Freetress + Crochet Braids = HELP/SUGGESTIONS/ADVICE PLS!

BlackDiamond21

I recently realized I have been at the same hair length for 2+ years, for various reasons and all disappointing :nono:. I have not passed the BSL stage and I want to, badly :yep:.

I would like to stay in a protective crochet style from late Oct thru Apr in hopes of giving my hair a chance to go beyond the BSL and to stretch my relaxers. Right now I have stretched up to 10 weeks – thanks WGO :grin:!

It has been over 12+ years since I have worn my hair in crochet braids. When I did, like all my braid styles since my teens and early 20’s, I wore then intermediately for 4 weeks at a time to get me through an occasion, a vacation or just being lazy period. I have not kept any style of braids in with consistency or back to back since I was a child. That was back when my mom or g-mom pulled out a jar of Blue Magic :ohwell:, French braided my hair (all natural), add beads to the end and someone’s old stocking as cap on my head while I slept. My hair was washed every Sat b4 church or every two weeks depending on how well my hair held up. Thinking about it now reminds me that my hair length at that time was the same it is now but not relaxed… food for thought :blush:.

So ladies, I need help on how to maintain my FreeTress Loose Deep 24” synthetic hair and my own cornrowed hair. Here is a list of what I bought in anticipation of doing my braids and here is a list of what I already use on my relaxed hair:

Products Purchased for Crochet Braid Style: ORGANIC ROOT STIMULATOR ANTI-ITCH SCALP OIL, BONFI NATURAL OIL FREE WIG SHINE SPRAY, OGANIC ROOT STIMULATOR SHEA BUTTER HAIR LOTION, paddle brush and ORGANIC ROOT STIMULATOR NATURE'S SHINE SPRAY.

Products Currently Using for my wash n set and wrap regiment: Mane n Tail Deep Moisturizing Shampoo, Salerm Protein Shampoo & Conditioner, LEAVE-INSalerm 21 B5 Silk, Moisturizer Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk and Africa's Best Org. Carrot Tea Tree Oil.

Here are my questions:

? – When I used to crochet my hair back in the day, my hair was CL. Now that my hair is about BSL how do I ‘tie up’ the ends of my cornrowed braids so my hair doesn’t show when I want to put the synthetic hair up in a ponytail? I am not good at individual braids, so please suggest an alternative.

? – Do you think it is a good idea to do one large French braid in my hair when I go swimming (I'll in the ocean, I don’t do pools)? I was thinking this would help keep the hair from tangling and help maintain its waves. I really don’t want to rock a swim cap - lol :spinning:!!!

? – What and how often do I need to do certain things to maintain a healthy scalp and hair while my hair is in the cornrows? Such as washing, conditioning and moisturizing my hair and scalp.

? – Do you think it is a good braid regiment to leave my hair in for X (undetermined amount) of weeks, take out on a Friday night, get a wash n set on Sat and put back into cornrows by Sunday? Too little time for hair to breath? Does anyone do back to back, similar to this?

? – Anyone who used this type of FreeTress hair, can you tell me how you maintained it for longevity? What was the longest you were able to keep it in?

? – Are you supposed to blow dry FreeTress hair or let it air dry?

Ok that is it for now. Thank you so much ladies!!! :yawn:

BD21

P.S. I am so glad to see that a fav 90’s style of mine has made major hair advances and is coming back around :spinning:!

texasqt

I'll bump for ya' being that I just took out my Freetress Crochet braids. I think I put some pics in my fotki or at least I meant to.

The first set with Deep Twist Bulk I kept in for 4 weeks and was able to wash and condition it weekly. The second set GoGo Curl I was scared to wash because I knew it would get tangled. I kept it in only for 2 1/2 weeks and I let my hair rest in between the two for 1 week only because I didn't have time to braid it back up sooner. Otherwise I would have done it back-to-back.
I mostly used a braid spray. I did purchase a wig spray for tangles but didn't use it much. I also don't normally put anything directly on my scalp. When washing, I braid the Freetress in several plaits, spray diluted shampoo in a spray bottle on my scalp, massage into scalp, and rinse out. I opted to use a leave in conditioner instead of deep conditioning to avoid build up while in braids but I make sure I do DC when I take my cornrows out before installing again.

Here are my questions:

? – When I used to crochet my hair back in the day, my hair was CL. Now that my hair is about BSL how do I ‘tie up’ the ends of my cornrowed braids so my hair doesn’t show when I want to put the synthetic hair up in a ponytail? I am not good at individual braids, so please suggest an alternative.
As far as braiding the ends of your cornrows, I make a horizontal braid at the base of my hair with the loose ends and I crochet hair on that braid as well.

? – Do you think it is a good idea to do one large French braid in my hair when I go swimming (I'll in the ocean, I don’t do pools)? I was thinking this would help keep the hair from tangling and help maintain its waves. I really don’t want to rock a swim cap - lol :spinning:!!!
Yes.

? – What and how often do I need to do certain things to maintain a healthy scalp and hair while my hair is in the cornrows? Such as washing, conditioning and moisturizing my hair and scalp.
Wash weekly. Use braid spray/moisturizer twice daily. Definitely DC in between sets.

? – Do you think it is a good braid regiment to leave my hair in for X (undetermined amount) of weeks, take out on a Friday night, get a wash n set on Sat and put back into cornrows by Sunday? Too little time for hair to breath? Does anyone do back to back, similar to this?
I think with cornrows it may be different or at least for my hair it was. If I had braided back-to-back, I don't think there would have been a problem.

? – Anyone who used this type of FreeTress hair, can you tell me how you maintained it for longevity? What was the longest you were able to keep it in?
See above. It depends on the hair. The staighter, the longer it'll last. The curlier, the shortest time you will be able to keep it in because of tangles.

? – Are you supposed to blow dry FreeTress hair or let it air dry?
Hood dryer if you don't want to airdry. Blow drying - I don't like blow dryers much so...:perplexed

Definitely look at the youtube videos if you haven't done so already!

And here's one with the loose deep that you'll be using. I like!

Last edited:

BlackDiamond21

Thank you ladies for replying. I hope to hear some more stories out there! :)

Couple more ?'s -

? - Does the hair require you to do the ACV treatment to it? If so, how much ACV and hot water do you use and how long are you supposed to soak?

? - Is the purpose of an ACV treament to help stop the itchies?

? - Should I prewash & condition the hair before applying it? I have never used this type of hair before and now with all this information out there I cannot tell what steps are right for this type of hair.

? - Does anyone know what type of synthetic hair this is? Toya or Kane? I looked on the co's website and it just says synthetic. I know that 'synthetic' is a type too I'm just not sure if it falls under the T or K type as well.

The last time I had synethic hair, can't remember the brand b/c it was like 5 years or so ago, I remember saying to my bf at the time that it was irritating the crap out of me and making me itch all on my neck and stuff. I think I broke out in a rash :nono:...

Thanks!

BD21

texasqt

? - Does the hair require you to do the ACV treatment to it? If so, how much ACV and hot water do you use and how long are you supposed to soak?
I didn't with my first set. The second set I did only to make the hair easier to separate.

? - Is the purpose of an ACV treament to help stop the itchies?
I have heard this before.[/quote]

? - Should I prewash & condition the hair before applying it? I have never used this type of hair before and now with all this information out there I cannot tell what steps are right for this type of hair.
The soak and rinse if you decide to should be enough. Pay attention to how much ACV you use and the smell it may leave behind. If it's loud you may want to wash.

? - Does anyone know what type of synthetic hair this is? Toya or Kane? I looked on the co's website and it just says synthetic. I know that 'synthetic' is a type too I'm just not sure if it falls under the T or K type as well.
I think it is a mix of both

scarcity21

I have , i used the deep twist for microbraids for over a year until my hair grew and I didnt like the style anymore. I am thinking about crotcheting though with the waterwave like the gals on youtube

msa

I've never done this before, but this thread has me interested :yep:. If I do the style I'll come back and report.

islanchile

Bumping......and I need help please!

I just attempted crochet braids with Freetress Loose Deep. Fail!

The hair simply wouldn't stay in. The knot would almost immediately come loose. I used Mystakin777's knotting technique but no sooner than I'd make the knot, it would loosen and just become a big loop. My head looked a mess.

I would really love to adopt crochet braids as my go-to and long term protective style.

Can any of you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

sheba1

The hair simply wouldn't stay in. The knot would almost immediately come loose. I used Mystakin777's knotting technique but no sooner than I'd make the knot, it would loosen and just become a big loop. My head looked a mess.

I would really love to adopt crochet braids as my go-to and long term protective style.

Thanks

Try taking only part of the hair through the loop and making the knot with hair that falls on both the inside and the outside. That should secure it.

I'll try to find an example on youtube. brb

BlackDiamond21

Thanks

That same ish happened to me! I was so PISSED! I should have updated this and said how it didn't work and kept slipping. I worked on it for at least two hours for nothing... :( Maybe having a professional do it would be better. I just couldn't figure out a knot to keep it in. :nono:

texasqt

That same ish happened to me! I was so PISSED! I should have updated this and said how it didn't work and kept slipping. I worked on it for at least two hours for nothing... :( Maybe having a professional do it would be better. I just couldn't figure out a knot to keep it in. :nono:

My suggestion would be to use smaller sections of hair to avoid the big loop. I've used loose deep before and I didn't have any unraveling. There's a pic in my fotki under summer braids but you have to log in/be a member.