Confessions of a Nappyhead

Afrobuttafly

I love my nappy head..it's so full and thick my scalp looks undercover. :sekret:There's a different feeling now than when I was relaxed. I feel unrestricted and free.:reddancer: Wash N Go's are my best friend. I've never had a closer connection with my conditioner. :love4:My waves make me seasick. My curls are like little slinkies, springy and bendy and such. I feel like Samson, my hair is tied to my strength.:strong: I love pulling my spirals and watching them snap back into place. A headband is a lifesaver. I just laugh when people ask "Is that a jheri curl?" :nono: Or "How do you get your hair like that?". :) But even in all this Nappy bliss it does have its' downsides. Sometimes my comb and I do not get along.:brucelee: I am haunted by the curse of shrinkage. I have to beware of knots and tangles even more now. They like to sneak up on me. Sometimes I look at relaxed heads and I miss the slipage and the swangability.:rocker: (copyright 2009:grin:) But I'm never tempted to cross back over to the other side. I've got too much versatility to lose. I imagine the day when my curls will cascade down my back like a glorious lion's mane. I foresee buns, chignons, twists, big bushy puffs and rollersets. I can't wait for my super fro to come.:afro: Until then I'll just chill with my TWA. I wanna live Nappily ever after.

These are the confessions of a Nappy Head.

*NeNe*

Ladies...what are your confessions?

Last edited:

MonPetite

I really, really like my texture. I can't wait until I have more hair. Straight hair really wasn't the best look for me. Conditioner is no longer my friend...conditioner is my lover. I've never felt so lovely and so self-conscious simultaneously in my life.

Afrobuttafly

I really, really like my texture. I can't wait until I have more hair. Straight hair really wasn't the best look for me. Conditioner is no longer my friend...conditioner is my lover. I've never felt so lovely and so self-conscious simultaneously in my life.

Excellent. I concur!! Oh the complexities of natural hair...
Thanks for the response. :yep:

miss Congeniality

Some days I love my hair. I love the way she feels, yeah its a she and her name is Kashmir-Kash for short. I love how she reminds me of my grandma and my son. I love how she reminds me that I am an individual and born unique.

Some days, I hate that it shrinks so much. I hate that I don't have the length that I want. I sometimes look at other people's hair and wish that mine was like theirs. But at the end of the day, God gave me Kash.

Then, I feel like Kash rules everything around me.

song_of_serenity

While I can't wait till it grows out, I LOVE my hair, the texture, the way it coils, kinks and curls...I also love the inquisitive looks I get, not from other races(which is a given) but from other black women...some of us never get a chance to embrace our natural hair's beauty!

redecouvert

Lol at conditioner being your lover!
I also feel so beautiful!
When you are told all your life that you have the worst hair...then there comes a time you embrace, see that there is nothing wrong with that, that it is going to amaze you...is just. PRICELESS!
that's what actually my screename means..redecouverte means rediscovery in french
rediscovery of my hair texture
hair needs
being my own stylist
being my hair's best friend and also accepting myself
I am dangerously in love with my fro..that's why after 3 attemps of locking, I just had to stop trying because after a month, I miss my fro

MamiWata

Dang near all of my life it seems, I've been dreaming of this ideal me with long flowing hair, but for the first time, approximately 7-8 months ago, my fairytale/fantasy hair transformed into a BAA. Now, there is absolutely nothing I want more. :afro:

Nonie

OP, I identify with majority of your sentiments, except for the following:
  • I love shrinkage. I really do. When I wear a puff and it shrinks, it keeps the oils and stuff from being on me, and I love that.
  • I also don't suffer knots coz I don't wear my hair out much, and prior to wearing it out, I keep it braided so it's usually stretched and kept from shrinking and wrapping around itself.
  • I finger comb most of the time, since I wear braids or twists most of the time, so again I don't spend enough time with combs for any hate to develop. When I do use a comb, my hair is usually well-moisturized after a night of baggying with S Curl and since I never go to bed without braiding it, it's also nicely stretched, making the comb glide almost as easily as it does when I'm conditioning.

The only time I get irritable with my hair is when I have to cornrow. I find trying to get perfectly straight lines while looking in the mirror tedious, as is cornrowing itself, since I have to keep my arms up in the air for each entire cornrow. :wallbash: Thankfully, that's only one out of the many ways that I can wear my hair so I don't sweat it.

I love my hair so much and treasure it so much that I won't let anyone else do it for me. I admire the skills of so many people but I'd have to be really drunk or high to let anyone try their hand at my hair. Well, maybe my childhood hair stylist can get a pass coz she cornrowed so well and didn't pull at all--but I'd have to watch her do someone else's hair first to see if her standards of handling nappy hair are still as good as I remember, ie judging from my current point of view and newly acquired experience, thanks to LHCF.

Vonnieluvs08

I have a love/love/like/hate relationship with my hair.

I love that its my hair, that its unique to only me, and is unaltered therefore inherently perfect. I love how versatile it is from curly, to straight, to lil 'fro then bigger 'fro. I like all the styles that come with having natural hair, even if I haven't mastered many if any of them. I can rock it curlie, twisted, braided, and their counter parts of the twist/braid outs. I can bantu knot it up & out, bun it, puff it, pony tail it, u name and my hair can do it.

I hate (really strongly dislike) it because 1. its short- I've always had long (SL-nearly BSL) hair and I don't feel all that feminine at times 2. it seems to carry some social stigma that I'm bohemian or social outcast or something like that; when I all want to be is true to myself and embrace who I am 3. its growing but not fast enough 4. If I wore it straight or went back to relaxers (not going to happen) I would be accepted again.

Overall I am happy with my decision to chop it all off and embrace myself. It's growing and I'm loving it. Other ppl just need to learn to love her and me as well.

jennboo

Great Thread!!!

There's nothing like the satisfaction of knowing that what grows from your scalp is all you, thick, voluminous, and beautiful. There is nothing like being truly comfortable with an unaltered and real you. I feel so free with my natural hair and i look a whole heap better with it too. I feel like i can treat it like HAIR and not like a science experiment.

I also feel so much more feminine with natural hair. I can just throw water on it in the morning, spritz an oil, plump up, and go. I am in love with my hair and could absolutely kick myself for not staying natural sooner. I've already given my mother the 3rd degree on why she thought it was necessary to chemicalize my head at 11 years old, lol. I love that when i touch my hair, its soft and lush and big, not lifeless like my straight hair was.

mscocoface

I love the thickness and now watching it make changes when I go from one length to the other. That has been the most exciting of late.

It is really wonderful to see how it unfolds before me because we are still learning about one another, the longer it gets and maintain its healthiness it is like a new relationship, which I guess if I think about it, it truly is.

I am sad it has taken this long to get to know something on my body that has been there since birth. I am looking forward to the future and what it holds for both of us.

Okay now ya'll know the time I have had with the big "S" I would love to say things have changed for the better but it seems like the longer it grows the more shrinkage I get, this little issue is still a character builder for me. As you can see from my siggy.

Not sure if or when I will ever embrace it permanently, well maybe when my hair in its shrunken state is BSL.....yeah that will be the day.:ohwell:

Alas, continuing on this incredible journey no matter what! :yep:

bludaydreamr

OP thanks for sharing. I like straight hair a lot, but I can't stand the thought of not being able to touch my texture and feel my coils. I don't always care for the shrinkage, but it's the reason I can go from a 3 inch afro, to a BAA, to a flowing blowout.

Melissa-jane

While I can't wait till it grows out, I LOVE my hair, the texture, the way it coils, kinks and curls...I also love the inquisitive looks I get, not from other races(which is a given) but from other black women...some of us never get a chance to embrace our natural hair's beauty!

Oh wow this is the first time I have seen a natural hair twin, sigh :drunk: I am so happy.

Melissa-jane

I love my hair, I love feeling as it curl around my fingers as i cowash it in the morning. I slather it in henna powders and clay....because I want the very best for it. I love being natural and wish other women would go natural too because its so beautiful to just be; Nothing else but you.

Melissa-jane

I have a love/love/like/hate relationship with my hair.

I love that its my hair, that its unique to only me, and is unaltered therefore inherently perfect. I love how versatile it is from curly, to straight, to lil 'fro then bigger 'fro. I like all the styles that come with having natural hair, even if I haven't mastered many if any of them. I can rock it curlie, twisted, braided, and their counter parts of the twist/braid outs. I can bantu knot it up & out, bun it, puff it, pony tail it, u name and my hair can do it.

I hate (really strongly dislike) it because 1. its short- I've always had long (SL-nearly BSL) hair and I don't feel all that feminine at times 2. it seems to carry some social stigma that I'm bohemian or social outcast or something like that; when I all want to be is true to myself and embrace who I am 3. its growing but not fast enough 4. If I wore it straight or went back to relaxers (not going to happen) I would be accepted again.

Overall I am happy with my decision to chop it all off and embrace myself. It's growing and I'm loving it. Other ppl just need to learn to love her and me as well.

Its true I had long natural hair until I was sixteen, thats what I want back....not a twa, sorry.

BlkOnyx488

I love love love my natural napps. my hair has never been this healthy in my life
I too will live "Nappily Ever After"
thanks OP

Afrobuttafly

I confess that sometimes I get lazy with my fro...I don't always show her the attention she deserves..and yet she always forgives me. She may get out of line, but with a little coaxing she returns to her natural beauty. I admire her outright defiance of gravity and her strength. I am on a mission to keep her healthy and happy. With time I learn more of her likes and dislikes. It is my duty to care for her because no one else can love her the way that I do. She scoffs at negative remarks of those that are too blinded by societal norms and myths to see her true glory. She is fabulous...she is fierce..she is my fro.

Southernbella.

I love the versatility. I can wear my hair however I want, and at the end of the day, all it takes is water to get it back to it's afro glory. :lol:

I truly love my hair.

CheLala13

I really don't mind shrinkage because it's not THAT long anyway, it's about SL stretched. I'm actually terrified that I'm not retaining and I won't be able to tell for like 6 months. I also never feel sexy. I always feel cute...I was carded for a rated R movie...which hasn't happened since I was like 16.

But with all that, I really love my hair. It really does fit me. I like how everyone else comments on how much they like it. I love at the end of the day how squish-y it feels...like a stress ball. I do love it. I can't wait til it grows out.

ebaby

my hair, my glory
same head , different story
my curls, my length
my thickness, my strength

I've been talked about by loved ones
called out of my name
but once I bc'd I was never the same

divorced from my relaxer
freed from my master
my hair is lovely, wild, and free
not hugging my scalp like plaster