Natural Resources Salon in Houston (pics from their gallery)

Ediese

I posted these pics in another thread, and wanted to post it here again so others can view.

I've never been to this salon, but my sister forwarded the information to me. I know there aren't alot of natural hair salons in Houston, so I just wanted to pass this on. If you visit their website, it's really impressive. I'm going there for a consult next month, so I'll let you guys now how it goes. I'd like to get it pressed, and trimmed.:ohwell: Has anyone visited this salon before?? Any reviews??

htt://naturalresourcessalon.com

These pics are just a few from their online portfolio.

TCatt86

I like these styles. i really like the texture weave. Wish they had a salon like that in New Orleans.

ajoyfuljoy

I would never guess that's a weave! Anybody else think it funny that relaxed ladies are getting nappy weave and hoping to pass it off as their hair, lol! I guess the tides are a changing (I'm up in here posting like I'm a natural or something).

But I can't lie, I'd probably get these weave jobs done in a minute if this shop was located close to Chicago :look:

CHEEKQUEEN

Oh wow! All these styles are so pretty! I am going to be practicing different styles on my neices hair once a week. I have to perfect them so I will always have my hair in a cute natural style. I can't wait to be fully natural!!:grin:

TCatt86

I know right

where can one buy the hair like that?

Houston is not that far, but with gas prices as high as they are I will just do my own hair. I love to see salons like this and especially being in the south.

Ediese

I would never guess that's a weave! Anybody else think it funny that relaxed ladies are getting nappy weave and hoping to pass it off as their hair, lol! I guess the tides are a changing (I'm up in here posting like I'm a natural or something).

But I can't lie, I'd probably get these weave jobs done in a minute if this shop was located close to Chicago :look:

:lachen::lachen: Yeah, but I can't believe how natural that stuff looks. I might try it out. I just wonder what the upkeep would be like.

Ediese

I know right

where can one buy the hair like that?

They sell it in the shop. It's their Afro Textured collection. I'm not sure where they get it from. I can't vouch for the quality since I've never used it, but the texture is dead on. You might be able to contact them and find out if they ship. I wonder how much it costs.

For more information contact us: [email protected]

Last edited:

Ediese

Wow, I live in Houston so tell me how your consult goes and I will be looking for our review!

I will definitely let you guys know. The owner is a client of my sister. My sister first told me about the salon because the owner told her sister that she sold her own natural products, and at the time my sister was looking for a solution to my niece's dry hair.

The prices don't look too steep, so I'll go in at the end of next month for a consult first. Then depending on how it goes, I want to get my hair pressed/flat iron and trimmed.

Ediese

You guys I'm so disappointed right now. My sister called the owner on 3 way, to ask her how far in advance we needed to set up an appointment. She told her that the next available is in January 09.

She said that she opened it up so that her long time customers were able to set up their appts 6 months in advance, so that they could guarantee their spot. She said that she had to do that because she was getting all of these requests from new customers.

She opened up her appts slots on June 15th, and she's already booked to January. I'm happy that all of these people in Houston are natural/transitioning, but I'm so disappointed that I can't get an appointment. :sad::sad:

She did say though that we could come in the boutique to purchase hair or her natural hair products. Supposedly the hair is tailord to fit your hair. She has the afro textured collection, indian remy, european hair, curly hair, relaxed textured, etc. The hair ranges from $20 - $55 per bag.

Oh, she also mentioned that she's offering a class in July at the local Community College (Houston Community College) on how to take care of natural hair. She goes over how to trim your own hair, etc.

Now, I don't know who I can get to trim my hair.:sad:

Ediese

I called and they told me they weren't taking any new clients:nono: It was kinda weird...

Yeah! I can't believe that they would be booked so far in advance. I really need to get my hair done by someone that knows how to care for transitioning hair.

Forever in Bloom

You guys I'm so disappointed right now. My sister called the owner on 3 way, to ask her how far in advance we needed to set up an appointment. She told her that the next available is in January 09.

She said that she opened it up so that her long time customers were able to set up their appts 6 months in advance, so that they could guarantee their spot. She said that she had to do that because she was getting all of these requests from new customers.

She opened up her appts slots on June 15th, and she's already booked to January. I'm happy that all of these people in Houston are natural/transitioning, but I'm so disappointed that I can't get an appointment. :sad::sad:

She did say though that we could come in the boutique to purchase hair or her natural hair products. Supposedly the hair is tailord to fit your hair. She has the afro textured collection, indian remy, european hair, curly hair, relaxed textured, etc. The hair ranges from $20 - $55 per bag.

Oh, she also mentioned that she's offering a class in July at the local Community College (Houston Community College) on how to take care of natural hair. She goes over how to trim your own hair, etc.

Now, I don't know who I can get to trim my hair.:sad:

Would you be open or tell them you're open to the possibility that if someone called and cancelled you could come in their stead? I plan on moving to Houston for a job, so I'm glad you mentioned this. All I ever heard of was Uncle Funky's Daughter, but it would be nice to have a backup salon.

Platinum

Those style are gorgeous! Is this salon near I-10? I may have to check it out when I'm in the area.

Ediese

Would you be open or tell them you're open to the possibility that if someone called and cancelled you could come in their stead? I plan on moving to Houston for a job, so I'm glad you mentioned this. All I ever heard of was Uncle Funky's Daughter, but it would be nice to have a backup salon.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, they already have a long waiting list.:sad::nono: My sister said to set up an appointment for January. :lachen:I'm like, 'yeah..uh huh..I'll probably apply a relaxer before that. :lachen::lachen: j/k

Prettypsych

Looks like they're "Reniece" for the South. :)

I guess this is what happens when you provide good service that everyone wants, you're successful! who knew?

steffiejoe

I have a ex-coworker who gets her hair done by the owner. I called about an appointment and was placed on a waiting list for 6 months. Around the 5th month I called just to see where I was on the waiting list. The owner then said I could come in for a $25.00 consult. I got excited at first until she said that the consult does not guarantee me an appointment(WTF). I explained that I would be driving into Houston from a nearby town. She said after the consult I would then be on another list and would be called if one of her current customers canceled .
I've seen her work and it is nice but it not worth all the trouble they put you through to get an appointment.

I will just stick with the Root of You Salon , they no how to treat customers and there is no waiting list. When you go in for a consult , you get scheduled for an appointment.

I called another time about the natural hair classes they offer for one of my clients. The person I spoke to on the phone said they were not having any classes at this time (could not give me any type of projected date)and that they were in the process of moving. She also said there is still a waiting list but they had hired a new stylist so they may start excepting new clients. Well I'm not holding my breath for one ...