After 3 Years - My Favorite Flat iron is....

Lucky's Mom

Hey Girls!!!

Super natural here - Checking in - as it is highly likely that I will flat irion for the holiday and Most of you may as well!!! I have thought about this for a while - and thought I would share....

Sheesh.
I have them - and have tried them all.....:rolleyes: And that should be a crime - but.... I don't buy conditioners :lachen:I buy other stuff...

I will give my 'top ten' list from bad to Fabulous: Hope this helps someone!

• Maxiglide MP ( bought Sept 2008 max temp 430 degrees) ugh. The coating came off after one use. :ohwell: The idea of Hot Aluminum on my hair does not excite me.... I called the company to exchange it and they were willing... - but - it will probably go in the trash - or I will use it on Fake/wig/ syntheic hair. Thumbs Down..Mass production gave it a Cheapo quality - I would guess...That is just my thought. There are many reviews about the MP losing heat - coating and the like. I would not be surprized if we saw this iron for 20 bucks at Big Lots in a couple of years.
MG MP - 0 out of 10 stars....:down:
  • Solia one inch ( pink ) ( bought Aug 2007 - max temp -450 degrees) - not very impressed..... Only ok.... I think it got too hot - and seemed spotty in its performance....I have not used it since November 2007. My hair reverted almost INSTANTLY on my birthday. But - I don't know if I should blame on "Soli":lachen:
Solia - :down: 5 out of 10 stars:whyme:Why, Why did I buy this iron??? I wanted 450 degrees... and I don't need anything that hot....:rolleyes:
  • MaxiGlide XP ( original - bought dec 2006 maximum temp 430 degrees) - Still love the steam feature..... :yep: Although the coating has come off the pins - it did not come off the iron as much as the newer one. Works fine.:creaturesWon't ever use detangling pins again though.... not good.... Flat plates are fine.
MG XP of 2006 - :drunk: 8 out of 10 stars. I Cannot recommend any 'new' Maxiglide..
  • Sedu 1 1/4 inch ( bought in Oct 2006)..... Gets TOO hot on the sides..... I do like the large, smooth plates though........ I don't like the fact that I have to use and OVE glove to flat iron hair....:perplexed Overall - it still gives great results - and only gets to 410 degrees
Sedu - 9 out of 10 Stars!:yep:

OK...........DRUMROLL PLEASE:woot:..................The Best iron EVER?????????:think:
  • FHI Runway :yep::yep:( Bought Jan 2009) - OMG:droolings. Soulie ( Thanks Soulie :kiss:)told me that if I wanted relaxer straight hair - to get this. and I did.... AND I HAVE....Smooth goregeous hair.... Works and glides like a dream. This iron is the BMW of Flat irons....Heat is Maintained..... No hotspots.. and it is hard to explain - but it isthe best iron I have EVER used. That is is for me brother....( I would would not use this on anyone but me and my mom ) It is worth every dime. Period. When it dies - I will buy another.

Just a loving reminder - Technique is part of the process...... Good tools are awesome - but so is your good way of getting your "swang" on :yep::yep:

A mini tip: place rubbing alcohol in a 2 oz bottle..... Spray and Clean your iron after EACH 2 swipes.....throughout the ironing process...

As you were ladies! :doingdishes: Enjoy your summer!:drink:

Last edited:

Ronnieaj

GOD I WAS SO HOPING YOU WOULDN'T SAY THAT!!!!! I've been eyeballing this iron for a MINUTE, trying to convince myself NOT to purchase. And then you have to go and give it 10 stars! Well, there it goes. Might as well suck it up and get it poppin. Guess I gotta do it now, since I'm on a personal no buy starting Saturday.....:rolleyes:

ETA: I give up. I bought it. I'll let you know how it works in a month when I flat-iron. My boyfriend just shakes his head.

Last edited:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Great review Sam! You just saved me a lot of money because Solia AND Maxiglide MP were on my list! Now I'm craving a Runway even more :lick: Where'd you get yours from?

Angelicus

Thank you for posting. I actually spoke with the head of the R&D department of Farouk and he was polite and intelligent. Because of this, I use their appliances exclusively. I have never used the FHI Runway but if my CHI breaks, I will be sure to buy it based on your recommendation.

LuyshuZ

Don't you dare speak those words about the Maxiglide MP lol :lachen:. That must have been a major factory defect. I love my MP..

Lucky's Mom

Great review Sam! You just saved me a lot of money because Solia AND Maxiglide MP were on my list! Now I'm craving a Runway even more :lick: Where'd you get yours from?

Amazon.com.

It was not 450.00.... it was 271.00.....
However.... I wiould pay full price for this iron.

Lucky's Mom

but why does the best one have to be the most expensive one though?

Yep.... I know..But - I spent more money looking for the holy grail - and then bought the holy grail.

Maxi Glide - 79 bucks
First maxi - 100
Sedu - 125
Solia - 100
FHI - 271.....

So - there ya go....nearly 700 bucks.

shoulda bought the 450 to begin with.

Desarae

Man I want a runway so bad. I love the Sedu though.

I have an original Maxiglide that I brought from Ulta for $20.00 I haven't used it on me or anyone else yet though. It's kinda big and intimidating to me.

Adding runway to list.

lilsparkle825

I can't even get myself to buy a Pibbs, and I would use that more than the flat iron (I rollerset/DC at least 2-3x a month, I flat iron every other month) -- but I want it. It's so shiny and pretty and fancy. :love:

FindingMe

:wave:i feel you on the FHI runway. :love: i have a runway and a sedu. i use the sedu when i do other folks' hair. i only use the runway on me. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Eisani

I just recommended the FHI to one of our cousins. She had the Sedu and FHI on her list. I told her I was falling out of love with my Sedu and will be posting it on the exchange forum :look:. Even though I don't flat iron often, the Runway will be my next iron, hands down.

Whimsy

I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove my original maxiglide.
i am a maxiglide head fa sho.

thanks for the ratings!

Chameleonchick

I thought the runway would take the cake. I got the platform se for mothers day and it only takes two passes to get bone straight.

sunbubbles

what temp are my 4a /b's using? Thanks for this post OP!! I'll be right back............. I gotta go wipe the drool off my face from thinkin about FHI. :lachen:

lux10023

i got the maxiglide when it first came out--while it does a good job i only use it on fake hair not my real hair---

and after spending a ton of money on flat irons my $20 conair one inch--flatiron does the best job...lol

soulie

Hey SJ!!! I TOLD YOU SO! A couple of things I want to add:

1. When I use my Runway with Sabino, I only use about 390 degrees.
2. When I use my Runway without Sabino, I only use about 310-325 degrees.
3. Amazon changes the price on the Runway a lot. I have seen it as low as $260 and as high as $425. If you decide to get it from there and the price is too high, just check back every few days; it will drop again.

that_1_grrrl

Do you happen to remember what seller you bought the Runway from? I would consider getting it from Amazon, but I want to make sure I don't end up with a knock-off.

SoAnxious12

darn you straight to purgatory sj!!!! I spposed to be savin my monies so i can get edumacated. Now i'm going to be a broke dummy with grogeous flat ironed hurr, all yo dam dault sj! lol

But forreal, I've been eyeing this falt iron for a long time and your review/rank just sent me ver the top. I'm afraid i might have to get this for my bday 2weeks from now.

swalker31

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this review. I'm was hoping for the runway to top them all because that's what I'm saving up for. I wanted to ask you about your technique. I'm a halfway decent hair presser and flat ironer :perplexed....but I'm learning (to be honest I really suck). Since your natural too, how does this iron work with your roots and edges? Does your scalp sizzle when you get too close?

soulie

Do you happen to remember what seller you bought the Runway from? I would consider getting it from Amazon, but I want to make sure I don't end up with a knock-off.

SJ and I both got them from Amazon. It wasn't a 3rd party seller; Amazon lists and sells them directly.

Lucky's Mom

darn you straight to purgatory sj!!!! I spposed to be savin my monies so i can get edumacated. Now i'm going to be a broke dummy with grogeous flat ironed hurr, all yo dam dault sj! lol

But forreal, I've been eyeing this falt iron for a long time and your review/rank just sent me ver the top. I'm afraid i might have to get this for my bday 2weeks from now.

:look: I will attempt to decipher.....:lachen:
Girl - you were the very one BEGGING me to rate the iron!

Silly....

Lucky's Mom

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this review. I'm was hoping for the runway to top them all because that's what I'm saving up for. I wanted to ask you about your technique. I'm a halfway decent hair presser and flat ironer :perplexed....but I'm learning (to be honest I really suck). Since your natural too, how does this iron work with your roots and edges? Does your scalp sizzle when you get too close?

I have pretty much perfected my technique... but I think everyone has to learn her hair and what works for them.....

Roots and Edges? They are dry - so no sizzling.....

the following is a Review of a specific product - but - there are pics of my results.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=372675