alterna 10 review - the good and the bad

newflowers

Well, I bit the bullet and finally purchased this conditioner that I've been curious about and wanting to try for quite some time. I ordered from www.brightonbeauty.com because the Alterna products are on sale.

First, I was not really happy with Brighton Beauty, but I'm so accustomed to superior service from Polly and Company and Makeup Artists Choice that maybe Brighton is an okay company, and I'm spoiled and being picky. I ordered on the 20th and recevied my box on the 30th -10 days from New Jersy. Now the shipping was free, which is a good thing. They charged my card right away, even though they shipped almost two weeks later - strike one. I did receive an email confirming the order after I placed it, but I had no word from them again until the day the products shipped on the 26th - strike two. I called because I hadn't recevied an email, yet no one returned my call - strike three. When I called, the message said they ship within one day; not so with my order - strike four. Obviously, I'll not be ordering from Brighton Beauty again.

Now for the conditioner - I ordered Alterna 10 and Alterna Seasilk Moisture Masque (which I've not yet used). The bad - 5.1 ounces and the jar was not completely full - this bummed me out. However, the good, even great: the conditioner smells divine, is super thick, and rich. You know how sometimes you put on conditioner, especially on the new growth, but you can't really tell if your hair is coated (well, maybe that's just me), this conditioner is so thick and creamy, you cover every strand from root to tip without using tons of product. Almost immediately, I could feel my hair thanking me. I put on a plastic cap and then a turbie and lounged around for about an hour before I rinsed. I really had to rinse - this stuff is thick and didn't get watery and thin out when warmed. My hair, even the inch of new growth, feels incredibly soft and wonderfully moist.

Even though I can wax poetic about the results - and the results are spectacular - I won't buy this again. First of all, the price is too high. I don't object to expensive products, after all, I am a phyto kind of girl, and even though the conditioner was on sale (30%) and works wonderfully well, the jar was only 3/4s full. If I had paid full price, I would have had a serious tantrum. As it was, I felt cheated even though both conditioners included a thermal wrap - it's a turbie that's lined with a thin, almost foamy type of material - your head get very warm. I didn't care about the wrap; I cared that my jar was not full, and we're not talking contents settling - this jar was not filled.

If you're wanting to try a luxurious conditioner, Alterna 10, which combines some of the best ingredients from its other lines (white truffle oil, champagne grape seed oil, hyalauronic acid, etc.) is the ticket - my hair is still super happy, and I didn't put on anything afterwards so I could see the full results. No leave in, no oil, and my hair is moist, strong, and soft. While I won't buy it nor order from Brighton again, I will quite happily use it during the deep conditioning challenge. The results are great, but I get excellent results from Phytojoba which is not as expensive AND the jar is always full.

Last edited:

Nice & Wavy

What a great review, thanks. I've always wondered about this product..so glad that you shared your experience.

Well, I bit the bullet and finally purchased this conditioner that I've been curious about and wanting to try for quite some time. I ordered from www.brightonbeauty.com because the Alterna products are on sale.

First, I was not really happy with Brighton Beauty, but I'm so accustomed to superior service from Polly and Company and Makeup Artists Choice that maybe Brighton is an okay company, and I'm spoiled and being picky. I ordered on the 20th and recevied my box on the 30th -10 days from New Jersy. Now the shipping was free, which is a good thing. They charged my card right away, even though they shipped almost two weeks later - strike one. I did receive an email confirming the order after I placed it, but I had no word from them again until the day the products shipped on the 26th - strike two. I called because I hadn't recevied an email, yet no one returned my call - strike three. When I called, the message said they ship within one day; not so with my order - strike four. Obviously, I'll not be ordering from Brighton Beauty again.

Now for the conditioner - I ordered Alterna 10 and Alterna Seasilk Moisture Masque (which I've not yet used). The bad - 5.1 ounces and the jar was not completely full - this bummed me out. However, the good, even great: the conditioner smells divine, is super thick, and rich. You know how sometimes you put on conditioner, especially on the new growth, but you can't really tell if your hair is coated (well, maybe that's just me), this conditioner is so thick and creamy, you cover every strand from root to tip without using tons of product. Almost immediately, I could feel my hair thanking me. I put on a plastic cap and then a turbie and lounged around for about an hour before I rinsed. I really had to rinse - this stuff is thick and didn't get watery and thin out when warmed. My hair, even the inch of new growth, feels incredibly soft and wonderfully moist.

Even though I can wax poetic about the results - and the results are spectacular - I won't buy this again. First of all, the price is too high. I don't object to expensive products, after all, I am a phyto kind of girl, and even though the conditioner was on sale (30%) and works wonderfully well, the jar was only 3/4s full. If I had paid full price, I would have had a serious tantrum. As it was, I felt cheated even though both conditioners included a thermal wrap - it's a turbie that's lined with a thin, almost foamy type of material - your head get very warm. I didn't care about the wrap; I cared that my jar was not full, and we're not talking contents settling - this jar was not filled.

If you're wanting to try a luxurious conditioner, Alterna 10, which combines some of the best ingredients from its other lines (white truffle oil, champagne grape seed oil, hyalauronic acid, etc.) is the ticket - my hair is still super happy, and I didn't put on anything afterwards so I could see the full results. No leave in, no oil, and my hair is moist, strong, and soft. While I won't buy it nor order from Brighton again, I will quite happily use it during the deep conditioning challenge. The results are great, but I get excellent results from Phytojoba which is not as expensive AND the jar is always full.

newflowers

No problem - my hair smells wonderful and feels so good, I keep touching it, as does DH. I plan to use it on my daughters' natural hair tonight or tomorrow, so will post results for that because products often seem to perform differently on natural and relaxed hair.

Coffee

I totally agree with your statement about Alterna 10. It's smells wonderful, is thick and rich and you don't need a lot. My hair came out so soft and feeling wonderful. I have to see if I can find it a bit cheaper.