Rollersetting Breakage

kittie43

I have been having problems with rollersetting. Everytime my hair dries from rollersetting, while I take out the rollers I notice broken hairs stuck to the rollers and it has increased now that I am 9 wks post relaxer. How do I remedy this problem?

After washing my hair I did a deep treatment with AO Honeysuckle Rose conditioner, then I added Lacio Lacio leave in along with Aveda Style Prep Smoother and spritzed my hair with water/glossing polish mix.

Any advice would be a huge help.

Thanks in advance.

_belle

this has probably been gone over before. . . but I would say that u are rolling your hair too tightly. when it is wet, it stretches, when it dries, it "shrinks" back to it's normal length. if there is no lee way because your rolled it too tightly, your hair is goin to snap, hence the little broken hairs u see.

Princess4real

this has probably been gone over before. . . but I would say that u are rolling your hair too tightly. when it is wet, it stretches, when it dries, it "shrinks" back to it's normal length. if there is no lee way because your rolled it too tightly, your hair is goin to snap, hence the little broken hairs u see.

I know I didn't ask the question, but thanks for the response. I could never figure out why this was happening to me. :nono:

Lady Esquire

I had this problem too. I made a few tweaks to my rollersetting technique and it cured that:

* keep a bowl of water nearby, dump all tools in it periodically: combs, and rollers, to keep all wet

* keep spritz bottle with plain water, to keep hair wet, esp. ends

* do a reverse rollerset. roll the rollers going up, instead of down....does not need as much tension, and hence there's less breakage.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Princess4real

I had this problem too. I made a few tweaks to my rollersetting technique and it cured that:

* keep a bowl of water nearby, dump all tools in it periodically: combs, and rollers, to keep all wet

* keep spritz bottle with plain water, to keep hair wet, esp. ends

* do a reverse rollerset. roll the rollers going up, instead of down....does not need as much tension, and hence there's less breakage.

Hope this helps.

I will try your routine to see if that will stop it from happening. I have to say it again, I know I didn't start this thread, but you all are giving out some good tips. :yep:

Lovelylocs

Are your ends flat and smooth against the roller when u roll? Also, is your hair kind of weak or really damaged to begin with? You may need to do some treatments.

kittie43

Are your ends flat and smooth against the roller when u roll? Also, is your hair kind of weak or really damaged to begin with? You may need to do some treatments.

I have been keeping up with my treatments.

After reading the posts, I think that I may have been using too much tension because I was attempting to get my newgrowth as flat as possible.