Healthy Hair from Rollersetting

mrshicks2002

Would you say that overall your hair is healthy or healthier from rollersetting.

What products are you using when rollersetting.

Do you sit under the dryer or airdry when rollersetting.

How are you rollering your hair.
1. Mohawk style down the center with sides rolled down

2. Mohawk style down the center with sides rolled upward

3. other

Leslie_C

Would you say that overall your hair is healthy or healthier from rollersetting.
yes, my hair seems like it is much healthier since I started rollersetting...I think its the way it seals/smooths the cuticle and ends. I lose a lot less hair than when I airdried and it looks much more polished.

lacio lacio, chi silk infusion, and sometimes elasta qp wrap/set foam

sit under the dryer

mzcris

Hi there,

Yes my hair is much healthier since I've been roller setting my hair. I use the mohawk method. The products I use to rollerset are as follow:

Leave in cond...Fantasia IC leave in
Serum...Fantasia
Water...

I sit under the dryer and once my hair dryes...I add a little sheen or moisture then wrap my hair...add saran wrap and get back under the dryer for about 10 minutes...once I'm done I have the smooth sleek look without the use of a flat iron...

wheezy807

Overall my hair is healthy
First time- NTM leave in and Fantasia Frizz Buster serum

Next time- only lacio lacio
sleep under a soft bonnet dryer

How are you rollering your hair

Dposh167

Would you say that overall your hair is healthy or healthier from rollersetting. yes definitely! I used to ALWAYS airdry my hair but never saw any length retention until now. ever since i've started my journey i've been rollersetting.

What products are you using when rollersetting. giovanni direct leave-in; followed by lacio lacio; & castor oil on ends; then i spray a lil ion heat protectant all over hair

Do you sit under the dryer or airdry when rollersetting. 9 outta 10 times i sit under dryer. but i've done the airdry once or twice.

3. other

wow i didn't know there were all different ways of doing it. i just slap the rollers in wherever they fit:lachen:

mrshicks2002

yes, my hair seems like it is much healthier since I started rollersetting...I think its the way it seals/smooths the cuticle and ends. I lose a lot less hair than when I airdried and it looks much more polished.

lacio lacio, chi silk infusion, and sometimes elasta qp wrap/set foam

sit under the dryer

That is the #1 reason that I am thinking about going to start rollersetting at least once a week. (In blue above)

mrshicks2002

Would you say that overall your hair is healthy or healthier from rollersetting. yes definitely! I used to ALWAYS airdry my hair but never saw any length retention until now. ever since i've started my journey i've been rollersetting.

What products are you using when rollersetting. giovanni direct leave-in; followed by lacio lacio; & castor oil on ends; then i spray a lil ion heat protectant all over hair

Do you sit under the dryer or airdry when rollersetting. 9 outta 10 times i sit under dryer. but i've done the airdry once or twice.

3. other

wow i didn't know there were all different ways of doing it. i just slap the rollers in wherever they fit:lachen:

I am loving all that shine you got going on in that avi!:yep:

mrshicks2002

Overall my hair is healthy
First time- NTM leave in and Fantasia Frizz Buster serum

Next time- only lacio lacio
sleep under a soft bonnet dryer

How are you rollering your hair

:lachen:No not sleeping under the soft bonnet dryer. I have and love it because they are just to convenient.

mrshicks2002

thanks hun:grin:....i'm lovin' ur length...we can switch if u'd like:lachen:

Thank you too. Well I have a goal that I am trying to reach, so I guess I better pass on it this time. My first goal is thick and healthy APL hair and last goal is thick and healthy BSL.

Jade Feria

Yes, and I love the body and bounce that my hair gets from it.

A little Giovanni Direct Leave-In, a little Lottabody setting lotion (or Elasta QP setting lotion)

Depends. If I have other things to do, I airdry. Otherwise I sit under the dryer

That's how I do it.....I didn't know people rolled the sides upward....how does that turn out?

3. other
my responses above

pear

I made some changes to my rollersetting techniques during my last wash and I lost very little hair (I was shocked). I have also lost quite a bit of hair in the past so I think that these changes definitely worked for me!

Definitely as long as I use a good detangling shampoo and conditioner. I have made several unsuccessful attempts at air drying. My 4B hair isn't having it! :nono:

Lacio Lacio

Sat under the dryer on med/high heat

Mohawk with sides up. Definitely check out Macherie's tutorial on her website. It made all of the difference in the world for me!!!

3. other

My new growth is fierce so rollersetting becomes quite a challenge for me a few weeks post relaxer. What I did differently this time is used a moisturizing shampoo (Elasta QP Creme Conditioning), used an ORS replenshing pack (AMAZING SLIP!!!) and most importantly for me, I washed my hair in sections this time. While my hair was still dry, I parted it into the mohawk and put elastic bands on each section. I shampooed and conditioned each section separately so when It became time to rollerset, my hair was already sectioned off (less manipulation). Another change I made thanks to Macherie and looking through the hair albums of others on the board was that I used clips to hold my rollers in place instead of using the plastic roller caps.

A combination of the above changes to my routine lead to SIGNIFICANTLY less breakage.

My last step was to use MAcherie's technique for Saran Wrap to wrap my hair. As you can see I was all up on Macherie's website! :lachen:

Angelicus

Would you say that overall your hair is healthy or healthier from rollersetting? My hair is very healthy, thick, full of volume and shiny thanks to rollersetting. I am actually a daily bunner and wear my hair down sparingly but when I wear it down, I always roller set my hair.

What products are you using when rollersetting? Let me first say that I always deep condition my hair before roller setting my hair. Setting requires a lot of manipulation and combing for me. I wash and condition my hair in sections too. Years ago I used to use creamy conditioners as my leave-in (L'Oreal Unfrizz Smoothing Treatment). Now, sometimes I use Lacio Lacio or Silicon Mix Leave-in Conditioners. Other times I may use ORS Mousse or KeraCare Setting Lotion (heavily diluted). After I finish rolling, I spray oil sheen all over my head. I also spray a little oil sheen before removing them.

Do you sit under the dryer or airdry when rollersetting? Under my ION ionic hooded dryer.

How are you rollering your hair. I use the method provided by Susana at http://www.geocities.com/qreusgurl/RollerExample.html

The best advice I can give to someone that is roller setting is to section the hair before starting the process.

ravenmerlita

Definitely.

Whatever is handy. My favorites are Kerastase Lait Nutri Sculpt (protective creamy leave-in), Kerastase ChromaPerfect (ligher leave-in that promotes shine) or Ciment Thermique (heat protectant/heat-activated reconstructor).

Under dryer.

Mohawk style down the center with sides rolled vertically.

Determined22

Yes. I've been rollersetting consistently for about 6 weeks now, and I've noticed a difference in my hair already. It seems to be smoother and I've been seeing less breakage.

Giovanni direct leave-in and Elasta QP design foam

I sit under the dryer on med/high heat.

This is the only way I can get my rollers to clip tight. Rolling down doesn't work for me. When I'm being lazy I do my own version of the ponytail method, I make about 12 little ponytails on my head and then roll up the hair and sit under the dryer.

Miss*Tress

I've been roller setting ever since I got my first relaxer and it is effective for smoothing my natural hair. Look ma, no (direct) heat!

- Water
- Lately, a mix of coconut, castor, and ylang ylang oils

Soft bonnet dryer; airdried when my hair was shorter and it would dry overnight. Airdrying in rollers gives very smooth results and I recommend it for shorter hair.

No. 1

3. other

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
ITA and u are far from bald. Looks like u have already gotten a lot of growth back! It looks great! Whats ur secret?

Thanks so much! My avi pic is from July so I actually have to update it. Basically I just started strecting my relaxers and limited the heat (of course, I rollerset too!):grin: Also, deep conditioning has made a huge difference.

Last edited:

Blkprincess

Would you say that overall your hair is healthy or healthier from rollersetting. Definitely yes, it has really helped my ends especially because it really smooths them out.

Proclaim glossing polish and either Motions wrap foam or Elasta QP foam, less is best.

I always airdry, but I plan on getting a new hooded dryer for every so often.

I recently started trying it this way as well as rolled upward

3. other
I've always started in the back first, I part from ear to ear. I work from the bottom up and then I would set the front.

mrshicks2002

I made some changes to my rollersetting techniques during my last wash and I lost very little hair (I was shocked). I have also lost quite a bit of hair in the past so I think that these changes definitely worked for me!

Definitely as long as I use a good detangling shampoo and conditioner. I have made several unsuccessful attempts at air drying. My 4B hair isn't having it! :nono:

Lacio Lacio

Sat under the dryer on med/high heat

Mohawk with sides up. Definitely check out Macherie's tutorial on her website. It made all of the difference in the world for me!!!

3. other

My new growth is fierce so rollersetting becomes quite a challenge for me a few weeks post relaxer. What I did differently this time is used a moisturizing shampoo (Elasta QP Creme Conditioning), used an ORS replenshing pack (AMAZING SLIP!!!) and most importantly for me, I washed my hair in sections this time. While my hair was still dry, I parted it into the mohawk and put elastic bands on each section. I shampooed and conditioned each section separately so when It became time to rollerset, my hair was already sectioned off (less manipulation). Another change I made thanks to Macherie and looking through the hair albums of others on the board was that I used clips to hold my rollers in place instead of using the plastic roller caps.

A combination of the above changes to my routine lead to SIGNIFICANTLY less breakage.

My last step was to use MAcherie's technique for Saran Wrap to wrap my hair. As you can see I was all up on Macherie's website! :lachen:

I am glad to hear that the changes have made a difference in less breakage. Thats good to know!

Yes she have some beautiful hair and I plan to order her dvd soon.

Last edited:

2Cute!

Absolutely. I'll never go back to blow drying!

I use water and a leave in. Sometimes I'll spray with oil sheen before I sit under the dryer.

I sit under the dryer for about an hour and 10 minutes.

Mohawk style down the center with sides rolled down.

mrshicks2002

Would you say that overall your hair is healthy or healthier from rollersetting? My hair is very healthy, thick, full of volume and shiny thanks to rollersetting. I am actually a daily bunner and wear my hair down sparingly but when I wear it down, I always roller set my hair.

What products are you using when rollersetting? Let me first say that I always deep condition my hair before roller setting my hair. Setting requires a lot of manipulation and combing for me. I wash and condition my hair in sections too. Years ago I used to use creamy conditioners as my leave-in (L'Oreal Unfrizz Smoothing Treatment). Now, sometimes I use Lacio Lacio or Silicon Mix Leave-in Conditioners. Other times I may use ORS Mousse or KeraCare Setting Lotion (heavily diluted). After I finish rolling, I spray oil sheen all over my head. I also spray a little oil sheen before removing them.

Do you sit under the dryer or airdry when rollersetting? Under my ION ionic hooded dryer.

How are you rollering your hair. I use the method provided by Susana at http://www.geocities.com/qreusgurl/RollerExample.html

The best advice I can give to someone that is roller setting is to section the hair before starting the process.

I love your hair. So beautiful, healthy and thick.

Thanks for the link and If I could only imagine someone not sectioning their hair before trying to roll it.:wallbash:

mrshicks2002

Absolutely. I'll never go back to blow drying!

I use water and a leave in. Sometimes I'll spray with oil sheen before I sit under the dryer.

I sit under the dryer for about an hour and 10 minutes.

Mohawk style down the center with sides rolled down.

Wow, look at that avi. Now thats what I call some gorgeous hair.:yep:

ShiShiPooPoo

Would you say that overall your hair is healthy or healthier from rollersetting. Absolutely healthier, silkier, smoother too ironically. I have been rollersetting as my only form of heat for about 4 months now.

What products are you using when rollersetting. I saturate my hair with Silk Fusion Repair Oil and it renders a marvelous shine which is mandatory in my book. I don't like to use a lot of product.

Do you sit under the dryer or airdry when rollersetting. Usually I air dry first (just so I can take care of some housework and stuff like I'm supposed to be folding clothes right now but instead I'm on LHCF but I digress...) then sit under the dryer to finish it up later.

1. Mohawk style down the center with sides rolled down-usually this way

3. other-right now I have the rollers just every which a way.

LovelyLionessa

Rollersetting is definitely the healthiest styling option I have found for silky hair with body.

Lacio Lacio or Aveda Hang Straight sometimes mixed w/a little ORS Mousse.

I dry under my Babyliss ionic hood dryer.

Mohawk style down the center with sides rolled down

BTW Anky, I agree, your hair looks lovely!