naturals who've bc'd more than once, What have you learned

choconillaprincess

the second time around?

i was just trying to think about the things i would like to tell myself the first time i bc'd... the first time around i thought because i didn't have a relaxer my hair was invincible... now i know better lol

so what i learned is that i need to lay off the heat and color and quit playing in my hair all the dang time trying to be cute... now that i just cowash and leave it alone it's like i have a new head of healthy natural hair!

so what have you learned

I've learned the importance of consistent detangling. I used to be a figder detangler but once i hit past APL it just gets to be too much.

I also have learned alot about how my hair feels about protein and how I deprived Lola of her protein.

Daily moisturizing also. I knew I needed to moisturize, I just wasn't doing it effectively.

Hmm what else. Lola (my hair:drunk:) really just likes to be left alone.

This is my 3rd big chop- original, once after a failed texlax (ended up BONE STRAIGHT) and once after hitting APL seemingly overnight and being overwhelmed with all the tangles and dryness

I'm transitioning right now. I learned:

porosity, kind of
how to transition long term
how to search and destroy my split ends
less is more
to use the split ender
how to balance my protein and moisture
finger combing is my friend

The first time I BC'd in 2005 thinking that my natural hair was stronger and more resilient than my previous relaxed hair; but I was still struggling to find proper products, regimen that works for my fine 3c hair

The second time I BC'd 1/2011 I know now exactly what went wrong the first time so I am more equipped with knowledge.

Copied & posted from my word document:

• No matter how hard I try to incorporate it, my hair HATES coconut oil, olive oil and worst of all shea butter!!
  • Wet baggying causes weak ends
  • Protective style more often vs. wash n go (mid shaft splits)
  • Do not use cheap, low quality "moisturizing products" (i.e Queen Helens cholesterol, cheap water based sprays in the ethnic section (blue & white label), leaving in cheap suave conditioner, olive oil moisturizing lotion)
  • Henna dry's out hair causing breakage and excess weight
  • DO not co-wash hair every single day using cheap suave conditioners
  • Maintain/importance of a Good diet and exercise
  • Most importantly do NOT Jump on every band wagon (i.e baggying, henna, baking soda powder as a cleanser)
  • Investing in a shower filter saved my hair
  • My hair loves dominican, natural products (i.e KCKT, KCCC, Trader Joes) and aphogee hard protein
  • Having fine hair is hard to retain but with proper moisture-protein balance and protective styling/low-manipulation styles I will eventually make my goal of waist-length within the next few years.
  • Constant flat-ironing even with heat protectant disturbs my curls and therefore are not invincible to heat
  • Air drying in twists/braids leads to a tangles mess with ssks , splits

So as you can see I have learned a ton about my hair since being natural for 7 years :yep:

Last edited:
The first time I went natural I knew nothing about this site. I only went natural because I moved from North Carolina to Texas and didn't have a stylist I could trust. I was washing my hair once a week and flat ironing it promptly after blowdrying and I never wore my curls. If they could even be called that. I destroyed my hair with heat.

So when I decided to transition and go natural this time, I only used heat at a maximum five times a year and I protective styled.

I have learned that:

My hair is too delicate for constant heat!!!!!
My hair likes to be wet! (meaning I can't go weeks without at least co-washing my hair or just letting the water run over it.
Trimming your hair is not the enemy. I had damage and it had to go! and my curls are more bouncy with nice ends.
MOISTURE is key to prevent splits and tangles!
To not flat iron without a protective leave-in!
That I really didn't need to do much to my hair and it would thrive!
That detangling is so easy on my natural hair!
That I only need a couple of bottles of conditioner! I don't need every product sold in the store!

And I am still learning as my BC was just last week! But I am feeling good about my hair!

for me it was commitment

the first time I BCd in 1999 was because I was leaving home to go to another country for grad school, i didnt know if Id be able to find a suitable person to relax my hair so I just chopped it off. after about 1 year I found someone and relaxed, when i came back home in 2002 I stayed relaxed for another year or so, then BCd again, this time I really sturggled with my hair, got fed up and relaxed again in abt 2005.

I found hair boards in 2008 and decided that I was going natural for the 3rd and last time in 2009 when I was on a course in Chnia and realized that only the Black ladies had relaxed hair (Black ladies from the caribbean, africa, the seychelles and south america). It really got me thinking about why and IF I really needed to relax my hair.

this was a real paradigm shift for me, no Im not a natural natzi now, just FOR ME that experience really made me question why I thought it was OK, normal, a right of passage even, to permanently change the look/texture of the hair growing out my scalp.

So what did I learn? I learned that natural hair isnt hard or difficult to deal with, its just that I needed to learn how to manage it, and its been smooth saialing ever since.

I was told by a stylist that in order for me to have any curl definition I must use a texturizer. "That's the only way you can keep the curls you see when your hair is wet, when dry.":nono:

I tried that and not only did my hair come out bone straight, but I made a decision that day to only trust myself when it comes to taking care of my natural tresses. So I shaved my head a second time and never looked back.

I'm chemical free and loving every minute of it!

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it.". I was going so strong with great length and retention then I put bleach in the front. I started growing that out then I put a BKT treatment in my hair. I'm not saying chemically treated hair is bad but the way I was going about it was and I knew better but I just wanted what I wanted. Every time I do what I am supposed to do I get great results but when I stray then I bomb-heavily and have to start over... I've learned to BABY me ends and that cutting the bad off benefits the overall welfare of my hair.

I learned that I will need to take extra steps to preserve the health of my hair if I color it. Protein treatment? what's that? Never heard of it. Now I know. :yep:

I've learned that wash n go's are a no-no if I want to avoid tangles and knots. Also less really is more. The first go round I had extreme product junkyism; any and every 'natural' product went straight into my fro. Now I know what does and does not work for my hair.

ETA: My first BC was in 2006...I was young and relatively dumb. Since then I've learned that aint no magic potion, oil or butter gonna make your hair grow :spinning: You have to nourish your hair from the inside out in order to get strong, healthy strands. Then its up to you to retain whatever length you get.

Last edited:
I bcd a cpl times...mainly case I wasn't happy with my texture..my hair can be really frizzy and didn't look the way I wanted..but I learned the my issue was about length more than anything..patience is the key..I know my hair..I know what to do and what to expect...I luv that when I bcd the last time in 09 I didn't revert back to a relaxer or any other quick fix..u have to be patient and really learn ur hair in its natural state..the longer my hair is..the easier it is to maintain..and the better it looks..

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I've learned to love what I see when I look at my hair.
moisture, moisture, moisture
dye is my hair's best friend (because it lifts my tightly sealed cuticles and allows mositure in)
patience is key

Back