NATURALS: Questions for the BSL & BEYOND Ladies

loolalooh

How often do you comb? What type of comb do you use?

How often do you brush? What type of brush do you use?

How often do you detangle?

How often do you trim?

What is your staple hair style?

What 1-3 products have helped you retain your growth? Explain.

What is your #1 motto when it comes to retaining growth?

Any other treasured tips you want to share?

Thanks in advance!!! :grinwink:

Last edited:

laurend

How often do you comb? What type of comb do you use? I use the comb to part my hair and to detangle and I use a wide tooth comb

I use the brush if I wear my hair in a bun
How often do you detangle? Detangle with my fingers once a week and with a wide tooth comb every three weeks

How often do you trim? I dust my ends every month, I haven't trimmed in years

What is your staple hair style? Twist-outs and buns.

Murrays promade on my ends to seal

What is your #1 motto when it comes to retaining growth? Less is more

Any other treasured tips you want to share? You don't need expensive hair products to grow hair. Look at all the longhaired women in Africa or Brazil, they don't have the money to spend on hair products.

Cichelle

How often do you comb? What type of comb do you use? I use a seamless comb to detangle every time I wash my hair. I do not use combs or brushes for styling purposes, nor do I generally use them on dry hair.

How often do you brush? What type of brush do you use? I sometimes use a Denman brush after I detangle to remove any remaining shed hair.

How often do you detangle? Somewhere between two and four times a week. Ideally, I'd do it daily. I try never to go beyond the third day.

How often do you trim? I don't.

What is your staple hair style? It changes from time to time. It's usually protective, though. Right now I have it in one big twist to the side.

What 1-3 products have helped you retain your growth? Explain. Water, shampoo, conditioner. Keeping my hair and scalp clean is important. Build up causes my hair to have dry ends. Shampoo removes build up. Gentle shampoo is my friend. Over my three year hair growing journey, I've used lots of different kinds. I currently prefer mild shampoo bars. Conditioner is optional but the cheap kind does the job just fine. I don't spend money on expensive conditioners and products anymore.

I should mention henna, but I don't know if it has helped retain my length. Honestly I think how a person treats/styles/deals with their hair has more to do with retention than any particular product.

What is your #1 motto when it comes to retaining growth? Hmm...I can't think of a motto exactly. But it has helped me to treat my hair gently and keep it protected.

Any other treasured tips you want to share? Avoid the scissors. ;)

Sweet_Ambrosia

I use a wide tooth comb to comb/detangle my hair only when I wash it, which varies from 1-3 times a week, in between those days I finger comb.

I brush my hair whenever I’m wearing an updo style like a bun, french roll, or clip updo, I don’t brush the entire length just the top and sides. I use my Goody’s Ouchless paddle brush to smooth my hair back, and I use a toothbrush to smooth down my hairline/edges.

^ See answer 1.

How often do you trim?
Rarely. The last time I trimmed was last year back when I was transitioning. My ends are in good condition, so I don’t have a need to trim, plus I’m not overly concerned with 100% even ends since I hardly wear my hair out in “straight styles”.

Buns, French Rolls and 2 Strand Twists.

Conditioners, Water, Oil. In conjunction with protective/low manipulation styling.

Keep it Simple.

If something works for your hair be it products, methods or techniques ~Stick With It~!

wonderstar

How often do you comb? What type of comb do you use? No more than once per week using seamless resin combs; wide, medium then fine.

How often do you brush? What type of brush do you use? I don't brush but I ordered a denman and is still waiting for it to arrive.

How often do you detangle? Once per week (less if emergency, more if I lack the time).

How often do you trim? Like once per year.

What is your staple hair style? Curly bun

What 1-3 products have helped you retain your growth? Henna has been the 'best thing since slice bread for me. The difference is so evident, way less breakage and it has made my fine hair so much stronger and smoother. Baking Soda and conditioner mix to cleanse my hair has also helped because my hair is much more softer, moisturised and it's less frizzy. A good pure butter to seal in the moisture and form a coating for my ends; less damage and friction.

What is your #1 motto when it comes to retaining growth? Keep it Simple.

Any other treasured tips you want to share? Progress doesn't happen overnight and there is no miracle product. Aim for health and length will follow:grin:.

BrooklynSouth

Natural hair is just so pretty and I'm glad I can finally feel this way. I think of the photos I've seen from decades ago of black women with what I always believed to be the stereotypical "good hair." I realize they were as 4 textured as me but understood the need for moisturization and good oils to maintain the beautiful crimps. I'm so looking forward to my natural texture growth. I touch my hair roots with such pleasure now. I'm entering week 11 so really cannot answer your specific questions{except coconut, coconut, coconut oil and cons..

Last edited:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I never comb. I always finger comb.

I rarely brush, I smooth my hair+water with my hands if I need to flatten it, or sometimes brush the front of the hair to make it smoother.

Twice a week in general, when I wash my hair I detangle with my fingers when the hair is saturated in conditioner.

How often do you trim?
Once or twice a year, at the most.

Ponytail...very boring! :D

No product at all, I've used moisturizing products for years. The major growth came from bein more gentle with my hair, finger combing instead of splitting ends with my combs.

Treat your hair like silk and keep it simple. :)

Just leave your hair alone as much as possible. I model my hair care a little after locks since they grow tremendously quick and long. They're left alone most of the time and the hair is never combed or styled.

Great questions!! :yep:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I just looked through the thread and it's striking that many of our answers were so similar! I guess it must work well for all our different hair types :yep:

Miss*Tress

Too often - every day. Here's my favorite comb:

I use a BBB when I wear a bun or pony tail and a Denman when I roller set or twist out

Every day when I comb my hair.

How often do you trim?
Once a year.

Roller set and buns.

Oils, ayurvedic powders, and conditioner washes have helped me reduce dryness, shedding, and breakage so growth retention has improved. Regardless of one's products, it's the techniques that count.

Moisturize!

• Stay away from scissors.
  • Learn how to manage and style your hair yourself.
  • Roller sets are the best for styling.
  • Stay away from direct heat.

Irresistible

1x per week/k cutter

more daily to do touch ups to my edges, a reg nylon brush

1x per week

How often do you trim? as needed! when my ends feel rough

pony tail

oils, time, patience

moisture moisture moisture! oils oils oils!

K.I.S.S. works best for me

Ms Lala

THis is a great thread. I keep losing my hair growth because of raggedy ends. I think my comb is snagging my hair. I"m going to get a new one. I tried out the denman and my hair hated it!

Cheleigh

I'm the newbie of this group, just at BSL in the back.

I rarely comb. The only times are when I need to make a part, or if I'm about to rollerset/straighten my hair. I've tried to use a shower comb, but finger combing works better for me.

I brush whenever I detangle--ideally every 5-7 days. I use a Denman 4

See above

How often do you trim?
Usually every six months. I might start dusting every four months.

Bun or a french roll

I don't know. It's a combo of product and technique--washing, moisturizing, detangling, deep conditioning. When I don't do these things regularly and consistently, my hair and ends really suffer.

Like the others--keep it simple and consistent.

zzirvingj

I brush almost every day, but I brush it just to get it in a bun, so it's mostly the tops/sides of my hair that the brush touches. It's a boar bristle (soft/medium bristle) brush. I got it from Walmart.

Usually once a week.

How often do you trim?

At this point, once or twice a year.

A bun.

My top 3 products are:

-Giovanni Direct Leave-in conditioner (it makes my hair very soft and manageable---it instantly feels different as soon as I apply it to my hair)

-ORS replenishing pack: it's just a great deep conditioner that feels soooo good on my hair

-Aveda Detoxifier: I get build-up on my scalp very easily. I use this once a week every week, and it removes build up from my scalp and hair, giving me a "clean slate" to work with. My hair/scalp needs clarifying frequently, and this definitely does the job for me. :yep:

-Only cut, trim or dust hair that ABSOLUTELY has to come off. If it's dry, it probably just needs to be moisturized, not cut or trimmed.

-Uh, I can't think of any right now but if anyone has any specific questions I'd be more than happy to answer them! :drunk:
Thanks in advance!!! :grinwink:

(see answers above in bold)

michaela

Natural 4b
How often do you comb? Every to every other day to avoid those nasty tangles!

What type of comb do you use?Wide tooth comb k-cutter comb and seamless comb

How often do you brush? I dont like brushing maybe once a week or every 2 weeks.

What type of brush do you use?Bristle brush

How often do you detangle? ^

How often do you trim? I use to trimm once a year but now i really dont.

What is your staple hair style? the i dont feel like doing my hair Bun or the when im at home by myself hair all over the place style.

Evoo Cantu shea Butter and um Conditoner with Evoo.

Dont really have a motto? it would be nice if i could have one.

Evoo in Conditoners like i metioned earlier has really help me with slip.
Im still working on some ideas but im really on to okra right about now:yep:

ayanharr

How often do you comb? One a Week on wash day

What type of comb do you use? A Big tooth comb and then a denman in the shower during detangling

How often do you brush? Once a week on wash day

What type of brush do you use? Denman or a boars head when I'm smoothing my ponytail for a bun

How often do you detangle? Once a week

How often do you trim? Once every 3 - 4 months

What is your staple hair style? Buns or twist out

What 1-3 products have helped you retain your growth? Quemet Alma and Olive heavy cream, Aloe Vera Gel. Pre-pooing with HONEY and Evoo in a cheapie conditioner.

What is your #1 motto when it comes to retaining growth? Less is more

If your natural, only detangle when wet and ALWAYS "Baby" your hair.:grin:

Last edited:

ayanharr

THis is a great thread. I keep losing my hair growth because of raggedy ends. I think my comb is snagging my hair. I"m going to get a new one. I tried out the denman and my hair hated it!

I hope you didn't use that Denman on DRY hair :nono:. It works wonders for me during detangling wet hair of course:grin:

cmesweet

I comb once a week during and after I detangle. I start with a shower detangling comb, then when I want to part my hair or braid it I use a bone comb.

I rarely brush, if I do, it is once a week. When I don't use my shower comb, I use my denman brush to detangle.

I detangle once a week

How often do you trim?
Maybe 2-4 times a year. It is just when I feel I need it, it is never planned.

Right now it is Mwedzi's bun style. Also, 2 french braids.

I don't really have a product that helped me to retain my growth. I don't believe in growth aids. However, I do take multi-vitamins and try to eat healthy which in turn results in positive hair health and growth.

Leave it alone and it will come.

Natural products do not work for everyone. Do not believe the hype! I've tried most natural products, which made my hair crispy. I use cones, my hair loves it. Don't believe the hype, do what your hair wants!

BillsBackerz67

I hope you didn't use that Denman on DRY hair :nono:. It works wonders for me during detangling wet hair of course:grin:
I use the Denman practically everyday:look: That is the only thing that keeps my single strand knots at bay. Im not one of those people whose hair can survive on detangling once a month or detangling solely by finger combing.