no surprise.

Basically I use their confused look to educate them about our hair. For instance, many of them still think there’s something unsanitary about not washing your hair everyday until I explain that all hair needs a certain amount of balanced moisture and since their hair typically makes too much oil, that’s why they have to wash it every day or every 2 days while many of us don’t make enough and can get away with skipping more than 2 days.

So by the time I finish explaining that and that our commonalities are that both white and black people still need to wash and condition their hair and that it’s just a matter of what the product does and not based upon skin color, they are all like,”Ohhhhhhhhhhhh”.

This worked so well at my job that now we have a product swap going on!!!! I actually have white girls walking up to me with their conditioner saying things like,”Ok Jaine, I tried this and it moisturizes my hair way too much so this should work for you.” and it usually does. That’s how I found out about Suave Humectant. Or they might say,”I use Pantene and that may not work on your hair” and then I tell them that I use it for clarifying and the next thing you know, they’re getting me a bottle when they see it on sale. Meanwhile, I return the favor when I find something that completely dries my hair out and sometimes that works for them as well.

I guess whenever people trip like that, the best thing is to use it to your advantage any way that you can! :yep:

CurlyMoo

I have had people criticize my products but not call them "white." My haircare regimen has been called "white." I was told only white people can wash their hair that often and that we as black people have low oil content and should only wash once every two-four weeks. I was told to change my regimen.

Tamrin

unapologetic
Even if they look or comment I could careless. The only things I have that come from the black section are CON and I have a huge supply will not be buying anytime soon. I have switched to stuff you can hardly get at a local BSS.

BostonMaria

Hmmm I wonder if it depends on where you live

When I go to the Whole Foods near my house I see many black women in the "white products" aisle. The woman that stocks the hair products aisle (for you Mass ladies, its the one on route 16 in Medford) is the nicest woman I've ever talked to at WF. She recommends products to me, gives me samples, will talk to me about hair stuff until my daughter pulls my arms and tells me I'm obsessed LOLOLOL She's white btw When I go to Sally's I hardly ever find anything to buy that I actually like. I just bought some Megasilk conditioner and my hair threw up LOL My hair rejected it.

By the way, I don't know if anybody is laughing when I'm at Whole Foods or in a "white" product aisle at ULTA... when I'm in the hair products aisle I'm like a fat kid at a candy store LOL Happy as hell

Last edited:

Diva_Esq

Thanks for your answers! I don't change my regimen or think anything's wrong with ME for it, I was just wondering if anyone else had the same issues!

kasey

Yep...When I fill my basket up with 10 bottles of V05 I get many strange looks. Also when I roam the aisles at Ulta picking up random stuff to try.

To the untrained hair product shopper, VO5 is so relegated to a "generic" brand. I'll bet folks look at your basketful of VO5's and think, 'there must be gold in those bottles,' while they head to the shampoo condish aisle.

Daughter

UK Blak
Funnily enough, apart from Dax, my mother always used "white" shampoos when I was a kid - Vosene, Flex... it wasn't until I started doing my own hair I went to the black hair product shops, I'd but what either my hairdresser used on my hair or what I'd see in black hair magazines. Even now, she'll use whatever shampoo she feels like. Someone gave her some Herbal Essence once and I (in my ignorance back then) told her that it would be no good.

The only "white" product I use at the moment is Boots conditioner for dry and damaged hair, for my conditioner washes. It costs the princely sum of 58p :)

Almaz

Does Indian and Middle Eastern products this is what I use and I don't think those products are considered white. It is usually the ones with no hair at all itis telling me how I should do my hair. If it works for you fine. Again it is always the people that have NO hair trying to tell someone with hair how to do theirs.

No thanks this is why I have hair because I don't do what you do. This is what I had to tell someone after they did a weave check on me several years back.

lalaland88

my family and most friends all use a variety of products, as long as they make the hair "feel nice"!

Actually, my favourite right now which was recommended to me by my cousin,
is the Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Line (It was pantene relaxed and natural but here in bermuda the price of this is gettinng way out of hand) and if I'm pressed for money VO5 it is! :)

phynestone

In my experience, the same people who gave me grief on my hair care practices and products were the main ones who wanted to use my stuff, like a former roommate. My "unconventional" practices and products are the reason my hair is the way it is now.

poookie

i get looks of fear from white people in this area when i invade "their" aisle. one saw me reading the label for aussie moist & scoffed. i then let down my bun to showcase how much healthier my hair was compared to her frizzy bleached blonde hotmess. i won :giggle:

BostonMaria

Does Indian and Middle Eastern products this is what I use and I don't think those products are considered white. It is usually the ones with no hair at all itis telling me how I should do my hair. If it works for you fine. Again it is always the people that have NO hair trying to tell someone with hair how to do theirs.

No thanks this is why I have hair because I don't do what you do. This is what I had to tell someone after they did a weave check on me several years back.

Oh when I go to the Indian grocery store that's when I get the weird looks :spinning:
Its either because they're wondering why a black woman is using henna, amla, vatika oil, etc...
OR
Its because I grab a shopping cart and take ALL of their amla, henna, vatika oil, etc LOL

One guy looked at my 6 boxes of Amla Powder and said, oh you want all that? I said hell yeah :grin:

Soliel185

Oh when I go to the Indian grocery store that's when I get the weird looks :spinning:
Its either because they're wondering why a black woman is using henna, amla, vatika oil, etc...
OR
Its because I grab a shopping cart and take ALL of their amla, henna, vatika oil, etc LOL

One guy looked at my 6 boxes of Amla Powder and said, oh you want all that? I said hell yeah :grin:

I went into an Indian grocery about a week ago to get more Vatika Oil, Rosewater, Jasmine Oil and I grabbed some Tulsi powder for the heck of it. I could see the guy checking me stuff out look at the lady on the box with the long straight hair and then back up to my fro like :blush:

I know my hair doesn't look like the lady on the box - just put it in the bag, Mr! :lachen: