Curl Definition

MsKipani

Natural ladies - do you use any products to help define your curls? Curl defining shampoos and conditioners (do those really help?), creams, etc? What works best?

EMJazzy

Happily retired
My hair gets fantastic curl definition from using Garnier Fructis CURL n' SHINE!!!! :love: I use the poo', conditioner and the leave in. :yep:

I will upload some pics to my fotki once I get home from work.

SEMO

My hair gets fantastic curl definition from using Garnier Fructis CURL n' SHINE!!!! :love: I use the poo', conditioner and the leave in. :yep:

I will upload some pics to my fotki once I get home from work.

I agree with her. Whenever I use Garnier Fructis curl and shine (especially the shampoo and conditioner together) I get more defined and separated corkscrew curls than normal. I have to tell you though that when I do this, I get more curls but my hair looks shorter because it curls up so much. And sometimes, especially when I want to wear my hair in a ponytail, I prefer my curls to hang down longer and want them to clump together more. To me it's a tradeoff.

ArrrBeee

I use Fantasia IC gel and Smooth and Shine curl activator mixed at a 50/50 ratio. I spray my hair with water and section and apply.

Miss*Tress

Standard hair grease on wet hair makes my curls stand out when my hair dries.

Last edited:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I love fantasia IC gel, but it would make my hair hard. I mixed some grape seed oil and aloe vera gel in it and now I get max curl definition without the crunchy effect.:thumbsup:

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I love fantasia IC gel, but it would make my hair hard. I mixed some grape seed oil and aloe vera gel in it and now I get max curl definition without the crunchy effect.:thumbsup:

They have a green one now for dry hair that I picked up from target. I havent used it enough to make up my mind about it. My hair seems softer, but it doesnt seem to "coat" it as well and control my edges as well. Normally I used the clear or blue one.

The smooth and shine curl activator someone else mentioned is great also. I used to use it by itself. If you apply it to wet hair, once dry you cant tell its in your hair. You have all softness, no stickyness.

I also like giovanni direct, but I tend to have to use it by itself. It doesnt mix well with other products, it tends to seperate and turn white.

Also if you have build up, try an ACV rinse followed by condtioner with honey in it. I dont use honey often anymore, but it always makes my curls pop.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I use Fantasia IC gel and Smooth and Shine curl activator mixed at a 50/50 ratio. I spray my hair with water and section and apply.

I tried that combo and it gets 2 thumbs up :yep::up: :yep::up: Thanks for suggesting it....I already had both of those in my hair product arsenal. :grin: When it dried my hair felt wonderful to the touch :yep: not sticky at all :nono: and the curl definition is awesome. :love:

kookysnkream

I use Cantu Shea Cream. That stuff works BOMB!

After I wash my hair (shampoo and condition) I lightly dry my hair and I comb thru with a wide tooth comb...section out my hair and generously put on the cream...