Can TWA curls be defined?

LunadeMiel

My TWA curls are definedd...:look: See fotki for pics.

I don't use a denman, I just wash and apply some leave in moisturizer...:yep:

ladylibra

if your hair is REALLY short, you can "palm" it (i think that's what it's called). this is what i did when i had a twa, i still do it to my son as his hair stays short these days (lazy mommy :lachen: )

you apply some curl-defining product and put your hand on your head like you're palming a basketball. rub clockwise or counter-clockwise, but make sure it's always going in the same direction. hair will clump and coil on its own. :yep:

*guess i should make a vid on that too, gotta wait for son's hair to grow out though... i just cut his hair yesterday :rolleyes:

anon123

if your hair is REALLY short, you can "palm" it (i think that's what it's called). this is what i did when i had a twa, i still do it to my son as his hair stays short these days (lazy mommy :lachen: )

you apply some curl-defining product and put your hand on your head like you're palming a basketball. rub clockwise or counter-clockwise, but make sure it's always going in the same direction. hair will clump and coil on its own. :yep:

*guess i should make a vid on that too, gotta wait for son's hair to grow out though... i just cut his hair yesterday :rolleyes:

so this method worked for your hair? I was trying to do it for a guy friend of mine with some Oyin Shine and Define and nothing was happening. I thought his hair might be too soft (and don't shoot me for saying that, I really don't know how else to describe it; it felt soft and the curl was not super tight) to make it work. Was your twa soft?

ladylibra

so this method worked for your hair? I was trying to do it for a guy friend of mine with some Oyin Shine and Define and nothing was happening. I thought his hair might be too soft (and don't shoot me for saying that, I really don't know how else to describe it; it felt soft and the curl was not super tight) to make it work. Was your twa soft?

yes my hair is soft. :perplexed maybe his coils are just not quite tight enough? my son's hair is coarse/wiry though and he has very tight coils... "beedeebees" my grandma calls them. um... i'm trying to think of what product i used to use cuz it's been quite a while since i've done it on my hair...

ImFree27

what I did to define my curls I would wash my hair in the shower and after I wash it, I would add a little of conditioner, aveda b curly, and paul mitchel (I think it was the liquid gel) I then would brush my hair all back with the denman brush, ( the more product you put in the longer it takes to dry) then wait unitl your hair dries to style if you do it wet, then it will be frizzy, so once it dries you just pull it apart and your curls will be looser and stretched..... That's what I did in this picture

Attachments

• denman.jpg
    denman.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

MonPetite

Heck yes, my dear!

I don't do anything (braid-outs, twisting, whatever) to my hair. My TWA is 4" and long enough for the curls to pop with just being healthy and a good leave-in.

I like Sunsilk's Captivating Curls or Waves (exact same product) Cream Gel. I'm wearing it in my hair album. See my reviews on these two they are very lengthy and detailed, in my drugstore album.

It will be hard to have curls whatever your length though if you don't have a set curl pattern. In that case more manipulation than just the application of a product will be necessary.

productjunkie814

I hope so, lol, or else I've been severely deluding myself! I think my curls are defined (fotki will be updated to reflect my first month of naturalness:yep:). I usually use plain ol' conditioner after a cowash, but if I want even more definition IC gel does it for me (I put it on after running conditioner in my hair)

AsTheCurlzTurns

I would think so! It don't think it take muchto define our hair, provided we have a curl pattern to even try and define. Even a lil conditioner on wet hair will even do it for me. But I've found that the best ones for defining is the Smooth and Shine Curl Activator Gel for extra dry hair and the Blue IC Fantasia gel w/sparkelites (watered down a tad). I just put approximately, a half dollar size of either of those and rake it through my wet hair if I'm doing a wash n' go.

ALWAYZL8

if your hair is REALLY short, you can "palm" it (i think that's what it's called).

This is by far the best advice I have used from this board!!! I did it this morning and I was in shock when I got in my car this morning. Thanks! Pure Genious!!!!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I'm going to try this. I waste so much time trying to get my curl def. just right and this method is simpler than mine.:yep: I love this site! update: It works great! Thank you!

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

what I did to define my curls I would wash my hair in the shower and after I wash it, I would add a little of conditioner, aveda b curly, and paul mitchel (I think it was the liquid gel) I then would brush my hair all back with the denman brush, ( the more product you put in the longer it takes to dry) then wait unitl your hair dries to style if you do it wet, then it will be frizzy, so once it dries you just pull it apart and your curls will be looser and stretched..... That's what I did in this picture
That makes perfect sense, I did this by mistake the other day and I had the perfect S curls and spirals after having it just slicked back almost smooth with gel, I let it dry like that and then ran my fingers through it and curls popped out :yep: and they were not frizzy.

LongHairDreams

Great advice ladies. I asked because my curls had more POP when my hair was shorter. So im wondering if i've grown out of the TWA and graduated to a TA (Teeny afro); its not that weeny anymore:grin:

cmw45

When I had a TWA I detangled, co-washed and blotted my hair. Then I sprayed it with S-Curl, it stayed looking cute. Shucks, almost makes me want to go back. :grin:

I washed with Shikaki once and had the curliest hair for DAYS! Pics are in fotki.

LongHairDreams

I have to show you. I did my first ACV rince today and I am so glad I did. My curls are back!! ....I have my first shrunken 'fro :grin:

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
I think it depends on what type of hair you have.

When my hair was about an inch, I had curls that were bigger than pencils but smaller than markers.

Now, that my hair is 3-4 inches, all you can see is frizz. The curls are still there but are impossible to define.

I've given up trying to define my curls.

LongHairDreams

How do you do an ACV rinse? Your hair looks amazing!

I used 3 cups warm water and 1 cup apple cider vinegar. This is what I did...i co-washed, rinced, then poured that all over, rinced then i co-washed again cause it was a little dry. (There may be other ways to do it.) Then i put my moisturizer in...baggied for a little while and let it air dry as usual.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Thank you. I'll be trying that tomorrow. BTW, I love your mini twists. I'll be trying that style too.