A few questions for those who texturize...

alibi

hair bored
After I transition for a year, I may consider texturizing if I can't manage my natural hair. I wanted to know the following:

1) Do you use an actual texturizer to texturize your hair, or do you just put a relaxer on your hair and leave it on for a shorter amount of time?

2) What results do you get with each, or is it about the same thing? (i.e. does one make your hair straighter/curlier?)

3) What are the pros and cons of texturizing? Is it really the best of both worlds like some say, in terms of being able to have texture while still being able to straighten easily?

blue_flower

1. From what I know there are texturizer kits for people with short hair. I think when you're hair is longer then you use a relaxer. Usually a mild one, but it also depends on your hair type and what look your going for. My hair is 3c/4a so I used Motions mild w/oil. After I did a strand test I determined 10 minutes was good to leave the relaxer in.

2)For the results, it depends on your hair type and/or how long you leave the relaxer in. Curlycrl is an expert on texturizing and she always suggests doing a strand test on different areas of your head because you can have more than one hair type. With my hair some parts of the front came out a bit straight even though I did that part last. The rest of my hair came out perfect.

3) Pros: manageability, noticeable length, easier to straighten (w/ wetsets), can go longer without touch-ups, no extremely different textures

Cons: I can't actually think of any.

Feli

Anayapooh, I am texturized and in my opnion it's kind of like being relaxed. My hair dresser applies a mild relaxer for about 2 minutes (if that). My hair does not come out bone striaght, when wet it's wavy but definitely not curly. It's 100% more managable after washing and easier to straighten. I guess it depends on the texture of your hair. Everyone gets different results. My sister on the other hand, when texturized is more of a deep wavy/curly hair type, but her hair is very curly in it's natural state.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
1) Do you use an actual texturizer to texturize your hair, or do you just put a relaxer on your hair and leave it on for a shorter amount of time? For myself, I wouldn't use a texturizer kit because they're usually no-lye and I don't use those. I did see a Gentle Treatment lye texturizer kit at Sallys a few weeks ago though. I prefer Revlon Realistic lye (mild). I used to use Regular strength to stretch out my curls more, but now that it is longer, I am using mild. As blueflower mentioned above, strand tests are important. You need to get the strength AND timing right for YOUR hair.

2) What results do you get with each, or is it about the same thing? (i.e. does one make your hair straighter/curlier?) Ditto what blueflower said. Thanks for the compliment blueflower.

3) What are the pros and cons of texturizing? Is it really the best of both worlds like some say, in terms of being able to have texture while still being able to straighten easily? Ditto what blueflower said again. I didn't think anyone was listening to me when I say "do a strand test" because it seems like many don't do it. lol

I'd like to add that I can still wear hairstyles that I wore when I was natural, such as wash/rinse and go (but with much less shrinkage...which is why I texturized) or two-strand twists. My hair is still curly enough to allow the twists to curl around each other on the ends and they will be secure. Another thing is you can have curly hair without doing braid-outs or twist outs.

Cons: I can't think of any either, but if I had to name one, I'd say that it is trickier than relaxing straighter. I don't know if that's a "con", but it's something to consider and it's why you will need to do a strand test on various sections of your hair. If you find that you cannot apply the relaxer quickly enough, you may want to relax, then neutralize a section at a time.

GodMadeMePretty

Ayanapooh, you must have read my mind. I was thinking of asking the same thing.

I know that my hair isn't going to be curly (except in the areas where I have actual spirals), but I don't want it to be like the crown part of my hair which is a frizzy straight. Most of my hair is wavy. I want manageability which I only get if I wash my hair (conditioner or rinse through) every day. I only want to be rinsing every 2-3 days.

One more question, if texturizing is more like natural than relaxed, does that mean that when dry you can't comb through it without major breakage? And does "relaxed, but not bone straight = texturized?" (This question is for Allandra).

Thanks ayanapooh for posting. I'm 23 weeks post-relaxer and was thinking the other day that I'm going to have a hard time managing my hair. I long for the fine strands that my daughter has. We have the same hair, but hers is finer and more manageable when dry than mine is. Hmmm, maybe I answered my own question. I can comb through hers when dry although I don't.

shinyblackhair

Hmmm...I am really considering doing this to my daughter (will be 8 in June). I just want to take the "edge" off. Her hair is so thick. It's beautiful, I don't want to mess that up, but I would like for it to be more managable (so would she actually).

I think I'm going to do the strand test on her today...

btw, how does one do a strand test anyway?

CurlyCrly

I cannot comb through my hair once it is dry because it is very thick. However, a friend of mine has texturized hair that is finer and not as thick and she combs hers when it is wet, which gives her wavy hair once dry. She can comb that. If she does not comb it when it is wet, it is curly when dry. I don't know if she can comb it or not, but it does not look combable to me. I'll ask her though. I've never tried combing mine when it is wet to see if I had combable waves. I only comb mine when it's soaking wet or with conditioner on it.

CurlyCrly

[ QUOTE ]
shinyblackhair said:

I think I'm going to do the strand test on her today...

btw, how does one do a strand test anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

What I do is take a coil and separate it and snip off hair at the root. I take about 10 hairs. I tape them together securely at the end (not the root-new growth). I then tape it to a piece of cardboard or cardstock. I label the paper with the section of my head that it came from. I label the time that I applied the relaxer to it and the amount of time I plan to leave it on. I smooth it for the amount of time I'd smooth it if the hair was still attached to my head. I neutralize and condition it, then air dry. The reason I take a coil and separate it is because I can see how it will curl up once it air dries.

I usually do a strand test of the top, side, upper back and sometimes the nape as well. These all have different textures. Even though I've been texturizing for several years, I still do strand tests from time to time. Sometimes when I retouch, I do not retouch the sides because the hair is much finer there and grows more slowly.

buffalosoldier

I use S-curl regular texturiser and I basically just slap it on the roots it takes about 10/15 minutes it is very easy.
for me it just makes my hair more manageable takes out some of the frizz and the thickness. there isnt that much difference in the way my hair looks but you do notice a huge difference if that makes any sense. my hair responds better to products and doesnt feel as dense
I used to relax my hair and wear it curly also and it looked alright but I think it looks healthier texturised.

personally i think that it is harder to straighten your hair with a texturiser than a relaxer but I have never been any good at that anyway so it is probably just me.

HTH

anikalia

[ QUOTE ]
ayanapooh said:
After I transition for a year, I may consider texturizing if I can't manage my natural hair. I wanted to know the following:

1) Do you use an actual texturizer to texturize your hair, or do you just put a relaxer on your hair and leave it on for a shorter amount of time?

2) What results do you get with each, or is it about the same thing? (i.e. does one make your hair straighter/curlier?)

3) What are the pros and cons of texturizing? Is it really the best of both worlds like some say, in terms of being able to have texture while still being able to straighten easily?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I use a mild relaxer mixed with conditioner, left on between 5-7 minutes. Please do a strand test like others have said. I wouldn't cut out sections of my hair for this, but find and inconspicuous area. And if you aren't sure about the time, always go with less. Better safe than sorry!
2. Not sure.
3. It's great because you can wear your hair out with less shrinkage, and natural styles with less tangling. I don't wear my hair straight often, because doesn't stay straight for long.

alibi

hair bored
anikalia,

What type of relaxer do you use (brand & lye/no lye), and what kind/how much conditioner to you mix it with???

Curlycrly,

What is your hair type??

DahomeyAhosi

) Do you use an actual texturizer to texturize your hair, or do you just put a relaxer on your hair and leave it on for a shorter amount of time?

I use Mizani sensitive scalp lye or Affirm mild lye with fiberguard. I leave them on as long as a regular relaxer (or I should say my stylist does). My hair type is 4a/b mostly b.

I had to apply affirm and then re-apply the mizani to the entire length to get the texture I wanted. I have curls now which I never thought was possible because of my hair texture. One of these days I will post pics.

Pros - much easier to manage the natural hair, if you don't get the texture you want on the first try you can always reapply
cons - it is a chemical and we all know breaking hair bonds is not good....i had significant shedding after the first texturizer

LiqueXX

Thank you guys for the advice and Ayanapooh for asking. I remember when I wanted a wash and wear look, my stylist would say that because of my different hair textures 4a/4b (maybe 3b/4a) I could not achieve that look. I then read about wash and wear relaxers and thought maybe. Now reading your post I know that I can do it with several strand test and practice.

Crysdon

I switched to a texturizer after 3 years of having natural hair.

I use Motions Oil in Mild and leave it on for 10 - 12 minutes tops.

It slightly loosened my curl (see my wet hair in my photo album).

Pros: Less time spent on "fixing" my hair, easier rollersets, can wear hair curly or straight.
Cons: Rollersets will flop in humidity. This is why I wear curly hair in the Spring/Summer months.

CurlyCrly

crysdon, your hair is pretty. I need to do a "wet hair" picture too. They seem to show more curl/wave detail.

kandyland

[ QUOTE ]
DahomeyAhosi said:
) Do you use an actual texturizer to texturize your hair, or do you just put a relaxer on your hair and leave it on for a shorter amount of time?

I use Mizani sensitive scalp lye or Affirm mild lye with fiberguard. I leave them on as long as a regular relaxer (or I should say my stylist does). My hair type is 4a/b mostly b.

I had to apply affirm and then re-apply the mizani to the entire length to get the texture I wanted. I have curls now which I never thought was possible because of my hair texture. One of these days I will post pics.

Pros - much easier to manage the natural hair, if you don't get the texture you want on the first try you can always reapply
cons - it is a chemical and we all know breaking hair bonds is not good....i had significant shedding after the first texturizer

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your hair type?

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I love the fullness of your hair, Cysdon. It looks so healthy! You could be in a Pantene commercial tying knots in your hair.

anikalia

[ QUOTE ]
ayanapooh said:
anikalia,

What type of relaxer do you use (brand & lye/no lye), and what kind/how much conditioner to you mix it with???

Curlycrly,

What is your hair type??

[/ QUOTE ]

3c/4a, Hawaiian Silky Mild Lye mixed with Suave coconut or any thick cholesterol-type conditioner (about half and half).

14got

I'm seriously thinking about texturizing mine. It is soo hard to comb through, I can't image how it will be long. My husband will have a fit though.

Isis

1. I use a mild relaxer on my hair for 1/2 the recommended time. For me I leave it on for 10 minutes (I smooth it also). I've never used a product called a texturizer. I started doing this when I came to LHCF on my already relaxed hair, by accident.

2. For my 4b hair, it loosens the kink enough so I can manage it better. I still have some of the texture in my hair so it is not straight.

3. I feel the pros for me are stronger, thicker healthier hair, easier to manage and style, less difference between my hair and my natural hair (as was mentioned), less shrinkage.
No cons that I can think of right now.

Chichi

I use Affirm Fiberguard Mild Lye for 13 minutes doing some smoothing until I achieve the desired effect - usually about 80% straight.

I could image this same relaxer being used as a texturizer without the smoothing.

Chichi :bdance:

Shalilac

Sorry for jacking this thread, but I believe my question is semi-related...

Can you transistion from relaxed hair to texturized hair? Is it possible w/o killing yourself?

Thanks!

Jenai

A texturizer is nothing more then a mild relaxer, so yes it is possible. That is what I am currently trying to do. So far so good.

Queenie

Shalilac said:
Sorry for jacking this thread, but I believe my question is semi-related...

Can you transistion from relaxed hair to texturized hair? Is it possible w/o killing yourself?

Thanks!

I did precisely that 1yr & 8mo ago. I use the same thing that I used to relax for 1/2 the time.