Gin's Natural Pressing Tutorial

Maynard

Howdy Ladies,

I have decided to post my pressing tutorial after reading a few threads about DIY pressing with a flat iron. I am a Natural 4B and alot of women were concerned with the ends coming out straight. I personally dont think that it matters what type of iron you use, its more of the technique. Hopefully after seeing these pics, it will be easier to grasp the concept.

First off, I know yall see my 2K posts an prob think that I am a hair guru...uh NOT...those posts are strictly OT. I know a little bit, cause I lurked for 6mos before joining. As far as hair regimes go, I do what works for me.

FYI: This may not be for some of you...I use alot of heat/manipulation etc, this is not the end all be all, please feel free to tweak to your comfort level.

I start out with clean DC'ed hair ( I use ORS packs)

I rollerset "Dominican Style" doing the mohawk rollerset

Finished rollerset

Then I sit under the dryer...:blahblah:

When I take the rollers out, hair looks like this:

I put a good amount of CHI silk infusion on EACH and EVERY curl. I am very careful to apply it to the ends because that is the oldest part of my hair and I am super paranoid about heat damage

After the rub down hair looks like this:

I then take my blowdryer to each curl and blow dry straight

Once I am done doing each and every curl, I start the flat iron process. I take very small pieces of hair, maybe an inch or so and flat iron. I use a heat resistant comb to "chase" my flat iron with to ensure straight and an even press and even ends.

Here's how I do the back (remember I said I was double-jointed)

Finished ends

Finished product

At this point I go on to style. I generally swipe once, because I know I am gonna swipe again when I "style" it.

That's basically it. The only product that I use is the CHI prior to blowdrying. I haven't had a problem with my hair reverting back. I wear my press for about a week before I wash it out.

scarcity21

Howdy Ladies,

I have decided to post my pressing tutorial after reading a few threads about DIY pressing with a flat iron. I am a Natural 4B and alot of women were concerned with the ends coming out straight. I personally dont think that it matters what type of iron you use, its more of the technique. Hopefully after seeing these pics, it will be easier to grasp the concept.

First off, I know yall see my 2K posts an prob think that I am a hair guru...uh NOT...those posts are strictly OT. I know a little bit, cause I lurked for 6mos before joining. As far as hair regimes go, I do what works for me.

FYI: This may not be for some of you...I use alot of heat/manipulation etc, this is not the end all be all, please feel free to tweak to your comfort level.

At this point I go on to style. I generally swipe once, because I know I am gonna swipe again when I "style" it.

That's basically it. The only product that I use is the CHI prior to blowdrying. I haven't had a problem with my hair reverting back. I wear my press for about a week before I wash it out.
Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooo much Gin...u r the bestest! These pics really help a lot!:kisses:

Lotus

Your press looks really good and healthy. Thanks for posting.

ETA: Do you have any suggestions for the front *aka-baby hair*. When I flat iron, I have an issue keeping that hair straight.

Last edited:

Rumplestiltskin

Gin,

Has your curl pattern loosened any since youve been doing this.

Not to say its heat damaged but has the curl loosened?

My hair is about your legth but the shrinkage is major to the point Im not sure I could obtain a decent rollerset.

How important is a perfect rollerset?

BTW EXCELLENT TUTORIAL:spinning:

tyte curlz

seriously i was planing on doing this for the new year and just to see where i will be starting in '08 and my progress. Good looking out very informative :yep:

Twisties

Thanks for the step by step. It should help others who don't know how to press or who want to try a new method. Cool.

*Happily Me*

you have gorgeous natural hair :)

Have you tried putting the CHI on while your hair is wet? My hair loves it like this!

Maynard

Gin,

Has your curl pattern loosened any since youve been doing this.

Not to say its heat damaged but has the curl loosened?

My hair is about your legth but the shrinkage is major to the point Im not sure I could obtain a decent rollerset.

How important is a perfect rollerset?

BTW EXCELLENT TUTORIAL:spinning:

No, if my curl pattern loosens I will stop, that's called damage, well that's what I call it, and to call it anything else is being in denial...

IMO, Heat damage would cause a setback for me. I go to great lengths to make sure that my hair maintains a proper moisture level before I even think about pressing. (I do this by doing weekly DCs, steam treatments, and I mezmerized SistaSlick's articles)

I dont think the perfect rollerset matters. The whole purpose of the rollerset is to mainly straighten out your hair. It was reaaaally hard for me to get my hair on those rollers, b/c my hair has major shrinkage. I just made sure my hair was very, very wet and took my time. You have to also make sure that you dont take too big of a section when you roll it because that 4B doesnt like to be rolled (well mine).

HTH :)

Maynard

Your press looks really good and healthy. Thanks for posting.

ETA: Do you have any suggestions for the front *aka-baby hair*. When I flat iron, I have an issue keeping that hair straight.

Thanks for the compliment!

I do the baby hair last. The same way I do the rest of my head. You might wanna try a anti-humectecant to stop the baby hair from reverting. But, IMO baby hairs are gonna be the first to "go", because they are closest to your scalp...

Last edited:

nappity

I dont think the perfect rollerset matters. The whole purpose of the rollerset is to mainly straighten out your hair. It was reaaaally hard for me to get my hair on those rollers, b/c my hair has major shrinkage. I just made sure my hair was very, very wet and took my time. You have to also make sure that you dont take too big of a section when you roll it because that 4B doesnt like to be rolled (well mine).

HTH :)

Mine too! I think I found my hair twin!!!!

Maynard

Thank all of you ladies for your compliments...

Since I havent learned how to multi-quote, I am gonna answer in one post :look:

Scarcity- No problemo chica

Ella- Yay! I thought everybody knew, sorry madam! I'm glad you found me too! :)

Lotus,Suzie,CecePassion, Soun,TyteCurls,Rumple,
Twisties, Cali Jen- Thanks!

DSylla- I havent tried it like that, but I think that I will next time. :yep:

jwhitley6

OMG, How did you get your hair to fit in those rollers?? My hair natural 4a/b won't do it....maybe I should try again. I've straw set my natural hair a few times before. Anyway, great job with your flat-ironing! Thanks for the tutorial.

Britt

Very thorough tutorial Gin :yep: You guys are really making me want to try that Chi Silk Infusion.

pattycake0701

Thank you so much for this tutorial, especially the step-by-step photos! I tried to press my hair Friday to add my pics to the APL reveal thread and like an hour later....poof city:nono: I do at least want to try the rollerset.

I will try your method before it gets warm again. Thanks again:yep:

silvergirl

im not 4b hair type, but ive always done the comb chase method, it works great to get that ultra straight haired look. :)

phyl73

Where were you last week?!!!! I tried to flat iron my hair and it was a hot mess. Since I'm transitioning, the permed part was straight and the new growth looked like I was sporting an ever increasing sponge underneath it:lachen:. It was bad! Thanks again for the pictures seeing as how I am a visual learner:spinning:.

Forbidden

Hmm...I missed this on the first go round. I may have to try your technique. I got my hair straightened in the beginning of Dec and left with some heat damage. :nono: