New way to texturize? my theory.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
NATURAL CURL LOOSENER? A FEW PAGES IN....

I deleted my original post now this thread is about a baking soda hair softener brought up by centeredgirl in a few pages

Last edited:

ajargon02

Re: Permanent solution to frizz. my theory.

Here is my theory:As you know relaxer runoff tends to occur especially in people who texturize thats why the ends get straight. but if relaxer runoff were to get on natural hair the result would be hair with the same natural curl pattern but little to no frizz. How could you get run off without relaxing? well since its really, really diluted textuizer i would think you could dilute a texturizer w/ water and use that with out risking total loss of natural curl pattern.Neutralizing would be done just like a regular texturizer.

by theory it should have the same curl pattern to it and no "out of curl bends" in it like texturized hair has sometimes.Im trying to get exact measurements and doing more tests on I will keep yall posted! Theres a lot of loop holes and such that I frankly dont have the answer to but I'm gonna go do my research:brainy::user:

This is just a theory but im THIS close to texturizing again. (please dont bother me with accepting my natural and whatnot. Im not in the mood to hear it.I want frizz free hair without all the fuss i currently have to go through)I wont do it until my hair is longer though.

please give me all question comments and concerns! i wonder if this is just a bad idea? Im still trying to think of a way of how it could be applied without dripping all over the place:look:

You should check out lovelymissyoli. She has a Twist-n-texturize technique that really seemed to work out lovely for her. I know what you mean about the run off of relaxer causing the tex ends to quickly become texlaxed and then just relaxed, but with lovely's routine, I think it would really minimize the effects. Or also send a note to sacrea. Her hair looks really nice and she's tex'd. Sorry that I wasn't much help.

fluffylocks

So would you just dilute it untill its watery and pour it over your head, or water it down and apply it to all of your hair?

redd

"(please dont bother me with accepting my natural and whatnot. Im not in the mood to hear it.I want frizz free hair without all the fuss i currently have to go through)"

:hide:

Isis

When I texlax, I protect all previously relaxed hair (with oils) so the run off does not affect it.

I would imagine whether or not the relaxer can be diluted with water successfully depends on the relaxer. Some of the ladies here dilute it with oil. I've never tried diluting it at all. Your theory could possibly work.

CenteredGirl

A teturizer is nothing more than a moderately strong alkali which softens and expands hair.

This past month, my hair has gotten more "texturized" with the use of baking soda - which happens to be a moderately strong alkali! For me it's the ultimate natural texturizing solution.:yep:

This is my fourth week using baking soda as a poo and my hair has really softened but my kink factor is still kicking.

Lucky's Mom

This sounds interesting.

I am afraid to use this..... Any chems just scare me to death......

:cry3::cry3::cry3:I would Cry a river if something happened to my hair.
And Napp - Girl - Do yo' thang.....

ladylibra

A teturizer is nothing more than a moderately strong alkali which softens and expands hair.

This past month, my hair has gotten more "texturized" with the use of baking soda - which happens to be a moderately strong alkali! For me it's the ultimate natural texturizing solution.:yep:

This is my fourth week using baking soda as a poo and my hair has really softened but my kink factor is still kicking.

really? i didn't know that... :drunk:

*edited to add - hey OP, you know i support you no matter what. i don't care if you relax it bone straight as long as you're happy with it and you keep it healthy :yep:

Last edited:

Kurlee

"(please dont bother me with accepting my natural and whatnot. Im not in the mood to hear it.I want frizz free hair without all the fuss i currently have to go through)"

:hide:
I loved this line OP! FUNNY!:lachen:

Moroni

Uh....hmm. I thought the pH of baking soda was around 8, and that the pH of relaxers is around 13. Maybe the difference in pH is why your "kink factor" is still kicking.

fluffylocks

Uh....hmm. I thought the pH of baking soda was around 8, and that the pH of relaxers is around 13. Maybe the difference in pH is why your "kink factor" is still kicking.

THIO hair treatment which really soften hair have like 9/10

Acid balanced treatments are like 6/7

But with them, you have to do more manual work to change the curl pattern in your hair while the treatment is on, relaxers you just have to smooth and comb aliitle maybe

CenteredGirl

ph of 7 is normal like water, the farther up the more alkali. Baking soda is a 9.

Conversely going the other way gets more acidic. Lemons,vinegar are about a 2. Acids harden and contract hair. Hence they are used in finishing rinses to smooth the cuticle.

I guess it begs the question? What is a chemical? If it is a natural occuring element, I don't think it is a chemical. Lemons are not achemical. Baking soda is a natural occuring element also
Arm and hammer is pure and natural :grin: I went to their site:

ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda™ not Animal, not Vegetable, but Mineral!
  • Baking Soda, alias sodium bicarbonate, is a naturally occurring substance that is found in all living things, where it helps regulate their pH balance. ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda is made from soda ash, also known as sodium carbonate. To make ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda, the soda ash is mined in the form of an ore called trona. The soda ash is then dissolved into a solution through which carbon dioxide is bubbled and sodium bicarbonate precipitates out, forming "Pure, Safe and Natural"
    ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda. You remember that from chemistry class, don't you?

Last edited:

fluffylocks

Bodipher (sp) relaxer uses Soda Ash. I wonder if its just Baking soda....

So Centered (hey girly!) Do you ever experience rough, dry, tangly ect. hair from the baking soda since higher ph's open cuticles? OR do you dilute it alot so that its just a rinse?

BodipHier Ingredients:

Purified Alkaline Water, 100% Natural Soda Ash & Minerals, 100% Natural Citric, 100% Natural Menthol, Cetyl Wax, Emulsifying Wax, Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Lanotrol, Volpo 10, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, 100% Natural Protein Powder, Shea Butter, 100% Natural Protein Oil, 100% Natural Soy Bean Oil, and Fragrance

Last edited:

SouthernTease

45 minutes under the dryer with Coconut Milk

Lime & Avocado work for me... No need for chemicals...

You should check it out if you haven't already.

I'm like in love with this way of texturizing.

fluffylocks

This is interesting. Im transitiong 4a/4b and im looking for ways to make my hair easier to comb, its very cohesive/stuck together.

Anyway whats interesting is how people say acidy stuff relaxes/texturizes/loosenes like Henna, Lime, ect.

CenteredGirl

Bodipher (sp) relaxer uses Soda Ash. I wonder if its just Baking soda....

So Centered (hey girly!) Do you ever experience rough, dry, tangly ect. hair from the baking soda since higher ph's open cuticles? OR do you dilute it alot so that its just a rinse?

BodipHier Ingredients:

Purified Alkaline Water, 100% Natural Soda Ash & Minerals, 100% Natural Citric, 100% Natural Menthol, Cetyl Wax, Emulsifying Wax, Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Lanotrol, Volpo 10, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, 100% Natural Protein Powder, Shea Butter, 100% Natural Protein Oil, 100% Natural Soy Bean Oil, and Fragrance

Hey Fluffly,

I dilute it alot. Since I prepoo with loads of oil, I put about 2 TBSP to 8 oz of water for first wash and then only 1 TBSP per 8 oz in second wash. I don't think the effects are straightening my hair because I'm not pouring it on my head!

The impact after the first time I did it was VERY VERY SOFT and manageable hair that has gotten EASIER to comb and manage of the last month.

But this thread has gotten me thinking about how often I should use it. My kink factor is important to me. Maybe someone like Klomax can enlighten us. She's a big fan of BS.

Hope that answers your question!:yawn:

PS. VERY Interesting about Bodiphier. How much they charge for Baking Soda????:lachen:

CenteredGirl

Southern,

It def works for you. Your hair is BANGING (in a singalong voice):thumbsup:. I tried it and it did not work for me. But I'll try ANYTHING that's natural.

Lucky's Mom

Not trying to Hijack - But Baking soda is my friend big time.
I use it for my hair and my facial scrub - no need for the pricey stuff.....:yep:

SparklingFlame

Never mind
Here is my theory:As you know relaxer runoff tends to occur especially in people who texturize thats why the ends get straight. but if relaxer runoff were to get on natural hair the result would be hair with the same natural curl pattern but little to no frizz. How could you get run off without relaxing? well since its really, really diluted textuizer i would think you could dilute a texturizer w/ water and use that with out risking total loss of natural curl pattern.Neutralizing would be done just like a regular texturizer.

by theory it should have the same curl pattern to it and no "out of curl bends" in it like texturized hair has sometimes.Im trying to get exact measurements and doing more tests on I will keep yall posted! Theres a lot of loop holes and such that I frankly dont have the answer to but I'm gonna go do my research:brainy::user:

This is just a theory but im THIS close to texturizing again. (please dont bother me with accepting my natural and whatnot. Im not in the mood to hear it.I want frizz free hair without all the fuss i currently have to go through)I wont do it until my hair is longer though.

please give me all question comments and concerns! i wonder if this is just a bad idea? Im still trying to think of a way of how it could be applied without dripping all over the place:look:

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody

Ive tried this...It dosent work on my type of hair. and the smell made me want to vomit

hopeful

Hey Fluffly,

I dilute it alot. Since I prepoo with loads of oil, I put about 2 TBSP to 8 oz of water for first wash and then only 1 TBSP per 8 oz in second wash. I don't think the effects are straightening my hair because I'm not pouring it on my head!

The impact after the first time I did it was VERY VERY SOFT and manageable hair that has gotten EASIER to comb and manage of the last month.

But this thread has gotten me thinking about how often I should use it. My kink factor is important to me. Maybe someone like Klomax can enlighten us. She's a big fan of BS.

Hope that answers your question!:yawn:

PS. VERY Interesting about Bodiphier. How much they charge for Baking Soda????:lachen:

Centered Girl, I'm confused by the bolded part. Exactly how are you applying the baking soda/water solution to your hair?

PinkPeony

When I texlax, I protect all previously relaxed hair (with oils) so the run off does not affect it.

I would imagine whether or not the relaxer can be diluted with water successfully depends on the relaxer. Some of the ladies here dilute it with oil. I've never tried diluting it at all. Your theory could possibly work.
:yep:ZDitto.
I protect my previously relaxed hair with condi,oil and grease(I guess I want to be on the safe side:grin:)

CocoGlow

Hey CenteredGirl

I am VERY intersted in your routine....I am strongly considering trying this out ...I was using BS rinses once a month as a clarifying treatment but I would love to use it more often b/c I like the way my hair feels (clean but not stripped)...I was just worried that it may be too much clarifying for my hair....

so you pre-poo w/ a lot of oil..that may be the reason why it's not too drying to your hair

What kind of oils are you pre-pooing with?
Do you apply a lot of products to your hair during the week also?
Are you co-washing at all duing the week or just doing the BS rinses once a week?
Are you deepconditioning afterwards? If so, w/ what?
Do you moisturize you hair w/ anything afterwards?

CenteredGirl

Centered Girl, I'm confused by the bolded part. Exactly how are you applying the baking soda/water solution to your hair?

Sorry if I confused you. What I meant here was that I'm not wetting my hair and pouring a whole boc of BS on my head!

What I am doing is putting 1 to 2 T into an 8 oz applicator bottle and filling with water.

CenteredGirl

Hey CenteredGirl

I am VERY intersted in your routine....I am strongly considering trying this out ...I was using BS rinses once a month as a clarifying treatment but I would love to use it more often b/c I like the way my hair feels (clean but not stripped)...I was just worried that it may be too much clarifying for my hair....

so you pre-poo w/ a lot of oil..that may be the reason why it's not too drying to your hair YES! I do believe you are correct. BS has to cut through ALOT of oil/butter, so my hair shaft is protected!

What kind of oils are you pre-pooing with? My base includes Coconut oil, Olive oil and Castor oil. I mix with Crisco, Hemp and Kokum butter to get the thickness in order to spread it easily. I leave it on overnight.
Do you apply a lot of products to your hair during the week also? I apply product based on the FEEL of my hair. Typically I am applying Whipped Baggy Cream, S-Curl, CFCG, Wave Nouveaux or another water based moisturizer and sealing with Castor, olive, hemp butter whatever about 3-4 times a week. So at week's end, I got some stuff on my hair.
Are you co-washing at all duing the week No or just doing the BS rinses once a week? Yes
Are you deepconditioning afterwards? If so, w/ what? I DC with a mixture of stuff including Nexxus Humectress, Matrix Biolage and sometimes ORS Replenishing Pack. I DC for 1 hour under ghetto hood.
Do you moisturize you hair w/ anything afterwards?
Whipped Baggy Cream, S-Curl, CFCG, Wave Nouveaux...

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I wonder if you can do a baking soda relaxer. I'm so itching to try this. I just don't know how to begin, though.:rolleyes: Another thing to try list...:grin:

hopeful

Sorry if I confused you. What I meant here was that I'm not wetting my hair and pouring a whole boc of BS on my head!

What I am doing is putting 1 to 2 T into an 8 oz applicator bottle and filling with water.

Thanks Centered Girl!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I'm going to try to use a baking soda paste like a relaxer and post my results. I want to see what this can do for me.:rolleyes:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
shoot ill try it too! its not like i have anything better to do:grin: Im a bit skeptical but what the hey