BKT on natural 4a/b hair

sheba1

I'm home from work today so I decided to do a second BKT treatment. Can I just say the second time was a breeze! I've always hated clarifying my hair because it always becomes so tangly and fragile feeling. Not anymore :) My bkt'd clarified hair was soooo soft and not tangled at all. My curls were popping and it was easy to comb my hair with no product, at all. I clarified twice and it just felt soft and really clean.

I followed Foxxylisa's lead and applied my bkt to towel dried hair. I didn't even wait long, with the towel on since my hair (post bkt) dries so quickly. I used a method to apply that I saw on youtube. I would rest the comb in the bowl with the product. When I pulled the comb out of the product it would be coated and I would comb that through my hair starting at my root. Any excess goes back in the bowl. It was easy to apply it this way and took very little time.

My blow dry with product in was much much straighter than with my first treatment. I then went back through with the flat iron and it was kind of difficult to tell the difference because my blow dried hair was so flowy, it somewhat blended in with my flat ironed hair. My flat ironed hair is floaty and light weight and silky to the touch. I think it may take more treatments before my hair becomes heavy and smooth enough for "swing" but it has plenty of movement.

I love it!!! I've been natural for many years and I thought I'd have to bite the bullet and relax if I ever wanted to enjoy straight hair again. My flat ironed hair was beautiful but wouldn't last more than a couple days. I love my bkt'd hair! I look forward to seeing how it behaves after the first wash (of this second treatment) and beyond.

For my first bkt pics you can see my fotki here. You can see my second bkt pics below.

My normal hair is 4/ab (this is before my first bkt, slightly stretched from low bun)
1 before back.JPG

Product in hair during blow dry:
1 prod in hair.JPG

Much smoother blow dry than first using exact same blow dryer and comb attachment
2nd bkt blow dry.JPG

Smoother result than first. Here's to smoother and smoother!
3 2nd bkt.JPG

ChocoKitty

Thanks soo much for sharing your progress Sheba! It seems your hair will only improve as you continue to use it. I can see the difference! :yep: I am soo looking forward to getting this done. What formulation did you use? I assume you used Global Keratin. I've thought about trying SoftLiss but it seems GK may be the way to go.

sheba1

Thanks soo much for sharing your progress Sheba! It seems your hair will only improve as you continue to use it. I can see the difference! I am soo looking forward to getting this done. What formulation did you use? I assume you used Global Keratin. I've thought about trying SoftLiss but it seems GK may be the way to go.

You're very welcome. :) Yes I used GK 2% chocolate. If I had it to do all over again, I would have gone to a salon for the first one. It was very hard on me the first time. I like the Softliss, too, though! I like that you can buy a single treatment kit. My worry for you is that you have so much hair so you may need two!

wow very very nice. when did you do the first treatment?

Thank you, Nomoweaves! I did the first one last Friday and washed 24 hours later. It was a nightmare because it turned out to be our hottest weekend, yet, this year. The windows were open and I spilled some so I ended up leaving the windows open all weekend. By Saturday night I was sticky and needed to wash my head, so I did. I was happy to see the product was in long enough to make a difference in my curl pattern and detangling even with the shorter cure time.

crazydaze911

Im glad ur still happy with it. Looks really good. It really is the best of both worlds and then some. Maybe one day i'll be brave like you and try it at home and save the salon money.

Dove56

I'm home from work today so I decided to do a second BKT treatment. Can I just say the second time was a breeze! I've always hated clarifying my hair because it always becomes so tangly and fragile feeling. Not anymore :) My bkt'd clarified hair was soooo soft and not tangled at all. My curls were popping and it was easy to comb my hair with no product, at all. I clarified twice and it just felt soft and really clean.

I followed Foxxylisa's lead and applied my bkt to towel dried hair. I didn't even wait long, with the towel on since my hair (post bkt) dries so quickly. I used a method to apply that I saw on youtube. I would rest the comb in the bowl with the product. When I pulled the comb out of the product it would be coated and I would comb that through my hair starting at my root. Any excess goes back in the bowl. It was easy to apply it this way and took very little time.

My blow dry with product in was much much straighter than with my first treatment. I then went back through with the flat iron and it was kind of difficult to tell the difference because my blow dried hair was so flowy, it somewhat blended in with my flat ironed hair. My flat ironed hair is floaty and light weight and silky to the touch. I think it may take more treatments before my hair becomes heavy and smooth enough for "swing" but it has plenty of movement.

I love it!!! I've been natural for many years and I thought I'd have to bite the bullet and relax if I ever wanted to enjoy straight hair again. My flat ironed hair was beautiful but wouldn't last more than a couple days. I love my bkt'd hair! I look forward to seeing how it behaves after the first wash (of this second treatment) and beyond.

For my first bkt pics you can see my fotki here. You can see my second bkt pics below.

My normal hair is 4/ab (this is before my first bkt, slightly stretched from low bun)
View attachment 32650

Product in hair during blow dry:
View attachment 32644

Much smoother blow dry than first using exact same blow dryer and comb attachment
View attachment 32646

Smoother result than first. Here's to smoother and smoother!
View attachment 32648

Very very pretty Sheba! I'm still loving my BKT'd wig..lol! :yep: I worked out twice (very hard) and my hair was wet and dried BONE STRAIGHT! This treatment in a dream!

sheba1

Your hair looks great!

I'm natural 4a too. And I soooooooo want to do this.

I thought about it for a while and researched it to death! In the end, I decided to give it a whirl. If you do it, expect to do it a couple of times as it doesn't take as well on healthy, kinky hair with closed cuticle. As a natural, you're more likely to have this.

My first time was really tough. And I recommend going to someone or getting help for/with it. Did I mention it was tough? :spinning: :) I don't regret doing it, though. It allows me to enjoy both straight and curly hair easier. Straight hair without fear of reversion and curly hair without those dreaded knots.

Last night I was putting my hair in a flexi rod set when my girlfrend called to ask me if I wanted to go to the gym. I whipped out the flexi rods and I was already getting a nice frizz free curl. I really think this will make rod and roller sets a breeze. Which will allow me to have more styling options with less heat. I'm souped!

Thank goodness for LHCF because I never would have found BKT, otherwise. I was planning on relaxing this time next year as I was in serious need of a change. Now I have my change and get to keep my natural hair. Yay!

sheba1

Sheba1 your hair looks great!! I'll be home this weekend. Where in the world can I find a kit?

Girlfriend, if you find one locally, let me know! hahahaha I bought mine directly from Global. I couldn't even find anyone locally to do it for me in the salon. :( So I ordered it and the clarifying poo. I bought a 16 oz if you want to get 3 oz from me? I'm in Goldsboro, not sure how far I am from you. It's still early in the week, too. You might be able to order online and get it shipped to your home in nc. Could it get there before you do? Softliss and QOD Max sell single kits that come with the poo and all, I think.

naturalmanenyc

Your DIY BKT looks great!!!!

I may do my 3rd one at home now that I have had it done twice at the salon. I am not sure if my blowout & flat iron will look as great as the salon results though. My second BKT stylist did an excellent job.

naturalmanenyc

Do share: what did you use? My maxiglide does not get up to 450 and I sold my FHI platform.

How did you blowdry with the treatment on your hair? That will be my down fall as I still cannot successfully do the Pinkskates tension method. I am guessing that a blowout with the treatment on my hair will be even more difficult?

sheba1

Do share: what did you use? My maxiglide does not get up to 450 and I sold my FHI platform.

How did you blowdry with the treatment on your hair? That will be my down fall as I still cannot successfully do the Pinkskates tension method. I am guessing that a blowout with the treatment on my hair will be even more difficult?

Thanks Naturaltobe. I used my FHI. Only the 3rd time using it on myself ever. For my blow dry, I used a blow dryer with comb attachment. It was so easy with the comb attachment. Just like combing my hair in sections.

The dryer I have is shaped like the one below. I have another kind of dryer; the kind with the nozzle but the one I used today is easier to hold over the period of time it takes to dry the bkt.

hotnsilky.jpg

AtlantaJJ

Very very pretty Sheba! I'm still loving my BKT'd wig..lol! :yep: I worked out twice (very hard) and my hair was wet and dried BONE STRAIGHT! This treatment in a dream!
Stop that talk before you make me order the BKT right now! :lol:

I have to wait until at least Thanksgiving!!!

Stop tempting me!!

Sheba you did a fabulous job, I'm driving up there so you can do my hair!

Last edited:

Dove56

Stop tempting me!!

Do it, do it..lol.:poke: Seriously, I really do love it. I jogged and worked out on the elliptical and my hair was still so smooth. Normally my tex-laxed would curl right up! No more woohoo!:superbanana:

sheba1

Stop tempting me!!

Come on up, AtlantaJJ! What's that? Three hours? That's nothing! Come on to NC and I'd be happy to! :)

Heh.... Looks like Veejee is poking you. You'd better go ahead and get on the road, then. :lachen:

PaperClip

AtlantaJJ just told me what a BKT is (what the initials stand for)....

Is there somewhere I can go to learn more about this? I'm a 4a natural and I have had my hair pressed out recently and I've really liked it so if I can maintain that without sweating my hair completely out I'd appreciate the info....

Thanks!

btrflyrose

My first time was really tough. And I recommend going to someone or getting help for/with it. Did I mention it was tough? :spinning: :) I don't regret doing it, though. It allows me to enjoy both straight and curly hair easier. Straight hair without fear of reversion and curly hair without those dreaded knots.

If you don't mind me asking...what do you mean by tough?

Was it very time consuming? Or was it hard to do the back?

I know if I did this myself, I would need patience with the blow drying step.
Nowadays, when I straighten my hair I just section it and blow dry by gently pulling it taut.

With this, and the videos I've seen, they blow dry and comb at the same time. Now that, I'm simply not good at. I was thinking of purchasing a stand or holder for my blow dryer so my hands would be free.

sheba1

Sheba, your hair looks great! I now want to transition!

Awwww Thanks Wanderland!

AtlantaJJ just told me what a BKT is (what the initials stand for)....

Is there somewhere I can go to learn more about this? I'm a 4a natural and I have had my hair pressed out recently and I've really liked it so if I can maintain that without sweating my hair completely out I'd appreciate the info....

Thanks!

Sure! This board is a great place to start! If you read many of the bkt threads you'll find all sorts of folks that have used it, have been using it long term; you'll be able to clearly see the pros and the cons.

This is the thread that started it all for me: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=350699

I began to research it and find all the info I could on it. If you type in "brazilian keratin" in the lhcf google search you'll get more info than you may want! I suggest reading them all. There are great tidbits in all; as well as links to other sites with more info: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/nd...&q=brazilian+keratin+treatment&sa=Search#1277

sheba1

If you don't mind me asking...what do you mean by tough?

Was it very time consuming? Or was it hard to do the back?

I know if I did this myself, I would need patience with the blow drying step.
Nowadays, when I straighten my hair I just section it and blow dry by gently pulling it taut.

With this, and the videos I've seen, they blow dry and comb at the same time. Now that, I'm simply not good at. I was thinking of purchasing a stand or holder for my blow dryer so my hands would be free.

Awww man, Btrflyrose. I've tried to block it out, for the most part, but here goes. It was, indeed time consuming. I also constantly agonized over whether I was using enough product; was I using too much?

Also, before I bkt'd my hair was very difficult to work with when clarified. I guess when the cuticle was raised it would cause tangles for me. This made applying the product to my hair very difficult. I hadn't yet discovered the method to leave the small tooth comb in the solution in between applying.

I was also very hot. I recommend doing it early in the early morning in someone's backyard with a fan blowing directly in your face. My bf and I live in an apartment with a sunroom. So I applied it in the sun room with a couple of fans and the windows open. In hindsight, I made the mistake of starting too late in the day. So, by the time I got to the flat ironing (ventilation very important) the windows had to remain open and the sun was high in the sky. I was sweating like crazy :nono: . Not exactly a good thing if you want to avoid reversion.

By the time I did it the second time, I was a pro. I started at 7am. By the time I finished with the flat ironing step, it was still early. I aired the apartment then closed the windows and turned on the a/c. I didn't sweat a bit; not a drop and had no reversion.

About the blow dry, I hear you with the combing/blow drying simultaneously issue. I just used a blow dryer with a comb attachment and it worked fine. My second blow dry came out much much smoother because my previously bkt'd hair straightens so easily after the first treatment.

It probably would not be hard to do yourself as long as you arm yourself with much knowledge before hand and gather all of your tools. I recommend skipping the first blow dry (the one to 80% dry before applying product). Your hair is naked and a bit vulnerable here. I really like FoxxyLisa's method of applying BKT to towel dried hair and proceeding with a single blow dry. Thanks FoxxyLisa!!