Naturals, try detangling before shampooing.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Detangling in the shower I feel rushed and I'm more careless with my hair and this can lead to more breakage and shedding. I've found that detangling before shampooing really works good. I wore a wash n'go for a week w/o detangling at all. Needless to say it was verytangled. By doing this method the in-shower detangling process was almost non-exzistant. My comb glided through so easily. Considering I hadn't combed my hair for a week I lost very little hair doing this.

-What I do is section my dry hair in 4 sections.

-Dampen each section with water or a spray detangler.

-Apply a product that has lots of slip (I used red palm butter and Africa's Best liquid hair mayo).

-Comb through each section very carefully with a wide tooth comb and braid each section.

-Cover w/a shower cap until ready to shampoo (optional).

-When shampooing you can undo the braids or leave them in. What I did was undo them under the shower stream. The stream of the water did the rest of the un-tangling, then I shampoo'd.

I am extremely careful when combing my hair and I monitor breakage closely. I actually put down a light colored towel or piece of paper to see any hair that falls. I like this method because I can take my own sweet time detangling my hair. Hopefully this may help someone with detangling issues.

MissMeWithThatIsh

Thanks for the tip. I usually wait until my hair is soaked. I'm going to detangle with Infusium, as I'm going to need that spray bottle for when my MTG gets here! :grin:

LovelyLionessa

Detangling in the shower I feel rushed and I'm more careless with my hair and this can lead to more breakage and shedding. I've found that detangling before shampooing really works good. I wore a wash n'go for a week w/o detangling at all. Needless to say it was verytangled. By doing this method the in-shower detangling process was almost non-exzistant. My comb glided through so easily. Considering I hadn't combed my hair for a week I lost very little hair doing this.

-What I do is section my dry hair in 4 sections.

-Dampen each section with water or a spray detangler.

-Apply a product that has lots of slip (I used red palm butter and Africa's Best liquid hair mayo).

-Comb through each section very carefully with a wide tooth comb and braid each section.

-Cover w/a shower cap until ready to shampoo (optional).

-When shampooing you can undo the braids or leave them in. What I did was undo them under the shower stream. The stream of the water did the rest of the un-tangling, then I shampoo'd.

I am extremely careful when combing my hair and I monitor breakage closely. I actually put down a light colored towel or piece of paper to see any hair that falls. I like this method because I can take my own sweet time detangling my hair. Hopefully this may help someone with detangling issues.

This makes so much sense, this is brillant. I totally need to do this, I'm relaxed but tangles occur for me too. Detangling in the shower can be nightmarish at times trying to work out those tangles with bottles & tubs of conditioner... :perplexed I even wash in braids in sections detangling, but I believe this pre-wash detangling step is important.

I'm going to give this a try today when I wash as my hair is getting unruly as I'm nearing touch up time. Thanks Pokahontas for posting this. :grin:

turnergirl

I have tried this a million times but I was ready to cry before it was over. I tried it with a thick conditioner but I don't think that was enough slip without my hair being dripping wet. I will invest in some detangler and a new wide tooth comb. I am a denman girl right now.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
This makes so much sense, this is brillant. I totally need to do this, I'm relaxed but tangles occur for me too. Detangling in the shower can be nightmarish at times trying to work out those tangles with bottles & tubs of conditioner... :perplexed I even wash in braids in sections detangling, but I believe this pre-wash detangling step is important.

I'm going to give this a try today when I wash as my hair is getting unruly as I'm nearing touch up time. Thanks Pokahontas for posting this. :grin:

You're welcome Priestess. I feel you on the amount of conditioner. I use a ton! When I do this I probably use half the amount that I normally do.

Your hair looks so pretty in your avatar!

Cichelle

I am DEFINITELY going to try this. I spend entirely too much time in the shower and use too much water. This method just might be what I need. Thanks for sharing!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I am DEFINITELY going to try this. I spend entirely too much time in the shower and use too much water. This method just might be what I need. Thanks for sharing!
Your welcome. Yeah, the longer my hair gets the more my detangling time is. When I wear wash n' go's I get the worst tangles. It is getting to be a pain but I think this will really help. Let me know how it works out.

SparklingFlame

Thats a very good idea Pokahontas!

I just washed my hair and I find that no matter how tangled my hair is it just glides thru the tangles with very minimal shedding. I dont even have to use a heavy conditioner for slip. I used Honey Hemp Cond and its very light and it worked like a charm!

Next time I will try your way. Thanks for sharing!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Thats a very good idea Pokahontas!

I just washed my hair and I find that no matter how tangled my hair is it just glides thru the tangles with very minimal shedding. I dont even have to use a heavy conditioner for slip. I used Honey Hemp Cond and its very light and it worked like a charm!

Next time I will try your way. Thanks for sharing!
Your welcome. You're lucky not have to worry about detangling. The only time I have a real issue is when I do wash n'go's and don't wash for days.

I really want some more Honey Hemp. It gave me no slip but I liked it as a leave-in. I really fell in love with the smell.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Oh thank you for posting this Poca I will have to try this.....when my hair gets longer. :lol:

But when you say Africa's Best Mayo is it the one in the jar?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Oh thank you for posting this Poca I will have to try this.....when my hair gets longer. :lol:

But when you say Africa's Best Mayo is it the one in the jar?
No not that one. I wish I had a pic but it's in a small bottle w/ a green top. It's actually a leave-in moisturizer and it's very slippery and good for detangling. I got it at wal-mart.

LovelyLionessa

You're welcome Priestess. I feel you on the amount of conditioner. I use a ton! When I do this I probably use half the amount that I normally do.

Your hair looks so pretty in your avatar!

Thanks Poka, I'm loving your curls big time!

That Africa's Best Liquid Mayo is a God send, it's hard to believe its even cone free, plus its cheap! :grin:

Mahalialee4

I always section and detangle before shampooing. After the shampoo or conditioning I never have a tangle problem. bonjour

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Oh ok Poca now I see the one you are talking about:

http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/afbeorleinli.html

Another quick question, when your hair is in braids, are you using anything on the ends of your hair to keep it from unraveling? Thanks again. :)
I didn't use anything. I was gonna use rubber bands but I didn't feel like foolin with it. The ends stayed together pretty good since my hair was wet and coated with product.

I think I will buy some little girls snap clips to use for this because it's easy. Isn't that what you use Priestess?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Thanks Poka, I'm loving your curls big time!

That Africa's Best Liquid Mayo is a God send, it's hard to believe its even cone free, plus its cheap! :grin:

Thanks girl. I'm missing my straight hair now though. It's weird, when my hair is curly I miss it being straight, when it's straight I miss it being curly:spinning:.

Blackoutzangel05

Great tip as always you are such a big help...when my hair gets long enough to worry about detangling...I will be sure to use this method...

LovelyLionessa

I didn't use anything. I was gonna use rubber bands but I didn't feel like foolin with it. The ends stayed together pretty good since my hair was wet and coated with product.

I think I will buy some little girls snap clips to use for this because it's easy. Isn't that what you use Priestess?

That's right, I used to use baby barrettes. They're safe and gentle. Once I read the thread Allandra started about using diluted shampoo, I found I didn't need them anymore tho so I stopped using them.

IrisDaVirus

I need to get back to doing this. For a long time I'd spray my hair down with a liquid leave-in and comb it out before I shampooed it. I don't know why I stopped but I need to go back to this routine.

meaganita

I've always had to THOROUGHLY detangle prior to pooing. My hair will LOCK UP on me if those tangles hit water before they see a comb.:nono: Like Pokahontas, I pre-poo with Red Palm Butter too, and I also add EVOO and cover with a cap (if I have time) and leave it in overnight. Gives GREAT slip during the detangling process. I use a widetooth comb as well. I also have to detangle again post-wash. I tried detangling in the shower once to see if it would work for me too; but my hair is so fine and stubborn that I ended up losing too much hair. However, I do admire the ladies that can detangle in the shower though. My hair just ain't havin' it!:lol:

Cichelle

Bumping this up because I tried this method this morning and it's a keeper. This method is going to get me through to hip length. I was getting worried about the amount of time in the shower and the difficulty I was having detangling and wasn't sure how things were going to go from here. This method allows me to take my time and also distribute the conditioner more evenly and thoroughly. It also significantly reduces the amount of water I am using, which is an environmental concern of mine. My hair was virtually tangle free when I rinsed in the shower.

I have had to rethink the way I am caring for my hair as it grows longer. This will be something I adopt into my routine. Thanks, Poka, because it really helps.

zzirvingj

EXCELLENT post!

My method is very similar to this. The night before "wash day", I'll spray my hair with my spray bottle mixture which has diluted Giovanni Direct in it.

Then I section my hair off into maybe like 8 big twists. Except I detangle the sections with my fingers as I'm sectioning and as I'm twisting it, too. I feel like I would have to get it extremely wet if I wanted to detangle each section with a wide-toothed comb. So I just save that for the shower. I add a little Burt's Bee's avocado pre-poo treatment to all the twists, tie it up, and I'm done til the next morning (wash day).

But the "pre-tangle" process really helps come the next morning when it's time to really "detangle" in the shower.

Hmmm....I like that word. "Pre-tangle". I think I have a new LHCF phrase, here! lol

so so chic

This is a great thread! I discovered this a while ago. A few times that I've tried to skip the detangling step, I had a nightmare on my hands. I usually part my hair down the middle, and detangle each side by spraying it down with water (I've found that plain water works just as good any other detangler for me!) and combing through with my K-Cutter comb. I'll then braid each side up. Next, I'll pre-poo, shampoo, and deep condition, leaving my hair in these two sections. It works great, making the detangling process a breeze :yep:.

brownsugarflyygirl

This method doesnt work for me:nono:

I find that I always end up tangling up my hair during the shampoo process. I usually finger detangle my hair with conditioner first....but I dont use the comb until after I shampoo.

Im glad you found a process that works for you though :grin:

meaganita

I find that I always end up tangling up my hair during the shampoo process. I usually finger detangle my hair with conditioner first....but I dont use the comb until after I shampoo.

Just sent you a pm.:)

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Bumping this up because I tried this method this morning and it's a keeper. This method is going to get me through to hip length. I was getting worried about the amount of time in the shower and the difficulty I was having detangling and wasn't sure how things were going to go from here. This method allows me to take my time and also distribute the conditioner more evenly and thoroughly. It also significantly reduces the amount of water I am using, which is an environmental concern of mine. My hair was virtually tangle free when I rinsed in the shower.

I have had to rethink the way I am caring for my hair as it grows longer. This will be something I adopt into my routine. Thanks, Poka, because it really helps.

Your welcome Cichelle. I'm so glad it worked good for you. I figured some people would really like this method and it might not work well for some but for me it's a keeper. I really like that I can take my time and saving water is important to me as well. I find that I need less conditioner now too.

I'm the same as you, I had to re-think my hair care (especially detangling) as my hair has gotten longer. The tangles are a little more persistant now.:wallbash::grin:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas

Maybe you could try to shampoo keeping the braids in. I don't have much success with this method but some do. Just a suggestion.